Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is no one intrested on purchasing my car ?

C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is no one intrested on purchasing my car ?

Old 01-20-2019, 01:22 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Recieved 878 Likes on 601 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Thunder22 View Post
Not in NY and NJ, you pay sales tax on the vig between the sales price and the trade in value.
Apparently it does vary by state somewhat.

I stand corrected!
Old 01-20-2019, 01:29 PM
65fastback
CF Senior Member

Recieved 117 Likes on 86 Posts

Yup here in washington its roughly 10% tax credit on your trade ...say you get 40k on your trade you also get 4k.

I won't buy outside WA for this reason alone
Old 01-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Avanti
CF Senior Member

Recieved 624 Likes on 448 Posts

Apart from anything else, given the car, and with SOOOO many replies surely someone has suggested the most obvious (to me). That is, if what you are doing--trying to sell on the Forum--isn't working, branch out and expand your advertising!
Old 01-20-2019, 07:32 PM
Zjoe6
CF Senior Member

Recieved 564 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
Apart from anything else, given the car, and with SOOOO many replies surely someone has suggested the most obvious (to me). That is, if what you are doing--trying to sell on the Forum--isn't working, branch out and expand your advertising!
Not arguing that selling in other sites would help, but It's not the forum. The ad is not up to par. Sold mine in 4 days here. You gotta do it right.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:20 PM
arturobandini

Recieved 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to photograph

As a professional photographer I would also recommend taking new pictures. But you donít need to hire a pro. Just copy the angles of photos on magazine and dealer web sites. Take your pictures in the shade, situating the car against a dark background.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:55 PM
desibaba
CF Senior Member

Recieved 144 Likes on 91 Posts

Take it to CarMax and see what they offer you. Might be better than dealing with the aggravation of selling privately.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:01 PM
Lacquer
CF Senior Member

Recieved 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ShagVette View Post
Take it to carmax and see what they offer - price it a couple grand higher than that to the public, then accept an offer a grand in the middle and be done with it.
If it isn't sold in a week, take it back to Carmax and get your check.
You may think that you want some higher amount for whatever car you are selling, but it may not have the market to back it up. From my experience, Carmax is going to give you very close to real market value. Unless you have a special car that just the right buyer wants, don't waste your time entertaining would be buyers. Unless someone is flush with cash, they will need to get a loan and if you are above market value, (Carmax will be close) they may not have the ability to finance even if they want to buy it..

Last edited by Lacquer; 01-20-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:35 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
Recieved 878 Likes on 601 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Carmax offered me 5 grand less than I sold it for, less than a week later
Old 01-20-2019, 11:26 PM
DINO84
CF Senior Member

Recieved 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it . Are you on other sites or just here ? Being a global site limits your action . How many here want to travel that far ? The other thing is I believe new vettes can be had under $50 grand . That hurts your market . But I always say it only takes one buyer . Good luck .
Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Recieved 1,118 Likes on 884 Posts

Your racing stripes kill the sale more than help it. As a growing number have now intimated. Sales tax and annual fees to license and register vehicles vary by State. Look up your State in question on that State's official website. I've saved untold thousands by picking and choosing the State I chose to register in with newly acquired vehicles. Many can be done over the Internet and mails. For example, it was a flat $450.00 charge to register in Montana, versus thousands in Texas. The States that levy annual property taxes on your vehicles are especially draconian. I travel border to border and much of the Southwest and Southeast. It's not that big a deal shopping by State for your plates. .02......
Old 01-20-2019, 11:53 PM
Aerovette
CF Senior Member

Recieved 196 Likes on 123 Posts

I like it exactly as it is, stripe and all...just can't afford it.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 AM
Jmhornz71
CF Senior Member

Recieved 181 Likes on 138 Posts

For my interest I went to the Carvana web site plugged in my Vettes info. I have a 2015 Z51 3LT 7m. Its The Daytona Orange with Kalahari interior and the dual Carbon flash stripes and 5 spoke chrome wheels. It does have 67k miles no other mods. I called them after no response online about 20 minutes later they posted they would offer me $27k for the car. I think those people are nuts about $7k below KBB min trade value. It was a shock to say the least
Old 01-21-2019, 05:49 PM
JayhawkCPA
CF Senior Member

Recieved 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Pay for an add on Cars.com. It will get much more traffic from interested buyers.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:47 PM
direct007
CF Senior Member

Recieved 390 Likes on 238 Posts

A friend in the business told me that there is a price point that makes it more difficult (not impossible) to sell a car privately. Since most people with $40k cash lying around have more buying options and the rest of the buyers need to finance their purchase, it becomes more challenging unless you are offering the car below wholesale or the car has an unusual selling point such as incredibly low miles or the remainder of a 100,000 mile warranty. Also, a detailed description of the pros and cons of your car is always a plus. Since stripes are not appealing to the majority of buyers, the first thing I would say in the description is that the stripes are removable vinyl (if that’s the case). Look at it from a buyers point of view...they can find a white corvette coupe for sale at just about any local dealer...why should they buy yours? If you can answer that question favorably, you should have no issue selling it.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (01-23-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:44 AM
Perf n Restore
CF Senior Member

Recieved 169 Likes on 73 Posts

Pull those stripes....
Old 01-22-2019, 12:48 PM
cyi1
CF Senior Member

Recieved 193 Likes on 155 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Amarkos View Post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...terior-la.html

Ive had another post up for about two months and I havenít gotten a single offer. I just made a new one thinking MAYBE my other post got blocked or something.
Is it the price ? Is it the car? I donít understand.
The price seems like a pretty good deal especially comparing to other cars exactly like mine for sale.
Iíve seen other cars get way more attention where I honestly havenít gotten a single offer, and Iím not going to lie, mines a bit better looking than theirs.
Any tips ?
Vin #.
List of mods.
State whether you have service records in hand or not and if it has a clean Carfax.
When was the last service done (fluids, brakes, etc).
What brand/size tires and how much tread left.

I'd post every little detail I had so buyers know exactly what they're looking at.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:03 PM
JayhawkCPA
CF Senior Member

Recieved 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007 View Post
A friend in the business told me that there is a price point that makes it more difficult (not impossible) to sell a car privately. Since most people with $40k cash lying around have more buying options and the rest of the buyers need to finance their purchase, it becomes more challenging unless you are offering the car below wholesale or the car has an unusual selling point such as incredibly low miles or the remainder of a 100,000 mile warranty. Also, a detailed description of the pros and cons of your car is always a plus. Since stripes are not appealing to the majority of buyers, the first thing I would say in the description is that the stripes are removable vinyl (if that’s the case). Look at it from a buyers point of view...they can find a white corvette coupe for sale at just about any local dealer...why should they buy yours? If you can answer that question favorably, you should have no issue selling it.
I agree, from a buyers point of view its a no brainier to buy from a dealer vs. a private party...It's a lot more of a pain to finance a car from a private seller, and more than likely the seller has a loan that will need to be cleared as well.

There is also comforts the dealer can offer the buyer in regard to recourse if something goes wrong with the car...and taking care of misc. items related to the purchase like sales tax ...

Last edited by JayhawkCPA; 01-22-2019 at 02:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
direct007 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 AM
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member

Recieved 1,118 Likes on 884 Posts
Default yup......^^^^

As stated above, there's no upside buying for many of us from an individual - way too many mines to navigate. Likely a majority here are buying them new anyway. If you can afford $40K or Up on what's essentially a pricey play toy. Rule of thumb? You're likely a candidate for a new entry level Stingray.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:38 AM
fsvoboda
CF Senior Member

Recieved 390 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by cyi1 View Post
Vin #.
List of mods.
State whether you have service records in hand or not and if it has a clean Carfax.
When was the last service done (fluids, brakes, etc).
What brand/size tires and how much tread left.

I'd post every little detail I had so buyers know exactly what they're looking at.

Also, you're currently in absolutely the dead zone for Corvette sale, the middle of the winter in most of the country when most people are not thinking of a sports car purchase and even dealers are going to be offering discounts to move their stock, or just waiting for the spring. I would say, don't have high expectations, advertise as widely as possible, not just here on Corvette Forum, and be patient. You only need one buyer. BTW, don't go pulling off the stripes. They will not get you a bump in selling price, I think. but they will appeal to some people as a nice extra.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why is no one intrested on purchasing my car ?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: