Sponsored by:

Another case of dealership incompetence

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
cyi1
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 169 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

That's why I drive 20 miles to a competent Chevrolet dealership when there are 3 very close to my house. I gave one of them a chance it went TERRIBLE so I'm not making that mistake again. I'll keep driving 20 miles to the same guy that worked on my C6 Z06. It's a hassle when I have to leave the car with them, but it's a lot less headache than taking it to a bad dealership.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:46 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I'm glad I'm past the three free oil change period now, as in each case it was traumatic wondering if all would go smoothly. When I bought my GS from Macmulkin the trip back to LA was 1620 miles, so I had to stop en route for my 500-mile change. I was planning on being in VA about the time 500 miles rolled around so I called the VA Corvette Club and talked to the secretary of the club who advised me to stop at Berglund Chevy in Roanoke, which was on my route, but to specify a Corvette tech to do the change. I made my appointment and all went flawlessly.

The second change came in Jan. 2018 and I selected a small dealership 35 miles away, as although there were six dealers much closer I was given good feedback on them and didn't trust my local dealers. A friend with a C7 had his oil changed at a dealer two miles from my house, but they double-sealed the oil filter (old seal stuck to the block) which caused a leak. When I arrived I told them I wanted them to install nine quarts and hold the tenth for me to top off when I arrived back home. They agreed but as I sat in the waiting room the SM came to me and announced that my GS held only seven quarts. After we got that minor detail sorted out the rest of the story was positive and I could then claim two oil changes without any damage.

Oil change #3 came about a month ago from Ross Downing in Hammond, LA. They sell lots of Corvettes and have a good reputation for service. At first they didn't want to do the 9+1 routine, stating it was a "warranty job" and they had to do it a certain way to be compensated by GM. That's BS, of course, but after I politely objected they relented. Voila! Oil change #3 was done without incident. Now I can relax, as future changes and non-warranty work will be done in my garage from now on. I only allowed myself to endure the trauma of the free oil changes was because i figured I had paid for them in the price of the car and I didn't want to pass on it.

Last edited by iclick; 01-22-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by I Fly Low
For some reason, we are all spring-loaded to assume the dealer is dishonest, incompetent or both. As with any other transaction, go in informed, or take your chances. I have incredibly good dealer experiences, and I have had bad ones. Being informed before you go will usually save you some headaches. And understand that not everything you disagree with is stupid.
When you get shafted, you might think differently. For example, Ross Downing Chevrolet in Hammond, LA shafted me out of $400.00 on my AC service. Guess what? They never have offered to make it right. So, guess what......I was dishonestly treated by them. I doubt whether they'll ever make it right.....

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-23-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:08 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave80C3
Not an issue as to weather or not the car is special. My 14 Stingray 3LT Z51 was a 8 grand more is all than my wife's range rover. My truck's MSRP was with in 700 dollars of the car.

Just like with my wife's Range Rover, My Pickup I expect the correct oil filter to be installed, not one that a service bulletin says to never use. Seems if corporate goes to the trouble to send a bulletin to a dealer instructing them of the correct part to use, and the one to never Use, I do not think its to much to expect the dealer can handle such simple task. I would also expect a dealer to know the difference between an oil specification and an oil brand. I would also expect them not to leave wrenches in my vehicle. Same with my pick up, and Ford does require special procedure to change the oil in my Twin Turbo V6 pick up. They have never screwed it up.

I have never once had an issue with the way service was performed on my wife's Range Rover. In fact it is the best service I have ever received, Great attention to detail, and never once a mistake. We have had the vehicle since Jan of 2012, lots of services as it has 145xxx miles on it.

My 14 Stingray, first two oil changes, they over filled the oil. Both times, after I went the extra step to give them the GM print out of exactly how much oil to use for a dry sump car. First time, I was mild about it. Calmly brought the car back, showed the service writer picture of oil on garage floor, and oil in air box. Second time, same service writer, and I again give him a copy of how much to fill the oil, and how to check the oil. Again, I drive home, park the car in garage. In am oil is on the floor. I am now pissed. Take pictures, Send E-mail to Corvette Salesman, the Service Manager, and General Manager with the attached pictures, the date of the first over fill, the receipt for it, and receipt for the repair to fix first over fill which required a MAF sensor replacement and all my air intake cleaned plus another oil change. I explained, for the largest corvette dealer in the State, having the largest corvette club, how can they not perform a oil change correctly when the customer gives the service writer the GM document s on how to do it correctly. I told them I felt the second time was 100% unacceptable. Service manager, called with in five minutes of the e-mail, General Manager with in half an hour. Both asking me to bring the car back, they would make it right. They also asked me not to bring it up at the corvette club meeting.

They did make it right, did the oil change again. Cleaned air intake again, replaced MAF again. Also gave me two Free Mobil 1 oil changes. Promised me it would never happen again.

My oil on my 14 was changed there 4 more times. Never an issue again, always got a quart bottle back 1/2 to 3/4 full. They have changed the oil once in the 18, again no issue.

Honestly no excuse for a dealer to install the wrong filter. Especially not where there is a service bulletin about it. Might understand jiffy lube, but not a certified corvette dealer.

That is the same is my expectation be it Chevy, Ford, Range Rover, or Harley.

I do not expect first rate treatment or service at a Chevy dealer, like I get at Range Rover. Which is sad, as the Range Rover cost less then the Corvettes have, heck 25K less then my Grand Sport.

Unlike you, I expect first rate treatment and service from any automobile or truck dealership I deal
with.

​​​​​​​.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:46 AM
Dave80C3
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe

Unlike you, I expect first rate treatment and service from any automobile or truck dealership I deal
with.

Well, I use to have your expectation. However I have learned Chevy dealers at best do acceptable service. First Rate is my Local Range Rover dealer. First rate was the Nissan dealer.

Being Military for 20 years, and now 38 years of using dealers, in no city or State have I ever received first rate service from a Chevy dealer. I have received, good service and fair treatment at Chevy dealers, but not first rate.

I seriously doubt any Chevy dealer can even give first rate service. See at Range Rover, they have a very nice customer lounge, if your waiting the on the vehicle, comfortable and quiet, well lit, free internet, free coffee, soda and snacks.. They have a lounge at Chevy, no free internet, moderately comfortable and coffee. If service requires more than 2 hours, I get a loaner of equal or more value than my Range Rover being serviced. Chevy will not give a loaner if service can be completed that day. If they need it over night, then they will lend a Cruise. You have to be persuasive to get that.

Yes, I know Chevy owners manual does not require they loan you a vehicle. Neither does my Range Rover owners manual. For that mater neither does my Ford F-150 owners manual, but they have given me a loaner every time with out asking.

When I am done with my vehicle service at Range Rover I feel they want me to come back, and they want to make sure I am happy with everything. At Chevy they always say please come back, but I have never left with the feeling they want me back.

Treatment at various chevy dealers over the years, is why the only chevy I will by is a corvette. My picks have all been GMCs which use to be better treatment then chevy. Current truck is Ford because GMC started to follow the chevy model.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by nmerhaut
....I talked to a local Chevy service manager last summer on a couple of questions like the above and he said the volume of emails and bulletins they get from GM is overwhelming.
Originally Posted by I Fly Low
For some reason, we are all spring-loaded to assume the dealer is dishonest, incompetent or both. As with any other transaction, go in informed, or take your chances. I have incredibly good dealer experiences, and I have had bad ones. Being informed before you go will usually save you some headaches. And understand that not everything you disagree with is stupid.
Can you expect the Service Manager to read all the Bulletins from GM that must cross their desk? They may flag the ones for their volume SUVs and Trucks! But with relatively low volume Vette sales do you expect them to read and remember that “unusual oil” it gets when most of the vehicals serviced in the oil change bay use the “stuff” he buys in 55 gallon drums that pumps to a gun! Do you expect the new mechanic (mechanics are in short supply as are most blue collar jobs, so they will move on to a full service mechanic if competent to make more money and commission and the replacement will be a new hire) who works the oil change bay to even know a Corvette gets other than what is easiest for them, i.e., pump from the 55 gallon drums in the bay. Their option is to go to the parts department and sign out for whatever Mobil 1 and lug it back to their work station.

IMO it’s your responsibility to know what it needed, clearly spelled out in the Owner’s Manual, and ask. Earmark that page and bring it with you if needed! I go one step further when my car is serviced, not for oil changes, I do my own, but for other work like the alignment I got free at 400 miles. I stood outside the open service bay door and watched. Chatted with the tech. Was verifying he was using the spreadsheet I gave the Service Writer that defined what I wanted for each setting to be not “just check” alignment. I also let him know there would a tip! I do the same at the tire store!

That free alignment is a good example for those that say, that is the dealer mechanics job. The allowed alignment range for my Grand Sport rear wheel camber is from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. (BTW, all C7’s have the same tolerance, +/- 0.6 degrees). Mine was set at -1.6 from the factory, within acceptable range. Had I just said “check alignment” I would be left with an aggressive setting, not good for tire wear. In fact only one toe was slightly out on one wheel. Mechanic could have fixed that in <5 minutes and said all is fine. That would have been perfectly fine. But I specified I wanted -0.8 degrees for the rear wheels and it took him ~35/40 minutes to get all camber and toes to what I had on the spreadsheet (all within the GM allowed range.). All done on GM’s dime and he earned that nice tip!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-23-2019 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nmerhaut (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 07:27 AM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingtal0n
hmm they made up for using the wrong filter by providing a free wrench!
i was thinking the same thing. The dealer is guilty of poor communication, poor quality work and not giving a crap. You have to have confidence in the dealer you use and if they don’t see many Corvettes, that confidence can’t exist.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Can you expect the Service Manager to read all the Bulletins from GM that must cross their desk?
Hell yeah, that's their job...
Old 01-23-2019, 08:25 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

There's really no way to justify using the wrong oil filter.
thompstl1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by lakemg
There's to many, and most of them are stupid.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:36 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lakemg
For my C6 worked with the Service Writer to find specific Bulletins I knew existed from forum comments re my roof rattle and the free replacement of my dif fluid. She had to use the exact words that identified when they got paid for from GM. It literally said, “If customer complains of XYZ replace dif fluid.” She used those exact words NOT the typical input from owners, “My rear end makes noise!”

You have no idea of the number of bullitins they get including for Silverado’s etc. As I recall they sell over 500,000 Silverado’s per year versus ~30,000 Vettes. Considering the Servive Manager has to worry about mechanics not showing up for work, hiring new ones etc etc sure he is going to read every bulletin that comes in from GM and remember the details!

Last edited by JerryU; 01-23-2019 at 08:37 AM.
nmerhaut (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:00 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
That is incompetence!

My friend with an 8 bay auto repair shop is on the “auto repair” advisory board of the local large technical college. I have been on the welding advisory board for over 30 years and have been chair for over 10. They have the same problem we do, I’ll explain:

All the advisory committees met as we do twice/year in the new auto repair body shop new building. Very impressive. In our break-out session I asked my usual question to our group that includes a number of local fabricators, “What is your biggest welding problem, which we can share with the welding program manager and instructors?”

Honda and Vulcraft both said instantly, getting young folks we hire who interview well and are competent, to come to work on time and be steady reliable workers. Two other fabricators said the same. An instructor from the auto program,who attended our session since they have 3 autobody welders they use to train students, said we have the exact same problem.

The school makes recommendations to the local shops hiring welders and if they graduated the two year program most are competent. But they can only go so far in determining how they will be re work ethic. They try by having strict rules about coming to class on time and being dillegint when there. They also cannot check for drug use but the students know most shops will require a drug test to be employed.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-23-2019 at 09:09 AM.
nmerhaut (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 09:16 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
When you get shafted, you might think differently. For example, Ross Downing Chevrolet in Hammond, LA shafted me out of $400.00 on my AC service. Guess what? They never have offered to make it right. So, guess what......I was dishonestly treated by them. I doubt whether they'll ever make it right.....
My Toyota dealer tried to sell me a new transmission when the only problem was low ATF. If I had gone in uninformed, I would have been out $4000 instead of the $100 flush and fill. I'm not saying they are all good. I'm saying do your homework.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:20 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 421 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
Join your local corvette club. There's really no better local community network.
In this case it would have just made matters worse. The local vette club in that part of town meets and is sponsored by Parkway Chevy, the offending dealer. Its a running joke on how bad the vette service is there but its not spoken of as they are the sponsor....
Old 01-23-2019, 09:24 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

That is incompetence!

My friend with an 8 bay auto repair shop is on the “auto repair” advisory board of the local large technical college. I have been on the welding advisory board for over 30 years and have been chair for over 10. They have the same problem we do, I’ll explain:

All the advisory committees met as we do twice/year in the new auto repair body shop new building. Very impressive. In our break-out session I asked my usual question to our group that includes a number of local fabricators, “What is your biggest welding problem, which we can share with the welding program manager and instructors?”

Honda and Vulcraft both said instantly, getting young folks we hire who interview well and are competent, to come to work on time and be steady reliable workers. Two other fabricators said the same. An instructor from the auto program,who attended our session since they have 3 autobody welders they use to train students, said we have the exact same problem.

The school makes recommendations to the local shops hiring welders and if they graduated the two year program most are competent. But they can only go so far in determining how they will be re work ethic. They try by having strict rules about coming to class on time and being dillegint when there. They also cannot check for drug use but the students know most shops will require a drug test to be employed.
I think most young folks coming up are deluded into thinking there are shortcuts to wealth, and that working really hard applies to someone but not them. The secret to being an overnight millionaire is to work really hard for twenty years first, but no one is telling them that.
JerryU (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:11 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I am fortunate in that the sponsor/dealership for our local Corvette club does great work. They keep at least one Corvette specialist all time. They sell a ton of Vettes (for a medium size city), give great support for our club and go out of their way to make things right. I like to do my own 'wrench turning', however my age and health has prevented me form doing so, anymore. I use a non dealership to work on my C-5, because I have a friend that is extremely competent on earlier Vettes. My point is, not all dealerships are bad.

Last edited by Phanni; 01-23-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:24 AM
thompstl1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 90 Posts

Can you expect the Service Manager to read all the Bulletins from GM that must cross their desk? They may flag the ones for their volume SUVs and Trucks! But with relatively low volume Vette sales do you expect them to read and remember that “unusual oil” it gets when most of the vehicals serviced in the oil change bay use the “stuff” he buys in 55 gallon drums that pumps to a gun! Do you expect the new mechanic (mechanics are in short supply as are most blue collar jobs, so they will move on to a full service mechanic if competent to make more money and commission and the replacement will be a new hire) who works the oil change bay to even know a Corvette gets other than what is easiest for them, i.e., pump from the 55 gallon drums in the bay. Their option is to go to the parts department and sign out for whatever Mobil 1 and lug it back to their work station.

IMO it’s your responsibility to know what it needed, clearly spelled out in the Owner’s Manual, and ask. Earmark that page and bring it with you if needed! I go one step further when my car is serviced, not for oil changes, I do my own, but for other work like the alignment I got free at 400 miles. I stood outside the open service bay door and watched. Chatted with the tech. Was verifying he was using the spreadsheet I gave the Service Writer that defined what I wanted for each setting to be not “just check” alignment. I also let him know there would a tip! I do the same at the tire store!

That free alignment is a good example for those that say, that is the dealer mechanics job. The allowed alignment range for my Grand Sport rear wheel camber is from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. (BTW, all C7’s have the same tolerance, +/- 0.6 degrees). Mine was set at -1.6 from the factory, within acceptable range. Had I just said “check alignment” I would be left with an aggressive setting, not good for tire wear. In fact only one toe was slightly out on one wheel. Mechanic could have fixed that in <5 minutes and said all is fine. That would have been perfectly fine. But I specified I wanted -0.8 degrees for the rear wheels and it took him ~35/40 minutes to get all camber and toes to what I had on the spreadsheet (all within the GM allowed range.). All done on GM’s dime and he earned that nice tip!

I expect the correct oil filter to be installed each and every time a dealership services a car they sell. I don't expect the service manager should have to read a bulletin that (at it's heart) says "use the correct filter, don't use the incorrect filter" in order to know that using the incorrect filter is incorrect.

No dealer should have to receive a bulletin telling them not to use incorrect parts. The fact they get bulletins stating that fact (because the issue is so widespread) should be disconcerting to us all.

Get notified of new replies

To Another case of dealership incompetence

Old 01-23-2019, 10:35 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

I can't believe how many consumers are OK with a dealership being incompetent. And yes, it's incompetent if the dealer doesn't know how to properly service a vehicle they sell, period. It's not too much to ask or expect that when you take your vette in for service that the dealership uses the correct filter and puts the correct amount of oil in your car for an oil change. No wonder this country has so many problems, stupidity and apathy levels are reaching critical levels.

Let me help GM here. There is this new technology called 'computers' and the 'internet'. Put the necessary information there and instruct your service people on how to access said information. Then hire people with IQs above 70 who can process this simple information and make sure they use it when servicing your customers vehicles. It's literally that freaking simple. Here's how it would work in practice; Customer brings in a 2019 Corvette GS, the tech looks the car up on his 'computer' and accesses the GM info which tells the tech exactly what is to be used and what is to be done. The tech follows the freaking instructions. The job is done correctly and everybody is happy. Why is that too much to ask? Holy ****.

I lucked out with my dealership and had the two free oil changes done with no issues after telling them to put 9 containers in and give me the tenth to top it off myself. But I've had nightmare experiences at other dealerships with other vehicles and it's flat out unacceptable regardless of the company, brand or how much the vehicle I am having serviced cost.
thompstl1 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 10:46 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
I can't believe how many consumers are OK with a dealership being incompetent. And yes, it's incompetent if the dealer doesn't know how to properly service a vehicle they sell, period. It's not too much to ask or expect that when you take your vette in for service that the dealership uses the correct filter and puts the correct amount of oil in your car for an oil change. No wonder this country has so many problems, stupidity and apathy levels are reaching critical levels.

Let me help GM here. There is this new technology called 'computers' and the 'internet'. Put the necessary information there and instruct your service people on how to access said information. Then hire people with IQs above 70 who can process this simple information and make sure they use it when servicing your customers vehicles. It's literally that freaking simple. Here's how it would work in practice; Customer brings in a 2019 Corvette GS, the tech looks the car up on his 'computer' and accesses the GM info which tells the tech exactly what is to be used and what is to be done. The tech follows the freaking instructions. The job is done correctly and everybody is happy. Why is that too much to ask? Holy ****.

I lucked out with my dealership and had the two free oil changes done with no issues after telling them to put 9 containers in and give me the tenth to top it off myself. But I've had nightmare experiences at other dealerships with other vehicles and it's flat out unacceptable regardless of the company, brand or how much the vehicle I am having serviced cost.
The answer to the bolded print is financial in nature.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:53 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
GM might say that's an alternative number

Quick Reply: Another case of dealership incompetence