Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

I think the final chapter regarding PPF protection has not been written yet. Found this post on the Internet. This pilot removed his covering of Xpel Ultimate in Dec 2017 from his vehicle after having it on his car for 5 years. Here is his quote about his experience.

"Garaged, usually covered inside garage, out of direct sunlight, climate controlled and never waxed w carnauba over the film... see for yourself when considering spending 2k to put film over your beautiful paint.

xPel film was 5 years old, and prob didn't have 10,000 miles on it."

Last edited by MMD; 01-12-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^^^It obviously wasn't installed correctly.
Don't you think? I had a old Dodge Caravan with PPF on it for 15 yrs. It was perfect when I got rid of it. You have to get reviews before you have someone install it.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:56 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

^ sorry, but that dude used Plexus to clean his film. Plexus contains light naptha which is a petroleum distillate. USER ERROR...you're not suppose to use products with PD's on Xpel.
Old 01-12-2019, 02:23 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
Do you obsess over stone chips? Do you accept them as a price to pay for the privilege of owning a vette? Do you take reasonable precautions to avoid stone chips? How much do or did stone chips decrease the value of your vette?
Everyone here probably has a different take on why he/she owns a Corvette. Answer that and you probably can predict each person's attitude toward chips. If you're mostly a driver, chips are an inevitable result of that activity. If you're a person who is having fun making your C7 into a work of art, they are a huge problem.

I'm happy with either attitude or anything in between.

I just don't want my chipped paint to lead to body rust!
Old 01-12-2019, 02:58 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
^ sorry, but that dude used Plexus to clean his film. Plexus contains light naptha which is a petroleum distillate. USER ERROR...you're not suppose to use products with PD's on Xpel.
Not according to Xpel website. According to them if you ever have any staining on your film they recommend "To remove stains from other substances such as insects, bird droppings or other compounds, use acetone or lacquer thinner with a soft microfiber cloth." These chemicals are petroleum distallates.

Also of note from the Xpel website is that they don't make a claim that their film will not yellow. They only indicate "XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS is warrantied for 10 years against a range of issues including yellowing." What they don't mention is that they don't actually pick-up the total costs of labor. They only give the installer a nominal amount which doesn't cover the entire labor costs. They refer to this as their "coverage allowance ". They will pickup the material costs only if they authorize the repair, not the original installer.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:13 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

The XPel folks are on this forum and may chime in I suppose, you can see a post that they made here about not using products with petroleum distillates. From what I recall there is a percentage of PD that they are concerned with and it also applies to regular use of it. If you have a troublesome spot to clean, they do say to use lacquer thinner or something similar, but they are not suggesting you clean the whole car with it and they do recommend immediately putting some protectant back on (they will recommend their own products). As always, you should start with the least aggressive cleaning to remove bugs or other issues, and if need be, step up to the more aggressive to get it off. If someone is using something with high PD to routinely clean or polish their car with XPel on it they are asking for trouble in my book.

Originally Posted by MMD

Not according to Xpel website. According to them if you ever have any staining on your film they recommend "To remove stains from other substances such as insects, bird droppings or other compounds, use acetone or lacquer thinner with a soft microfiber cloth." These chemicals are petroleum distallates.

Also of note from the Xpel website is that they don't make a claim that their film will not yellow. They only indicate "XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS is warrantied for 10 years against a range of issues including yellowing." What they don't mention is that they don't actually pick-up the total costs of labor. They only give the installer a nominal amount which doesn't cover the entire labor costs. They refer to this as their "coverage allowance ". They will pickup the material costs only if they authorize the repair, not the original installer.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mountainears
The XPel folks are on this forum and may chime in I suppose, you can see a post that they made here about not using products with petroleum distillates. From what I recall there is a percentage of PD that they are concerned with and it also applies to regular use of it. If you have a troublesome spot to clean, they do say to use lacquer thinner or something similar, but they are not suggesting you clean the whole car with it and they do recommend immediately putting some protectant back on (they will recommend their own products). As always, you should start with the least aggressive cleaning to remove bugs or other issues, and if need be, step up to the more aggressive to get it off. If someone is using something with high PD to routinely clean or polish their car with XPel on it they are asking for trouble in my book.
Yes, I read their recommendation in the link you gave but their website also recommends using distillates when cleaning stains. Xpel does not claim their film will not yellow over time. They only indicate they have a limited 10 year warranty if it does.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:55 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I've never had to clean stains on mine, but I do know 3M said to use only synthetic polishes. That's all that is needed. At least so far with mine and past cars. A friend of mine has 3M on his white C6 that is 9 years old now, and no yellowing.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:09 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by joemessman
I've never had to clean stains on mine, but I do know 3M said to use only synthetic polishes. That's all that is needed. At least so far with mine and past cars. A friend of mine has 3M on his white C6 that is 9 years old now, and no yellowing.
stains can occur. Cleaning a stain and applying a sealant are 2 entirely different applicatios. I din't think you would apply a sealant to clean a stain. Also, Xpel's website indicates, "You may use any standard car wash soap, rinse free car wash, or detail spray to clean the film, provided that the product does not contain more than 5% naphtha or kerosene." So, I have cited 2 occasions where Xpel has clearly stated you can use distillates. Hopefully this dispels a myth.

The following users liked this post:
joemessman (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 04:18 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Used nothing but Meguiar's NXT 2.0 on my C6, first C7 and now this one - all with Xpel Ultimate (or Ultimate Plus) and no signs of yellowing.

Admittedly, my latest C7 hasn't had Xpel on it long enough to know but both my C6 and 1st C7 did
Old 01-12-2019, 04:47 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,188 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Just DRIVE the d**ned thing!!!

Never forget it's a car, no matter what.
nickTsandman (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:09 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMD

sorry bud, not sure what site you're looking at. Acetone or laquer is not mentioned.
https://www.xpel.com/care
Old 01-12-2019, 05:18 PM
MMD
Safety Car

sorry bud, not sure what site you're looking at. Acetone or laquer is not mentioned.
https://www.xpel.com/care
Sorry bud, but you didn't look very well in the Xpel website. Here is what they said:

What Can I Use To Clean The Film With If The Film Cleaner Isn’t Working?

XPEL Film Cleaner is generally designed to remove dirt, grime and oils from paint protection film that lead to yellowing over time. To remove stains from other substances such as insects, bird droppings or other compounds, use acetone or lacquer thinner with a soft microfiber cloth.
you can find on their FAQ webpage:

https://www.xpel.com/faq

Click on "What Can I Use To Clean The Film With If The Film Cleaner Isn’t Working?"

Maxie2U (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 05:24 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

^ sorry bud that's not the same scenario. It doesn't look the Porsche dude only used Plexus when another non-distillate wasn't working. It sounds like he used Plexus all the time has his primary cleaner.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:34 PM
MMD
Safety Car

^ sorry bud that's not the same scenario. It doesn't look the Porsche dude only used Plexus when another non-distillate wasn't working. It sounds like he used Plexus all the time has his primary cleaner.
Plexus possibly could have reduced the amount of yellowing. Something you should consider. Guess we'll never know. Besides Xpel never "officially" claims their product doesn't yellow. Another myth.

Last edited by MMD; 01-12-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

You can split hairs if you want. If a company warranties against yellowing, I'd say it means the company believes the product won't yellow.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:14 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD

Plexus possibly could have reduced the amount of yellowing. Something you should consider. Guess we'll never know. Besides Xpel never "officially" claims their product doesn't yellow. Another myth.
Might wanna pull that stick outa your ***. Seems to be making you testy

Get notified of new replies

To Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:21 PM
MMD
Safety Car

You can split hairs if you want. If a company warranties against yellowing, I'd say it means the company believes the product won't yellow.
Not even close to splitting hairs dude. It's just a marketing gimmick. Marketers put this stuff in their marketing to get people like you to think like that. Xpel never claimed it doesn't yellow. You are just assuming that. In reality what happens is most people will get rid of the car long before the warranty expires and the new owner is not aware of the PPF being on the vehicle or that the PPF has a warrany, albeit limited. Most original owners will forget about the waranty eventually and don't bother or they have lost the sale slips needed to make a claim. Retailers count on that too. Also, most people who have PPF don't realize the limitations of the warranty. Xpel will pick up the cost of the material replaced only in the areas they think might need to be replaced in the event of a warranty claim. So they more than likely will not replace the material for the whole car. Also, the biggest expense of putting any PPF on a vehicle is the labor cost, not the material. Xpel will only pay an installer a nominal amount toward that labor on a warranty claim. The rest is up to you to pick up the remaining labor expenses. This could get very expensive. When you factor in all these variables from an economic standpoint, it is cheaper to not apply a PPF and just repaint the panels that are in need. It is always best to read the fine print before you make any purchase commitment.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:23 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Might wanna pull that stick outa your ***. Seems to be making you testy
You just don't have the facts to back up your claims. Read fine print.
Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Sorry brah, if you the guy to care enough to spend $$ protecting your paint, you're not gonna forget about the warranty or lose the receipt lol. And I wouldn't expect them to replace the material for the whole car, only the defective pieces.
My XPEL installer will cover costs 100%. I'm completely satisfied. You sound bitter....probably because you walk into the garage and see a bunch of rock chips

Quick Reply: Stone Chips-Who Cares?