Sponsored by:

I want your input....Roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:44 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,150 Likes on 2,249 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Yes avoid Chicago. Traffic is a mess. Go around it, not through it.

Man do I hear you! I do not relish going through Chicago and I want to avoid it. My navigation problem is, I am coming from St. Paul Minn through Illinois heading to Niagara Falls and so far I can’t figure out how to nav around Chicago without making a major detour or spending another night heading to Niagara Falls.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:07 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U

Man do I hear you! I do not relish going through Chicago and I want to avoid it. My navigation problem is, I am coming from St. Paul Minn through Illinois heading to Niagara Falls and so far I can’t figure out how to nav around Chicago without making a major detour or spending another night heading to Niagara Falls.
My thoughts: Go thru the UP of Michigan, then cross into Canada at Port Huron, Mi. It may be a few more miles but I would guess a shorter travel time, more enjoyable and no tolls. Plus, going thru Canada from Port Huron is shorter.
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Godsvett
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

As a trucker of over 35 yrs,I’d suggest you look at Interstate 90 thru Rockford, ill and catch Interstate 39 south to interstate 80 east. It’s the lesser of 2 evils and will take you south of the Windy City. You miss most traffic. Also time is a factor as you probably well know. Between 1000 and 1400 are the best daytime hours. God Bless,have fun.
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 PM
ricks327
Race Director

As mentioned using I-39 is better but you still have to use I-80 on the southside of Chicago which can be a pain in the ***. Been thru there many times, not fun during the day or normal rush hour times. By going thru the UP of Michigan, minor traffic, beautiful country and when you cross over the Mackinac Bridge to the lower peninsula, the view is still great. To repeat myself, the shortest route to Niagara Falls is thru Canada, via Port Huron, Mi..
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 PM
ricks327
Race Director

Thank you for the follow up. To a person who has never been in this part of the country what is the “UP of Michigan? And what would be the route from from Saint Paul Minnesota?
In Michigan, the UP is short for the Upper Peninsula. The best and most direct and low volume road is US 8 to US 2 which takes you to the Mackinac Bridge and I-75. There are many scenic routes south from the bridge, west and east coasts of Michigan. If you continue south from the bridge on I-75, which is still a nice, scenic, low volume road, take I-69 east to Port Huron for crossing the bridge into Canada. As I mentioned earlier, the Lake Express ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon is another alternative that is a tri-foil ferryboat that offers a break from driving and is very smooth. Many of us used that coming back home from Wisconsin Dells on the 2014 Hot Rod Power Tour, just to avoid Chicago after 10 days and 3000 miles (especially in a 67 Corvette)
If you choose the Mackinac bridge route and want a great S.B.west coast Michigan ride, let me know. You will not be disappointed but it would include additional travel time.
I understand, from my own travels, that sometimes we want a quick easy route and sometimes a more scenic route, depending on our scheduled time frame.
Enjoy your trip and keep us informed because I will be heading west after Labor Day to N.W.Montana and further south to see many sites, especially the National Parks.
Rick
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 11:58 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Seriously? Such a long route there is soooooo much! What, specifically, do you like best???
Old 01-20-2019, 12:53 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Avanti
Seriously? Such a long route there is soooooo much! What, specifically, do you like best???
As mentioned in my initial post the main points of interest are these four stops; Niagara Falls NY - Camden Maine - Cape Cod MA - Newport RI. In fact except for a two day stop in Coeur d'Alene Idaho we plan to only stop for the night until we reach those last four points of interest. We plan to spend a total of two week in those four towns.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Sounds like a great trip.

On your way west, I would take Going to the Sun through Glacier National Park, its spectacular. From there drop down to Red Lodge MT, and Take Bear Tooth Pass, my favorite rode in the USA weather on a motor cycle or Corvette. Been over it a dozen times. Then take 14A west to SD. Must see in SD are Needles Hwy, take Iron Mountain going north, as the tunnel frames Mount Rushmore for a perfect picture. Deadwood is a neat town near there. Sturgis not so much unless your into the biker thing. Which by the way avoid The greater Sturgis area from during the rally, as it is packed, and traffic is backed up everywhere. Rally is August 2nd to August 11. Its usually quite full five days prior and five days after.

After Deadwood, head to the Bad Lands, they are very cool.

Main, go to Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor and Arcadia National park. Very neat area, and on your way to main, I would go to the Kancamagus Scenic Byway in New Hampshire.
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:38 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

As mentioned in my initial post the main points of interest are these four stops; Niagara Falls NY - Camden Maine - Cape Cod MA - Newport RI. In fact except for a two day stop in Coeur d'Alene Idaho we plan to only stop for the night until we reach those last four points of interest. We plan to spend a total of two week in those four towns.

When in Niagara Falls, Canadian Side, taking a ride over the rapids in the Areo Car is a must, if you dare! Take a look.

https://www.niagaraparks.com/visit/a...pool-aero-car/

PS, Also check out the Niagara Falls Wonder Pass listed

AND MOST IMPORTANT! I assume you will visit Niagara Fall, CANADA Side, SO look here for passport requirements.

https://www.niagarafallstourism.com/...need-passport/

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 01-20-2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:33 AM
Carlos Thomas
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 73 Posts

1. Glacier National Park (Going to the Sun Road)
  2. Grand Teton + Yellowstone
  3. Beartooth Pass
These pics where from June 22nd - July 3rd to give you an idea of the snow.

Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 04:27 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ricks327
Even trying to avoid the traffic by using I80/I94, it is still a mess. When we visit my son in Montana, I head north thru lower Michigan and then the UP of Michigan, just to avoid the Chicago area.

Having lived most of my life near Chicago, I can assure you that the roads, traffic, and "scenery"; all suck. The Interstates crossing the Illinois-Indiana border are worse.
And the Interstates across northern Indiana & Ohio are my most un-favorite- heavy traffic, lots of tolls, and ****-style speed enforcement.
Run Forrest, run.

It might take a little longer, but I'd choose the UP of Michigan in a heartbeat.
If you go into Canada, bring passport and check on any other paperwork required. Leave firearms at home.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:35 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Having lived most of my life near Chicago, I can assure you that the roads, traffic, and "scenery"; all suck. The Interstates crossing the Illinois-Indiana border are worse.
And the Interstates across northern Indiana & Ohio are my most un-favorite- heavy traffic, lots of tolls, and ****-style speed enforcement.
Run Forrest, run.
Wanna bend your wheels? That's the place to do it!
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 06:37 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Run Forrest, run.

It might take a little longer, but I'd choose the UP of Michigan in a heartbeat.
If you go into Canada, bring passport and check on any other paperwork required. Leave firearms at home.
i would really like to take UP Michigan but can’t cross into Canada on this roadtrip for reasons I rather not discuss here. No, I’m not wanted in Canada.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-20-2019 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

So many great suggestions I made several major adjustments to our route of travel and places to visit. The latest was the suggestion to drive the Kancamagus Scenic Byway, Route 112 through Mountain National Forest.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Understood.

In your situation, I'd look into the car ferries across Lake Michigan.
There's an old-but-interesting big ferry (SS Badger), and one that's smaller, faster but bouncier and less reliable. Been several years since I researched them.

They probably would be equal or greater time than driving around Chicago, but more fun and relaxing.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 01-20-2019 at 08:03 PM.
Maxie2U (01-20-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:05 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

So many great suggestions I made several major adjustments to our route of travel and places to visit. The latest was the suggestion to drive the Kancamagus Scenic Byway, Route 112 through Mountain National Forest.

Keep the suggestions coming.
NH white mountains are beautiful, especially around the Kancamagus Scenic Byway. My first wife and I did our Honeymoon there, when I was Active Navy. Several good water falls in the area also. Took my 80 Corvette that trip. I have also been over it on my Harley, and plan to go back summer of 2020. It's too bad old man in the mountain fell several years ago, it was a sight at Franconia Notch, Right near there is the Flume and the Gorge, very beautiful They are not far off the Kancamangus at all.
Maxie2U (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:46 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

A couple of things no one has mentioned yet is the Woodward Dream Cruise (www.woodwarddreamcruise.com) in Detroit on August 19 this year and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Maxie2U (01-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To I want your input....Roadtrip

Old 01-21-2019, 05:47 AM
427C62013A
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 43 Posts

Well, I don't much care for Sturgis but the others are great.
If your timing works out, the Black Hills Corvette Classic (July?) that others have mentioned is a great event but of course the area gets crowded and motels fill up far in advance.

We've been to the BHCC three times and still haven't seen all the beauty in that area.

Either way, don't try to cover too many miles each day. Enjoy the ride.

Medora, ND is near your route. The whole town is about Teddy Roosevelt, most nights they have the Medora Musical. A bit kitschy but great fun.

I was wishing I had the Vette in the Black Hills on our trip to Yellowstone. Awesome drives. Sturgis was a waste of time unless you need some biker Paraphernalia like a T Shirt. Deadwood was a much better stop.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:00 AM
Highway 61
Pro

Location: Between Forest Lake and White Bear Lake in the Land of 10,000+ lakes
Received 41 Likes on 18 Posts

i would really like to take UP Michigan but can’t cross into Canada on this roadtrip for reasons I rather not discuss here. No, I’m not wanted in Canada.

You can go through the UP of Michigan without going into Canada.

Last edited by Highway 61; 01-21-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Maxie2U (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
From Wisc. parallel the southern Lake Michigan shore line. Then take the Mackinaw Bridge back to the mainland. Decent drive, but not spectacular.
Gotta be better than Chicago. The high speed ferry across Lake Michigan is a good option too. Just not when it’s really wavy.

Quick Reply: I want your input....Roadtrip