C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 vs 91 octane, HP loss, MPG loss, knocking???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:15 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Sellout
That occasional part throttle knock is exactly what I'm talking about. You can tune an engine well enough to get rid of it right now, but what happens next week on different fuel? You can't say you're going to tune out every last bit of it without giving up power somewhere, and if you're as experienced as you say you are, you know that and are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

The factory tunes give up power for additional safety factor, but as you say, you can still get some knock with those tunes as well. These tunes generally have so much more time in their setup than any aftermarket tuner that it makes you wonder why they still leave so much power on the table...

It does take more than one good spike to blow up most engines that aren't rotaries. With a rotary a single strong ping can break an apex seal. That doesn't happen with piston engines. With piston engines if it's blown up as soon as you start hearing the knock, then you've been in trouble for a while and didn't realize it.

Yes, E85 will allow you to go way past MBT without any audible knock. And then things get kinda interesting, but you have to be not paying attention to get to that point.
The engine in my car part throttle knocked about 3 times in special spots of the timing map, when first installed and it was still on its partial factory timing map, which I quickly fixed, and it never knocked again, even on 87 octane fuel which I use frequently to ensure the knock is truly gone. You can tell by reading the plugs if things are good at WOT easily enough also.
Its been over a year and 17,000 miles and it hasn't 'knocked' since. I log every drive and have hundreds of logs with no knock in them. Ive also increased the sensitivity of the knock sensors to be sure.

Also, at 20psi+ of boost pressure on 93 if you 'knock' once its over. sorry pal 1 shot kaboom

Tuned 150+ cars never have knock in them, 7 different ECU and who knows how many different platforms. The part throttle knock only occurs if you get bad gas which is why I run silent exhaust and warn my tuned cars owners to use methanol injection. it isn't a tuning issues its a fuel issue.

Last edited by Kingtal0n; 01-18-2019 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by COCorGS
From the OP:
After doing some research on octane I’ve got a confession. I didn’t know lower octane could cause damage to the engine. I wasn’t versed in what happens when lower octane is used. Yes I saw that it could cause knocking, what ever that was. But I wasn’t really up to speed on what that meant.

So should I mix in some of the 100 octane race fuel and/or add Techron to the approximately 12 gallons of fuel that I now have left in the tank and then top off with 91 octane from the gas station? Should I also change the oil and see if there is anything in there that shouldn’t be? The last oil change was done at 510 miles, the low rpm break-in, and I now have about 2600.

I found a couple of good articles about octane. A simple one here for us newbies : https://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine-knock.htm
We all learn from the Forum! Glad you posted and also glad you have researched more and understand the possible consequences of low octane!

RE blending what you have with 100 octane?? I would not bother. Just start using the highest octane available in your area. Lots of places only have 91 octane, which is fine. Avoid lugging the engine at low rpm and no WOT until you go though say two tanks and you'll be fine.

SIDE BAR
My markting communications manager got a great deal on a new sedan but he didn't understand that 6 cylinder engine he thought would be great for gas mileage had a turbocharger. He refused to use the recommended hi test gas the owner's manual said was required. He never used hi test and wasn't about to start!

Made the same suggestion to him, just don't put your foot to the floor and don't lug the engine. With an automatic trans that usually takes care of the lugging issue, i.e. if you use a lot of throttle starting at low rpm it will down shift automatically. It's only us with standard shifts must be careful.

He had that car for a number of years and the way he drove he never used close to WOT anyway. Car was fine and he was happy buying regular gas!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-18-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:10 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

What octane do I need at -2 ft elevation? will 103 work ?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by johno504
its over 9000
Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Ok, I'll play, and to lighten up this: Snorkel octane.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:49 PM
Stardusterone
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it's worth, in a normally aspirated airplane (non-turbocharged), a properly leaned engine produces approximately 75% power at full throttle at 7,000 ft msl.

This would apply to a non-turbocharged ground-bound vehicle at the corresponding altitude.

Stardusterone

Old 01-19-2019, 09:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
its over 9000
Originally Posted by owc6
Ok, I'll play, and to lighten up this: Snorkel octane.
Originally Posted by Stardusterone
For what it's worth, in a normally aspirated airplane (non-turbocharged), a properly leaned engine produces approximately 75% power at full throttle at 7,000 ft msl.

This would apply to a non-turbocharged ground-bound vehicle at the corresponding altitude.

Stardusterone
That last post remined of my favorite Jerry Clower Joke!

This famous PhD petroleum engineering professor was giving talks all around the country. He was making so much money he hired a chauffer to drive him. After 1 year as they were going to a University to give that talk, the chauffer said, “Professor I have listened to your talk over 50 times. Here you are making all this money and I’m just getting by! In fact I bet I can give that talk better than you!” The Professor said, “Well let’s see. I have never been to the University and we’re about the same size. Let’s switch cloths and you give the talk.” The Chauffer did an outstanding job giving the professor’s speech with more expression and enthusiasm. He got a standing ovation.

Then the moderator said we have time for one question! A student asked, “Professor if 2 million years ago a dinosaur died and is now covered with 6350 feet of sediment and a drill bit hits that area, what will the ph of the soil be? The chauffer said, “Sir I am surprised that let someone like you in this prestigious University and you ask such a simple question. To show you how simple, my chauffer is in the back of the room, I’ll just let him answer!”

ON SUBJECT:

I view this octane and altitude question rather simplistically. At lower engine speeds if with excess timing or a lean mixture you get some pining when you put you foot to the floor, just give it less throttle and it goes away. You have less cylinder pressure as the manifold pressure was lower due to throttle butterfly position. As altitude increases it’s the same as not having the throttle open fully, i.e. less octane is needed to avoid preignition with altitude!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-19-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:36 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
You are out of your mind running an 11.5 to 1 compression ratio engine at wide open throttle on 87 octane fuel.

You have money for a C-7, and dare put anything but the highest octane?!?! SMH
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 341 Likes on 213 Posts

False economy!!!

Use 87 and the computer just says "the idiot is using 87" and retards the spark.

Then the gas mileage goes down, and cost goes up.

Premium is cheaper to run!!!

<<<<<------------my first Corvette. Bought new in 1967

Last edited by ztheusa; 01-19-2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:27 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

I am in Vegas and I mostly run 91 since that's what's available here, elevation here is 2000 and I often drive it hard during the summer. Did I damage the engine some? Maybe some knocks since it's only 91 and hot here?

Really need 93 min huh?
Old 01-26-2019, 03:13 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
I am in Vegas and I mostly run 91 since that's what's available here, elevation here is 2000 and I often drive it hard during the summer. Did I damage the engine some? Maybe some knocks since it's only 91 and hot here?

Really need 93 min huh?
The Z06 is designed to work with 91 as large markets like Ca don’t have 93. Your octane sensor pulls timing when it sees 91 octane. I believe it drops you around 50 WHP.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:29 PM
rogergcam
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts
Default 87 octane in a Vette

Why would you even risk this? The possibility of ANY damage, to the engine, far outweigh ANY savings. What's that old saying? Penny wise and engine foolish? Just not worth it IMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-2019, 05:25 PM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Funny how some think there is a sensor to determine the gas you use, like some sort of fuel analyzer or something. The truth is there is a sensor that determines engine pre-ignition (knock) and reacts to your dumb decision to put 87 in. It then adjust the timing to minimize the negative effects.

Last edited by LarryFL; 01-26-2019 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:13 AM
okaythen
Melting Slicks

Received 166 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm

The Z06 is designed to work with 91 as large markets like Ca don’t have 93. Your octane sensor pulls timing when it sees 91 octane. I believe it drops you around 50 WHP.
Ok so no problem with 91 then, some post said with 91 you want to take it easy on the car and outside temperature can't be too hot like 95F I was like??????

Drag racing does Z06 need 100 octane? 100 is for road racing tracks right?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:06 PM
James Dean
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

You can run 87 octane if you are in the middle of Alabama and need to get home but all they sell is 87.

91-93 is recommended for usual use even if you aren't racing. On a Z06 or ZR1 it's HIGHLY suggested that you run the best fuel possible or else.

In my 2006 Honda S2000 I run premium and get better fuel economy and about 20whp more on a dyno. The engine's computer will automatically adjust timing, hopefully before any major damage, and reduce performance. That car doesn't have direct injection, is half the cylinders, and nearly half the horsepower. My wife ran 87 in it and prior to a mountain weekend and we got some light pinging on The Back of The Dragon. Kept it easy, used some octane booster and things were good. No major damage done. Probably 200ish thousand miles on that engine (AP1 2.0 in AP2 body) and I'd treat the Corvette better but if it works for you then keep on until it doesn't.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:37 AM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by okaythen
Ok so no problem with 91 then, some post said with 91 you want to take it easy on the car and outside temperature can't be too hot like 95F I was like??????

Drag racing does Z06 need 100 octane? 100 is for road racing tracks right?
I personally would always run the highest octane possible with FI. In that heat your losing a lot of power. But, as I see Z06’s run around Thunder Hill on 91, with a GM backed warranty, I think they have running on 91 relatively safe. One reason I don’t like FI on the track is the insane fuel cost, as I would not put my personal supercharged track car on an actual road race circuit without at least 100 octane.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:07 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I am interested in using 91 versus 93 because we get an ethanol free version here but not in the 93.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 vs 91 octane, HP loss, MPG loss, knocking???

Old 02-01-2019, 01:39 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I am interested in using 91 versus 93 because we get an ethanol free version here but not in the 93.
Ethanol is racing fuel. For example E85 is incredible. I'll take the 10% added to gasoline as a bonus.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:11 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Ethanol is racing fuel. For example E85 is incredible. I'll take the 10% added to gasoline as a bonus.
A lot of people in Canada prefer ethanol free fuel though, better MPG and you don't need to worry about your fuel system when the car sits in storage all winter long. And up here it actually costs less to use ethanol free premium from Costco compared to the other brands with 10% ethanol. (and for those that don't use Costco, our Shell premium is ethanol free too)

Last edited by Patman; 02-01-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep, I use E85 when I fill up a rent-a-car when bring it back! It's cheap BUT you get about 20% less mpg! It has less energy!

Works in race cars as the octane is much higher and you can run very high compression that more than compensates. That extra fuel it uses does help cool down the mixture.

The 4 cylinder Offy engine dominated Indy and other series from the 1930's to 1970's because it could run 15:1 compression on Ethanol. With it's one piece cylinder head and block- no head gasket issues! That 252 cid engine could produce 420 NA hp!

Quick Reply: 87 vs 91 octane, HP loss, MPG loss, knocking???