Sponsored by:

Continental Extreme Contact Sport vs Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:16 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Think ill spend the extra money and go for the OEM Michelins. I don't want to deal with the nuisance of an air compressor and patch kit.
A cheap $25 air compressor is good to carry even if you have runflat tires. If you don't have to, it's much better to never drive on a runflat with no pressure. The vast majority of flats are caused by slow leaks from a nail, screw, etc. That small compressor will let you keep the tire pumped up till you get it to a repair facility.
The following 2 users liked this post by Walt White Coupe:
fsvoboda (01-09-2020), Gearhead Jim (07-27-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 03:28 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Another vote for the Michelin A/S 3+ run flats..... ordered mine for our GS from TireRack in September for about $1383.00 They are more quiet than the OEM Michelin's and I can use them all year. Less expensive than buying another set of OEM tires too.
The following users liked this post:
GeoGS (01-04-2020)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:31 PM
Pit Now
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Continental Extreme Contact Sport vs Michelin OEM

For those on the bubble or considering a different brand tire I highly recommend the Continental Extreme Contact Sport for C7. I just had them installed on my 17 GS and glad I did.The road noise is now 40 percent less than the Michelins and at higher speeds the car does not wander or follow any grooves that might be in the road.Quick turns are just as responsive. The day I had them installed it was raining heavy and traction was much better both on regular roads and the highway.Several pounds lighter as well. If you primarily track your car in the dry then the Michelins are the way to go. Yes the Continental's are not run craps but I keep a light weight compact compressor etc in the car just in case.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for the suggestion. I will be looking for a set of tires for an extra set of wheels soon so I will give the Continentals a look.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Dewayne'sZ06
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I also run the Continental Extreme Contact on my Z06 for the last 2 years and love them. I carry a small compressor and plug kit also but have not had to use them yet thankfully.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:15 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,216 Likes on 3,459 Posts

Thanks for the note. Btw, how did you quantify the "road noise" ("road noise is now 40 percent less"), with what instrumentation, at what speeds?

(also, I've had non-runflats on my C5 for over 18 years without issue. I, too, carry a compressor and plug-kit in it, as well as in my C7)

Last edited by Avanti; 07-26-2019 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:57 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Think ill spend the extra money and go for the OEM Michelins. I don't want to deal with the nuisance of an air compressor and patch kit.
Something many people don’t seem to think about. Carrying the small compressor and plug kit could you out of a jam with your runflats just as well as your non run flats.
Dont ask me, just think about that. 😀
Old 01-04-2020, 03:39 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Pit Now
For those on the bubble or considering a different brand tire I highly recommend the Continental Extreme Contact Sport for C7. I just had them installed on my 17 GS and glad I did.The road noise is now 40 percent less than the Michelins and at higher speeds the car does not wander or follow any grooves that might be in the road.Quick turns are just as responsive. The day I had them installed it was raining heavy and traction was much better both on regular roads and the highway.Several pounds lighter as well. If you primarily track your car in the dry then the Michelins are the way to go. Yes the Continental's are not run craps but I keep a light weight compact compressor etc in the car just in case.
17 GS here also. About to buy the Extreme Contract Sports. 2 concerns are that they are said to look narrower, and not as performance oriented as the MPSS's. I only drive street but like to take corners at about 0.85G's. You still like yours?
Old 01-04-2020, 08:58 AM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

If you dont plan on doing track track they will work great. I had them on my 350z dedicated track car and the fall off is real quick once you heated them up. But, the wet weather traction is great!

I would recommend them for the road not track.

Originally Posted by IAIA
17 GS here also. About to buy the Extreme Contract Sports. 2 concerns are that they are said to look narrower, and not as performance oriented as the MPSS's. I only drive street but like to take corners at about 0.85G's. You still like yours?
Old 01-04-2020, 09:37 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Run flats for me. No guarantee that compressor and slime will do the trick.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I agree. Plugging a rear tire alongside the road might be near impossible. Laying down along the side of the road to reach a hole in a rear tire especially at night doesn't sound like the safest thing to be doing. Have never ran into a problem with a punctured run flat that needed a tire plug to get me home. If it can be driven with a 1 inch hole in the sidewall it can be driven with any hole that appears in the tread area including the ones that aren't pluggable due to shape or size.

If the tire isn't repairable or not worth repairing due to wear you can drive it a lot further than the 50 mile limit that limits repair. Stuck in the middle of a desert in the western US keep driving and get to civilization, if a tire shop can't get a replacement tire keep driving until you get home.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-04-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Monkey D. Luffy (01-09-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 01:42 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I'll make this short and sweet. I have had 5 flats on my ZP tires. Only twice would I have been able to patch them on the road. It would have been flatbed city for me three times from out in the middle of nowhere usa.
Drove right along until I could get a fix. Once they just put a temp on the car to get me down and home 250 miles. Once I drove 87 miles on one and it was plugged and patched with no damage to the tire for driving that far. However I only drove at 55 mph.
I guess if you stay around town, etc. non runflats would be OK. I think that fits the bill for a lot of forum members.
Monkey D. Luffy (01-09-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

How do some guys pull it off with vettes with no run flats? What happens if you get a nail?
All we do is not worry about it... take the risk
Old 01-04-2020, 04:50 PM
KLG
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I agree. Plugging a rear tire alongside the road might be near impossible. Laying down along the side of the road to reach a hole in a rear tire especially at night doesn't sound like the safest thing to be doing. Have never ran into a problem with a punctured run flat that needed a tire plug to get me home. If it can be driven with a 1 inch hole in the sidewall it can be driven with any hole that appears in the tread area including the ones that aren't pluggable due to shape or size.

If the tire isn't repairable or not worth repairing due to wear you can drive it a lot further than the 50 mile limit that limits repair. Stuck in the middle of a desert in the western US keep driving and get to civilization, if a tire shop can't get a replacement tire keep driving until you get home.

Bill
Originally Posted by Corgidog1
Definitely agree with keeping run-flat tires, especially on vehicles not designed to carry a spare. I’ve had no issues with the performance of run-flats and if I ever get a flat, at least I have a chance to make it home.

I have the GY Eagle F1 run-flats on my Camaro SS and MPSS ZP’s on my Z06 (I replaced the Cup 2 ZP’s soon after I got the car).

However, several years ago, I put together a flat tire repair kit consisting of a compact tire inflator, leak sealant, tire plugging kit, valve stem tool, small leatherman, small flashlight, gloves, etc. Doesn’t take up much space and I usually carry it in the car I happen to be driving at the time. Never needed it. Carryover from when I had a GT500 that did not have a spare and did not have run-flats.

--KLG--
Old 01-06-2020, 02:33 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by franknbeans
If you dont plan on doing track track they will work great. I had them on my 350z dedicated track car and the fall off is real quick once you heated them up. But, the wet weather traction is great!

I would recommend them for the road not track.
Even though I don't track the car, in the summertime in SoCal, the pavement is pretty hot...so wondering whether spirited driving on hot pavement in the summer for a length of time would similarly heat up the Conti's, and whether they would then suffer fall off.
Olnavy (06-24-2021)
Old 01-08-2020, 03:16 PM
VetteHunter79
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 39 Posts

The continentals come with 3 years free roadside assistance and that’s from continental. 24/7 flat tire roadside assistance and towing up to 150 miles. I’m pricing and comparing tires right now and found this out today from 2 dealerships.

Last edited by VetteHunter79; 01-08-2020 at 03:17 PM.
USCG (01-09-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 04:42 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
Even though I don't track the car, in the summertime in SoCal, the pavement is pretty hot...so wondering whether spirited driving on hot pavement in the summer for a length of time would similarly heat up the Conti's, and whether they would then suffer fall off.
I would think that driving fast enough on the street to have falloff would be nearly impossible.
IAIA (01-09-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Continental Extreme Contact Sport vs Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP

Old 01-09-2020, 02:15 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Got the Extreme Contact Sports yesterday. Marked difference in the comfort, noise, ride quality, and lack of tramlining, so I'm happy. But I recognize that the change from a worn tire to a new tire also accounts for those differences, run-flats or not. Still, I think the reduced stiffness in the sidewall makes part of that difference. Just happy that I'm not wrestling with the car anymore--no longer jumpy, and tracks straight even when going over the splits in the highway pavement. As I like to say, "there's nothing like fresh oil and new tires."
Old 03-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Dennis Bernal
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 109 Posts

Happy you are happy with the Contis.

One thing no one brings up is that the OEM ZP tire was developed by a joint engineering team between GM and Michelin.
They actually used the ZP stiff sidewalls into consideration when tuning the suspension.
That is why the outer side wall and inner sidewall on the MPSS ZPs have different thicknesses. I think the outside is 3mm thicker.
There are some really cool YouTube videos of back when Chevy was announcing the C7 and the head engineers of different departments goes over what they did to get the car to handle the way it does.
Tires were a part of the equation. (Full disclosure I am an engineer, a product design engineer at that, so I put a lot of weight on the words that fellow engineers say about products they design)
I know there are constraints that engineers need to fit into as well due to contracts, etc... made by people above them pushing and pulling corporate levers, combined with marketing. (I deal with this daily)
Still... think I will be sticking with OEM tires. I also daily my car year round (my only car) in New England so I have a second set of rims/tires for late fall/winter/early spring. I plan to leave my car dead stock and drive it well over 100K miles before looking into something else. Most likely another vette.

Dive safe out there!
solteroblues (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 09:44 AM
solteroblues
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

Also a design engineer here... and I second Dennis's thoughts. When we design something, we always design around a certain product. Yes, there may be other products that might would work, but sometimes we only find 1 or we maximize other specs based on that one specific product. Now, with that said, my car came with the A/S run flat Michellins, and I think they are fantastic, but I wouldn't track without the original OEM tires because they provide the maximum level of performance with how the car was designed.
Dennis Bernal (03-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Continental Extreme Contact Sport vs Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP