Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 03:25 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

It’s just a car so I don’t stress about it. Worry about it about the same as my truck. Just a part of driving.
The following users liked this post:
4thC4at60 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:31 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

It's not like your C7 is going to lose money at Barret-Jackson if it goes on the block. They are not collector cars. Why pay 10k in paint protection to prevent pain chip that can be fix very easily for a lot less money.
4thC4at60 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
It's not like your C7 is going to lose money at Barret-Jackson if it goes on the block. They are not collector cars. Why pay 10k in paint protection to prevent pain chip that can be fix very easily for a lot less money.
For

Many of us show our cars
Old 01-11-2019, 03:33 PM
PureJoy
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by C5_
Do you obsess over stone chips? Do you accept them as a price to pay for the privilege of owning a vette? Do you take reasonable precautions to avoid stone chips? How much do or did stone chips decrease the value of your vette?
Doesn't it all depend on what type of oil you use???

PS, why is a guy called C5 asking questions on a C7 forum??
Old 01-11-2019, 03:47 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by PureJoy
PS, why is a guy called C5 asking questions on a C7 forum??
Could be an old handle, or, like many others that don't own C7s wish they did.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-11-2019 at 03:47 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:51 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Received 1,630 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Strawman

First of all, most road debris is not "2-3 inches wide". VERY little would protect against that.

Secondly, if you're following a truck doing 60 MPH and you're also going 60 MPH, the relative velocity between you and any debis falling off that truck is SUBSTANTIALLY less than 60 MPH (*MAYBE* 10 to 15 MPH)
So you would like to volunteer then? I'll wait for the pics. The scenarios I cited is very real. Actually gravel trucks here on the East Coast are flying around at 80 MPH and there is much road construction here thus the gravel trucks. This same scenario happened to me as I was slowing down in my lane as the person ahead of me was slowing. At the same time a gravel truck flew by me on my left going 80, Long story short was my vehicle incurred 6000 dollars in damage from numerous 2-3 inch stones peppering my vehicle. No collision, just the stones impacting my entire vehicle. On another occasion I had a 18 wheel truck that had a tire explode next to me and damaged my paint and dented the side of my vehicle but that's another story. So the scenario I illustrated is very real. I would like to know how well would a PPF protect in this scenario. Everyone seems to be so happy and confident with their PPF install. Trying to assess it's effectiveness. Waiting for pics to roll in.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:54 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,979 Likes on 2,880 Posts

That's an excellent point. ....

...I recently did a study on what the lost opportunity cost of a complete wrap, $5,500.00 invested @ the average return would cost me over say 20 years. It was something like $30K+. That's when I backed off with my plan going forward with a wrap. I figured that I could spend up to $2K, on a professional paint touch up at some future point if needed.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I certainly try to be careful when driving to avoid stone chips such as not following too closely behind trucks, etc. I do have side skirts and splash guards that help also. I will not spend the money for any of the clear wrap, then you have to worry about damage to it. Even though it comes with a warranty it still is another added inconvenience of getting it repaired, cleaning it, etc.
If I get a stone chip then I can repair it with drcolorchip that does an excellent job based on previous experience.
Most used Vettes you see on the dealer lots are stone chip free and do not have clear wrap. Just not something I see as a major issue. For long road trips a vinyl/leather/cloth bra will give you enough protection and piece of mind if you need it.
Most owners who have spent thousands on Xpel will say the finish looks new, have to say with a bit of routine waxing, careful driving, and drcolorchip most can say the same thing and save quite a few bucks.
Kevin A Jones (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 03:56 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
I worry about getting chips. But I'm not gonna pay for ppf when I know I won't keep the car forever.

I just try to stay far behind people when on the highway and I'll use Dr Colorchip to fix the ones that are inevitable.
Same here. Touch up if needed. Mine looks pretty good after 4000 miles.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 01-11-2019 at 03:57 PM.
Coach32 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:15 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

I call FUD!! sorry, PPF does not cost $10k.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:20 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by MMD

So you would like to volunteer then? I'll wait for the pics. The scenarios I cited is very real. Actually gravel trucks here on the East Coast are flying around at 80 MPH and there is much road construction here thus the gravel trucks. This same scenario happened to me as I was slowing down in my lane as the person ahead of me was slowing. At the same time a gravel truck flew by me on my left going 80, Long story short was my vehicle incurred 6000 dollars in damage from numerous 2-3 inch stones peppering my vehicle. No collision, just the stones impacting my entire vehicle. On another occasion I had a 18 wheel truck that had a tire explode next to me and damaged my paint and dented the side of my vehicle but that's another story. So the scenario I illustrated is very real. I would like to know how well would a PPF protect in this scenario. Everyone seems to be so happy and confident with their PPF install. Trying to assess it's effectiveness. Waiting for pics to roll in.
You anecdotal evidence is the exception, not the rule.

Don't want PPF? Great! Don't do it. Want PPF? Great, do it!

Aint free markets great?
Old 01-11-2019, 04:23 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD

Can't use your camera. I have one.
and it makes our cars look silly stupid...
Old 01-11-2019, 04:29 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KenHorse
You anecdotal evidence is the exception, not the rule.

Don't want PPF? Great! Don't do it. Want PPF? Great, do it!

Aint free markets great?
This type of road debris damage happens frequently enough that it cannot be considered an exception. Drive along most Interstates and take a look at all the rubber from truck tires left on the sides of the roads. Have you ever been next to a 18 wheel truck on a Interstate when a tire explodes or the rethread tire unravels? Don't think this causes damage too huh? You need to get out more. You're unaware of the real world.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:30 PM
MMD
Safety Car

Originally Posted by V Vette
and it makes our cars look silly stupid...
I don't have a PPF that's why I ask.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:31 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Deepdiver
I call FUD!! sorry, PPF does not cost $10k.
I think you are missing the point. Whatever money you are spending on your car for protection whether they are wrap of ceramic wax, they will not increase the value of your car. It's an expense. It's better to spend that money in retouch when you are ready to sell the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fogboundturtle:
Bavaria (01-12-2019), Kevin A Jones (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:49 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

I dont like stone chips. Do have some, yep sure do. I have a bra for the front if Im doing a long trip or taking the car to the track. Will I lose some value because of the chips maybe, but I have lost a lot more value because I drive it and now am over 67k miles on my 15
Old 01-11-2019, 04:50 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,133 Likes on 2,237 Posts

Being OCD yes I am obsessed over stone chips.

That is why I had the entire front end covered with clear bra including the fenders. Unfortunately I got a very noticeable tear in the clear bra near the front of the hood. It happened when an Ahole in a big dually truck pulling a backhoe that was covered in rocks and clay passed me doing about 90mph and as he passed rocks and clay was flying off of it and one big rock slammed into the hood ripping the clear bra.

Who the heck drives that fast pulling a big backhoe! There is no doubt in my mind he did it on purpose. What really pissed me off was I always consistently scan my mirrors but at the end of a 10 hour drive I had let my guard down.

On the positive side, on numerous road trips I went through major repaving jobs where big trucks were throwing lots of small rocks covered in asphalt and not one left a mark because of the clear bra. During our last long roadtrip as we drove around a swiping left turn as we rounded the corner they had just tore up the asphalt and gravel was everywhere. I could see graveling flying everywhere and it sounded like hail hitting the car. Not one chip thanks to the clear bra.

As an aside, NoviStretch bra does NOTHING to protect the front end from most rock hits especially to the hood.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-11-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Old 01-11-2019, 04:54 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Here in the PNW

There is a chain called "Same Day Repair" who do small scratches, dents, dings, leather repair, etc. I had mine down in Olympia, WA for an oil change and they pointed out a 2 inch scratch (as they were first inspecting the car, smart on their part) AND Mark the Mechanic (Titus-Will, he's the best) recommended them. He was spot on; 75 bucks and 45 minutes later the scratch and a couple of chips in front were very well repaired. Can't afford the type of protection that I wish but 75 bucks once per year is fine. Kuddos to Joe at the Same Day store in Olympia, WA for his quick and professional efforts.
Maxie2U (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:58 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I don't like stone chips. Of course no one does. I got the 3M clear bra on all the front parts and on the mirrors for $750. No chips after 87,000 miles. I see a few little indentations in the bra at the proper angle, but nothing went to the paint where that ugly primer shows. I can't touch up very well, so I don't like the looks of a front end all dabbed up with clumps of paint. It has been worth it for me, but I understand those who don't want to spend the money up front to have the film applied. I don't have any rock chips on the rest of the car either. Some are pricing in doing the whole car. You don't have to do that. Just get the front end done.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:03 PM
Deepdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 251 Posts

I think you are missing the point. Whatever money you are spending on your car for protection whether they are wrap of ceramic wax, they will not increase the value of your car. It's an expense. It's better to spend that money in retouch when you are ready to sell the car.
you're missing the point. It's not all about re-sale value, it's about being able to look at and the enjoyment of driving a clean "un-peppered" car, similar to the day you bought it. Everything for our cars are expenses whether it's new tires or a ported throttle body (do any of these increase it's value? No.). Only you can justify the cost, but having an accurate cost figure is important to determine that justification.

Quick Reply: Stone Chips-Who Cares?