Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors

Old 01-11-2019, 08:46 AM
  #1  
golden2husky
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2014
Posts: 558
Thanked 137 Times in 95 Posts
Default Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors

After getting a $4,000/year insurance bill from Geico to insure three cars, I gave Liberty Mutual a try. Slightly better coverage for $1,800/year. Being greedy I then opted into the 3-month monitoring devices for two of the cars (the third one is older than OBDII). I figured the Vette was in its winter slumber and my wife does not drive much. I have a car provided by work so 98% of my driving was in that. I figured I would easily get close to the 30% discount. So one day I took the Vette out for some exercise. I drove very carefully to keep the monitor happy but did use Rev Match a number of times. When I checked my computer for the driving record, I had a bunch of "excessive acceleration" events recorded. It seems the device records all quick throttle inputs regardless of the fact that the computer made them. A call to Liberty did nothing to remove the "events" other than the advice to not use rev match.

Just a heads up for the Vette community. And think twice about the monitoring program. Leaving the privacy issues aside, the system is extremely sensitive. What we would all consider normal braking is often logged as excessive. If you had to commute in traffic, your discount would disappear in a week.
golden2husky is offline  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to golden2husky For This Useful Post:
blkvet6 (01-14-2019), BostonVette (01-14-2019), Glennm27 (01-13-2019), GShunter (01-11-2019), jdk541 (01-11-2019), jimmbbo (01-11-2019), MSG C5 (01-11-2019), Rebel Yell (01-11-2019), rogergcam (01-11-2019), sstonebreaker (01-11-2019), Strake (01-13-2019), Thunder22 (01-11-2019), vettpapaw (01-12-2019), VictorBarron (01-14-2019), Yaupon (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:50 AM
  #2  
Ih2lose
CF Senior Member
 
Ih2lose's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Just About 40 Min's from NYC
Posts: 1,619
Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Default

I have GPS tracking on my fleet of work vans and I am surprised at all of the information and reporting a simple plug into the obd port unit can provide.

Yes insurance is crazy, When you make monthly payments its just another payment , When you look at the entire bill its like WOW this is crazy.

Last edited by Ih2lose; 01-11-2019 at 08:52 AM.
Ih2lose is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:01 AM
  #3  
fsvoboda
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,975
Thanked 356 Times in 258 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by golden2husky View Post
After getting a $4,000/year insurance bill from Geico to insure three cars, I gave Liberty Mutual a try. Slightly better coverage for $1,800/year. Being greedy I then opted into the 3-month monitoring devices for two of the cars (the third one is older than OBDII). I figured the Vette was in its winter slumber and my wife does not drive much. I have a car provided by work so 98% of my driving was in that. I figured I would easily get close to the 30% discount. So one day I took the Vette out for some exercise. I drove very carefully to keep the monitor happy but did use Rev Match a number of times. When I checked my computer for the driving record, I had a bunch of "excessive acceleration" events recorded. It seems the device records all quick throttle inputs regardless of the fact that the computer made them. A call to Liberty did nothing to remove the "events" other than the advice to not use rev match.

Just a heads up for the Vette community. And think twice about the monitoring program. Leaving the privacy issues aside, the system is extremely sensitive. What we would all consider normal braking is often logged as excessive. If you had to commute in traffic, your discount would disappear in a week.
I agree. Years ago I was involved in a trial for an unnamed insurance company of one of these monitors, and I had access to all of the detailed results on my V6 Dodge. They were completely inaccurate, recording not just hard acceleration when I was accelerating moderately, but also speeds in excess of those I actually was driving. Ditto for recording hard braking--with no way of knowing that when I did actually brake hard I was avoiding a collision. After the trial I sent the device back, and as a result of the experience I never will use one.
fsvoboda is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 09:53 AM
  #4  
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 12,060
Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,798 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fsvoboda View Post
....Ditto for recording hard braking--with no way of knowing that when I did actually brake hard I was avoiding a collision.
Can understand acceleration but braking? Perhaps just looking at an accelerometer output?

What about all those AHs texting or talking on their cell phone without their full attention on the road. They may not trigger a penalty until they hit someone!

I attribute my fortunate ~60 year record of not having a collision with another car to “Luck” and knowing where all cars are around me at all times. Never use the phone when driving the Vette; iPhone is set at no receiving or sending when moving. Spend all my time looking in all mirrors watching for AHs that are!

PS: I do drive aggressively when there is no traffic on long roads between farm fields where there are no houses. Hit redline in 3rd often and use the brakes agressivly for fun! Any insurance company I allowed to monitor, would surely drop me but I do fine with the Safe Driver Discount from Allstate who I have had as my insurance company for 60 years.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-11-2019 at 10:02 AM.
JerryU is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to JerryU For This Useful Post:
Woodson (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:02 AM
  #5  
rrsperry
CF Senior Member
 
rrsperry's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,530
Thanked 372 Times in 241 Posts
Default

No, never ever, will I allow them to monitor what I do in my car just to get a discount. You watch, they are going to push for it to be a law... Heck, it's bad enough that they can access the semi secret black box in all new cars for crash event data.. But NO!.. No monitoring..

Oh and $4,000 a year for 3 cars? WTF? the Vette is $850 the BMW M3 is 600, My Tacoma is 500 and the wifes Kia Sportage is the most expensive... I thionk I pay $2500 a year for 4 cars two bikes (Aprilia SL1000r and Kawasaki GTR1400... and an ATV...).. I'd really shop around if I were you.. Or move...

Last edited by rrsperry; 01-11-2019 at 10:05 AM.
rrsperry is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to rrsperry For This Useful Post:
Woodson (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:06 AM
  #6  
NurseDale
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2018
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Sidebar, way to save a ton of money by switching FROM geico. I switched years ago to Travelers and got a pretty steep discount aswell
NurseDale is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM
  #7  
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member
 
ImpliedConsent's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 661
Thanked 175 Times in 111 Posts
Default

I watched my older brother play the Allstate Drivewise game. He gets dinged for everything from quick accelerations to quick stops. He's just got a Nissan Armada, nothing sporty or fast. He drives like an old man struggling with bifocals...still gets dinged. Nope.
ImpliedConsent is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 10:19 AM
  #8  
JockamoIPA
CF Senior Member
 
JockamoIPA's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2011
Location: Mandeville LA
Posts: 310
Thanked 43 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rrsperry
No, never ever, will I allow them to monitor what I do in my car just to get a discount. You watch, they are going to push for it to be a law... Heck, it's bad enough that they can access the semi secret black box in all new cars for crash event data.. But NO!.. No monitoring..

Oh and $4,000 a year for 3 cars? WTF? the Vette is $850 the BMW M3 is 600, My Tacoma is 500 and the wifes Kia Sportage is the most expensive... I thionk I pay $2500 a year for 4 cars two bikes (Aprilia SL1000r and Kawasaki GTR1400... and an ATV...).. I'd really shop around if I were you.. Or move...


I will never let an insurance company monitor my driving. No way! OnStar has a driving monitor feature on it which I'm not too crazy about, but no one's reporting that to the insurance. I wonder if the authorities have ever subpoena'd that data after a wreck...

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have a new Explorer that's a company car, our putt around car is a new Corolla, and my daughter also has a new Corolla. The Corollas are insured through USAA and cost about $1,950 every 6 months...what happens when you have a teen driver. Work pays for the Explorer.

I also have 2 Vettes, an 05 M6 Z51 and a 17 GS M7 Z07. I'm paying $1,000 for both per year through NCM. About $400 for the 05 and $600 for the 17.

If you're not daily driving your Vette then you can't go wrong with NCM.

Last edited by JockamoIPA; 01-11-2019 at 10:23 AM.
JockamoIPA is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to JockamoIPA For This Useful Post:
bringe (01-13-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:43 AM
  #9  
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member
 
FLEXjs's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 823
Thanked 156 Times in 82 Posts
Default

No way in hell would I ever put an insurance company monitor on my car no matter how much I thought it might save me.

Nothing good can come of that.
FLEXjs is online now  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FLEXjs For This Useful Post:
Boiler_81 (01-14-2019), Formula52 (01-14-2019), GS60th#47 (01-13-2019), ptalar (01-13-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
  #10  
rogergcam
CF Senior Member
 
rogergcam's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2014
Location: Earleton Fl
Posts: 366
Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Default Insurance dings

"Hi, I'm from Mafia Mutual Insurance Company, and I am here to help you. Where are your women your whiskey, and your cars"!
rogergcam is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:18 AM
  #11  
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor
 
$$$frumnuttin''s Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 1999
Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post--------> will explode in 7 days
Posts: 15,671
Thanked 176 Times in 124 Posts
Default

I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally pushed the annoying rev tab. 😠
$$$frumnuttin' is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:22 AM
  #12  
davepl
CF Senior Member
 
davepl's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 8,233
Thanked 1,405 Times in 937 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
No way in hell would I ever put an insurance company monitor on my car no matter how much I thought it might save me.

Nothing good can come of that.
I wouldn't make too many assumptions about the privacy you have now. Consider London, which is covered by cameras. Cameras that can read plates. So the software can follow your route, trajectory, speed, and everything. No plugin needed.

Generally I consider driving on the road to be something I do in public, so conduct myself as if being watched anyway. Perhaps that's why I've NEVER been pulled over. Ever. And I'm 50+.

Last edited by davepl; 01-11-2019 at 11:23 AM.
davepl is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 11:26 AM
  #13  
justplainjim
CF Senior Member
 
justplainjim's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2014
Posts: 725
Thanked 159 Times in 126 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FLEXjs View Post
No way in hell would I ever put an insurance company monitor on my car no matter how much I thought it might save me.

Nothing good can come of that.
justplainjim is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM
  #14  
kenownr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
kenownr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Saint Clair Shores Mi
Posts: 1,137
Thanked 201 Times in 152 Posts
Default

i'M ALREADY A BIT PARANOID; If you think they are not watching you - THEY ARE!!
No way I'd intentionally give access to an insurance company too monitor my driving no matter the savings. As said above, I don't like the semi-hidden recorder that's already in the car. In my opinion allowing a plug-in to the OB port is a sure way to say "yes I'm guilty" in case you do make a mistake and have an accident. Mistakes happen!! Don't jump right out and say "yes I did it". JMO
kenownr is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:16 PM
  #15  
AaronZ51
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
AaronZ51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2008
Location: Kent WA
Posts: 1,447
Thanked 274 Times in 148 Posts
Default

I still get the Onstar driving reports and can't make sense of it most times - the number of times it says I had hard acceleration or hard braking on a day when I was just commuting to/from work and no spirited driving... The algorithms must be set to Prius standards where if you give it 1/2 throttle in a Prius, it's normal driving. 1/10th throttle in the Z06 would be twice the acceleration of the Prius so you get dinged for "hard acceleration.
No way, no how will I voluntarily let someone monitor my every move. It's too George Orwellian for me...
AaronZ51 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:17 PM
  #16  
V Vette
CF Senior Member
 
V Vette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2005
Location: Cape Coral, Fl
Posts: 4,395
Thanked 81 Times in 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rogergcam View Post
"Hi, I'm from Mafia Mutual Insurance Company, and I am here to help you. Where are your women your whiskey, and your cars"!
LOL I wish they had insurance! While we are all worrying about KIM JUN fu*c nuts, no one here is watching the INSURANCE and PHARMACEUTICAL companies!!!!!!!!
V Vette is online now  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM
  #17  
speed4tu
CF Senior Member
 
speed4tu's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: LaGrange NC
Posts: 562
Thanked 82 Times in 61 Posts
Default

It's just a bad idea to have something like that in a car. If I had it my insurance company would probably drop my insurance all together. lol
speed4tu is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:37 PM
  #18  
4thC4at60
CF Senior Member
 
4thC4at60's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2002
Location: Commerce Texas
Posts: 3,322
Thanked 547 Times in 255 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by $$$frumnuttin' View Post
I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally pushed the annoying rev tab. 😠
First thing I do after starting my car is press the rev tab.

4thC4at60 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 PM
  #19  
Matthewstorm
CF Senior Member
 
Matthewstorm's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 846
Thanked 68 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60 View Post
First thing I do after starting my car is press the rev tab.
Matthewstorm is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM
  #20  
madrob2020
CF Senior Member
 
madrob2020's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: MOUNTAIN HOME Arkansas
Posts: 1,543
Thanked 390 Times in 282 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davepl View Post

Generally I consider driving on the road to be something I do in public, so conduct myself as if being watched anyway. Perhaps that's why I've NEVER been pulled over. Ever. And I'm 50+.
S0-0-0-0, Seems you havenít had ANY fun at all since you started driving. Just messing with you!
madrob2020 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Be wary of Rev Match and Insurance monitors


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: