Sponsored by:

2019 C7 - The adventure begins...

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:17 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default 2019 C7 - The adventure begins...

2019 Corvette – The adventure begins…

Well, out with the old, in with the new. Recently sold our 2004 Corvette, purchased new on August 19, 2004, to a buyer in Texas. He is a forum member ( @bigsapper ) and the sale couldn’t have gone any better. Even long distance, there were no issues with the sale and it’s nice to see how easy a long-distance transaction can be when 2 folks conduct what could have been a transaction fraught with suspicion, paranoia and drama and just plain ‘do the right thing’, working towards a common goal.

Props to Corvette Forum member @bigsapper for making this as easy and streamlined as possible.

Original sale thread: on Corvette Forum: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...0-ne-ohio.html

See ya C5, Had a lotta fun…

While the 2004 is out of our hands now, it is by no means on the downside as @bigsapper has some big plans for it and is already embarking on the second phase of this car’s life. His thread detailing the plans for this car is located here, a thread which we’ll be watching with great interest to see what comes next: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...k-jack-c5.html

So, what to do with the 2019 C7 when it arrives? Well, let’s see what we’re working with:

Stingray Coupe 2LT
Exterior: Black
Interior: Jet Black, Perforated Mulan leather seating surfaces
2LT Preferred Equipment Group
Z51-style 5-split spoke, chrome aluminum
8-speed paddle shift automatic transmission
Red-painted brake calipers
NPP Performance exhaust
Transparent roof panel

Pondered a Grand Sport for a bit, the looks are certainly appealing but, in the end, merely added some things that I would not really have a use for. This car will be my wife’s daily driver from April thru November and she certainly has no need for dry-sump and some of the other ‘track-centric’ items included with the GS so this is where we landed; I think it will fit our needs quite well.

And yes, ordered with the suspect A8 transmission despite the long-standing issues reported by many. I’ve had a variety of manual transmission cars, from Mustangs to WRX’s and frankly, I’m over that part of cars at this point. Will we be beset by A8 issues? Certainly a possibility, kinda playing the odds on this one but only time will tell how troublesome it becomes. If it becomes too problematic, then we just sell the car and take the hit on depreciation and move on to something else…there’s certainly bigger problems to have in life than your ‘toy’ car not living up to expectations. Would obviously be disappointing but not the end of the world either. Life goes on.

The car was ordered from Chesrown Chevrolet in Delaware, Ohio and the deal, conducted mostly via e-mail, couldn’t have gone better. While I live in NE Ohio, I was looking for a dealer closer to central Ohio as the car will be going right from dealer to Esoteric Detailing in New Albany, OH immediately upon delivery for a full new car protection package. Yes, I could have done a Courtesy Delivery from one of the larger volume Corvette dealers and perhaps got a little better price but dunno, not really a fan of pitting dealers against themselves to save a few hundred $$.

This entire process will be less about dollars and more about the experience so my comfort with the people I working with is far more important to me than a few dollars here and there if indeed I could have shaved a few shekels off the bottom line number but to be honest, I’m not sure I could have. Regardless, a price was agreed upon that fit my budget, expectations and comfort level and thanks to Joey Gill at Chesrown for facilitating the transaction in a smooth, efficient and entertaining manner. Fun folks down there for sure…

A note regarding the Corvette Museum and their program regarding GM Supplier Pricing for members; the program has ended (as of 12/31/2018) and indications are it may not be back anytime soon based upon nothing more than the impression I got after contacting the Museum. A moot point for the most part as many high-volume dealers can beat the supplier price anyway.

In any event, I’m completely satisfied with the deal and look forward to working more with Joey and Chesrown as we move forward thru the process. I hear they may be getting to purchase another COPO Camaro…that’s my kinda dealer.

With all the housekeeping items out of the way, we’ll move on to plans for this car going forward. While with the C5, adding a few bolt-on’s was fun but I really don’t see anything being done to this new car mechanically. Won’t be laying on the floor of the garage installing long tube headers, a cold air intake, painting brake calipers or sending it in for a dyno tune like we did with the C5; much like manual transmissions, those days are in the past for me. Instead, we’ll be investing some money into the aesthetic side of things with an eye towards keeping the car in as good of visual shape as possible, with the least amount of effort on my part. I like black cars, I like clean black cars but I don’t necessarily like cleaning black cars.

So how did I decide where to send the car for the best protection I could justify financially when there are plenty of shops out there that do Paint Protection Film, coatings and such? Well, being a DIY amateur hour detailer for the past 2 years (one with an addiction to correcting paint and applying glass/quartz/ceramic coatings), I ran into them (Esoteric) as they are the U.S. Distributor for one of my favorite coatings, Kamikaze. I’ve applied and watch a variety of coatings perform over the past 2 years, currently at around 20+ different products/many different combos…some mainstream, some kinda out there on the fringes but all showed me something that was beneficial towards my specific needs and preferences

When looking for a coating that works best for me, the following are things I’m looking for:

I live in NE Ohio so all my findings/thoughts are based on that climate. The characteristics of a coating that matter most to me are:

Great Self Cleaning Abilities: Our cars see rain and often get rained on in the morning and then sit outside in the sun in the afternoon; don’t like waterspots. I like clean cars but don’t like cleaning cars.

Durability and resistance to environmental contamination like water spots and bird bombs: Don’t wanna have to worry about running home and immediately dealing with removing things that would otherwise etch bare paint. Like hard water spots did to our Corvette during the Zaino years. Also has to last cuz I don’t wanna be hauling out compounds and polishes every Spring, given reasonable maintenance.

Appearance: Well, stuff has to look good. Has to accentuate body lines, curves and hard edges. It needs to make me stop and admire it when walking towards it, walking away from it or catching a glance in the garage when I take out the garbage.

While coatings are nice, despite the generally over-stated claims of scratch resistance, they have proven (for me) to be an excellent way to keep a car looking nicer with less effort on my part. They also provide increased protection form environmental issues. Not the perfect solution (nothing really is) but the closest I would get in a DIY atmosphere.

As mentioned, coatings fit some situations quite nicely but despite claims of “10h Diamond-Infused Hardness", they offer little to no protection from rock chips on the highway, of which the nose of the 2004 had evidence of over the 14 years. Once, after I had finally completed re-doing the C5 in Kamikaze in the Summer of 2017, a week later a rock bounced off the hood, leaving a nice chip that went through the black paint, and left the white core of the hood visible…major depression. So, since we’re starting new with the C7 figr’d may as well move beyond coatings and give paint protection film a go…definitely not something I could do myself in the garage.

Over the past 2 years, since becoming familiar with Esoteric, I found them to be extremely helpful to me in my DIY endeavors; never failing to answer any silly questions I had despite the fact that they surely had more lucrative ways to spend their time. As time went on, started going to some of their events, during which I not only got to see some really entertaining cars they had worked on (including a $3M Bugatti Chiron) but was able to look very closely at some cars that had rec’d some of the services I was interested in. Not sure if it is a forum member or not but last October I looked over the following car, very, very closely, trying to find any seams in the PPF or indications that the car had PPF applied. After about 45 minutes, I had yet to find any evidence of stuff like that. Additionally the STEK DynoShield they apply is both highly hydrophobic and has some self healing qualities so lightly induced marring from routine washing will likely not be a lasting issue.

After seeing some of their work in person, watching some vids of other work they do and just spending some time getting to know them, I decided I wanted to pursue this PPF along with some portions of their new car prep service when our new C7 arrives.

I figure if they’re taking care of cars like those seen in the vids below, my little ‘ol Chevy will be in good hands. It's goind to be a somewhat substantial investment but I think going through the process is going to be great fun and in the end will result in the best protection I can get with as little maintenance going forward.

The Collection Videos:

An Amazing Car Collection and Facility! 2018 Update...

The Collection. A Preview by ESOTERIC!

The Collection: Mobile Detailing

Video showing a bit of what goes on during installation of PPF:

A random winter day in their shop:

Pulled directly from their website, a description of part of what we’ll be having done; we're gonna work towards picking and choosing the best approach that fits my needs and budget once the car is on-site and has been assessed.

Esoteric New Car Prep
THE BEST TIME TO PROTECT YOUR VEHICLE
Just because a vehicle is brand new, it doesn’t mean that it is perfect. In many cases, new cars need to be machine polished to remove imperfections and to bring the gloss and clarity up to its full potential. Likewise, new vehicles come with no protection on the paint, wheels, glass, interior, etc. to keep it looking its best for a long time to come.

At ESOTERIC, we work on a lot of brand new vehicles from daily drivers to exotics and everything in between…we regularly have brand new cars shipped to us from all corners of the United States specifically for our new car preparation to get them started off right.

Because not every car is the same, and not every owner has the same wants and needs, we offer a variety of new car preparation and protection services.

Our premium services have gained worldwide popularity over the years through our relentless dedication to providing the highest quality of work, through the use of the best products and tools in the industry, and by making the customer experience second to none.

Unrivaled Paint Polishing Services
We constantly test and evaluate processes to develop the highest performing (and safest) paint polishing techniques to bring out the most clarity and gloss. OEM auto manufacturers and professional detailers around the world have hired us to train them how to polish paint at the highest level.

Foremost Tools and Products
Equally as important to superlative techniques is utilizing the premier tools and products from the leading brands in the industry. Not only are we constantly testing and evaluating tools and products that produce the best results, but we also work directly with many of the top brands to provide product development support. We have also invested significantly in testing equipment that allows us to find the highest performing products without subjectivity.

Finest Paint Protection Film (PPF)
We use precision measuring equipment to test for the best clarity of film, which results in a better-looking install. We use film with the latest in hydrophobic technologies, which provides the best self-cleaning characteristics. We also require our films to have self-healing properties to keep it looking good for many years to come. There are a lot of different brands and quality levels in the market, and we continuously monitor new technologies to make sure we are offering film that meets our exacting quality requirements.

Unsurpassed Paint Protection Film Installation
The quality of installation makes all of the difference, and we continually benchmark our work against others to ensure that our customers are receiving reference-level work! The top PPF installers in the business are true artisans, and the difference between a good installer and a great one is significant to say the least. We network with, and share techniques with the top artisans in the business so that we know we are providing the cleanest installs out there. Vehicle disassembly (when needed), and tucking edges wherever possible are just a few of the key features of our installs that separate them from others.

Customer Experience That is Second to None
ESOTERIC was founded upon professionalism in everything we do. From the first contact, through the services process, to final delivery, our customers are treated with the highest levels of respect and professionalism to ensure that the customer experience is as good as the quality of service.

THE ESOTERIC NEW CAR PREP - MOST POPULAR PACKAGE
For those looking for the best-curated package of services that we offer, The ESOTERIC New Car Prep combines all of our most popular areas of expertise, in one convenient package to enhance and protect your new car.

We first start off by machine polishing the paint to bring out a higher level of clarity to the finish. Then for protection, we apply the most optically correct paint protection film on the market to the full front end, mirrors, rocker panels, and rear wheel impact areas. Finally, we apply durable coatings on the paint, wheels, exterior trim, and interior where applicable.

When finished, your car will look better than when it came from the factory, and it will have long-term protection to protect your investment and to make maintenance easier.

Time required: 4-5 days

SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE ESOTERIC NEW CAR PREP

1. Signature Hand Wash, and surface decontamination.
2. Single Stage Paint Correction is performed using a Dual Action (D/A) random orbital and polish. Extensive testing goes into each car to identify the optimal combination, which will deliver the highest quality results.

High impact Area Paint Protection Film Package
- Full Front End and mirrors
- Rocker Panels & Lower Doors (if applicable)
- Rear Wheel Impact Area

ESOTERIC Coating Package (Level 2 Coating)
- Signature Hand Wash
- ISM Coat by KAMIKAZE Collection applied to painted surfaces.
- Exterior plastic trim coated by ISM Coat
- 2 layers of wheel coating applied to wheels and brake calipers
- Windshield coating
- Fabric coating on carpets and floor mats
- Leather coating applied to seating surfaces

YouTube: Esoteric New Car Prep -

The focus is going to be on the PPF installation and will pick and choose some other aspects of their services to round it out.

So, that’s what I got ahead of me in 6-8 weeks. I have no affiliation or vested interest in either the purchasing Chevrolet dealer, nor Esoteric Detailing. Just laying out what/why/where I’m getting things done, the thought process behind it, why I chose who I chose. There’s certainly plenty of other options out there but at the end of the day, this is both a recreational car and a recreational purchasing & preparation process so I wanna enjoy the people I’m going to be working with. Whether the intangible aspects that I find necessary to keep me happy during the process are worth the $$ is my decision and my decision alone and I don’t expect it to be the best solution for everyone, but it is the best course of action for me.

YMMW.

Last edited by BudgetPlan1; 01-29-2019 at 07:44 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BudgetPlan1:
bigsapper (01-24-2019), brian98vette (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:47 AM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm pretty sure I can hook you up on the GM Supplier Pricing.
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:20 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Congrats on purchase. I think you'll find based on all the improvements made to the C7 since the C5, you won't need to do any bolt ons.

PS - your avatar is creepy.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

I like black cars, I like clean black cars but I don’t necessarily like cleaning black cars.
lol, same here.

…they offer little to no protection from rock chips on the highway, of which the nose of the 2004 had evidence of over the 14 years. Additionally, once I had finally completed re-doing the C5 in Kamikaze in the Summer of 2017, a week later a rock bounced off the hood, leaving a nice chip that went through the black paint, and left the white core of the hood visible…major depression.
One thing I noticed with my C7, is that it didn’t seem to be quite the sand/pebble/rock magnet that my previous C5 had been.
BudgetPlan1 (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

It's working then!

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
PS - your avatar is creepy.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:49 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Todd Cooperider (owner of Esoteric Car Care) is a personal friend of mine....they do outstanding work. Congrats on the upgrad.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-24-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:02 PM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

Congratulations Kurt. Beautiful car for sure..
Old 01-24-2019, 01:12 PM
brian98vette
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats! Love the story behind the purchase - good luck with it
Old 01-24-2019, 07:43 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Todd Cooperider (owner of Esoteric Car Care) is a personal friend of mine....they do outstanding work. Congrats on the upgrad.
Really a great bunch of folks there for sure and the work is certainly top-shelf. The help they've provided me since first getting into paint corrections and coatings has been incredible.

Gonna let the pros take care of this one though...and getting to run our car through their studio is gonna one of the highlights of the process for me...I'm kinda a geek for this type of thing.

From the firsthand experiences I've had with everyone at Esoteric, I *know* the car is in good hands and the work will be far, far beyond expectations.

Originally Posted by justplainjim
Congratulations Kurt. Beautiful car for sure..
Thanks; pondered Long Beach Red or Elkhart Lake Blue, even Arctic white for a moment (just looks so classy with chrome wheels and body-color vents) but in the end, can't deny my obsession with black.

Since getting into glass/ceramic/quartz coatings black has become much, much easier to live with.

Originally Posted by brian98vette
Congrats! Love the story behind the purchase - good luck with it
Hopefully it matches our C5 as far as good luck goes. Aside from 2 window regulators and the relatively recent dimming of HVAC display, nary a problem with it in 14+ years with the 2004.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-24-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:09 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

The Corvette Forum Chev. dealers could have saved you a bunch of money. There's no; "pitting one dealer against another." Unless you wanted to see if your local dealer could match the forum dealers. Which isn't likely.

​​​​​​​.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:39 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Congrats on your C7 -
BudgetPlan1 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:15 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The Corvette Forum Chev. dealers could have saved you a bunch of money. There's no; "pitting one dealer against another." Unless you wanted to see if your local dealer could match the forum dealers. Which isn't likely.
I would suggest that, lacking access to my e-mail Inbox and the specifics of the deal I settled on, the assumption that “The Corvette Forum Chev. dealers could have saved you a bunch of money” is just a bit presumptuous, or in the very least somewhat myopic based upon your personal desires and views of the purchasing process. Everyone is different, with different priorities and requirements so…no harm, no foul.

I’ve been watching dealer threads since late September and am well aware of the aggressive pricing offered through one or more of the National Forum Dealers. If $$ were my only concern I would jumped on the GM offer of Employee Discount for Everyone on 2018’s in December or placed an order before the recent model-wide price increase for 2019’s that is now in effect. Alas, even though only a short time ago, those incentives were relatively insignificant to me in light of my timeline and the overall goals I had for purchasing this car. And, FWIW, I did contact (or attempt to anyway) a Forum dealer before making a final decision but never heard back from them…very telling in my eyes.

I don’t have a bottomless barrel of cash and money is always a consideration when making non-essential purchases such as this but for me, it’s about 1 of 5 items I considered when embarking upon this experience, and not even the top one. We began budgeting for this 1 or 2 years ago, with a set target range for the overall cost based on which car, which trim, what was going to happen with the car and a few other factors that are important to *me*. I wouldn’t expect anyone else to share those particular views, many times things I do make no sense whatsoever to those on the outside looking in. But at the same time I would hope that no one would cast aspersions on my process and my needs without even the slightest glimpse into the actual facts of the matter. I will freely admit that my choice of words regarding “Pitting one dealer against another” was, in retrospect, a bit disingenuous on my part and not indicative of my true intentions when typing that phrase…Mea culpa on that one. It was more of an attempt to illustrate my preference for not over-complicating the process.

As you yourself mentioned in a recent thread “…I expect first rate treatment and service from any automobile or truck dealership I deal with“ an attribute that *is* important to me. The cultivation of this relationship is most telling (in my experience) during the initial contact and negotiation of any prospective deal, when the framework for future interaction is first set and expectations vs. actual performance indicators first become apparent. I’ve been going back and forth with my purchasing dealer for a few months now, getting a feel for how things would proceed when (or if) I did submit an order through them. The result of those early interactions was confirmation of my hopes that the dealer (and salesfolk) shared not only my need for acceptable pricing, but also shared some of my interests and requirements for keeping this a fun, complimentary and satisfactory process from the moment the car was ordered to the moment I pick it up at Esoteric when that part is complete. It’s more than just buying a car for me, it’s an adventure, a process and hopefully just an overall good time that I’ll look back on and smile when I remember it; quality people are a big part of that and I’ve certainly been dealing with quality people so far. That the final price falls within a very, very small +/- margin of error vs. generally accepted forum pricing is just a bonus.

If it was all about the Benjamin’s I woulda gone with a no-option 1LT-level coupe and that approach would likely be denigrated by some as well. People are different, variety is the spice of life and when I put my head on the pillow each night and smile, it’s pretty good confirmation that my course of action, however puzzling it might seem to others, was indeed the proper course of action for me.

I despise green peas, things make me wanna puke; other folks eat 'em up like candy and can't wait to get their spoon back in the bowl for a second helping. Personally, I don't get it as peas are peas and I'm tasting the same little green orbs they are. One guy pukes, the other guy asks for more; same item, different reactions...people are different, such is life.
fisher3 (01-26-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 09:24 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Congratulations on your new C7 and finding a good home for your C5.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
bigsapper (01-25-2019), BudgetPlan1 (01-25-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:50 PM
SLOWRYDE
Burning Brakes

Received 362 Likes on 254 Posts

Congratulations on your new C7 purchase. I hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoy wordsmithing.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 AM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Thanks...I do have somewhat of a tendency to rattle on, eh? The little voices in my head sometimes (ok...usually) forget that whole "less is more" thing.

Originally Posted by SLOWRYDE
Congratulations on your new C7 purchase. I hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoy wordsmithing.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:04 AM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,075 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1
Thanks...I do have somewhat of a tendency to rattle on, eh? The little voices in my head sometimes (ok...usually) forget that whole "less is more" thing.
I actually see nothing creepy about a wabbit going to split some wood?!!
By the way, welcome from a newbee with a new '19 G.S - 2 L.T
Rich K ( Vette Ski )

Last edited by Vette Ski; 01-26-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,499 Likes on 817 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Congrats!

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 C7 - The adventure begins...

Old 01-26-2019, 12:19 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
Rich K ( Vette Ski )
Thanks! Looked really, really hard at GS too, the looks of it are just incredibly cool. Wife kinda felt more comfortable in the standard coupe...4" narrower w not much of a spoiler on back felt better to her and since she'll be driving it 99% of the time, my need for max-aggressive looks took a backseat.

Love the look though...

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Congrats!
Thanks
Old 01-26-2019, 01:00 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Rich K ( Vette Ski )
Old 01-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Thanks! Looked really, really hard at GS too, the looks of it are just incredibly cool. Wife kinda felt more comfortable in the standard coupe...4" narrower w not much of a spoiler on back felt better to her and since she'll be driving it 99% of the time, my need for max-aggressive looks took a backseat.

Love the look though...

Thanks

This was my wife's '95 "Miata " "M" I just sold to make room for the 'Vette. The picture you took is "MY" car <

Quick Reply: 2019 C7 - The adventure begins...