C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 vs 91 octane, HP loss, MPG loss, knocking???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

is BJ's a Top Tier gas?
The following users liked this post:
hemistar1 (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:46 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 410 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I never understood people spending $75K + on a sports car where premium fuel is recommended and then try to run 87 octane to save pennies. We are all free to do as we please but I especially loath these kinds of people.
Agree but not sure you really mean loath people.... we all have quirks.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:47 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
I never understood people spending $75K + on a sports car where premium fuel is recommended and then try to run 87 octane to save pennies. We are all free to do as we please but I especially loath these kinds of people.

It makes no sense to save a few cents on fuel. What's the difference? about a quarter a gallon? There is more variation between gas stations than there is between grades. To me it's a penny wise/pound foolish kind of proposition. If you really need to scrimp pennies to that extent, get a high mpg vehicle.
V Vette (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:57 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Good in fo but now its is so confusing.. Can the real answer step forward? Thanks
The answer is this, run the highest octane you can buy at a typical fuel station. In the event you are stuck with a low octane fuel, then go easy on the throttle until you can fill up again with the proper fuel.

The claims about high altitude not requiring as high octane, seem to be centered around lower barometric pressure, which ultimately should result in lower cylinder pressure, and therefore would be less likely to detonate. This is why in certain Mercedes cars the supercharger wont engage, instead of just retarding spark timing (described in post #33 by JoeC5). The intention is to keep cylinder pressure down so as to not cause knock. The problem with the low octane at altitude claim, is it only applies at wide open throttle, because in every other circumstance, you just push the gas pedal down further to accelerate at the same rate, to or maintain the same speed, and therefore end up with the same cylinder pressures anyway. So to me, the lower octane at altitude claim doesn't hold water.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 01-16-2019 at 09:06 PM.
V Vette (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 09:03 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 410 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
The answer is this, run the highest octane you can buy at a typical fuel station. In the event you are stuck with a low octane fuel, then go easy on the throttle until you can fill up again with the proper fuel.

The claims about high altitude not requiring as high octane, seem to be centered around lower barometric pressure, which ultimately should result in lower cylinder pressure, and therefore would be less likely to detonate. This is why in certain Mercedes cars the supercharger wont engage, as described in post #33 by JoeC5, instead of just retarding spark timing. The intention is to keep cylinder pressure down so as to not cause knock. The problem with the low octane at altitude claim, is it only applies at wide open throttle, because in every other circumstance, you just push the gas pedal down further to accelerate at the same rate, to or maintain the same speed, and therefore end up with the same cylinder pressures anyway. So to me, the lower octane at altitude claim doesn't hold water.
Thanks and is better to be safe with higher octane anyway...
Old 01-16-2019, 09:39 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,069 Likes on 433 Posts

The claims about high altitude not requiring as high octane, seem to be centered around lower barometric pressure, which ultimately should result in lower cylinder pressure, and therefore would be less likely to detonate. This is why in certain Mercedes cars the supercharger wont engage, instead of just retarding spark timing (described in post #33 by JoeC5). The intention is to keep cylinder pressure down so as to not cause knock. The problem with the low octane at altitude claim, is it only applies at wide open throttle, because in every other circumstance, you just push the gas pedal down further to accelerate at the same rate, to or maintain the same speed, and therefore end up with the same cylinder pressures anyway. So to me, the lower octane at altitude claim doesn't hold water.
The thing that you are missing is that you only get into detonation risk at high power settings or with fuel way below design octane. At moderate power settings, the worst you are risking is a bit of light knock or pinging, and unless the knock sensors are really in bad shape, they will handle that just fine. Or said another way, as long as a sea level car is only at part throttle, it doesn’t need 93 octane fuel to avoid detonation risk either. Comparing specific situations, a car at sea level at 80% throttle is developing about the same power as a car at 6000’ at 100% throttle. Neither car needs 93 octane fuel to prevent detonation at those conditions because both cars, as you mention above, have lower cylinder pressure than they would if at sea level at full throttle. The only point where highest octane is needed to prevent detonation is when the car is at sea level near full throttle and cylinder pressures are very high. Since the 6000’ car never gets to that point, it doesn’t ever need 93 octane to prevent detonation.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 PM
LDB
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I like to watch the instantaneous gas mileage reading on my DIC as I'm cruising along at 75-80 MPH using the cruise control. Every time I drive I-70 across Kansas to Denver, I notice that my gas mileage increases(per the DIC) as I gain altitude. And it drops when I'm retuning home.
I don't see an obvious explanation for that. I suppose it's remotely possible that there's enough less drag from wind resistance to notice as the air thins out, or maybe as altitude increases, outside temp decreases, so there's less power drain to the AC compressor, but I wouldn't have guessed those things would be enough to see on the DIC. That said, other explanations I might dream up seem even less plausible to me. Up until the throttle plate is wide open, the engine shouldn't know the difference -- just a gradually increasing throttle opening to maintain MAP, but fuel flow shouldn't change for a given power delivery.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:04 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

The fuel spec in the manual for my 2015 C7 was 91 octane or higher. In this area only 93 is available in E10, often 92 for E0 gas. In that car I usually filled at 1/2 tank and rotated 89 and 93, which should average around 91. For my 2017 the manual recommends 93 octane, but says that as low as 87 can be used potentially at the expense of performance and economy. When I drove my 2017 back from MacMulkin I ran 89 at times and didn't notice any difference in mileage, and since I was breaking it in I wasn't stressing it at all, mostly varying the speeds on the interstates. Since then I haven't run straight 89 and would never use 87 except in an emergency, and for the most part still rotate 89 and 93, always Top Tier, in my 2017 GS. In neither car could I discern a difference between that mix and 93 octane.

Last edited by iclick; 01-16-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:13 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

I don't understand why people don't get the difference between "may be used" and recommended.

The OM clearly states the difference.

Use 87, and sure you can putz around, but don't put a load on the engine or knocking (pre-detonation) most likely will occur or timing retardation will. Oh, and then fill up with premium asap.

Use 91 or 93 (if you can get it) and don't worry, because that is what the engine is actually designed to use.

Seems pretty simple.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
Patman (01-17-2019), ZZ06 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 10:21 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by LDB
The thing that you are missing is that you only get into detonation risk at high power settings or with fuel way below design octane. At moderate power settings, the worst you are risking is a bit of light knock or pinging, and unless the knock sensors are really in bad shape, they will handle that just fine. Or said another way, as long as a sea level car is only at part throttle, it doesn’t need 93 octane fuel to avoid detonation risk either. Comparing specific situations, a car at sea level at 80% throttle is developing about the same power as a car at 6000’ at 100% throttle. Neither car needs 93 octane fuel to prevent detonation at those conditions because both cars, as you mention above, have lower cylinder pressure than they would if at sea level at full throttle. The only point where highest octane is needed to prevent detonation is when the car is at sea level near full throttle and cylinder pressures are very high. Since the 6000’ car never gets to that point, it doesn’t ever need 93 octane to prevent detonation.
Any detonation will eventually hurt the engine. This can happen at any throttle opening or rpm. Obviously under a high power demand situation, the damage will occur faster, but why risk damaging the engine slowly ? Why risk it at all ?

Plus, I'm not so sure I buy into the lower octane at altitude, at any point, including wide open throttle. I understand the premise for the claim, but that doesn't mean its right. I would like to read the study that Amoco did because I suspect they used carbureted vehicles, without sophisticated timing controls. The study was done on 84-86 model year vehicles. GM didn't use fuel injection on their trucks until 87 for sure, and I don't think they had any fi cars in 84 except the Corvette. I'm just not going to spend the 30 bucks on the paper, because one need look no further that the owners manual to see these cars need premium fuel under all circumstances. Plus, the entire lower octane at altitude idea, doesn't apply to forced induction cars, including the zr1 and z06. So the claim is fatally flawed right there.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:12 PM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Not sure but I did a search

Originally Posted by Allpro
is BJ's a Top Tier gas?
So I see Bjs 93 but not top tier... Went to this website below

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

I see Sunoco on there and Exxon.. I get a discount when I use my Discover card at Sunoco so I think I will try them for a month or two and see if that pinging goes away.

Funny..this is my 1st car that requires premium so I never though about quality just best price. I am glad the OP brought up the topic.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:36 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by owc6
I don't understand why people don't get the difference between "may be used" and recommended.

The OM clearly states the difference.

Use 87, and sure you can putz around, but don't put a load on the engine or knocking (pre-detonation) most likely will occur or timing retardation will. Oh, and then fill up with premium asap.

Use 91 or 93 (if you can get it) and don't worry, because that is what the engine is actually designed to use.

Seems pretty simple.
And some good info pointed out by LDB.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 AM
LDB
Drifting

Any detonation will eventually hurt the engine. This can happen at any throttle opening or rpm. Obviously under a high power demand situation, the damage will occur faster, but why risk damaging the engine slowly ? Why risk it at all ?

Plus, I'm not so sure I buy into the lower octane at altitude, at any point, including wide open throttle. I understand the premise for the claim, but that doesn't mean its right. I would like to read the study that Amoco did because I suspect they used carbureted vehicles, without sophisticated timing controls. The study was done on 84-86 model year vehicles. GM didn't use fuel injection on their trucks until 87 for sure, and I don't think they had any fi cars in 84 except the Corvette. I'm just not going to spend the 30 bucks on the paper, because one need look no further that the owners manual to see these cars need premium fuel under all circumstances. Plus, the entire lower octane at altitude idea, doesn't apply to forced induction cars, including the zr1 and z06. So the claim is fatally flawed right there.
This may be semantics, but I don’t think it’s a question of damage happening faster or slower. It’s a question of severity, meaning the spectrum from high to low of detonation to knocking to pinging. The higher the power being developed by the engine, the higher in that list you are likely to be, and thus the more potential for damage there is. Since the 6000’ engine can’t develop as much power as the sea level engine, its risk and need for octane is less.

Forced induction as installed in cars normally doesn’t change things much. While aircraft forced induction systems are designed with extra fat to compensate for increasing altitude, car forced induction systems normally are not. Once the internal bypass is fully closed (for superchargers) or the waste gate is fully closed (for turbochargers) the MAP at full throttle for forced induction systems will decrease with increasing altitude just like a normally aspirated engine. It will still have some boost, but MAP won’t be as high as it was at sea level. Yes, a car’s forced induction system could be designed with extra fat like an airplane’s, but it normally is not because that would cost mileage at sea level, a no-no in today’s world of economy standards. I admit in advance that I do not know the exact altitude at which the internal bypass in Vette supercharged engines is fully closed at full throttle, and thus the point at which a further altitude increase causes full throttle MAP to fall, but I’d be astonished if it were anywhere near 6000’.

Last edited by LDB; 01-17-2019 at 09:17 AM.
ZZ06 (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 09:29 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by LDB
This may be semantics, but I don’t think it’s a question of damage happening faster or slower. It’s a question of severity, meaning the spectrum from high to low of detonation to knocking to pinging. The higher the power being developed by the engine, the higher in that list you are likely to be, and thus the more potential for damage there is. Since the 6000’ engine can’t develop as much power as the sea level engine, its risk and need for octane is less.

Forced induction as installed in cars normally doesn’t change things much. While aircraft forced induction systems are designed with extra fat to compensate for increasing altitude, car forced induction systems normally are not. Once the internal bypass is fully closed (for superchargers) or the waste gate is fully closed (for turbochargers) the MAP at full throttle for forced induction systems will decrease with increasing altitude just like a normally aspirated engine. It will still have some boost, but MAP won’t be as high as it was at sea level. Yes, a car’s forced induction system could be designed with extra fat like an airplane’s, but it normally is not because that would cost mileage at sea level, a no-no in today’s world of economy standards. I admit in advance that I do not know the exact altitude at which the internal bypass in Vette supercharged engines is fully closed at full throttle, and thus the point at which a further altitude increase causes full throttle MAP to fall, but I’d be astonished if it were anywhere near 6000’.
The forced induction removes the low barometric pressure argument from the discussion. No one is going to argue that.
Heres a quote I found from a .gov site that speaks to the altitude/octane issue.What is 85 octane, and is it safe to use in my vehicle?

The sale of 85 octane fuel was originally allowed in high-elevation regions—where the barometric pressure is lower—because it was cheaper and because most carbureted engines tolerated it fairly well. This is not true for modern gasoline engines. So, unless you have an older vehicle with a carbureted engine, you should use the manufacturer-recommended fuel for your vehicle, even where 85 octane fuel is available.

Heres the link, note the data sources are at the bottom of the page.
https://fueleconomy.gov/feg/octane.shtml

I found several other articles questioning the altitude/octane issue as well …. Ill be back in a bit.

Last edited by PatternDayTrader; 01-17-2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Did you really just put 87 octane in... that car...

Seriously if you want something that runs well on 87 and also has 800rwhp it can be built.

The problem is, economy will be worse because the compression will be so low
Old 01-17-2019, 09:51 AM
Baysider
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Why screw around with 87?
I don't get it, if you can afford a 2019 GS I'm sure you can buy the proper octane fuel, why screw around?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:55 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by COCorGS
So the question is who else has experimented with different octanes and come up with their own results? And who out there has done some mods and seen some differences on the horsepower gauge, not just the dyno results? It'd be cool to hear about someone adding long tubes, an exhaust maybe with cat delete, a CAI and a tune and getting the gauge to the 460 mark really easily, like it wanted to keep right on going. I think it would be cool if you could use that gauge instead of having to dyno the car to find out if the mods effected the HP. Hopefully this topic hasn't already been exhausted, I tried to search and didn't find anything.
Highly unlikely anyone else on this forum would experiment w/ their Corvette using less than the recommended octane. You may find one or two that, out of necessity had to pump a lower octane to avoid running out of gas, but fairly confident that they filled up with the highest octane at the earliest opportunity. Would further speculate that these people didn't run their cars WOT to see if the engine would knock.

Your car, you paid for it, do what you want with it.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 vs 91 octane, HP loss, MPG loss, knocking???

Old 01-17-2019, 09:57 AM
Don Wallace
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Guess I am the contrarian. I have a base 2018 and usually use 87 octane but have tried 91 on several occasions and haven't noticed any great differences, I don't drive it that hard most of the time, tend to observe the speed limits and just enjoy the ride. Being in the thin air in Colorado would make more of a difference than in Iowa. The bottom line is how you drive and what you want to spend but I am ok here with the lower octane. Continue your experiment and make your choice.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:14 AM
LDB
Drifting

The forced induction removes the low barometric pressure argument from the discussion. No one is going to argue that.
Well, I guess I’m just stupid then, because I am arguing it. You can’t directly compare altitude antiknock characteristics of LT1 and LT4 engines since LT 4 has lower compression ratio and 2 octane higher fuel requirement. But if you keep the discussion limited to the LT4, the points I made in post #53 remain valid. Whatever the knocking tendency of the LT4 is at full throttle at sea level, that tendency will be substantially less at 6000’ because the full throttle MAP will be less at 6000’ than it is at sea level. Thus the LT4 needs less octane at 6000’ than it does at sea level just like any other engine unless you have the very rare case of a forced induction engine with enough fat in its super or turbo charger to maintain the same MAP at 6000’ as it has at sea level.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:19 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,727 Likes on 1,827 Posts

Originally Posted by LDB
What physically happens in your engine when you use 87 and floor it is that it starts to knock, the knock sensors sense that, and the ECM almost instantaneously retards the spark to stop the knock. Some power and mileage is lost, but the Vette does so well in those regards that it probably doesn’t matter much to power or mileage unless you are a racer or are competing in an economy run. In my mind the real risk is that the knock sensors, while good, aren’t necessarily perfect. If they don’t retard the spark in near-instantaneous fashion, you are in big trouble. And even if they do retard as designed, you have still suffered mild pinging for an instant, and that can’t possibly do any good to the engine. Still worse, you keep going through that cycle over and over and over and over and over again, because the ECM tries to get back to design spark advance, so it keeps on going through those sensing cycles. Pings detected, retard, pings stop, timing creeps back toward design, pings again, retard, over and over and over again. It’s utterly inconceivable that does your engine any good. The only question is how much harm it does. If the system runs flawlessly, there probably isn‘t much harm. But how many things run flawlessly for how long? In my view, the system is there for a backstop in case you can’t get premium fuel now and then. But I don’t think it’s intended as a system to allow continuous running on 87. If that was the intent, it would not have the logic built into it to keep trying to get back to design spark advance, and you would not have to keep going through the cycles described above over and over and over again.

As to the altitude impact, yup, at that altitude, you need a couple of octane less. But the grades at the gas stations are also usually a couple of octane less at stations in high altitude areas. So while regular/mid/premium at low altitudes may be 87/89/93, at altitude, they are probably something like 85/87/91. So to avoid the cycles described above, you still need to be using at least 91 at altitude, which may well be premium as sold in your area.
Sorry to quote the entire post - but its so bang on!

Quick Reply: 87 vs 91 octane, HP loss, MPG loss, knocking???