C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doe anyone have a list of rules and keywords for voice navigation?

Old 01-26-2019, 08:04 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,098 Likes on 3,357 Posts
Default Does anyone have a list of rules and keywords for voice navigation?

Does anyone have a list of what navigation voice commands can be used and when they can be used?

Some examples:

I’m in Pasadena and want to go to the Rose Bowl. The system doesn’t understand me if I tell it the POI is the Rose Bowl. I have to say Sports Complexes first and then it lists all of the available sports complexes, one of which is “Rose Bowl”.
There is a “Spell Name” option in the POI categories that will let me type “Rose Bowl” and it will present a list of items containing “Rose Bowl”. But if I say “Spell Name” when prompted the system doesn’t recognize that (it gives me a list of options of what it thinks I might have said). Is there a verbal “Spell Name” option?

I was trying to get directions to Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento. The system didn’t recognize “Sleep Train Arena” as a POI and kept offering me different POIs. Saying “Sports and Entertainment” lists everything under that category but you have to scroll through several screens and the limit is 100 POIs so it was never found. Saying “Sports Complexes” brings up the list of POIs that included “Sleep Train Arena”.

I was traveling from Santa Cruz to Sacramento. I wanted to use Interstate 205 instead of the route it gave me so I was going to enter it as a waypoint. However the system couldn’t find Interstate 205 or highway 205. It could find Hwy 5. I used Google Maps to direct me to Interstate 205. When I was on Interstate 205 the system showed it as “I-205”. Sure enough, when I got home I searched for “I-205” and it found it.

Just wondering if anyone has already compiled a list of navigation voice command rules, keywords, and syntaxes. I'm aware of the Infotainment Hierarchy in the Stickies but it doesn't have the details the system wants. I called GM Infotainment but they said a list didn't exist.

Thanks

Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-28-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

You can google "MyLink voice commands" which will get you into many GM forums for advice.

If you do get a chance to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto, you will not have these issues because Siri (or Google) can pass your commands (any of them) to Google search and you will get excellent results at the top of the page. One more click with your thumb to map to it.

GM should just give up trying to improve voice recognition when Siri and Google is so good
Old 01-27-2019, 10:28 AM
Sixgun95
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 124 Posts

Agreed!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by LarryFL
You can google "MyLink voice commands" which will get you into many GM forums for advice.

If you do get a chance to use Apple Carplay or Android Auto, you will not have these issues because Siri (or Google) can pass your commands (any of them) to Google search and you will get excellent results at the top of the page. One more click with your thumb to map to it.

GM should just give up trying to improve voice recognition when Siri and Google is so good
Oh I dunno...

VR in my '14 was so-so and would frequently screw up. However, in my new '19, it has worked flawlessly (so far)
Old 01-27-2019, 10:47 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Unfortunately, I have a 2015 so Android Auto or Car Play isn't an option.

Googling doesn't help much. There is an older list but it doesn't include the navigation commands. I found several people asking for the same information without answers.

I suspect all of the POI sub-categories are valid keywords. It would be nice to find a list of all of the different sub-categories.

What would be really nice is something analogous to "Spell Name" so I could input the POI directly by voice. Or perhaps a way to list all of the categories and then sub-categories by voice.

There have been a lot of comments that the voice recognition system couldn't understand them. I used to think this also. I think the problem is actually that the VR system has a very limited vocabulary. The system rarely has a problem recognizing my input if I'm using keywords it knows as long as I'm saying them at the right point in the conversation.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-27-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:31 PM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

IMO the biggest disappointment in the C7 is the voice interface.
I was spoiled by the ease with I could use the Sync system on my '11 Mustang GT. "Sally" really "got" me, and we got along great. After that experience, I expected that a system six years newer would be a real step up... NOT!!! I ended up in an arranged marriage with Nancy, the Navigation Nazzi... She's a moron!! Specifically -
  • After more than a dozen attempts, I gave up entering my home address via voice. No matter the speed, inflection or voice volume I used, Nancy failed this very simple task. As a blood pressure reducing solution, I entered my address MANUALLY. I swear I could hear Nancy snickering behind the Infotainment screen.
  • Repeated attempts at various address entries have met with responses that DO NOT match my request. She gets less than half right the first go around, and about a quarter end up being entered manually.
  • If I want to play all my music, there is no "PLAY ALL" command. The only solution I've found is to use the touch screen to set it up.
  • I have learned to trust Apple Car Play, Waze and Google Maps far more than the stock Nav system... Nancy has led me on some interesting goose chases that added time and mileage to my trip. What a biitch!

Last edited by jimmbbo; 01-27-2019 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
IMO the biggest disappointment in the C7 is the voice interface.
I was spoiled by the ease with I could use the Sync system on my '11 Mustang GT. "Sally" really "got" me, and we got along great. After that experience, I expected that a system six years newer would be a real step up... NOT!!! I ended up in an arranged marriage with Nancy, the Navigation Nazzi... She's a moron!! Specifically -
  • After more than a dozen attempts, I gave up entering my home address via voice. No matter the speed, inflection or voice volume I used, Nancy failed this very simple task. As a blood pressure reducing solution, I entered my address MANUALLY. I swear I could hear Nancy snickering behind the Infotainment screen.
  • Repeated attempts at various address entries have met with responses that DO NOT match my request. She gets less than half right the first go around, and about a quarter end up being entered manually.
  • If I want to play all my music, there is no "PLAY ALL" command. The only solution I've found is to use the touch screen to set it up.
  • I have learned to trust Apple Car Play, Waze and Google Maps far more than the stock Nav system... Nancy has led me on some interesting goose chases that added time and mileage to my trip. What a biitch!
Jimbo, I too am used to dealing with the SYNC lady. And the "Play All" command is the one I miss the most on the GM system. Stupid, stupid Nancy..........

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 01-27-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:36 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 558 Likes on 361 Posts

I made the attached list from the manual.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Voice Commands.pdf (64.8 KB, 134 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Grand Slam:
jimmbbo (01-27-2019), jimtreber (01-29-2019), Rebel Yell (01-28-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Grand Slam
I made the attached list from the manual.
Seems to be missing some commands.

For example, I regularly use "Point of Interest" and it always works for me

Last edited by KenHorse; 01-27-2019 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,187 Likes on 13,911 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for all the info in this thread. Sometimes it can be frustrating getting the system to work right.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:58 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KenHorse
Seems to be missing some commands.

For example, I regularly use "Point of Interest" and it always works for me
That is the problem. The manual is terribly incomplete when it comes to POI voice commands. It needs an appendix that contains all of the allowable keywords and when they can be used.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:40 AM
jimmbbo
Melting Slicks

Received 950 Likes on 609 Posts

Came across this link at GM Authority for some more commands
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/12/...ull-ever-need/
Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jimmbbo
Came across this link at GM Authority for some more commands
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2011/12/...ull-ever-need/
The title "Here Are The Chevy MyLink Voice Commands You’ll Ever Need" may have been correct in 2011 when it was published but it is outdated now. Notice that there is not one navigation command.
But thanks for trying.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

I never tried, but does the system have a "What can I say" command like Ford's SYNC?
Old 01-28-2019, 12:58 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
I never tried, but does the system have a "What can I say" command like Ford's SYNC?
Something like that is what I'm looking for. I've tried "Search All" (available by keyboard in the 2014) and "Spell Name" (available by keyboard in the 2015). Neither of them worked. "Help" doesn't do it either. Nor does "List All"

Last edited by RKCRLR; 01-28-2019 at 01:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (01-28-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Something like that is what I'm looking for. I've tried "Search All" (available by keyboard in the 2014) and "Spell Name" (available by keyboard in the 2015). Neither of them worked. "Help" doesn't do it either. Nor does "List All"
Well dang, as usual it seems the MyLink system has a ways to go.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:18 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Unfortunately, I have a 2015 so Android Auto or Car Play isn't an option.
It IS an option - just an expensive one!

Get notified of new replies

To Doe anyone have a list of rules and keywords for voice navigation?

Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by defaria
It IS an option - just an expensive one!
Yes, I've been watching those threads. I just can't justify spending $1K for the reprogrammed GM modules or ~$500 for a wireless NavTool installation.

Also, I can see it now. My touchscreen stops working. I have GMEPP coverage until 2024. I bring it in for service and am told my Infotainment warranty is voided because I've installed reprogrammed modules that are not authorized by GM.

What I'm hoping for is some sort of aftermarket system in the future. One that could do the following:
1) Allow all apps to be controlled by and displayed on the touchscreen (not just AA/Car Play authorized apps). Things like my radar detector app, etc.
2) Allow more customization of the of the DIC and and what is displayed in the HUD (including updates that GM doesn't make available for the older cars).
3) Interface with the wifi module built into the car to allow 2 way communication (wireless Android Auto/Car Play, send destinations from Google to the built-in navigation, etc.)
4 Allow more customization of the system (roll down the windows 3" when I open the hatch and roll them back up when I close it, allow me to turn off the motion detection when the system detects another key in the car, etc.)
I'm sure there is a lot more that I or someone else could think of.

But I probably wouldn't do anything until my GMEPP expires (assuming I still have the car).
Old 01-28-2019, 02:19 PM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Yes, I've been watching those threads. I just can't justify spending $1K for the reprogrammed GM modules or ~$500 for a wireless NavTool installation.

Also, I can see it now. My touchscreen stops working. I have GMEPP coverage until 2024. I bring it in for service and am told my Infotainment warranty is voided because I've installed reprogrammed modules that are not authorized by GM.
I once asked a guitarist that had a relatively rare guitar that he had modified why he changed it knowing that it would lose value. He said, "If I was buying the guitar for collector purposes I'd just hang it on the wall. But I play the then do I make it so that it's useful". Same with my car. Then again I don't have any GMEPP on my car as I view that as a waste of money.

What I'm hoping for is some sort of aftermarket system in the future. One that could do the following:
Wouldn't any aftermarket system viod your warantee?

1) Allow all apps to be controlled by and displayed on the touchscreen (not just AA/Car Play authorized apps). Things like my radar detector app, etc.
Probably would never happen as for saftey's sake, such operations are limited. Doesn't stop people from posting to YouTube how to play YouTube videos on your car's big screen while you're driving... Would like to have my radar app in AA though...

2) Allow more customization of the of the DIC and and what is displayed in the HUD (including updates that GM doesn't make available for the older cars).
Another thing that won't happen. As I understand it, AA has all the code to display turn by turn in the HUD. It's just that GM doesn't tell AA that it can do that.

3) Interface with the wifi module built into the car to allow 2 way communication (wireless Android Auto/Car Play, send destinations from Google to the built-in navigation, etc.)
AA Wireless does work. Just doesn't work on the C7's because they lack the hardware. Why you would want to send good directions to the built-in navigation when the not-built-in navigation is a lot better is beyond me...

4 Allow more customization of the system (roll down the windows 3" when I open the hatch and roll them back up when I close it
The fix for that is also in the 2016 C7's so there's no need.

allow me to turn off the motion detection when the system detects another key in the car, etc.)
I'm sure there is a lot more that I or someone else could think of.
There's a button for that...

Last edited by defaria; 01-28-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:05 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by defaria
I once asked a guitarist that had a relatively rare guitar that he had modified why he changed it knowing that it would lose value. He said, "If I was buying the guitar for collector purposes I'd just hang it on the wall. But I play the then do I make it so that it's useful". Same with my car. Then again I don't have any GMEPP on my car as I view that as a waste of money.
Normally I would agree with you about the warranty. But I wound up with one due to circumstances and I'm not going to wast it.

Wouldn't any aftermarket system viod your warantee?
Possibly, although Navtool could easily be disconnected. But I probably wouldn't do anything until my warranty expires anyway.

Probably would never happen as for saftey's sake, such operations are limited. Doesn't stop people from posting to YouTube how to play YouTube videos on your car's big screen while you're driving... Would like to have my radar app in AA though...
Navtool already mirrors the phone. You just can't control the apps using the car's touchscreen (have to use the phone).

Another thing that won't happen. As I understand it, AA has all the code to display turn by turn in the HUD. It's just that GM doesn't tell AA that it can do that.
My point exactly. I'm looking for a non GM solution that isn't constrained by this.

AA Wireless does work. Just doesn't work on the C7's because they lack the hardware. Why you would want to send good directions to the built-in navigation when the not-built-in navigation is a lot better is beyond me...
My point again. I think the hardware is there (the WiFi module - but this definitely my area of expertise). One advantage of the built in system is not having to plan (or know) ahead of time if you are going to be in an area of no cell service (although Google Maps is getting better at this).

The fix for that is also in the 2016 C7's so there's no need.
There is a need if you don't have a 2016 and don't want to but a new car.

There's a button for that...
Yes, and I use the button when I remember. But you have to either disable the auto lock system or remember to use the button every time you turn off the car, and if you forget it takes a while to get back to the point where you can disable it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Doe anyone have a list of rules and keywords for voice navigation?