Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to say goodbye....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:58 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Nice looking car. Best of luck with it.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:51 AM
danm1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
Friday I traded my GS for a 2018 M2. I'd been really torn for the past couple months, considering getting something else. I loved that car, but the blindspots for me were terrible. I was never 100% confident changing lanes. I also always buried my fear about the A8 tranny and cracked/bent rim issues. Just seemed like every day someone new would pop on with an issue.
​​​​​​
Came across a blue M2 at my local BMW dealer and made the switch. So far I'm really liking it. Got the manual tranny and with 365hp and that twin scroll turbo, it's a blast. And I can actually see out the windows!

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all, especially a few of you who I got to know a little more via PM's and emails.

Also, I have a few things to sell, so I'll be posting those in the For Sale section this weekend. Unfortunately, the Atak went with the car. We didn't feel like pulling the exhaust for a third time.

Enjoy your cars, whatever they may be!

Stacee

You'll be crying to get your Vette back when you soon find out how often the Beemer breaks down, They're pieces of ****, and I'm not saying this to be a Jerk and rain on your parade. My Stepdaughter, and two of my neighbors own Beemers, New ones, they have electrical issues every time you look at the thing cross eyed. It's not like they conk out on the road, more like sensor and electrical gremlins that make ownership of the car an absolute annoyance, and if they're not under warranty, the repairs are astronomical! My 2017 GS hasn't had a single issue, and I have the A8 trans.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:05 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by danm1
You'll be crying to get your Vette back when you soon find out how often the Beemer breaks down, They're pieces of ****, and I'm not saying this to be a Jerk and rain on your parade. My Stepdaughter, and two of my neighbors own Beemers, New ones, they have electrical issues every time you look at the thing cross eyed. It's not like they conk out on the road, more like sensor and electrical gremlins that make ownership of the car an absolute annoyance, and if they're not under warranty, the repairs are astronomical! My 2017 GS hasn't had a single issue, and I have the A8 trans.
I call BS. We are looking to get into our 4th BMW and have only had one small issue. A fuel level sensor went out. Other than that they go in once a year for an oil change. Had a 13 328, 16 M3 and currently a 16X5 with 31k on it. Wife absolutely loves it but is considering a new 440 convertible for a change.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:41 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Not for nothing, but a BEEMER is a motorcycle, and Bimmer is a car... ((I've been a member of the BMWCCA since 1987.... and still have the E36 M3 I bought new in 1995...)

OP, nice car... I've thought about doing the same, or the M5..
The following 2 users liked this post by rrsperry:
golden2husky (01-26-2019), spinkick (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 08:53 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Ha! Well, sometimes I didn't want that information known. So I picked and chose when I wanted to share that. Otherwise I just end up being "that chick SConn". Sometimes we (women) aren't always taken seriously when it comes to guy stuff.
But at the same time... You know what they say about ASSuming, right?
I'm still sad I traded your twin too. Wish I could afford both, but that GS brought out a horrible OCD in me as well. It was for the best... For now. Lol!
Yeah I get that. There are advantages to forum aliases. I also get the part of the problems you see people post here, especially the rim bending. It can scare you. Luckily I don’t daily drive mine or use it to commute to work so the road abuse it takes is pretty minimal. Just sunny day drives out in the country on roads I choose. I get out my google maps, chart a course, and burn as much gas as possible. So good luck, enjoy the M2. It was fun having you around.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:09 AM
chefcg1
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 379 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Congrats on the M2,great car with great tuning potential if so inclined. Been trying to get my girlfriend to trade her GTI in on one for a while, but she won’t budge.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Lol... All I can say that after reading through the F87 (M2) Bimmer forums, I am not seeing any recurring complaints from owners. None. And I've also talked to several owners of M cars. They love them. And are repeat buyers.
I've yet to see any shudder, warble, peeling paint, OP, cooling issues, seat bolster rubbing, bent/cracked rims, tranny issues, panel fitment, infotainment screen black outs. I'm sure I could think of a few more issues that seemed to come up daily if not weekly on this forum.
I realize any car of every brand can and will have an issue at some point. And I'm not naive enough to think this car will be maintenence free. But I still have several years of warranty, and so far, after doing my research... I sleep at night not worry about it.
​​​​​​It's really unfortunate. The C7 could be a hell of a car. But GM has dropped the ball with it, imo.

​​​​

Last edited by Sconn; 01-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:54 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zjoe6

Yeah I get that. There are advantages to forum aliases. I also get the part of the problems you see people post here, especially the rim bending. It can scare you. Luckily I don’t daily drive mine or use it to commute to work so the road abuse it takes is pretty minimal. Just sunny day drives out in the country on roads I choose. I get out my google maps, chart a course, and burn as much gas as possible. So good luck, enjoy the M2. It was fun having you around.
Thanks ZJoe Mine wasn't a DD either, especially since I work from home. And I don't track, but it seems that problems are effecting Vettes of all uses. Garage queens to track monsters.

There was more to it than just the possible issues I might encounter. I also was overly OCD about that car. I just wanted to sit with it, read it stories, pet it and tuck it in at night. By far and away, the most gorgeous car I've ever owned.
And that leads to the next reason. Whenever I drove her, I felt like I was on parade. This car draws attention!! The styling is just a little over the top for me (tho I loved it!) With the M, I feel like I can slip under the radar a bit more.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

To be honest, sounds like a bunch of BS reasons to me. Enjoy the Beemer.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:05 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
To be honest, sounds like a bunch of BS reasons to me. Enjoy the Beemer.
You're right. I'm lying to you all. The real reason is because I married a Saudi Prince and he wants me to get the Zr1 instead of the lowly GS.

​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Sconn:
ladder13 (01-24-2019), Rebel Yell (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:08 AM
LuckyGuy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 373 Likes on 205 Posts

Yes my C7 does present some challenges with blind spots but nothing like this baby!!
The following 2 users liked this post by LuckyGuy:
thocar (01-27-2019), Tx_94vette (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:11 AM
Internets_Ninja
Safety Car

Received 1,283 Likes on 844 Posts

You're right. I'm lying to you all. The real reason is because I married a Saudi Prince and he wants me to get the Zr1 instead of the lowly GS.

​​​​​
Even a ZR1 would be looked down upon as cheap if that were true.

Last edited by Internets_Ninja; 01-24-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Not all BMWs are unreliable. My wife's 2010 328i has 180,000 kms on it now, we bought it in 2014 with 80,000 on it. In the past 5 years it has only needed a water pump (not that expensive either, about $400) and an intake gasket (cost $1000 but that also included new plugs and new coils at the same time) A friend of mine just got rid of his 3 series BMW (I think it was a 2008) and it had 400,000 kms on it and was still going strong (but he needed a minivan to better carry all his tools)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 AM
guitarman1
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 79 Posts

Lol... All I can say that after reading through the F87 (M2) Bimmer forums, I am not seeing any recurring complaints from owners. None. And I've also talked to several owners of M cars. They love them. And are repeat buyers.
I've yet to see any shudder, warble, peeling paint, OP, cooling issues, seat bolster rubbing, bent/cracked rims, tranny issues, panel fitment, infotainment screen black outs. I'm sure I could think of a few more issues that seemed to come up daily if not weekly on this forum.
I realize any car of every brand can and will have an issue at some point. And I'm not naive enough to think this car will be maintenence free. But I still have several years of warranty, and so far, after doing my research... I sleep at night not worry about it.
​​​​​​It's really unfortunate. The C7 could be a hell of a car. But GM has dropped the ball with it, imo.

​​​​
I leased a 2015 M4 for a little over 3 years. Excellent vehicle, lots of power, and not a single problem. A nice thing about BMW is that maintenance on the car was covered for 4 years. Yeah, I know it's rolled into the price, but it is added value. The M requires a lot more maintenance than a regular BMW. For example, they changed the spark plugs at 30K.

I almost purchased the car once the lease was out, but the main thing that held me back was my worry about how expensive the car would be to fix if something went wrong. But, like you said, there have been no specific or reoccurring complaints about the twin turbo engines or transmissions in these M cars.

So here I am on the Corvette Forum, learning about the C7 before I make the jump into a GS.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuckyGuy
Yes my C7 does present some challenges with blind spots but nothing like this baby!!
So beautiful!! And I can see what you mean. Probably looks like a wall there.
The following users liked this post:
LuckyGuy (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TriPinTaZ
Even a ZR1 would be looked down upon as cheap if that were true.
You're fun...
Old 01-24-2019, 10:46 AM
ToomRaider
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

A business associate just totaled his M2 in Kali. Lost it in the rain with semi-slicks. Broken hip, arm and ribs.
He almost killed me last year when he took me for a ride in his 911 GT3 RS.

Get notified of new replies

To Time to say goodbye....

Old 01-24-2019, 10:50 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks ZJoe Mine wasn't a DD either, especially since I work from home. And I don't track, but it seems that problems are effecting Vettes of all uses. Garage queens to track monsters.

There was more to it than just the possible issues I might encounter. I also was overly OCD about that car. I just wanted to sit with it, read it stories, pet it and tuck it in at night. By far and away, the most gorgeous car I've ever owned.
And that leads to the next reason. Whenever I drove her, I felt like I was on parade. This car draws attention!! The styling is just a little over the top for me (tho I loved it!) With the M, I feel like I can slip under the radar a bit more.
Ignore all of the negative Nancy/Debbie Downer types. Enjoy your new M2, I'm sure it will be great & a lot of fun. I think you'll eventually have another Vette in the garage too (perhaps a C8), parked right next to your M2.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Ignore all of the negative Nancy/Debbie Downer types. Enjoy your new M2, I'm sure it will be great & a lot of fun. I think you'll eventually have another Vette in the garage too (perhaps a C8), parked right next to your M2.
Lol... Honestly, I'd expect nothing more from some forum members here. I get it. When you're passionate about something, it doesn't make sense when someone else doesn't share the same level of passion. People get insecure and defensive. Maybe to protect themselves from their own doubts?
Not sure about the C8. We'll see, but I have a feeling I'm gonna prefer the C7 looks-wise.

Thanks for the well wishes!
The following users liked this post:
65fastback (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:01 PM
Labmannn
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the new BMW. Love the color! I just came from a 525 and then a 335 (twin turbo as well). The cost of repairs to the 335 exceeded my enjoyment of the car so I sold them both and went back to the Vette. Vettes do have a limited view when driving. I use convex mirrors to help with the view. Good luck with the Beamer.

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye....