C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone has this diffuser? Other than cosmetic looks does it do anything functional?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 03:31 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
I think it will add about ten pounds of downforce!

I've worked with a few race cars that actually have down force producing devices on them. One of the main reasons for using a diffuser is to help activate the rear wing. But in order for it to work ramp angles and distance to the road surface all need to be at optimum to work. This one isn't even close. I've never seen a diffuser that was worth anything have flat horizontal surfaces, they're all curved like the bottom side of a wing (on a car). And they won't do squat below at least 60 Mph. And they won't do squat without airflow either.

If you're going to test it you need some specialized equipment such as pressure taps, and at minimum ride height sensors at all four corners. Load cells would be better. All hooked up to a decent data acquisition unit.
There are many diffusrs in motorsport that have flat topped tunnels. Sure some are more effective than others.

though just to be clear im not arguing that the diffuser the Op linked is functional or not. I'm arguing that it would be marginally effective in a track setting and more than likely not noticeable at all to the Op.

what do you mean "activate the rear wing" a diffusers primary goal is to accelerate the air under the car. That shouldn't have any impact on any wing.

Last edited by lobsterroboto; 01-21-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:31 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto
There are many diffusrs in motorsport that have flat topped tunnels. Sure some are more effective than others.

though just to be clear im not arguing that the diffuser the Op linked is functional or not. I'm arguing that it would be marginally effective in a track setting and more than likely not noticeable at all to the Op.

what do you mean "activate the rear wing" a diffusers primary goal is to accelerate the air under the car. That shouldn't have any impact on any wing.
Because it's relative. If the air above and below are "sped up" to the same speed, there is no lift/down force. And it doesn't accelerate the air under the car as much as the air exiting the car.

Anyway, diffuser doesn't do much without a really flat underbody.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:34 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by village idiot
Because it's relative. If the air above and below are "sped up" to the same speed, there is no lift/down force. And it doesn't accelerate the air under the car as much as the air exiting the car.

Anyway, diffuser doesn't do much without a really flat underbody.

That's not true.

Diffusers are just more effective with a flat bottom. There is data to support this. RHR even has their data available publicly comparing their diffuser on a "dirty bottom" car to a flat bottom car. The flatter you make the bottom the better the results.

Just because something isn't as effective doesn't make it not effective.

As far as what you're talking about since you quoted me I have no idea what you're talking about. Ideally there is zero air above most of the diffuser. Just below it, your statement of getting rid of the air is literally speeding up the airflow under the car just in different words. Which creates a low pressure area underneath the car thereby creating "downforce" for the chassis not just that one little spot the diffuser is at.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:23 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

I love the rear window slats!!! I had similar on my Datsun 260Z when I was a kid, loved 'em. I'd love to see more pics of this car from different angles to really see the visual effect of the rear window slats.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:29 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by agapsdiver
Wow
I'm quite impressed by the number of forum members who have access to wind tunnels
and have tested this diffuser to definitively state that it provides no functional improvement..
Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean we don't. That's why I said "virtually zero". It may add 1 lb or 2 of down force at 100+ mph. But so does holding your **** in before you go on track.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 01-21-2019 at 10:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Steve_R (01-26-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:33 PM
agapsdiver
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvet6
I love the rear window slats!!! I had similar on my Datsun 260Z when I was a kid, loved 'em. I'd love to see more pics of this car from different angles to really see the visual effect of the rear window slats.
Here ya go:

Last edited by agapsdiver; 01-21-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

That's not true.

Diffusers are just more effective with a flat bottom. There is data to support this. RHR even has their data available publicly comparing their diffuser on a "dirty bottom" car to a flat bottom car. The flatter you make the bottom the better the results.

Just because something isn't as effective doesn't make it not effective.

As far as what you're talking about since you quoted me I have no idea what you're talking about. Ideally there is zero air above most of the diffuser. Just below it, your statement of getting rid of the air is literally speeding up the airflow under the car just in different words. Which creates a low pressure area underneath the car thereby creating "downforce" for the chassis not just that one little spot the diffuser is at.
I never said it doesn't do anything. I said it doesn't do much without a flat bottom. In a true race car, half or more of the downforce comes from flat underbody + diffuser. That's just not happening with an "OEM" underbody with exhaust and lines and worst of all- the wake off the tires. I think F1 has like 60 or 70% of downforce coming from flat underbody. It's also a more efficient way of creating downforce relative to wings and such. None of it is going to happen at anything near street speeds at anything resembling a street ride height either so this whole conversation is moot (though interesting).

As far as wing- thing of the whole car as an airfoil. If the air above the car and below the car are the same speed, you're not going to have (much) lift (positive or negative). There is an interaction with wing and diffuser, if nothing else, because they're right on top of each other. I wish I remembered more details- it's been nearly 2 decades, but the two interact.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Would a stage 3 spoiler on z06 with the diffuser give you a better 0-60 time?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:15 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

To say it "doesn't work" is a little bit of a misnomer imo.

It has an under tray from the rear axle to the rear of the car. This will help with the low pressure air moving under the car.

With that said, I do have a revised "track version" of their diffuser that im more or less beta testing, the fences are longer and taller My car is fairly low and coupled with the taller fences I imagine it may be a little bit functional.

Nice track car!! Just an observation....Your decals on the rear fascia; TT2 and 281 are aligned at the top but not the same size fonts so they look crooked. That would drive me crazy. Hahahaha

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 01-25-2019 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:53 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by desibaba
Would a stage 3 spoiler on z06 with the diffuser give you a better 0-60 time?
probably worse.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM
Zo62018A8
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot

probably worse.
How come?
Old 01-26-2019, 08:08 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by desibaba
How come?
more drag (and weight). It’s not going to help you hook.

Last edited by village idiot; 01-26-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:40 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Nice track car!! Just an observation....Your decals on the rear fascia; TT2 and 281 are aligned at the top but not the same size fonts so they look crooked. That would drive me crazy. Hahahaha

Thanks, yep the car was a DE car for a while before i started in time trials and added the class decals. I never noticed it until you said something. My car has been washed like 3 times since 2015. v0v

decals are slightly off from each side of the car as well btw.

Quick Reply: Anyone has this diffuser? Other than cosmetic looks does it do anything functional?