C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which vinyl wrap brand/s best matches the C7 Corvette factory Carbon Fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Paulzy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which vinyl wrap brand/s best matches the C7 Corvette factory Carbon Fiber?

Greetings Vette Heads,

On your own first hand experiences, which vinyl wrap brand/s best matches the C7 Corvette factory Carbon Fiber products?

Please feel free to offer brand name, costs, vendors, pics, product work-ability, problems, positives, etc.

Note: "Please, I am soliciting responses from only those who have personal experience in this matter. Please don't pontificate on matters of inexperienced opinion."

Thank you, Paulzy
Old 01-17-2019, 12:03 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,008 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I bought this 3M vinyl wrap on Amazon back in Jan 2017 to wrap the bottom trim piece of my GS Steering wheel. It matches nearly perfectly the factory matte dash. Turned out nice. It has held up great, even in the summer with my windows up and the car sitting in the sun for hours. I figured that I would try it for $6 instead of buying a $200 real one...... still in my car now !!! Crappy pic below, as it shows reflections.... the vinyl actually is wrapped properly around all edges.

I held it up against the factory dash and it appeared to be the same size "weave" and really close on the matte finish. Don't know that I would use it directly in contact with the factory dash, but a few inches away, you can't tell it from factory style. It was very workable. I used a hair dryer to help stretch it into the corners of my steering wheel trim piece. I'm happy !!!

I have no experience with using it on the exterior, but the pics on Amazon shows it used outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O36U76E/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O36U76E/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Strake; 01-17-2019 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Paulzy (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 12:52 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I just bought a Z06 wheel for my car and I was looking for a good CF wrap to cover up the Z06 logo.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Very nice!!!
The following users liked this post:
Strake (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I am very happy with the Oracle 4D carbon fiber vinyl. Very easy to apply, has the air hole feature which prevents trapping water.
Best source, Metro Styling ....they are the BOSS of wrap materials right here in the Detroit area. And a great website as well.

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 01-17-2019 at 10:53 PM. Reason: More
Old 01-18-2019, 07:46 AM
Paulzy
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Strake
I bought this 3M vinyl wrap on Amazon back in Jan 2017 to wrap the bottom trim piece of my GS Steering wheel. It matches nearly perfectly the factory matte dash. Turned out nice. It has held up great, even in the summer with my windows up and the car sitting in the sun for hours. I figured that I would try it for $6 instead of buying a $200 real one...... still in my car now !!! Crappy pic below, as it shows reflections.... the vinyl actually is wrapped properly around all edges.

I held it up against the factory dash and it appeared to be the same size "weave" and really close on the matte finish. Don't know that I would use it directly in contact with the factory dash, but a few inches away, you can't tell it from factory style. It was very workable. I used a hair dryer to help stretch it into the corners of my steering wheel trim piece. I'm happy !!!

I have no experience with using it on the exterior, but the pics on Amazon shows it used outside.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank You for the feedback! That does look very nice!

Was the link you sent the actual material you used? Because I did not see any mention it was 3M brand, but I may have missed that, as irrelevant as that is - since it matches and works!

Did you say that your carbon fiber is more of a matte finish, than say a gloss?

BTW, (I know this sounds crazy but), I wonder how that would work to cover and protect the lower door leather from entrance foot scuffs? What are the problems it could cause the leather? It may look weird, but if suitable on leather it must be better than those ugly door protectors?

Thanks Paulzy
Old 01-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,872 Likes on 1,008 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OOPS..... I stand corrected, not 3M brand !!! Yes, that was the exact link to what I bought in early 2017. I looked at the back of the remaining roll I have and it says " Technology Racing 1" TR 1 on the back.

Yes, it's more of a matte finish than high gloss CF. It matches the factory CF dash that we ordered when we special ordered our GS.

Don't know that it would stick well enough to hold up on the lower door area.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:55 AM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I misspelled the company name...metrorestyling.com You want CF? Have fun with their CF tab! be sure to request samples to get what you want....

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 01-18-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Which vinyl wrap brand/s best matches the C7 Corvette factory Carbon Fiber?

Quick Reply: Which vinyl wrap brand/s best matches the C7 Corvette factory Carbon Fiber?