Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do people trade in on essentially the same car?

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people trade in on essentially the same car?

 
Old 01-18-2019, 01:25 PM
  #1  
davepl
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
davepl's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2000
Location: Redmond WA
Posts: 8,563
Thanked 1,411 Times in 942 Posts
Default Why do people trade in on essentially the same car?

I have a 2015 Z convertible. There's not much in the current car I miss, except maybe Carplay and the speed of the center stack, etc.

I see others that had a 2015 have already traded up to 2017 and some again looking at 2019. What drives that when the cars are SO similar?

Since there's almost nothing about the current car that's very different, why do people absorb that depreciation just to have a newer model year? Maybe if you're running up a ton of mileage, but most are not...
davepl is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to davepl For This Useful Post:
VictorBarron (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:28 PM
  #2  
Vet Interested
CF Senior Member
 
Vet Interested's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: (R. Bernardo) San Diego, California
Posts: 3,866
Thanked 502 Times in 382 Posts
Default

Some people have to have the newest of whatever is out there. Personal preference.
Vet Interested is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Vet Interested For This Useful Post:
joemessman (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:29 PM
  #3  
saleen556
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: May 2010
Posts: 1,875
Thanked 453 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Many just have the need to have the newest model. Just like phones. People upgrade all the time for very little difference.
saleen556 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:38 PM
  #4  
joemessman
CF Senior Member
 
joemessman's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City Arizona
Posts: 4,294
Thanked 1,363 Times in 913 Posts
Default

A lot of buyers become excited reading all the hyperbola on the forms. They have a perfectly good car but start hearing about a few things their current rig doesn't have. And if their current Vette is their first one they probably didn't nail down the right options, which is understandable, since they have never had the Corvette experience before. I'm a prime example. I bought a Stingray and after driving it and being able to compare it to my son's Z06 I realize I should have bought that model.
joemessman is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM
  #5  
papillion
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2009
Location: Oro Valley Arizona
Posts: 529
Thanked 117 Times in 75 Posts
Default Ez

Too much money to spend and so need something to spend it on. Ah were it me!

papillion is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:42 PM
  #6  
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member
 
FLEXjs's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,541
Thanked 181 Times in 93 Posts
Default

I see this all the time on other forums and I don't get it either. Guys trading one model year for the next even though they're essentially the same car. Maybe a new color or wheels or some new app in the console but otherwise the same car. Seems like a waste of money to me.
FLEXjs is online now  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM
  #7  
Rayland
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Posts: 27
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Default

davepl;

Excellent question,

Corvette's and other super cars are purchased out of emotions. We have disposable income and choose to be different than others.

Yes, perhaps your right, they are using their cars on a daily bases.

One other possible theory, since car buyers are in large choosing to finance their rides, It is mealy changing the existing contract for another?
Perceived/or real benefits of owning a new and fresh Stingray.

Many thanks,

Ray
Rayland is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Rayland For This Useful Post:
DINO84 (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM
  #8  
FLEXjs
CF Senior Member
 
FLEXjs's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,541
Thanked 181 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joemessman View Post
I bought a Stingray and after driving it and being able to compare it to my son's Z06 I realize I should have bought that model.
Upgrading from a SR to a Z06 is not the same car though. Huge difference. I think OP is talking about people swapping the same model.

FLEXjs is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to FLEXjs For This Useful Post:
joemessman (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 01:47 PM
  #9  
hummiscorvettetaken
CF Senior Member
 
hummiscorvettetaken's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 200
Thanked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Probably trading in for roughly the same car could be as simple as wanting a different color scheme - or maybe because if you spend enough time on this forum you will think you are missing out if you don't have the best and the fastest! Your Base Stingray will no longer seem valid because you read about how much better life would be with a Z51 or wide body track car? Call it peer pressure or just making informed decisions now that you have more knowledge.
hummiscorvettetaken is online now  
Old 01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
  #10  
fsvoboda
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,006
Thanked 362 Times in 263 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Many just have the need to have the newest model. Just like phones. People upgrade all the time for very little difference.
These cars are not necessities. A Honda Civic would fulfill the same objective transportation needs.

C7s are entertainment, and everyone has a different approach to that. You see argumentative threads about stuff like silver vs. black vs. chrome wheels, stuff that makes no objective difference. The same thing with trading up by a model year or two. Some people are having a lot of fun planning that transition. Others are having fun reaching for 300,000 miles on their 2014 C7.

fsvoboda is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 02:06 PM
  #11  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 15,556
Thanked 6,378 Times in 3,696 Posts
Default

It is irrational, but so are high-performance, sports cars for street use looking at it from pure logic standpoint. I traded a flawless '14 C7 Z51 M7 triple black convertible for an identically equipped '18 C7 Z51 convertible primarily because I lusted after Sebring Orange. Upgraded electronics were also a secondary consideration, as was the fact that I wanted a 5 MY newer version of one of the last manual transmission Corvettes GM is likely to produce. I intend to keep it much longer than I generally hold on to cars.

I didn't feel any particular need to justify it because that's what I wanted.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Foosh is online now  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Foosh For This Useful Post:
Corvette ED (01-18-2019), Dif (01-19-2019), DINO84 (01-19-2019), LimeyC5 (01-19-2019), owc6 (01-19-2019), Yaupon (01-19-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:22 PM
  #12  
Kevin A Jones
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Kevin A Jones's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,520
Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,046 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I have a 2015 Z convertible. There's not much in the current car I miss, except maybe Carplay and the speed of the center stack, etc.
I see others that had a 2015 have already traded up to 2017 and some again looking at 2019. What drives that when the cars are SO similar?
Since there's almost nothing about the current car that's very different, why do people absorb that depreciation just to have a newer model year? Maybe if you're running up a ton of mileage, but most are not...
I've wondered the same thing myself and don't really understand it, however I certainly don't need to understand how others spend their money.
Kevin A Jones is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin A Jones For This Useful Post:
dvilin (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:26 PM
  #13  
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member
 
Zjoe6's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 2,064
Thanked 481 Times in 366 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joemessman View Post
A lot of buyers become excited reading all the hyperbola on the forms. They have a perfectly good car but start hearing about a few things their current rig doesn't have. And if their current Vette is their first one they probably didn't nail down the right options, which is understandable, since they have never had the Corvette experience before. I'm a prime example. I bought a Stingray and after driving it and being able to compare it to my son's Z06 I realize I should have bought that model.
Glad my son doesn't have a Z. Don't miss what you don't know.
Zjoe6 is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 02:27 PM
  #14  
Rebel Yell
CF Senior Member
 
Rebel Yell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 5,915
Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,397 Posts
Default

And some trade for a newer model to be rid of a problematic car. Say an early A8 that shudders, or has torque converter problems. Along with the early C7's that came with that damnable "warble" noise in the rear diff. that GM would never recognize as a problem. And maybe even something else that the dealer just can't seem to get right.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Rebel Yell is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebel Yell For This Useful Post:
dvilin (01-18-2019), Kevin A Jones (01-18-2019), Strake (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:31 PM
  #15  
BEAR-AvHistory
CF Senior Member
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2019
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 153
Thanked 30 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Corvettes are luxury items, something you don't need but want. After a few years the want may change to, different color, different options. If you can afford it why not? Its an entertainment expense.
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 02:32 PM
  #16  
PatternDayTrader
CF Senior Member
 
PatternDayTrader's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Lansing MI and Houston TX
Posts: 8,392
Thanked 710 Times in 550 Posts
Default

I think some people want a car covered under warranty. Its hard to find fault in that logic.
PatternDayTrader is online now  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PatternDayTrader For This Useful Post:
Corvette ED (01-18-2019), jimmie jam (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 02:40 PM
  #17  
KenHorse
Obama, the worst POS ever
Support Corvetteforum!
 
KenHorse's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Posts: 101,872
Thanked 664 Times in 451 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18
Default

I ordered a new '14 Laguna Blue Z51 in late 2013. Sold it last August and ordered a '19 Grand Sport

Main reason? Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic and wide body. Update electronics, etc were icing on the cake
KenHorse is offline  
Old 01-18-2019, 03:03 PM
  #18  
kenownr
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
kenownr's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2013
Location: Saint Clair Shores Mi
Posts: 1,169
Thanked 204 Times in 155 Posts
Default

As we speak, I'm trying to justify upgrading my 15 Stingray for a new z06 - here is my thought process I hope you guys/gals will take some humor in it as I'm sure I will hit some high points that we all think about when we spend 70-130K on a weekend toy:

My Stingray is black and a PIA too keep clean - I bet a silver or white Z will be easier to take care of -- oh hell no, the tires etc. cost a small fortune and don't last long.

The Z is definitely FASTER !!! -- ya but in Michigan the insurance is outrageous on a Z !!

Maybe I'll look at a convertible just for a change -- hmmm how often will I really put the top down in this crappy weather, plus another 5 grand just for the entry fee -- hmmm

The Z is definitely FASTER !!! -- ya I already said that. Although the Stingray is faster than at least 80% of the other cars out there. hmmmmm

I hear the Z (and GS for that matter) have a bent wheel problem -- potholes here in MI will take them out in a hurry -- I'll need to get forged wheels or at a minimum wheel insurance another 4 to 6 grand -- hmmm 40k miles on the Stingray and never a wheel problem -- hmmmm

Maybe I'll look at a GS ?? Hell no, same power train as my Stingray why didn't they add 50+ hp to the GS, it looks badazz, although the Z is FASTER!!

The new corvette yellow is really cool with black stinger and CF mirrors -- wow -- I like it, but so would every cop on I-94 going back and forth to work!! - hmm maybe black!

What's the big deal between a 1LZ and a 3LZ other than 10K? -- hmmm that is a lot, but the 3LZ has lots of things that I like, oh ya, I've already got a 3LT -- hmmm

The Z is faster !!! but it's going to cost me another 50K -- the financial advisor already says I'm a crazy old man -- keep your money working, don't waste it on depreciating value -- ya right, like your service is free -- don't lecture me -- I pay you!! and the Z is faster!! -- he don't know squat!!

and the song plays on











kenownr is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kenownr For This Useful Post:
Bavaria (01-18-2019), joemessman (01-18-2019), Rebel Yell (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM
  #19  
JMII
CF Senior Member
 
JMII's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2018
Location: Margate, FL
Posts: 696
Thanked 220 Times in 162 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by davepl View Post
I see others that had a 2015 have already traded up to 2017 and some again looking at 2019.
Seems crazy but it sure helps the used market as lots of practically new C7s are available to chose from.
My wallet thanks those that seem to constantly trade in their garage queens. This is my first 'Vette so I've never experienced a market like this before - so many low mileage, well cared for examples out there. With other vehicles your lucky to find 1 out 100 or sometimes 1 in 1,000 that are in truly excellent condition.
JMII is online now  
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM
  #20  
Rebel Yell
CF Senior Member
 
Rebel Yell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: Down south in Dixie
Posts: 5,915
Thanked 2,046 Times in 1,397 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kenownr View Post
As we speak, I'm trying to justify upgrading my 15 Stingray for a new z06 - here is my thought process I hope you guys/gals will take some humor in it as I'm sure I will hit some high points that we all think about when we spend 70-130K on a weekend toy:

My Stingray is black and a PIA too keep clean - I bet a silver or white Z will be easier to take care of -- oh hell no, the tires etc. cost a small fortune and don't last long.

The Z is definitely FASTER !!! -- ya but in Michigan the insurance is outrageous on a Z !!

Maybe I'll look at a convertible just for a change -- hmmm how often will I really put the top down in this crappy weather, plus another 5 grand just for the entry fee -- hmmm

The Z is definitely FASTER !!! -- ya I already said that. Although the Stingray is faster than at least 80% of the other cars out there. hmmmmm

I hear the Z (and GS for that matter) have a bent wheel problem -- potholes here in MI will take them out in a hurry -- I'll need to get forged wheels or at a minimum wheel insurance another 4 to 6 grand -- hmmm 40k miles on the Stingray and never a wheel problem -- hmmmm

Maybe I'll look at a GS ?? Hell no, same power train as my Stingray why didn't they add 50+ hp to the GS, it looks badazz, although the Z is FASTER!!

The new corvette yellow is really cool with black stinger and CF mirrors -- wow -- I like it, but so would every cop on I-94 going back and forth to work!! - hmm maybe black!

What's the big deal between a 1LZ and a 3LZ other than 10K? -- hmmm that is a lot, but the 3LZ has lots of things that I like, oh ya, I've already got a 3LT -- hmmm

The Z is faster !!! but it's going to cost me another 50K -- the financial advisor already says I'm a crazy old man -- keep your money working, don't waste it on depreciating value -- ya right, like your service is free -- don't lecture me -- I pay you!! and the Z is faster!! -- he don't know squat!!

and the song plays on

Ken. I laugh with you, not at you. I think many of us have tried to justify a buy like that also. But, I have done a exhaustive investigation and have found that you will never see an armored car following a hearse. Take away here is, you can't take it with you. Good luck on that decision.
Rebel Yell is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebel Yell For This Useful Post:
kenownr (01-18-2019), LimeyC5 (01-19-2019), RonC7 (01-18-2019)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people trade in on essentially the same car?


Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: