Sponsored by:

Time to say goodbye....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
Congrats on your new ride. BMW hit a home run w/ the 2 series car (230i M240i and the M2). Many agree that the 2 series recaptures the old BMW magic Additionally, the 2 series have a very good reliability and repair record. CD listed the M2/M240i as one of the best in 2017 (they said the same for the Corvette GS).
The 2 series really is a great car, and you can still get the inline six (turbocharged as well) and they are just the right size too (I like smaller cars as daily drivers personally) My only beef is that they are quite heavy for such a small car. I'd love to have an M240i as a daily driver to replace my aging 2006 Civic coupe.

Last edited by Patman; 01-25-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Isn't a lot of the reason BMW got such a bad rep because of all the electronic stuff going bad? They do tend to pour way too much in those cars.
​​​​​​My M2 definitely has some tech, but it's not like some of the other series where it's just beyond ridiculous.

It's funny... The C7 and M2 are almost the exact same length. The M2 feels smaller. It's got to be that long, wide hood in the C7. The Vette felt more planted, and oddly (to me) heavier. To me, the M2 is more tossable.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:00 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Sconn
Thanks ZJoe Mine wasn't a DD either, especially since I work from home. And I don't track, but it seems that problems are effecting Vettes of all uses. Garage queens to track monsters.

There was more to it than just the possible issues I might encounter. I also was overly OCD about that car. I just wanted to sit with it, read it stories, pet it and tuck it in at night. By far and away, the most gorgeous car I've ever owned.
And that leads to the next reason. Whenever I drove her, I felt like I was on parade. This car draws attention!! The styling is just a little over the top for me (tho I loved it!) With the M, I feel like I can slip under the radar a bit more.
I find that comment and that professionally done pic in post 39 very interesting. In any case, it's even more interesting that you say goodbye on the open forum and list what you consider problems with the vette although I doubt many have seen your posts, I haven't, and say that you are only targeting a select few with your goodbye. I don't think I have ever said goodbye to a friend and pointed out possible problems with what they own in the same breath. Many of us that have enjoyed vettes for years have seen our share of trolls. So, don't take exception if some of us find your posts suspicious.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:27 AM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

We have both, C7 vert that my wife drives in summer and we share a BMW 650 vert in the winter. She does not like to drive the C7 on interstates with the top up due to blind spots (and really not a fan of interstates with the top down either). She and I both really like the Bimmer, almost the same HP (430) and its going on 6yr old with just a couple of little problems under warranty in those 6 yr. I like driving under the radar a little more in the BMW, while the wife, long haired blond in a black C7 convertible likes to show off I think (even at her age of 65)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:36 AM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Fine Skid... Here you go.

Enjoy!!
Um... please don't leave...
Old 01-25-2019, 10:47 AM
unclechevy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im flying to cali on saturday to buy my first vette a 2011 zr1 with a 101,000 miles for 37k out the door. Am i crazy? Please help!
Old 01-25-2019, 10:58 AM
rckt
Melting Slicks

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

BMW's are the one of the best cars for daily driving. However, I would lease not own it as the repair expense is ridiculous. I went from Corvette to BMW and now back to Corvette. There is something about this car that draws me back. Good luck in your BMW, they are fun to drive and keep it for as long as the warranty.

Last edited by rckt; 01-25-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:59 AM
Sconn
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts

Jeez guys... I'm a 41 year old mother of one, married for nearly 19 years. Like I'm gonna post a real picture of myself on a public forum just because Skid asked for one? Right...

As to the troll comment, think what you want. I was very active on this forum for the few months I owned the car. I made a couple connections beyond the forum via emails or pm's, so saying goodbye was just a way to close this door.

Regardless, when I post stuff for sale in classified section this weekend, everyone would have known anyways and I'm sure one curious person would have asked why I sold my car. Rather than doing it in the for sale section, I chose to post a goodbye in general discussion. If you don't like it, don't care, whatever .. Then don't freaking read my post and there's especially no reason to waste time replying!
The following 5 users liked this post by Sconn:
Big Lebowski (01-25-2019), jtgnc (01-25-2019), Kevin A Jones (01-26-2019), V Vette (01-25-2019), Vet Interested (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:56 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 377 Likes on 270 Posts

Jeez guys... I'm a 41 year old mother of one, married for nearly 19 years. Like I'm gonna post a real picture of myself on a public forum just because Skid asked for one? Right...

As to the troll comment, think what you want. I was very active on this forum for the few months I owned the car. I made a couple connections beyond the forum via emails or pm's, so saying goodbye was just a way to close this door.

Regardless, when I post stuff for sale in classified section this weekend, everyone would have known anyways and I'm sure one curious person would have asked why I sold my car. Rather than doing it in the for sale section, I chose to post a goodbye in general discussion. If you don't like it, don't care, whatever .. Then don't freaking read my post and there's especially no reason to waste time replying!
I know what you mean! Thanks and farewell!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,934 Likes on 2,422 Posts

Some of us take rejection better than others.

Last edited by Zjoe6; 01-25-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:16 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,898 Likes on 1,160 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
That's not her! I don't know where she got that picture but that's a pic of my wife 6 month's after having our son.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:07 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow! Great sales price on that Supra! And now some are selling for way over that, I've seen.

As to the hit on the Vette...I bought both the GS and the M2 used. Paid $57k for my GS and the dealer gave me just under $52k. They had the Bimmer listed at $50k, so it was nearly a straight across trade as far as that goes. As to total loss, I'm not too crushed.
Thought about selling outright. In fact, about 3 months ago I got a cash quote from a dealer and they were only gonna give me $48k. Needless to say, I declined. The only good thing about trading a vehicle in, in my state at least, is you only pay the difference in sales tax between the cars.
In Ohio we only get the tax break if we're trading in on a new car so you do get a huge break in your state. BTW, not only did I get a decent return on selling my '94 Supra, the dealer had knocked off $10K, from $48 to $38500 when I bought it new.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:12 PM
FLEXjs
Le Mans Master

Received 661 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
You thirsty AF brother.....

Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Ignore the idiots! If you do end up coming back, blue cars are the fastest
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

As an ex BMW dealership parts mgr., See Ya , DON'T want to be ya.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 PM
ZERRY 316
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

OK wotever, so if you don't own another Vette you don't have to come here anymore. jus saying
Old 01-26-2019, 09:08 AM
ryang25
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful car! I considered a M2 before buying the C7.

Also coming from a Nissan 370Z to C7. What blindspot? The visibility in the C7 is like my wife’s suv comparing to the 370Z.

Get notified of new replies

To Time to say goodbye....

Old 01-26-2019, 11:03 AM
tom1fastcar
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Default "buried my fear about the a8 tranny"

[QUOTE=Sconn;1598743914]Friday I traded my GS for a 2018 M2. I'd been really torn for the past couple months, considering getting something else. I loved that car, but the blindspots for me were terrible. I was never 100% confident changing lanes. I also always buried my fear about the A8 tranny and cracked/bent rim issues. Just seemed like every day someone new would pop on with an issue.
​​​​​​
Came across a blue M2 at my local BMW dealer and made the switch. So far I'm really liking it. Got the manual tranny and with 365hp and that twin scroll turbo, it's a blast. And I can actually see out the windows!

Anyway, just wanted to thank you all, especially a few of you who I got to know a little more via PM's and emails.

Also, I have a few things to sell, so I'll be posting those in the For Sale section this weekend. Unfortunately, the Atak went with the car. We didn't feel like pulling the exhaust for a third time.

Enjoy your cars, whatever they may be!

Stacee

You have to realize that on any forum you are going to have the least satisfied owners write in and complain. Do you know what the real A8 failure rate is? Is it really a problem? Does BMW have problems with their econobox that you just bought? I read the same issues about the RAM ecodiesel that I drive--and they did experience about a 2-3% engine failure rate in '14 and '15. I bought a '17 anyway--sitting and worrying about what-ifs and maybes can take all the fun out of anything which indicates that you probably made the right choice in selling the 'Vette. Good Luck and enjoy your new car!
Old 01-26-2019, 06:23 PM
traind
Racer

Received 310 Likes on 159 Posts

Regarding the visibility comment in the OP... make sure you know how to properly adjust side view mirrors and visibility concerns diminish quite a bit. With your head at the centerline of any car, make sure the passenger side mirror is adjusted so the side of the car is just "not visible" in the mirror. This eliminates lane changing blind spots. For the driver side mirror do the same with your head touching the driver side window. Then test it by driving in the center lane on the highway and let cars go by on either side... you should never lose sight of a passing car if you have them done right.

Regarding Doug Demuro... I like his videos but dont think he has a lot of credibility regarding at the limit performance. But I am not dissing him nor the M2. I have driven the M2 on a road course and it is a fun car. Performance is a good bit behind the GS on track but the M2 feels good with approachable handling at the limit of oversteer.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:21 AM
thocar
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Years ago I was only driving BMW´s - up to 12 Cylinder 750´s - only problems with BMW.

They could offer me one as a gift - I would not drive a BMW again.

Thomas

Quick Reply: Time to say goodbye....