Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C7 Corvette > C7 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

C7 Z51 vs C7 GS long term street driving experience

Notices
C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 Z51 vs C7 GS long term street driving experience

Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM
mammoth713
CF Senior Member

Default C7 Z51 vs C7 GS long term street driving experience

Please only respond if you went from owning c7 z51 to c7gs.. I've test driven both but I'm interested in hearing a more long term review from actual owners who owned both

Does the normal driving experience change? It's the same exact exhaust right?

Does the car drive exactly the same on the street? For example red light to red light, is the GS really any noticably faster to you? Is the sound of the exhaust literally the same between both cars? Is the ride control settings the same between both cars or does GS have stiffer sport mode? Do they have the same comfort level in tour mode?

Thanks

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-19-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:24 AM
Woodson
CF Senior Member

You said you test drove both. So what are you asking?
Old 01-19-2019, 11:35 AM
mammoth713
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
You said you test drove both. So what are you asking?
Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
Please only respond if you went from owning c7 z51 to c7gs.. I've test driven both but I'm interested in hearing a more long term review from actual owners who owned both
​​​​​

The Following User Says Thank You to mammoth713 For This Useful Post:
V Vette (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:05 PM
devnull
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'10, '14

I went from owning a base stingray, to a Z51, and now a grand sport (all manual cars). I have comments...

Stingray: Softest, slowest, most comfortable ride for sure but I hated the comfort (I am a race car driver in my mind). For the entire time I owned it I wished it was a Z51. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED THIS CAR and would have kept it longer if outside events didn't change things fast (that story here)

Z51: This was an awesome car. It really did feel considerably faster than the base level car (gearing matters). It had stiffer springs, mag ride, and A REAR SWAYBAR. Add in real cooling, dry sump tank, and better brakes (albeit marginally) and this car was a sweet spot for me.... or so I thought. I wound up with an insane situation where I bought a GM press car and so I dropped the Z51 like it was a plutonium ball (story here).

Grand Sport: After 5 or so months with the ZL1 1LE, it was time to shop it. Long story but I wound up with my current car, a 2019 GS. Let me say this now: This is the car that I thought I wanted when I owned the Z51, but didn't realize was possible. This car has SO MUCH MORE GRIP it is insane. It also feels better on the street, but that is most likely due to the newer mag ride programming that I did not do on the Z51. While forward and lateral grip is an amazing feature of the GS, it is not my favorite. My favorite feature of this beast is the BRAKES. The consistent stopping power of this thing is literally unmatched anywhere. All of these cars stop well, but I have never peeled my eyeballs off of the windshield like I do on this car. This is the one to get, so go get it.

Side note: I have comments about the ZL1 1LE and the Z06 (and the SS 1LE), but you didn't ask and I am too lazy to freely type them now.

Specific questions answered in my opinion and just between Z51 and GS:

Does the normal driving experience change? Depends on your normal driving. It's not a huge difference during 'normal' driving.

t's the same exact exhaust right? Yes if you have NPP

Does the car drive exactly the same on the street? Mostly, slightly stiffer and wider (no eco car parking spaces LOL)

For example red light to red light, is the GS really any noticably faster to you? If you are pushing the car to the point of losing traction yes, if not they are nearly identical.

Is the sound of the exhaust literally the same between both cars? Yes with NPP

Is the ride control settings the same between both cars or does GS have stiffer sport mode? GS programming is different to account for the traction differences, but it is not a dramatic difference in 'stiffness feeling' on the street.

Do they have the same comfort level in tour mode? 99.44% yes

Last edited by devnull; 01-19-2019 at 03:03 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devnull For This Useful Post:
Mobil 1 (01-19-2019), V Vette (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:13 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Is there a gear difference between the GS and Z51? That would explain the GS feeling faster. Also Iíve read the base Stingray has the softest ride. My neighbor loves his. As far as grip between the 2 I canít imagine being able to push either on the street enough to tell the difference. Maybe in a straight line due to the wider tires.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:16 PM
devnull
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by saleen556 View Post
Is there a gear difference between the GS and Z51? That would explain the GS feeling faster. Also I’ve read the base Stingray has the softest ride. My neighbor loves his. As far as grip between the 2 I can’t imagine being able to push either on the street enough to tell the difference. Maybe in a straight line due to the wider tires.

No, the GS and Z51 have the same gearing for manuals, but the grip difference does punch you off the line quite a bit faster. The base stingray gearing is different.

The base stingray is most certainly the softest ride. For many that's the selling point, for some it is the problem. I drove a C5Z with race coils and T1's for years so I like it rough haha.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/che...2014.tab1.html

Last edited by devnull; 01-19-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:29 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by devnull View Post
No, the GS and Z51 have the same gearing for manuals, but the grip difference does punch you off the line quite a bit faster. The stingray gearing is different.

The base stingray is most certainly the softest ride. For many that's the selling point, for some it is the problem. I drove a C5Z with race coils and T1's for years so I like it rough haha.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/che...2014.tab1.html
Yes I agree one gets use to a rough ride. My previous 02 Saleen Mustang had the stiff racecraft suspension back in the day. My Z has the Z07 option and I drive in sport mode all the time with no issue.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:31 PM
devnull
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes I agree one gets use to a rough ride. My previous 02 Saleen Mustang had the stiff racecraft suspension back in the day. My Z has the Z07 option and I drive in sport mode all the time with no issue.
You have excellent taste! 02 Saleen, well done..

Old 01-19-2019, 12:34 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

You have excellent taste! 02 Saleen, well done..
Thank you 👊🏻 I started looking at Stingray with Z51. Then the wife said I could get the Z😄. Gotta love her ❤️
Old 01-19-2019, 12:39 PM
devnull
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you 👊🏻 I started looking at Stingray with Z51. Then the wife said I could get the Z😄. Gotta love her ❤️
AWESOME! The Z06 is truly an amazing machine. The PUNCH that car has mixed with the incredible things said about the GS makes it perfection. WELL DONE (tell her I said so too HAHA)!

The Following User Says Thank You to devnull For This Useful Post:
dcarr (01-20-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 12:40 PM
saleen556
CF Senior Member

AWESOME! The Z06 is truly an amazing machine. The PUNCH that car has mixed with the incredible things said about the GS makes it perfection. WELL DONE (tell her I said so too HAHA)!
LOL. Will do 😄
Old 01-19-2019, 01:49 PM
mammoth713
CF Senior Member

I went from owning a base stingray, to a Z51, and now a grand sport (all manual cars). I have comments...

Stingray: Softest, slowest, most comfortable ride for sure but I hated the comfort (I am a race car driver in my mind). For the entire time I owned it I wished it was a Z51. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED THIS CAR and would have kept it longer if outside events didn't change things fast (that story here)

Z51: This was an awesome car. It really did feel considerably faster than the base level car (gearing matters). It had stiffer springs, mag ride, and A REAR SWAYBAR. Add in real cooling, dry sump tank, and better brakes (albeit marginally) and this car was a sweet spot for me.... or so I thought. I wound up with an insane situation where I bought a GM press car and so I dropped the Z51 was it was a plutonium ball (story here).

Grand Sport: After 5 or so months with the ZL1 1LE, it was time to shop it. Long story but I wound up with my current car, a 2019 GS. Let me say this now: This is the car that I thought I wanted when I owned the Z51, but didn't realize was possible. This car has SO MUCH MORE GRIP it is insane. It also feels better on the street, but that is most likely due to the newer mag ride programming that I did not do on the Z51. While forward and lateral grip is an amazing feature of the GS, it is not my favorite. My favorite feature of this beast is the BRAKES. The consistent stopping power of this thing is literally unmatched anywhere. All of these cars stop well, but I have never peeled my eyeballs off of the windshield like I do on this car. This is the one to get, so go get it.

Side note: I have comments about the ZL1 1LE and the Z06 (and the SS 1LE), but you didn't ask and I am too lazy to freely type them now.

Specific questions answered in my opinion and just between Z51 and GS:

Does the normal driving experience change? Depends on your normal driving. It's not a huge difference during 'normal' driving.

t's the same exact exhaust right? Yes if you have NPP

Does the car drive exactly the same on the street? Mostly, slightly stiffer and wider (no eco car parking spaces LOL)

For example red light to red light, is the GS really any noticably faster to you? If you are pushing the car to the point of losing traction yes, if not they are nearly identical.

Is the sound of the exhaust literally the same between both cars? Yes with NPP

Is the ride control settings the same between both cars or does GS have stiffer sport mode? GS programming is different to account for the traction differences, but it is not a dramatic difference in 'stiffness feeling' on the street.

Do they have the same comfort level in tour mode? 99.44% yes
Yes, this is exactly the type of feedback I wanted to hear from an actual owner. Thanks

You said you have comments on the c7z too? Could you list them as well if you don't mind?

I think if I do pull the trigger on a c7 generation it will probably have to be the c7z.. BUT I have not totally written off buying a c7gs if the price is right. I wanted to hear feedback like this to see if I should write off the c7 z51 or not. I def already written off the base model

I test drove them all back to back and the z06's exhaust was incredible. I didn't get the same visceral feeling driving the GS on the street as a z06. The GS felt good to me but didn't give me that "wow this car is borderline insane" as my c5z or c7z gave me during test drive. IDK how to explain it. I think part of it is you can't just floor the z06, you get wheel spin; the GS didn't really spin the wheels on the street.

But anyway... Few more questions about the GS vs z51..
  • Is ur GS z07 package or normal steel brakes?
  • Are the GS steel brakes larger than z51?
  • Do the wider rear tires really make the car feel faster going red light to red light vs z51? (Since they are same gearing and hp)
  • How hard is it to spin the tires on the c7gs vs c7z51 on the street? (During my limited test drive I didn't really get the tires to spin in the GS, probably because they were wide and brand new)
  • Please list ur comments on z06

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-19-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:54 PM
KenHorse
Obama, the worst POS ever
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I had similar experience to devnull in that I owned a '14 Z51 and now a '19 Grand Sport.

I agree with his analysis too

My GS is steel brakes
Yes, they are larger than the Z51
I can't speak to the wider tires making the GS feel "faster" but I can say the car certainly feels more nimble and more responsive in turns and curves than did my Z51

Last edited by KenHorse; 01-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KenHorse For This Useful Post:
devnull (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:06 PM
devnull
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You said you have comments on the c7z too? Could you list them as well if you don't mind?

I think if I do pull the trigger on a c7 generation it will probably have to be the c7z.. BUT I have not totally written off buying a c7gs if the price is right.
Hey Bud!

You are spot on. The C7GS is balanced, composed, respectful, fast, responsible. The C7Z is insane and has it's own personality (it wants to kill you). If you have the personal street restraint and the cash the C7Z is certainly the one to get. I went GS, and there is a reason (I'm cheap). For every other possible measurement I would've chose the Z but it just wasn't in my plan for this round (yet). Chassis wise these two are very VERY close. The Z06 has a little more weight up front and slightly different programming than the GS, but the real difference is the POWA. Such a great machine (but respect it). P.S. I still miss my C5Z too LOL...

One more note: All of the cars will be very similar sounding with the exhaust set to track (assuming NPP). Possible that they were in different setting on the drive?
  • Is ur GS z07 package or normal steel brakes? - Steel. I'm cheap! That being said, these are the ones to get IMO
  • Are the GS steel brakes larger than z51? - Yes considerably, plus they are larger calipers up front (6 piston)
  • Do the wider rear tires really make the car feel faster going red light to red light vs z51? (Since they are same gearing and hp) - Only at the limits because you will get a little more traction on the GS. Assuming no traction differences, they are too close to call..

Last edited by devnull; 01-19-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM
mammoth713
CF Senior Member

Hey Bud!

You are spot on. The C7GS is balanced, composed, respectful, fast, responsible. The C7Z is insane and has it's own personality (it wants to kill you). If you have the personal street restraint and the cash the C7Z is certainly the one to get. I went GS, and there is a reason (I'm cheap). For every other possible measurement I would've chose the Z but it just wasn't in my plan for this round (yet). Chassis wise these two are very VERY close. The Z06 has a little more weight up front and slightly different programming than the GS, but the real difference is the POWA. Such a great machine (but respect it). P.S. I still miss my C5Z too LOL...

One more note: All of the cars will be very similar sounding with the exhaust set to track (assuming NPP). Possible that they were in different setting on the drive?
  • Is ur GS z07 package or normal steel brakes? - Steel. I'm cheap! That being said, these are the ones to get IMO
  • Are the GS steel brakes larger than z51? - Yes considerably, plus they are larger calipers up front (6 piston)
  • Do the wider rear tires really make the car feel faster going red light to red light vs z51? (Since they are same gearing and hp) - Only at the limits because you will get a little more traction on the GS. Assuming no traction differences, they are too close to call..
They all were on the sport setting with the louder exhaust (I believe), but the z06 definitely had a different sound to it than the GS and z51.. I'm assuming it has to do with the supercharger

It had this fire breathing snarl, especially when you shifted between gears. Sounds stupid but that might be what pushes me over the edge to drop the extra $$ on the table for the z06 over the GS.. but idk

Thanks for your feedback

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-19-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:16 PM
mammoth713
CF Senior Member

I edited my comment I think while u were writing a response..

Can you answer this last one! (Anyone who has owned both)
  • How hard is it to spin the tires on the c7gs vs c7z51 on the street? (During my limited test drive I didn't really get the tires to spin in the GS, probably because they were wide and brand new)
Old 01-19-2019, 02:19 PM
devnull
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

You can still roast the GS tires! It will certainly take more effort, but they can easily be spin in first...

Old 01-19-2019, 09:55 PM
Jeffthunbird
CF Senior Member

I drove the Z51 at Spring Mountain and I can report that there is no way that you can hit the potential of the car on the street. I kept up with GS and Z06 cars even though the Z pulled away a little on the long straight. The instructor took me on a white knuckle ride in the Z51 and told me that it was about 70% of what the car can do. I said "Whoa" to that. That said, one instructor told me his favorite model was the GS because of the wider rear tires and bigger brakes.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:38 PM
rrsperry
CF Senior Member

Lol, theses are always fun.

on the street? Zero difference. There I said it. If you are using enough car to actually see any difference, you are going directly to jail. Yes the GS is more capable, but I doubt many people have the talent to explore it. And nobody should on public roads, where you’ll be going 140 mph into an off camber, decreasing radius curve with random gravel mid corner...lol
Old 01-19-2019, 10:48 PM
mammoth713
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by rrsperry View Post
Lol, theses are always fun.

on the street? Zero difference. There I said it. If you are using enough car to actually see any difference, you are going directly to jail. Yes the GS is more capable, but I doubt many people have the talent to explore it. And nobody should on public roads, where youíll be going 140 mph into an off camber, decreasing radius curve with random gravel mid corner...lol
That's why I had specific questions about ride quality differences and red light to red light type accelerations.. I don't really speed on street. 0-60 is more fun of anything or taking it to an actual track occasionally

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C7 Z51 vs C7 GS long term street driving experience

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: