Sponsored by:

Another case of dealership incompetence

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 06:33 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Wow, you would think they would know the brand and weight of Dexos 2 they are using. Chevy, specifically authorizes and reimburses the dealership for the use of Mobil 1.

That is unlivable they could not select the right filter. That one has way to low a by-pass pressure, which means on a LT1 at high rpm, the oil is not being filtered.

True on the dealer can use any approved Dexos approved oil of the proper weight ratings. That said the manual recommends Mobil 1 and 99% of the dealers know that. I would be if they are not using Mobil 1, they are still submitting the paper work to GM to be reimbursed for it. They can not charge more for Mobil one, and this has been brought up many times. GM will and does remimburse for the use of mobil 1. Heck, my dealer even went so far as to use the new Dexos 2 Mobil 1 0-40 for me. Right now the 19 cars call for that weight and I believe Mobil 1 is about the only one with it.

Installing the wrong oil filter is completely out of line when there are service bulletins saying not to use that filter. Show pure lack of care, and lack of knowledge. As for leaving a wrench, again, out of line and incompetence. He is not over reacting at all.

You go to a dealer expecting them to be trained to properly service your care with the correct parts. This was not jiffy lube who does every brands, make and model.

How do you know? There is a service bulletin that states not to use that filter. It states the filter by pass pressure is to low for the oil pressure in the LT1 engine. That means there is a very good chance the filter was by-passing and not filtering the oil. Odds are it was working as he probably was not running 5 and 6 thousand RPM. That said it is pure incompetence of the dealership.
Thank-you Dave! I do appreciate the understanding of this situation.

I was looking for a simple oil change. Use Mobil 1 (I'm fine with 5w-30 or 0w-40). The oil cap says Mobil 1, Dexos1. Installing the wrong filter, suggesting Dexos 1 is a "brand" in and of itself, all frustrating things and absolutely destroys confidence in bringing my car back for anything of a serious nature should something occur.

Love my Corvette. It's designed well. Would love to find a decent dealer to compliment the car, but decent Chevrolet dealers are elusive to say the least.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:25 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

FWIW, have changed my own oil in my September 2013 built C7 Z51 and now my Grand Sport. Why not take "advantage" of the "Free" oil change?

Because that "Free" oil change comes with risks!
  1. Chance the tech will NOT use lifting pucks and crack my rocker panels. Service writer told me they had just done that on a Vette when I bought in into a local dealer because GM sent a letter saying have the dif oil leel checked. She insisted the shop use their one alignment rack versus the 16 center post lifts as she didn't want another Vette in the body shop!
  2. Will they use Mobil 1 oil or the dexos approved oil blend the boss bought in 55 gallon drums from the low cost supplier? (Yep look it up of the ~100+ brands certified some are blends, which is all 99.5% of the cars serviced require.) Much easier to pump from the drum then go to the parts department, check out and lug 10 quarts of Mobil 1 to their work station.
  3. When filling will they just use the "estimated volume" in a table and overfill when it clearly says must check the level in the 4 volume Service Manual (something I have done for ~60 years changing oil.) A number of posts where overfilling dry sumps cause oil to go into the air intake, run down to the air filter, soak it and drip on the garage floor! It's NOT some volume "estimate" but the level on the dip stick that is important.
  4. But to check the level in a dry sump they must 1st have to get the oil hot (~10 minutes at idle.) Then wait 5 minutes after turning the engine off for oil to drain down from the internal tank baffles to check the level. BUT they can't just go on a coffee break as if they wait more than 10 minutes and excess amount will drain back to the oil pan and they will get a false low reading. Frankly doubt even all C7 Certified Techs take the time, if you are lucky enough to have one do an oil change and not the newbie mechanic working the oil chage bay!
No thanks, "free" is too costly for me!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-21-2019 at 08:35 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by JerryU:
Corgidog1 (01-21-2019), jimmie jam (01-22-2019), Pete43 (01-22-2019), sTz (01-21-2019), thompstl1 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:08 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
sorry,but,you guys get so wacked-out about the oil in your cars,,

I don't even see a real diff in the filters [just never use a fram-cardboard filter]

just drive the damned car,keep all records,and its under warranty
To a lot of us the corvette is a special car and we react accordingly.
The following users liked this post:
thompstl1 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I change the oil myself and take total control of the entire process. It’s a very nice feeling.
DannyZ06 (08-05-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 11:39 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
FWIW, have changed my own oil in my September 2013 built C7 Z51 and now my Grand Sport. Why not take "advantage" of the "Free" oil change?

Because that "Free" oil change comes with risks!
  1. Chance the tech will NOT use lifting pucks and crack my rocker panels. Service writer told me they had just done that on a Vette when I bought in into a local dealer because GM sent a letter saying have the dif oil leel checked. She insisted the shop use their one alignment rack versus the 16 center post lifts as she didn't want another Vette in the body shop!
  2. Will they use Mobil 1 oil or the dexos approved oil blend the boss bought in 55 gallon drums from the low cost supplier? (Yep look it up of the ~100+ brands certified some are blends, which is all 99.5% of the cars serviced require.) Much easier to pump from the drum then go to the parts department, check out and lug 10 quarts of Mobil 1 to their work station.
  3. When filling will they just use the "estimated volume" in a table and overfill when it clearly says must check the level in the 4 volume Service Manual (something I have done for ~60 years changing oil.) A number of posts where overfilling dry sumps cause oil to go into the air intake, run down to the air filter, soak it and drip on the garage floor! It's NOT some volume "estimate" but the level on the dip stick that is important.
  4. But to check the level in a dry sump they must 1st have to get the oil hot (~10 minutes at idle.) Then wait 5 minutes after turning the engine off for oil to drain down from the internal tank baffles to check the level. BUT they can't just go on a coffee break as if they wait more than 10 minutes and excess amount will drain back to the oil pan and they will get a false low reading. Frankly doubt even all C7 Certified Techs take the time, if you are lucky enough to have one do an oil change and not the newbie mechanic working the oil chage bay!
No thanks, "free" is too costly for me!
^^^ This.

The issue here isn’t whether the OP, or others, get “wacked-out,” it’s about a reasonable expectation that someone is going to perform duties outlined in service manuals, bulletins, SOPs, etc. Sure, nobody is perfect, but often these oversights are more negligent than an oops, sorry, won’t happen again.
thompstl1 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 PM
laserdude2215
Burning Brakes

Received 389 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
That means there is a very good chance the filter was by-passing and not filtering the oil.
Just for the record, engine oil pressure and filter bypass pressure are entirely different things.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:35 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

How do you find out if your dealer service is a certified Corvette facility. Which means they have mechanics that got specific training on the Vette.
Just asking them seems like they could say anything. Is there a listing?
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaessler
How do you find out if your dealer service is a certified Corvette facility. Which means they have mechanics that got specific training on the Vette.
Just asking them seems like they could say anything. Is there a listing?
Join your local corvette club. There's really no better local community network.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:30 PM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Seems to me it worked fine. When I drop mine for oil change, they change it, I move on with my life. Not once have I looked at the filter or questioned the oil used. If the engine blows, its under warranty (if not, they did the work) they will fix it. Its a car, don't work yourself up over it. And like others stated, Dexos is a rating not a brand. As for the wrench, I'm sure the tech that did the work would be appreciative if you returned it, esp if its a good brand like snap on or similar.
The following 2 users liked this post by speed4tu:
dmaxx3500 (01-21-2019), Ih2lose (01-22-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz

^^^ This.

The issue here isn’t whether the OP, or others, get “wacked-out,” it’s about a reasonable expectation that someone is going to perform duties outlined in service manuals, bulletins, SOPs, etc. Sure, nobody is perfect, but often these oversights are more negligent than an oops, sorry, won’t happen again.

Understand and this is NOT a new issue!

SIDE BAR:
Recall when I bought my 1st new car a 1967 Corvair with every HD option offered by GM at the time, including quick steering, HD suspension, heavy sway bars etc. My Uncle was the Service Manager at a large Chevy dealer at the time. The Uncle who helped when I "stuffed" a Olds engine in my '41 Coupe when I was 17!

GM had decided to "extend the warranty" at the time BUT said you must have the car serviced at the dealer to get the extended time. I brought the car in for it's first required oil change. Had several used Corvairs before this one. First time I did not chage my own oil. I was sitting in my Uncle's office as he was on the phone and I watched this young fellow looking all under the car as he had just drained the oi. Thought I know what he's looking for!

Went on the shop floor and asked if he was looking for the oil filter and he said- "Why Yes!" I told him to lower the car and look in the engine compartment as there was no access to it from under the car!

Recall going back to my Uncle's Office and saying, I'm not going to have someone who doesn't know where the filter is change my plugs or do anything that requires bolts on that aluminum engine. Aluminum was not common then and cross-threading the plugs was very easy to do as they were hard to access! At the time, Corvairs ate plugs and required changing often. He said "Better keep receipts." I did and GM rescinded that requirement son after BUT you had to have receipts wherever you had it done or did it yourself!

Doubt that young man made it as a fully capable mechanic, where he could make significant commission. Then as now the person that changes oil is often a new hire. In fact today it's probably more so as it is difficult to hire a person who wants a "blue collar" job. A fiend with an 8 bay service shop indicates that is his most difficult thing in his business. One that proves to be good goes on to making more money as a full service mechanic. The dealership will invest in their best by sending them to GM training to be C7 Certified.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-22-2019 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by sTz

^^^ This.

When I take my car to a dealership, I fully expect them to know what they are doing and use the correct parts for the work.
thompstl1 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 05:28 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
Mobil 1 is a Dexos oil but there are many other brands. Dexos as said above is an SAE certificatiion. It is illegal to require a certain brand of oil in any car as long as the oil meets cert. GM "reccommends" Mobil 1 per agreement with Mobil, but cannot void warranty or make you use it. Likewise your dealer can use any Dexos oil of the proper weight. Your dealer was not out of line. Likewise you could request Mobil 1 but they may charge you more. Leaving a wrench underhood.....I wont pass judgement as I have done it as well. I think on this whole thing you are overeacting a bit frankly.
According to GM Customer Support and a rep(Jeff Strausser) from GM who called me on the phone at my request 3-4 years ago, the dealers have to honor a customer's request for Mobil 1 and customers needn't wait until the 20% mark on the OLM. It was also my understanding that the dealer is compensated for using Mobil 1. I agree that the Dexos designation is not an oil unto itself and Mobil 1 is a Dexos type. This entire problem of freebie oil changes and what brand, was cleared up on the Forum and there's a stickey under C7 General Discussion, FAQ, Mobil 1 oil changes, that discuss this in detail, ad nauseum. Warning: it's a lot of pages.

Last edited by nmerhaut; 01-21-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by speed4tu
Seems to me it worked fine. When I drop mine for oil change, they change it, I move on with my life. Not once have I looked at the filter or questioned the oil used. If the engine blows, its under warranty (if not, they did the work) they will fix it. Its a car, don't work yourself up over it. And like others stated, Dexos is a rating not a brand. As for the wrench, I'm sure the tech that did the work would be appreciative if you returned it, esp if its a good brand like snap on or similar.
That's really nice---FOR YOU. Not for everyone. With your writing, my only question would be, do you keep your cars long AFTER the warranty has expired? Because, we all know engines are made much bette now than decades ago, and the warranty is good---until it expires. And, then the engine expires, too, after a few more miles get accumulated with the wrong oil and the wrong filter. Then, IT'S ON THE OWNER'S DIME because there is NO WARRANTY. So, in my opinion, yeah the OP is darned right he should be concerned-----it's his car. And after the warranty, if something goes wrong you will not be there to pay him whatever it costs to fix it. So don't be so cavalier with his money or car.

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
According to GM Customer Support and a rep(Jeff S.) from GM who called me on the phone at my request 3-4 years ago, the dealers have to honor a customer's request for Mobil 1 and customers needn't wait until the 20% mark on the OLM. It was also my understanding that the dealer is compensated for using Mobil 1. I agree that the Dexos designation is not an oil unto itself and Mobil 1 is a Dexos type. This entire problem of freebie oil changes and what brand, was cleared up on the Forum and there's a stickey under C7 General Discussion, FAQ, Mobil 1 oil changes, that discuss this in detail, ad nauseum. Warning: it's a lot of pages.
Norm, above, Vetteman Jack and stz are right: you expect some things from a dealer with your car being the one they sell and service. Such as knowledge of the car, and what goes in, and on it. If you walk into a Honda dealer and expect them to have seen the TSBs, the suggestions on what TO use and what NOT to use, that's unrealistic and not going to happen. That's why you're at the Chevrolet dealer!

Last edited by AORoads; 01-21-2019 at 06:05 PM.
thompstl1 (01-21-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:21 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Mobil 1 is a Dexos oil but there are many other brands. Dexos as said above is an SAE certificatiion. It is illegal to require a certain brand of oil in any car as long as the oil meets cert. GM "reccommends" Mobil 1 per agreement with Mobil, but cannot void warranty or make you use it. Likewise your dealer can use any Dexos oil of the proper weight. Your dealer was not out of line. Likewise you could request Mobil 1 but they may charge you more. Leaving a wrench underhood.....I wont pass judgement as I have done it as well. I think on this whole thing you are overeacting a bit frankly.
Did he at least return the wrench?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:30 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
That's really nice---FOR YOU. Not for everyone. With your writing, my only question would be, do you keep your cars long AFTER the warranty has expired? Because, we all know engines are made much bette now than decades ago, and the warranty is good---until it expires. And, then the engine expires, too, after a few more miles get accumulated with the wrong oil and the wrong filter. Then, IT'S ON THE OWNER'S DIME because there is NO WARRANTY. So, in my opinion, yeah the OP is darned right he should be concerned-----it's his car. And after the warranty, if something goes wrong you will not be there to pay him whatever it costs to fix it. So don't be so cavalier with his money or car.

Norm, above, Vetteman Jack and stz are right: you expect some things from a dealer with your car being the one they sell and service. Such as knowledge of the car, and what goes in, and on it. If you walk into a Honda dealer and expect them to have seen the TSBs, the suggestions on what TO use and what NOT to use, that's unrealistic and not going to happen. That's why you're at the Chevrolet dealer!
I agree, Bill. I talked to a local Chevy service manager last summer on a couple of questions like the above and he said the volume of emails and bulletins they get from GM is overwhelming. Add to that the turnover in service reps and even managers and the info line is short circuited and the customer has to start all over again. I just checked on the "oil stickey" that Glen e helped to publicize a few years ago and discovered most of the info we collected and collated from GM can't be uncovered anymore because of some error in saving it so all that is lost for the newer members. I had a noise I thought was a clutch problem and GM replaced the electronic diff in 2017. The noise returned in 2018 and they replaced it again. A service rep told me he still thinks it's the clutch packs and I believe it. But when you take a car in for a problem they follow a GM Corp litany of things to test with many steps to the conclusion and assume it's fixed and then when the problem resurfaces, they start it all over again. The rep and I think GM had a bad batch diffs or clutch packs and I never found out which.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

hmm they made up for using the wrong filter by providing a free wrench!
iw172 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by speed4tu
so true
speed4tu (01-22-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Another case of dealership incompetence

Old 01-21-2019, 11:13 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by thompstl1
Parkway Chevrolet in Tomball, Tx.
I bought my new 2017 C7 from Mac Haik Chevrolet on I-10 West, Houston.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1

To a lot of us the corvette is a special car and we react accordingly.
Not an issue as to weather or not the car is special. My 14 Stingray 3LT Z51 was a 8 grand more is all than my wife's range rover. My truck's MSRP was with in 700 dollars of the car.

Just like with my wife's Range Rover, My Pickup I expect the correct oil filter to be installed, not one that a service bulletin says to never use. Seems if corporate goes to the trouble to send a bulletin to a dealer instructing them of the correct part to use, and the one to never Use, I do not think its to much to expect the dealer can handle such simple task. I would also expect a dealer to know the difference between an oil specification and an oil brand. I would also expect them not to leave wrenches in my vehicle. Same with my pick up, and Ford does require special procedure to change the oil in my Twin Turbo V6 pick up. They have never screwed it up.

I have never once had an issue with the way service was performed on my wife's Range Rover. In fact it is the best service I have ever received, Great attention to detail, and never once a mistake. We have had the vehicle since Jan of 2012, lots of services as it has 145xxx miles on it.

My 14 Stingray, first two oil changes, they over filled the oil. Both times, after I went the extra step to give them the GM print out of exactly how much oil to use for a dry sump car. First time, I was mild about it. Calmly brought the car back, showed the service writer picture of oil on garage floor, and oil in air box. Second time, same service writer, and I again give him a copy of how much to fill the oil, and how to check the oil. Again, I drive home, park the car in garage. In am oil is on the floor. I am now pissed. Take pictures, Send E-mail to Corvette Salesman, the Service Manager, and General Manager with the attached pictures, the date of the first over fill, the receipt for it, and receipt for the repair to fix first over fill which required a MAF sensor replacement and all my air intake cleaned plus another oil change. I explained, for the largest corvette dealer in the State, having the largest corvette club, how can they not perform a oil change correctly when the customer gives the service writer the GM document s on how to do it correctly. I told them I felt the second time was 100% unacceptable. Service manager, called with in five minutes of the e-mail, General Manager with in half an hour. Both asking me to bring the car back, they would make it right. They also asked me not to bring it up at the corvette club meeting.

They did make it right, did the oil change again. Cleaned air intake again, replaced MAF again. Also gave me two Free Mobil 1 oil changes. Promised me it would never happen again.

My oil on my 14 was changed there 4 more times. Never an issue again, always got a quart bottle back 1/2 to 3/4 full. They have changed the oil once in the 18, again no issue.

Originally Posted by sTz

^^^ This.

Honestly no excuse for a dealer to install the wrong filter. Especially not where there is a service bulletin about it. Might understand jiffy lube, but not a certified corvette dealer.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack

When I take my car to a dealership, I fully expect them to know what they are doing and use the correct parts for the work.
That is the same is my expectation be it Chevy, Ford, Range Rover, or Harley.

I do not expect first rate treatment or service at a Chevy dealer, like I get at Range Rover. Which is sad, as the Range Rover cost less then the Corvettes have, heck 25K less then my Grand Sport.
thompstl1 (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 11:47 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

For some reason, we are all spring-loaded to assume the dealer is dishonest, incompetent or both. As with any other transaction, go in informed, or take your chances. I have incredibly good dealer experiences, and I have had bad ones. Being informed before you go will usually save you some headaches. And understand that not everything you disagree with is stupid.

Quick Reply: Another case of dealership incompetence