C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is no one intrested on purchasing my car ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM
koreanbeefcake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

first things I noticed were the huge dent in the armrest. Also the car was dirty. Vaccuum and wipe it down. Also need a carfax. You're in LA, you have tons of competition i imagine for these cars.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:12 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

This is how I look at these things. I have a 2017 Z51, M7, 2LT, Nav, 14,800 miles. Excellent Condition, no marks, no body or paint work, never hit, serviced by the book garage kept, etc. Kelly Blue Book pegs the private sale value of my car @ approx. $47500. I take all that with a massive grain of salt, so let's say the car is worth roughly $46K selling it privately. The way I look at it if a dealer offers me $42K I would then save the sales tax on that amount on the newer car I'm purchasing, that's about $3K, so that's similar to me getting $45K for my car. Then when I adjust that $47500 down for reality, I'm not too far off trading the car vs. selling it privately, and it's SO much easier.

That relative math applies even if you ratchet the numbers down for whatever the market really is today. One thing is certain: all cars are worth less in the absolute dead of winter than in mid-April, particularly sports cars.

I never worry about it, I was in the car business for a decade, wholesale and retail, made plenty of money buying and selling cars, I know that I'll lose money when I trade a car. But in the bigger picture, a Corvette holds its value better than most cars that cost $60K-$70K brand new (MSRP on my car was about $70K, I paid about $63K). You wanna play you gotta pay.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:24 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by patentcad
The way I look at it if a dealer offers me $42K I would then save the sales tax on that amount on the newer car I'm purchasing, that's about $3K, so that's similar to me getting $45K for my car.
Huh?

Every deal I've ever seen the sales tax is due on the sales price not the net price
Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Huh?

Every deal I've ever seen the sales tax is due on the sales price not the net price
if the sale price was 60 and the trade is 40 the net taxable sale price is only 20.
The following users liked this post:
GS60th#47 (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 08:37 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Huh?

Ken, you might want to check that. PCad is correct, every deal I've ever made with a trade, the tax is only paid on the difference after deducting the trade. That includes deals in NJ, GA, MD, and NC.

Last edited by roadbike56; 01-19-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:39 PM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 428 Posts

The stripe probably turns off a significant amount of potential buyers. Was it aftermarket, if so maybe remove it. Get some good photos of a clean car against an uncluttered background. I would replace the center console lid. It does not show pride of ownership.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:40 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
If that was my car My advertisement would be like this

For sale 2017 White Chevrolet Corvette Coupe with Z51& LT2 package Only 24,000 miles . One mature owner, With Clean Car fax and Clear title , Car has a red Racing stripe that matches the Red seats. Picture don't do it justice it's stunning in person,It is an 8 speed automatic ,Has heated and ventilated seats Color heads up display,Power everything in side.It also has a carbon fiber dash board along with the console, Real sharp .Has the optional clear tinted roof panel the comes off with a simple twist of a handle. This Has stock from the factory 455 hp Purrs like a kitten, but roars like a lion when you put your foot into it. To purchase a car like this brand new you would be spend in the 80's for it.It looks brand new inside and outside , Kelly blue book put the values of this car around around 46,000 in good condition, Mine is in Excellent condtion and I have it price bellow Kelly blue book for a quick sale, This is a original California car thats never seen the salty roads of the east coast. The local credit unions are offering used cars loans at low interest rates. I have the ordinal owners manual and extra key fob that goes with the car, Spring is coming and so are the higher prices, Take advantage of my winter low-priced car and be ready to be touring up and down the coast in your dream car.

ONLY 43,000.00

Cheap used car loans
Good Job, nicely done. If I was selling my C7 I'd plagiarizer liberally.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:32 PM
malexand123
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
if the sale price was 60 and the trade is 40 the net taxable sale price is only 20.
Originally Posted by roadbike56
Ken, you might want to check that. PCad is correct, every deal I've ever made with a trade, the tax is only paid on the difference after deducting the trade. That includes deals in NJ, GA, MD, and NC.
varies by state.
Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
I would also ditch the personal items (hanging from rear view mirror and shifter). Make it look like it is ready for the next owner to jump in it and drive it away.
Good point. This also is a principle when selling houses. You want it to look good but without your own personal touches, because you want the potential buyer to imagine him or her self getting in and driving it away.

Good lucK!
Old 01-19-2019, 10:02 PM
bbrown450
Melting Slicks

Received 502 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette
Take it to carmax and see what they offer - price it a couple grand higher than that to the public, then accept an offer a grand in the middle and be done with it.
I did that with my 16' Z51 to satisfy a dealer 100 miles away about its value .. was an embarrassing offer .... ended up getting 10k more on trade with another dealer....was not a good option with me...

Last edited by bbrown450; 01-19-2019 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:38 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Huh?

Not in NY/NJ, but then those are the only two states in which I was employed in the retail car business. WTF do I know? Maybe selling 1000+ cars @ retail wasn't enough experience and I missed something.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:17 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 747 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Old 01-20-2019, 01:35 AM
hemistar1
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Good way to generate interest

Originally Posted by Amarkos
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...terior-la.html

Ive had another post up for about two months and I haven’t gotten a single offer. I just made a new one thinking MAYBE my other post got blocked or something.
Is it the price ? Is it the car? I don’t understand.
The price seems like a pretty good deal especially comparing to other cars exactly like mine for sale.
I’ve seen other cars get way more attention where I honestly haven’t gotten a single offer, and I’m not going to lie, mines a bit better looking than theirs.
Any tips ?
Amarkos, wow you are up to over 70 replies already 10 times as much as your original post. PLEASE let us know what advice your gonna take and good luck with sale!
Old 01-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Boiler_81
Drifting

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

And not in MI

Originally Posted by patentcad
Not in NY/NJ, but then those are the only two states in which I was employed in the retail car business. WTF do I know? Maybe selling 1000+ cars @ retail wasn't enough experience and I missed something.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:29 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Huh?

Originally Posted by malexand123

varies by state.
In SC paid $300 sales tax for my Grand Sport. That was the maximum sales tax for any vehicle! They just raised it to $500.

Sounds good until you look at the property tax we pay per year on cars. My 2 year old Grand Sport will cost ~$1000 this year! They go by the Black Book price that stops after 25 years. So a fully restored '63 Split Window would cost zero!

Each State taxes differently. I'd guess in SC many folks pay more property tax on their new pick-up than their home! Our home property tax for "old folk" is low!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-20-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
In SC paid $300 sales tax for my Grand Sport. That was the maximum sales tax for any vehicle! They just raised it to $500.

Sounds good until you look at the property tax we pay per year on cars. My 2 year old Grand Sport will cost ~$1000 this year! They go by the Black Book price that stops after 25 years. So a fully restored '63 Split Window would cost zero!

Each State taxes differently. I'd guess in SC many folks pay more property tax on their new pick-up than their home! Our home property tax for "old folk" is low!
Property tax for a car? Rediculous. It seems like they get their tax money one way or another.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:58 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

+1 on the timing and better picture quality suggestion. If you go the ebay route just be wary of the over eager buyers who want it without any real investigation into it on their part and will overnight you a check or other negotiable instrument and need immediate delivery (or may have a 'buddy' who happens to be in town who will pick it up for them. LoL... A week later the 'check' bounces... you know.. the classics..

Get notified of new replies

To Why is no one intrested on purchasing my car ?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:10 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,287 Likes on 847 Posts

Red Stripe + Red Interior + all of that carbon fiber inside = big fat no way in my book. I think with that combo you have effectively cut out 80-90% of the people looking to buy a used Corvette. One thing you have to remember when modifying your car is that pretty much most of it will actually reduce the value. 99% of people do not want to buy a car modified in any way unless it is done in a universally tasteful way.

Your best bet is to return the interior trim to stock and really think about removing that red stripe. You will likely get more interest after those changes.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:37 PM
65fastback
Burning Brakes

Received 346 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Red Stripe + Red Interior + all of that carbon fiber inside = big fat no way in my book. I think with that combo you have effectively cut out 80-90% of the people looking to buy a used Corvette. One thing you have to remember when modifying your car is that pretty much most of it will actually reduce the value. 99% of people do not want to buy a car modified in any way unless it is done in a universally tasteful way.

Your best bet is to return the interior trim to stock and really think about removing that red stripe. You will likely get more interest after those changes.

100%

" tastefully done modifications " NOPE! ( out of the box ) they are over the top already without doing a damn thing to them. lots of folks here act like they gave birth to their corvette!
WHAT???? you don't like my wheels?...your nuts and your wheels suck.

To many C7's out there for sale and yours is WAY too specifically "tastefully modded " Put that thing back to stock and you might get some interest.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:50 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Huh?

Not in NY and NJ, you pay sales tax on the vig between the sales price and the trade in value.

Quick Reply: Why is no one intrested on purchasing my car ?