Sponsored by:

Stone Chips-Who Cares?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 07:52 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
That kind of depends what level of coverage you're talking about & what area of the country you're in. Here are the estimates I've received in Austin/San Antonio area:
  • Suntek Ultra Premium Coverage ($2,700) - Side Mirrors, bumper, lights, full fenders, full hood, full rockers, custom coverage behind rear wheels, a-pillars, and partial roof
  • Suntek Ultra Full Coverage ($5,700) - Includes premium coverage above with full roof, doors, rear quarters, deck lid, spoiler, and rear bumper
XPEL (the prices below are lowest out of the three certified XPEL shops I've contacted):
  • XPEL Ultimate Plus ($1,950) - Full front plus mirrors, rockers, and lower rear fenders
  • XPEL Ultimate Plus ($4,250) - Full wrap
I'm sure PPF performs well for its intended purpose & looks pretty decent when applied by competent installers. But I find it difficult to justify the cost since over the past 5 months I've only averaged 239 miles/month on my car.
Yow!

Also, one might ask the cost for comparison of Dr. Colorchip or ScratchWizard or similar low cost repairs.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
IMO, if you don't care about stone chips on your $60k+ car, I couldn't imagine what else you don't care about. I am so surprised at the "meh" answers.
I do not care enough to spend 1500 on a clear bra such as XPEL. Did on the 14, but not on the 18. I do have a Novistreatch bra I use when on the interstate to help.

These cars are not much more money than a well equiped pick up truck. My 14 Stringray was only 4K more than my F-150. I do not have a bra on it. I take it on dirt two tracks, haul fire wood with it, haul landscape stuff with it, haul my boat with it.

My car sits in side and is always clean. My truck sits out side, and is washed once every other month or so.

Last edited by Dave80C3; 01-15-2019 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:11 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by saleen556

I treat all my cars well. However every part is fixable or replaceable. It’s not worth worrying about. I’m going to see about getting my windshield replaced today because of a stupid rock. I just don’t stress over it.
Fixing or replacing body parts usually uses up spare time for the owner. It all depends on how valuable your spare time is. I have found that ppf= no worries.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:26 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Fixing or replacing body parts usually uses up spare time for the owner. It all depends on how valuable your spare time is. I have found that ppf= no worries.
Agree. And as someone pointed out, with the PPF you don't have to look at the nicks you're waiting to fix.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Spend $160 and get yourself a NoviStretch bra and you will never have an issue with chipped paint on your front bumper - its the quickest and cheapest solution:

https://www.amazon.com/Corvette-Stin...ds=novistretch
IMO that looks like on the car.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
Agree. And as someone pointed out, with the PPF you don't have to look at the nicks you're waiting to fix.
That's the major thing with me. Yes you can spray new paint, but you have to put up with those rock chips for quite a while before you get it sprayed.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:15 AM
ImpliedConsent
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 276 Posts

IMO that looks like on the car.
I am not hiding the beautiful front end with a Novistretch bra. I love the responses of "...it's just a car". I didn't dream of a Corvette since I was 8yrs old just to have it beat up by rock chips. I'll do whatever I can, within the budget of my checkbook, to protect the car and I've found Xpel to be more than up for the job.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 10:39 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent
I am not hiding the beautiful front end with a Novistretch bra. I love the responses of "...it's just a car". I didn't dream of a Corvette since I was 8yrs old just to have it beat up by rock chips. I'll do whatever I can, within the budget of my checkbook, to protect the car and I've found Xpel to be more than up for the job.
I never did understand that "it's just a car" baloney. If a car is just a car, then why would they spend so much money on a two seater in the first place? Illogical.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

As I said in an earlier post, if you want PPF, get PPF. If you don't want PPF then don't get PPF. Ain't the free market great?

I don't get why some posters have to berate others over their choice....

(actually, I think I do get why.....)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:05 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

For those of you who only went with partial PPF coverage (specifically XPEL) how noticeable is the difference in finish between the sections covered in XPEL & the regular paint? I just wonder if someone would be better off wrapping the whole car so the finish would be uniform throughout (not because the entire car needs the protection).
Old 01-15-2019, 11:09 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

For those of you who only went with partial PPF coverage (specifically XPEL) how noticeable is the difference in finish between the sections covered in XPEL & the regular paint? I just wonder if someone would be better off wrapping the whole car so the finish would be uniform throughout (not because the entire car needs the protection).
There is no difference. Completely transparent.
The following 2 users liked this post by joemessman:
ImpliedConsent (01-15-2019), Oneslackr (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 11:09 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

If you installer is good, they'll wrap the edges over the ends of the particular panel and you'll never see (feel) them.

And while I didn't have the entire car done, I did have the entire front done, back to the leading edges of the doors (headlights included). The only place there is an exposed edge is the cove bottoms, as I had the rockers and doors done but only up to the bottom of the cove. The only time they're noticed is when I'm cleaning the car and have my eyes at that level. Otherwise you'd never know

Last edited by KenHorse; 01-15-2019 at 11:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
ImpliedConsent (01-15-2019), Oneslackr (01-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Stone Chips-Who Cares?