C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are Vette's still push rod and plastic?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 02:32 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Ok you Vette head experts, why in 2019 do Vette's still have a push rod engine and bodies still plastic (or some variance of plastic)? Thanks
Let's summarize the advantages of the pushrod V8's over the DOHC V8's:
  • less weight
  • much more compact
  • fewer moving parts
  • lower height
  • less cost
  • cheaper to build and repair
  • lower maintenance costs
  • better low end torque
  • better power density
  • equal or better efficiency
As for the so called "plastic" body panels, that has been well covered. They also don't dent from minor dings.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 03:23 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Exotic materials = exotic prices.

The Corvette formula has worked for decades with a few bumps granted.

I’m happy with it 😎👍
Old 01-19-2019, 03:25 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Unlike many here, who are bitter old men who like to argue, NO., I was asking a simple question.- I own 3 vettes. Im not sure what the material is. Guess your one of the bitter, angry people who look for arguments..Sorry dog!
Learn the difference between your and you're. then we'll discuss this like adults.
Old 01-19-2019, 04:05 PM
JFJr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
Why mess with success!!

Ooopps, wrong generation thread! I'll try to remember the next time!

Member Since: Apr 2018Location: Saint Johns FLPosts: 85Thanks: 17 Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Beautiful Vettes, you have good taste!
Old 01-19-2019, 05:05 PM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Corvette has already had a duel overhead cam engine, the LT5 designed by Lotus and sold back in 1990 as a C4 ZR1. Terribly expensive but fast for it's time. I saw one at a show with the original sticker on display and the ZR1 option was as much as the base car, about 30k. The engine was so complex neither Bowling Green nor any other GM plant could assemble it. Mercury Marine built it for GM, adding to the expense. Now couple a modern engine like that with a true carbon fiber body and we're talking about one expensive car, way beyond the purchase power of most of today's Corvette owners. But you'd have some bragging rights at the cars and coffee, for what ever that's worth.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:25 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Unlike many here, who are bitter old men who like to argue, NO., I was asking a simple question.- I own 3 vettes. Im not sure what the material is. Guess your one of the bitter, angry people who look for arguments..Sorry dog!
Your post (and this one) are intentionally provocative. You weren't asking a "simple question" at all or you would not have used phrases like "Why do Vette's still have a push rod engine and bodies still plastic." That is being intentionally judgmental. Then you have the audacity to accuse others of being angry. You are not fooling anyone. You are not the innocent you are claiming to be. Your posts and your constant polling are designed specifically to cause arguments. That you deny this is shameful.

The following 4 users liked this post by mschuyler:
kenownr (01-22-2019), mtaxman (01-22-2019), SherwinFS (01-20-2019), Vet Interested (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Inferno24
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Your post (and this one) are intentionally provocative. You weren't asking a "simple question" at all or you would not have used phrases like "Why do Vette's still have a push rod engine and bodies still plastic." That is being intentionally judgmental. Then you have the audacity to accuse others of being angry. You are not fooling anyone. You are not the innocent you are claiming to be. Your posts and your constant polling are designed specifically to cause arguments. That you deny this is shameful.
Thank You!!!!!!! I was starting to think it was just me seeing that.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:16 PM
westworld
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

0 to 60 in 3.8 seconds and 29.5
mpg. Seems like pretty good technology to me.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:11 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

The engine being discussed is the Ford Single Overhead Cam (SOHC) 427; it was developed back in the 60's to beat the Chrysler Hemi in NASCAR but was never allowed to race. Chrysler developed a dual overhead cam 426 Hemi, but the engine never ran and was dropped when NASCAR would not allow the Ford engine to be used. Ford stuffed the "Cammer" into some Mustangs for drag racing, and they were very successful, ultimately giving birth to the Funny Car. Connie Kalitta, and a few others ran the engine in Top Fuel with some success. It was also used in some Ford bodied Funny Cars. I think a few even made it into Fairlane production cars. Very rare engine. Here is a link to the history of the engine:

https://macsmotorcitygarage.com/camm...d-427-sohc-v8/

Phil

Last edited by phil hunter; 01-19-2019 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:53 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Ok you Vette head experts, why in 2019 do Vette's still have a push rod engine and bodies still plastic (or some variance of plastic)? Thanks
COGs

Weight

Durability

Ease of installation

Content for ?able posts.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:45 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by C6_Racer_X
Like this photo?

This photo answers it for me. The Ford motor is nice, I had one in an F-150, but as you can see, it's big and not going to fit under the low hood line of the Corvette.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:57 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Default Here’s your answer

Easy decision.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

BINGO! Especially about his consistant polling.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:43 PM
proexpert
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 237 Posts

About the body panels, would you rather they be made from steel? Maybe aluminum? Just curious what the OP would make them from?

Nice article about current cars with aluminum parts.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/15-a...inum-warriors/

Last edited by proexpert; 01-19-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:09 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,214 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Seriously? Can you not say, "cost, cost, COST?" Also, for the money both manage to work well.

I"m curious, though, what would you prefer to "plastic," carbon fiber? Or...???
Old 01-20-2019, 07:54 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

Sorry that you read into things and got defensive (and angry): "Why do Vette's still have a push rod engine and bodies still plastic. I did not mean that in a bad way, heck I have vettes too! . Maybe I should of asked why do they have push rod engines and made of plastic? (Better for you?) .My posts are to ask questions but you don't have to participate. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (01-21-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 08:00 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
Seriously? Can you not say, "cost, cost, COST?" Also, for the money both manage to work well.

I"m curious, though, what would you prefer to "plastic," carbon fiber? Or...???
Maybe a bad question but why don't more (not sure if anyone else) companies use the same "type of material"? If its lighter and cost effective like everyone says?

Get notified of new replies

To Why are Vette's still push rod and plastic?

Old 01-20-2019, 08:46 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Jeez, this again?

Because of COST. PERIOD!

They spendt the money over the years developing it, and the only reasons to change the engine design is that they are running on the edge of emissions and fuel consumption limits.

A 4 OHC 4 valve engine is MUCH more efficient.

Aluminim or CF, bodies would cost a lot more. It would require dealers to spend a lot of money on the body shop to deal with the Aluminium or CF repairs. (ask Ford or Audi about Aluminum bodies.) But, Chevy is putting Al doors, hoods, tailgates on trucks so they have to invest in the bodyshop anyway...

So anyway, it's about cost, and ROI...
Old 01-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,692 Likes on 5,593 Posts

Speaking of alternative body material....
Stainless steel panels worked well on the Delorean but not really practical for Corvette because of weight.
Paint issues/dents/dings/stone chips practically eliminated. You just blend scratches/blemishes into the brushed finish with a scotch pad or steel wool. As long as you stick with the 1982 MT, nice sportscars. Handel great, but slow......................

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 01-20-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Chevette!?!?
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

I was surprised when I realized GM still uses spark plug wires,(although very short ones). My 2005 Dakota has no spark plug wires,...……...The coil packs plug directly into the spark plugs.

Quick Reply: Why are Vette's still push rod and plastic?