C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess what I have in my Big Meat Hook Hands!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Since Chip came to my place to do the install in my heated barn, and that's where the pictures above were taken, I can answer the installation question, but we didn't talk price. I think that's TBD until manufacturing costs are determined. This was just a prototype.

I suppose one could remove the old mirror, but it's designed to be stuck on to the OEM mirror with adhesive tape. We used small wood dowels inserted all the way around the mirror housing to ensure it was centered exactly over the OEM mirror, which worked great. Obviously, it's a very simple and quick installation, and it is so thin, you cannot tell it was installed on top of the existing mirror.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-29-2019 at 07:44 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
Custom Corvette Accessories (01-29-2019), snappy2u (01-29-2019), V Vette (03-21-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 08:25 AM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by Foosh
Since Chip came to my place to do the install in my heated barn, and that's where the pictures above were taken, I can answer the installation question, but we didn't talk price. I think that's TBD until manufacturing costs are determined. This was just a prototype.

I suppose one could remove the old mirror, but it's designed to be stuck on to the OEM mirror with adhesive tape. We used small wood dowels inserted all the way around the mirror housing to ensure it was centered exactly over the OEM mirror, which worked great. Obviously, it's a very simple and quick installation, and it is so thin, you cannot tell it was installed on top of the existing mirror.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear
Old 01-29-2019, 09:05 AM
Custom Corvette Accessories
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 432 Likes on 311 Posts

^^^
This

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 01-29-2019 at 09:05 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Certainly a better mouse trap. As this mirror is thin, I surmise that the heating feature will still work. The loss of dimming is a fair trade as most of the bright light is reflected from the rearview mirror and not the side mirrors.

While I never had an issue with blind spots in the Vette, better visibility is always a plus. Nice product
Old 01-29-2019, 09:29 AM
wlittle49
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 59 Posts

FYI. $25 or less no problem, I am in. Approaching $50, maybe not. Realizing all the convex mirrors on the market are mass produced in China for next to nothing and this is not, I hope the price does not get out of hand.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by wlittle49
FYI. $25 or less no problem, I am in. Approaching $50, maybe not. Realizing all the convex mirrors on the market are mass produced in China for next to nothing and this is not, I hope the price does not get out of hand.
Thanks for your input - what about the years of development time - CAD work - Patents - legal fees - marketing cost - initial inventory cost

None of those are made in China - what should be charge for all that?

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 01-29-2019 at 11:28 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Custom Corvette Accessories:
Foosh (01-29-2019), george vee (01-29-2019), Len44 (03-01-2019), Yaupon (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 11:39 AM
wlittle49
Racer

Originally Posted by Custom Corvette Accessories
Thanks for your input - what about the years of development time - CAD work - Patents - legal fees - marketing cost - initial inventory cost

Regards
Chip
Chip, I don't understand what you are saying. I know the product you are going to market is not made in China and is not mass produced. I know the price will be higher than the dinky stick on mirrors currently on the market. I am saying that I will be more willing to purchase this the lower the price is under $50. There is a point to diminishing returns and a price over that has diminished my desire to buy one.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts

What did you clean the original mirror with first to ensure good adhesion? Alcohol?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:57 AM

Chip, I don't understand what you are saying. I know the product you are going to market is not made in China and is not mass produced. I know the price will be higher than the dinky stick on mirrors currently on the market. I am saying that I will be more willing to purchase this the lower the price is under $50. There is a point to diminishing returns and a price over that has diminished my desire to buy one.
What I am saying is that the cost to make a product (especially a new one) is not just limited to the manufacturing cost.

There has already been a large sum of money spent just to get it to this point.

When we figure the final price - it has to include the cost of manufacturing plus the development cost (which is substantial)

We have a general idea what it will cost, but it is not finalized yet. I don't think there will be sticker shock, but I'm sure there
will be people who complain, because there always is, no matter what we price it at.

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 01-29-2019 at 11:58 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Custom Corvette Accessories:
daleh50 (01-29-2019), Foosh (01-29-2019), Yaupon (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Inferno18
What did you clean the original mirror with first to ensure good adhesion? Alcohol?
Yes - denatured alcohol

Also it will be glass on both sides because it will have a special 3m tape on it
that makes the bond between glass and glass almost indestructible. the curvature
has also been taken into account, so the tape is different thicknesses to maintain full
contact

Regards
Chip
The following users liked this post:
daleh50 (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:08 PM
Inferno24
Racer

What I am saying is that the cost to make a product (especially a new one) is not just limited to the manufacturing cost.

When we figure the final price - it has to include the cost of manufacturing plus the development cost (which is substantial)

We have a general idea what it will cost, but it is not finalized yet. I don't think there will be sticker shock, but I'm sure there
will be people who complain, because there always is, no matter what we price it at.

Regards
Chip
Most people don't take any of that into account. Some will look at it and say $XXX for a piece of glass? When you consider the extra margin of safety this mirror will provide, possibly preventing an accident, injuries and lawsuits, at that point I could see people saying "I should have just paid the $XXX. In the end it would have been a lot cheaper". Happens all the time. I'm in!

Last edited by Inferno24; 01-29-2019 at 12:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Inferno24:
Foosh (01-29-2019), Yaupon (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:11 PM
wlittle49
Racer

Regards
Chip
Thanks and I understand completely. Price will also depend on the number of years you amortize the cost over. If you desire a payback in a year the price jumps accordingly. Wonder if the C8 might have a blind spot detector or difference size mirrors that could limit the market to C7's which could affect the decisions.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:22 PM

Thanks and I understand completely. Price will also depend on the number of years you amortize the cost over. If you desire a payback in a year the price jumps accordingly. Wonder if the C8 might have a blind spot detector or difference size mirrors that could limit the market to C7's which could affect the decisions.
Exactly - volume over time plays a big role too...

Don't want to get into to deep, but it happens all the time, once the development cost is accounted for (amortization period)
you see the product price come down as well, as all the upfront money is paid back and future production cost becomes the
driving cost of the product.

In other words the cost to bring it to market for the first time is higher than the cost will be to continue to produce it down the road

Smart development says "I need to recoup my initial investment over xxx years/months, but even that is a guess based on expected volume.
If I planned for 2 years and it BLOWS OUT, I may recoup in 1 year rather our initial goal of xxx years, or if it flops, it may substantially longer than
our goal of xxx

Regards
Chip
Old 01-29-2019, 12:57 PM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Regards
Chip
I'd pay $200 installed. ...that last bit being the hurdle for me. I am not that great with little fiddly breakable parts. I have giant man hands.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:03 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Originally Posted by Dyn
I'd pay $200 installed. ...that last bit being the hurdle for me. I am not that great with little fiddly breakable parts. I have giant man hands.
Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode!

Last edited by Inferno24; 01-29-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:24 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Stick 2 wooden disposable chopsticks on each of the 4 sides (8 total) between OEM mirror and painted housing, and you'll have it made.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
CCA Corvette Parts (01-29-2019), daleh50 (01-29-2019), Yaupon (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:10 PM
devnull
Scientific Negotiator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,018 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Inferno18
Reminds me of a Seinfeld episode!

The following 4 users liked this post by devnull:
CCA Corvette Parts (01-29-2019), fcorona (04-18-2019), robert miller (02-19-2019), V Vette (03-21-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Guess what I have in my Big Meat Hook Hands!!!

Old 01-29-2019, 04:40 PM
Yaupon
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 127 Posts

Chip, thank you for your work/development of this product. Foosh, appreciate your involvement and feedback to date. Seems like the best of both...eliminating the blind spot and being able to see more of the side of the car when backing up. Another very interested C7 guy. Thanks again to you both!
The following 3 users liked this post by Yaupon:
CCA Corvette Parts (01-29-2019), Foosh (01-30-2019), Len44 (03-01-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
Chip, thank you for your work/development of this product. Foosh, appreciate your involvement and feedback to date. Seems like the best of both...eliminating the blind spot and being able to see more of the side of the car when backing up. Another very interested C7 guy. Thanks again to you both!
Thank you very much
This started way way back in the C5 days
This has actually been a pet project of mine for the better part of a decade. I've started, stopped
and explored what I though was just about every option, including with others. Our primary efforts
were on a frame less version of what is commonly known as a traditional blind spot mirror. It really got stirred
up again over one of those Bar Closing Nights last year at Carlisle

Having said that, this is not my design and in my opinion, is way better than anything we had explored.

This is the result of a conversation I had with a very talented Corvette Enthusiast who wanted to take
a look at it with fresh eyes, and I could not be happier that he did. He did the design, engineering and
sourced the prototype.

I am thrilled to be able to bring this fantastic product to market and share with you what it looks like
to go from inception to finished product. Plus now I have one less thing to keep me up at night,
Just want to be clear that the credit for what I am sharing belongs to someone else.

Regards
Chip

Last edited by Custom Corvette Accessories; 01-29-2019 at 07:05 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Custom Corvette Accessories:
cowboy casey (01-30-2019), daleh50 (01-29-2019), Foosh (01-30-2019), Sandyeggo Designs (01-29-2019), Yaupon (01-30-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dyn

No worries, get a box of Popsicle's, eat 4 or 5 of them, keep the sticks and just slide them in on the
bottom edge and the side of the mirror (in the GAP) Just place the mirror on to check placement,
then remove the tape and slide into place.

(Look at the Title of the Thread - I got the big hands too )

Regards
Chip
The following 2 users liked this post by Custom Corvette Accessories:
daleh50 (01-29-2019), Yaupon (01-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Guess what I have in my Big Meat Hook Hands!!!