Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 01:05 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,699 Likes on 5,594 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
Actually according to Corvette DNA - a C7 in EXCELLENT condition:
  • Currently Z51 Option adds $3000 to overall resale value over a non-Z51
  • Currently 2LT adds $750 to overall resale value...its the 1LT cars that currently offer $0 value to resale
These values increase if the C7 is in SHOW condition...
So according to Corvette DNA, they feel Z51 option is worth $2250 more than the 2LT option at resale.

My, off the cuff estimate, (notice I stated typically/most likely in my initial post) was Z51 was worth $2000>$2500 more at resale or say $2250 midpoint. Even though my figures were not exact to theirs, Corvette DNA and I came to the same $2250 conclusion. Thanks for doing the leg work to prove I was correct.
Also, It stands to reason that 1LT adds $0 value at resale since $0 extra was spent for the 1LT when purchased.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 01-17-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:15 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

I have a Z51 3LT so I've got everything... that is one major advantage of buying used. The things I like the most are the mag-ride and performance exhaust. The HUD and memory package are nice but I could live without them. I got a Z51 because I track my car so the dry sump, eLSD and bigger brakes were basically must haves. The only thing I don't like is the bigger wheels. To me the best value in the C7 is the Grand Sport but it was outside my budget.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,955 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
If you're going to buy a sports car why wouldn't you choose the option that will provide the most bang for the buck, Z51! I have a 2LT Z51, the heated and ventilated seats are tepid at best. The extra bump in the sound system is negligible and in fact makes the bass too boomy IMO, quite muddy. The heads up display is pretty cool, I could easily live w/o the front camera.

The Z51 over standard gives you bigger wheels (not necessarily a big advantage), bigger brakes (nice to have), improved cooling, among other goodies. But what the non-performance crowd greatly underestimates as far as it's contribution to daily driving and handling is the E-Differential. See attached for further info and search YouTube for some more videos describing it's benefits.

My opinion is 1LT Z51 with MagRide for one of the most technologically advanced street performance vehicles which will also soften up for touring if that's what you want. I find Sport mode to be sufficient on all but the really rough roads and when I meet them I turn the dial to touring. M7 with rev match is a blast but if you deal with heavy stop and go traffic it can get tedious. Many will say that if you go with Z51 and Mag Ride you might as well get a GS which is reasonable thinking but the road noise is greater, tires are a good bit more expensive, and it's got a big fat *** which some like but I don't.

Whatever your decision you will love the car but I would never leave the extra performance of the Z51 and MagRide out.
I dont disagree - but "bang for your buck" can mean different things to different folks. If performance is your goal, cause you track / race your car - then it could be argued that a Z06 would be the "best bang for the buck". If your looking to just cruise with the Mrs on weekends - then a 1LT base might be the "best bang for your buck". If you plan to show the car, then a GS might be the "best bang for the buck".

Where I totally agree with you is if your getting a sports car - get the "most" in the car that you can. Now for me - that means "some" performance - but Im a bells and whistle guy - so a 3LT was mandatory for me...and since I will never race or track my Vette, a Z51 was plenty...but for others that want more power / speed - a Z51 might not be enough. Others may feel a 3LT is not worth the extra money...and that is ok too. This is why I always buy used - I can get ALL the options and performance I want, for about 45% off the price of a new car - so it covers options, performance AND budget all at once. Also for resale I barely ever take a hit, and on many occasions I've even made money...but others say they dont care about resale (but I dont believe them because no one ever says they are fine with LESS money when selling their car)...

At the end of the day...it really boils down to what each individual wants AND can afford.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:31 PM
Rayland
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

rckt,

Excellent question.

Z51 options are great to have, if you intend to participate in off road events. However, the 2lt has very usable options that may make your ownership experience a pleasant one. Ie. sub base, front cameras, hud, heated/cooled seats, auto dimming rear view mirror, etc.

Please note; As mentioned in this thread, the option code NPP for the sport exhaust is must, in either choice. (Adding 5-hp over stock).

Many thanks,

Ray
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
So according to Corvette DNA, they feel Z51 option is worth $2250 more than the 2LT option at resale.

My, off the cuff estimate, (notice I stated typically/most likely in my initial post) was Z51 was worth $2000>$2500 more at resale or say $2250 midpoint. Even though my figures were not exact to theirs, Corvette DNA and I came to the same $2250 conclusion. Thanks for doing the leg work to prove I was correct.
Also, It stands to reason that 1LT adds $0 value at resale since $0 extra was spent for the 1LT when purchased.
No Kevin stop rearranging your words - that is not what you said. You didnt say one option will bring MORE than the other - you were talking about RESALE VALUE and INCLUDED both - not COMPARING both...

So I needed to correct you (as I do constantly) that a Z51 ADDs $3000 to resale value - regardless if you have a 1LT, 2LT, 3LT. If you add a 2LT - its ADDS $750 on top of that $3000. If you ADD a 3LT, its ADDS $2500 on top of that $3000 for the Z51.

Here let me help...

This is a dumbell:

This is a calculator:
The following users liked this post:
CE_Vetteboy (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:03 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

When buying new, z51 1lt is priced about the same as non-z51 2lt. I purchased 1 corvette new, garage queen, took a bath on it, never again. I purchased 2 corvettes slightly used and did much better on resale.

As far as used cars, I see a 3k difference of 1lt vs 2lt corvettes. Again thanks for the opinions. The one thing for sure is NPP is a must. It doesn't seem many people swap out their NPP for another exhaust. In the c6 world, many swap out their exhausts including me 4 times :-)
Old 01-17-2019, 02:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

No Kevin stop rearranging your words - that is not what you said. You didnt say one option will bring MORE than the other - you were talking about RESALE VALUE and INCLUDED both - not COMPARING both...

So I needed to correct you (as I do constantly) that a Z51 ADDs $3000 to resale value - regardless if you have a 1LT, 2LT, 3LT. If you add a 2LT - its ADDS $750 on top of that $3000. If you ADD a 3LT, its ADDS $2500 on top of that $3000 for the Z51.

Here let me help...

This is a dumbell:

This is a calculator:
As you keep referencing and obviously resenting my working out and staying in excellent shape, I assume you may be a frustrated obese person. If so, why don't let me help you out as opposed to your keep trying to insult me. Send me a PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:40 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

You should probably pose your question(s) to a Chev. dealer. They're dealing in real numbers for you.

​​​​​​​.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

As you keep referencing and obviously resenting my working out and staying in excellent shape, I assume you may be a frustrated obese person. If so, why don't let me help you out as opposed to your keep trying to insult me. Send me a PM.
No Kevin, I may not have your abs or biceps...that might be true. Im not a body builder nor obese...but one thing Im not is a narcissist, lunk-head that has to bully folks to feel good about themselves, or thinks muscle makes you a "stronger" person. I've seen your "kind" come into our TaeKwonDo dojo and leave crying with their tails between their legs cause they think muscles make them invincible...quite the opposite actually.

See Im not the type of person to post pictures of my home to brag, or pictures of my abs on a beach, or ignore my family on New Years to argue with folks here on the forums or think the gym is a priority over family...that I'll never do...unlike you. Im also built with the capability to admit when Im wrong...that's called being a "man"...and it has nothing to do with how much you bench press...only "little men" think that way... So thank you for the kind offer - but I'll respectfully...decline.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:24 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

rckt, A few things to consider:
When you refer to base vs Z51 you should also consider Z51 with mag ride. The Z51 option does not come with mag ride, that's extra. The base ride is very nice, very smooth for a high performance sports car. The Z51 ride is very stiff. Some like it, some don't. For a DD, you need to be sure OR, you can buy a Z51 with the extra cost mag ride that gives you a tour mode about as smooth as the base, or Sport mode that is as stiff as the regular Z51, possibly stiffer.
As far as NPP goes, it is more difficult to add NPP to a non-NPP C7 than it was to convert a C6 to dual mode exhaust due to different controls. You may want to look into this before buying a car with the intention of converting it later.
If you're buying used, I'd look for all three options, 2LT, Z51 with mag ride.
And yes, that's what I did, bought a two year old certified 2LT, Z51 with mag ride instead of a 1LT base new car. I don't regret it at all, in fact, I'm glad I have all the options.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:35 PM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

I like your thinking, used seems to be the best route. I thought the z51 came with the mag ride. So it seems Chevy got it right with the NPP on the c7. What I meant is that I had the NPP on the c6 and swapped it out 4 times to find the right exhaust.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

No Kevin, I may not have your abs or biceps...that might be true. Im not a body builder nor obese...but one thing Im not is a narcissist, lunk-head that has to bully folks to feel good about themselves, or thinks muscle makes you a "stronger" person. I've seen your "kind" come into our TaeKwonDo dojo and leave crying with their tails between their legs cause they think muscles make them invincible...quite the opposite actually.

See Im not the type of person to post pictures of my home to brag, or pictures of my abs on a beach, or ignore my family on New Years to argue with folks here on the forums or think the gym is a priority over family...that I'll never do...unlike you. Im also built with the capability to admit when Im wrong...that's called being a "man"...and it has nothing to do with how much you bench press...only "little men" think that way... So thank you for the kind offer - but I'll respectfully...decline.
What did they give you a "pink" belt. Guys like you who pound your chest and spew, lies and insults over a keyboard while hiding behind a silly screen name really give me a chuckle.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

What did they give you a "pink" belt. Guys like you who pound your chest and spew, lies and insults over a keyboard while hiding behind a silly screen name really give me a chuckle.
Sounds like I struck a cord "little man"...the truth hurts doesn't it? But "pink belt"...now that was actually funny...not bad "little man"...
Old 01-17-2019, 10:06 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Since you're buying used, I would not settle for less than a Z06 2LZ.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:13 PM
malexand123
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by kenownr
I think the 16 base and for sure the 17's and on up came with the 19/20's. I have 19/20's on my 15, but it was an option. I've also been told "I think" usually means you're guessing. LOL
my ‘17 non z51 3lt came 18/19
Old 01-18-2019, 12:15 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by dvilin
2lt with NPP exhaust and you are good to go.
I had no plans to track my car so that is what I looked for when shopping for a C7. Do not regret the decision.

Originally Posted by rckt
Are people swapping out the NPP exhaust on the C7? I had NPP on my c6 and swapped it out for the Corsa Extremes. The NPP was lacking in the c6. Just wondering if it got better with the c7?
Never had a C6, but did have a Corsa Indy Pace Car exhaust on my C5 (which I loved) and I have been very pleased with the sound of the factory NPP exhaust on my C7.
rckt (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 12:27 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by rckt
I like your thinking, used seems to be the best route. I thought the z51 came with the mag ride. So it seems Chevy got it right with the NPP on the c7. What I meant is that I had the NPP on the c6 and swapped it out 4 times to find the right exhaust.
Quick note: In 2014, the Z51 option did not include NPP. By far most 2014 Z51s have the option, but it was not standard and there are a few 2014 Z51s out there without NPP. Beginning in 2015, GM added NPP as standard with Z51 recognizing that's how buyers wanted it.
rckt (01-18-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Base coupe auto: Z51 or 2LT?

Old 01-18-2019, 01:30 PM
Edinacorvette
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My .02cents: I bought used, 1 owner, all documented/no track use, "cherry car" etc. Bought in 2016: 2014 18k miles z51 m7 2Lt Non-Mage ride.
I wanted 2Lt because most important was self dimming rear view mirror! (huge problem in low car with lights in your eyes!). Next, I wanted all 2Lt features. Note, non-mag rides like Sport/firm all the time and I like that. (I drive spirited!). Disable traction/stability and you'll realize, 460hp is overkill/awesome!
You'll save $10k-$15 buying low mileage used and you can add $3.5k for a bumper-bumper warranty for the next 50k miles.
Good luck.

Last edited by Edinacorvette; 01-18-2019 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-18-2019, 01:36 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Sounds like I struck a cord "little man"...the truth hurts doesn't it? But "pink belt"...now that was actually funny...not bad "little man"...
Not at all, in fact, I shared your posts from this thread and another one with my wife and daughter and we all got quite a laugh, so all's good
Old 01-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Quick note: In 2014, the Z51 option did not include NPP. By far most 2014 Z51s have the option, but it was not standard and there are a few 2014 Z51s out there without NPP. Beginning in 2015, GM added NPP as standard with Z51 recognizing that's how buyers wanted it.
I would definitely go with NPP exhaust regardless, unless OP is planning to go with an after market system at some point.

Quick Reply: Base coupe auto: Z51 or 2LT?