Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying out of state

Old 01-26-2019, 09:17 PM
AnalogKid
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying out of state

For those of you that have purchased out of state and had your cars shipped, can you share your experience and possibly costs?
Old 01-26-2019, 09:21 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,400 Likes on 1,365 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I purchased out of state but ordered what I wanted and didn't take it from dealer inventory.

In my case, I did a courtesy delivery through a local dealer
Old 01-26-2019, 09:27 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

shipping cost is going to depend on distance and whether you want open or enclosed shipping.

if you are financing then the dealership will need to charge you taxes and fees based on your registration address/location.
if you are paying cash then they can let you register the vehicle and pay taxes locally on your own.

every dealer is going to have a Doc Fee of which will vary with the state setting the maximum amount. if you don't want to pay it then you will need to try to negotiate it out of the sales price.
every dealer is going to have inventory tax (usually very small fee) that they pass to the customer, once again, you will have to negotiate it out of the sales price.

otherwise, pick your car, negotiate your price, move on with life.
The following users liked this post:
PHILLIP YOUNG (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 10:18 PM
SouthOCBoy
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 99 Posts

I ordered from Mike Furman at Criswell. Piece of cake. I highly recommend him. Mike will explain everything and is excellent at returning messages. But basically, if you order a car you can have it shipped direct from the factory to your local dealer. It's called a courtesy delivery and takes about eight weeks depending if the dealer has any allocations left. That's the good thing about Mike; he usually has plenty. The courtesy dealer will charge you anywhere from $300-$600. It is a very easy process. Even with the courtesy delivery fee, I saved about $4000 ordering from Mike rather than my local dealers here in California. If you purchase a vehicle that the dealer has on the lot then it will have to be shipped to you. Your dealer and these guys on the forum can recommend a transportation company but I believe it's about a $1 a mile. Also, you may have to deal with smog inspection depending on your state. California is notorious about being a PITA when it comes to smog testing cars. Finally, there is the museum delivery which I've heard nothing but good things about.

Last edited by SouthOCBoy; 01-26-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Rebel Yell (01-27-2019)
Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

I would not hesitate to do it again. If the numbers work better than a local deal I say go for it. I would highly recommend enclosed transport only.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:49 PM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 556 Posts

I also bought brand new from Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet. His price by far was much cheaper then any local dealer near or around the surrounding areas of my house. I ordered a brand new 2019 Z from Mike in Maryland and had it enclosed trailered to my detailers shop in Glenview Il by Plycar for $1200.00 [ to get the entire car wrapped in PPF ]. Like has been mentioned already, you could try and set up a courtesy delivery somewhere around your area for a fee between $300-$600 is a good guess. Every place is different though, I'm sure it depends a lot on the distance and the dealer. Some dealers don't do it so you have to look around or maybe Mike could help you out. Even with the transport fee and the best possible deal I could find around or near my house, I still saved at least $5,000 doing it this way. Mike is a stand up guy and a straight shooter. I definitely give him a call and out weigh your options with him. All the big top corvette vendors are really good and have very competitive pricing too, can't go wrong with any of them. Just telling you my experience with Mike and if I had to do it all over again I'd call him back in a heart beat good luck ,]. Just takes a little time and patience and a lot of comparing dealer to dealers. I also forgot to mention I didn't feel comfortable having the car shipped to a courteous dealer to perform the PDI. I just felt more comfortable with Criswell doing it , because of how many corvettes they do. He gets like 3 truck loads every week so I think his guys know the car in and out. I don't think these other dealers would be nearly as familiar or experienced with the car due to so small of allocations. Especially installing the splitter, spoiler and rockers, checking the oil the right way, jacking up the car no pucks etc. That's just me though

Last edited by mdolandese; 01-27-2019 at 12:25 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mdolandese:
AnalogKid (01-27-2019), Mike Campbell (02-04-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I’ve purchased my last 2 trucks and my Corvette from across the country. Never had an issue at all. Just paid for transportation to my door. The easiest way to buy a vehicle IMO.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:07 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,448 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

As some above, I bought from Criswell, though being my first out of state buy, I chose to rent a car for $109, drive out from Chicago, and drive the car home. Now that I know how straight forward they do business and how easy I would just ship it. As for taxes and registration it is handled by most states through an online database and Criswell handled it all very simply. My registration/title showed up a few weeks later. Dont be afraid to buy out of state. In my case I saved $4k over the next best dealer in MN. In my area the car would have been about $7k more, and they didnt have the car I wanted exactly.

Last edited by gliot1; 01-27-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

How is your trade in handled? I never seem to read anything about that. That is my main concern. Thanks.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,604 Likes on 6,617 Posts

Originally Posted by AnalogKid
For those of you that have purchased out of state and had your cars shipped, can you share your experience and possibly costs?
Bought my last 3 Vettes from out of state. Two from Kerbeck- great folks. They handle all paperwork, paying SC sales tax etc.

My last experience buying my 2017 Grand Sport was great. I've ordered all 5 of Vettes I have purchased built for me in Bowling Green. I get exactly what I want, colors, wheels, standard shift etc etc. Sure with Kerbeck that will take over a month but IMO worth it! In the case of the Grand Sport I got the same discounts they offered for cars in stock. No hassle or discussion of price, what you see on their website for cars in stock is what you pay! No hidden extras. Since they are the largest Corvette dealer, selling over 1000/year they are ordering every week so no waiting for accumulating orders or their allocation etc. In fact because they order so many even though some items might be on constraint, like my Machined Faced Aluminum wheels of Sage 2 Aero, which might have been constrained to say 25% of the orders in any week, they buy enough to get them no waiting.

This time, instead of driving my car home 500 miles from NJ (which I have done) I found a dealer 30 miles from home who accepted Courtesy Delivery for a flat $250 NO extras. Great folks. Ordered the car from Kerbeck in 10 minutes on the phone (knew exactly what I wanted.) When the car was ready to ship paid them the full amount and they handled all paperwork, even getting a Temporary SC plate. In SC we only had a $300 max sales tax (it's now $500) BUT we have to pay a personal Property Tax each year to get an annual sticker. I had to pay that myself to get my permanent license plate. However the Courtesy Deliver dealer was surprised they did not have to go to the SCDMV office for anything.

Just a note, that dealer Service Manager and C7 tech were happy to talk about and service the Grand Sport. They got paid by GM for the inspection and prep and also to install my Stage 2 Aero option full side skirts and CF splutter.

I would not buy any other way. I'll buy my C8 the same way!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:03 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by joemessman
How is your trade in handled? I never seem to read anything about that. That is my main concern. Thanks.

I've sold all 4 of my Vette's on my own. I had the local dealer quote what he would offer just for my 2014 Z51 as a used car. They checked it out, drove it, as it was in great condition and did their best (since I bought the wife's BMW from that dealer and same salesman.) However they were straight forward and the best they could do was significantly lower than what I got on my own. With a standard shift they would NOT try to sell it in their used car lot it would be wholesaled!

I suspect most of the forum dealers will wholesale trade-ins so you will not get top dollar for a car in great condition. The local dealer did provide a higher trade-in price IF I bought the new Vette from them but admitted they were just discounting the new car! Overall ~$5000 more than what I got from Kerbeck and selling on my own.

Last edited by JerryU; 01-27-2019 at 09:12 AM.
joemessman (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 09:15 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Drive it did you buy it to look at!
Old 01-27-2019, 09:55 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

I always sell outright. You get more out of it and you know exactly what your paying for the new one.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fake
Drive it did you buy it to look at!
Since your post followed mine referring to having a 3 1/2 year old C7 I sold in great condition. Lived in CT before we moved to SC 35 years ago. Couldn't keep any car in "Great Condition" in CT although a bit better than where we moved there from NE OH!

In Eastern SC it's not hard! At 76 still hit redline in 3rd gear several times a week on a 3/4 mile road past farm fields near my home with no houses or traffic! Also hit 1+ "g" lateral acceleration around the fountain at the end of my street! Car is still in "Great Shape!"

Last edited by JerryU; 01-27-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:35 AM
mdolandese
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Since your post followed mine referring to having a 3 1/2 year old C7 I sold in great condition. Lived in CT before we moved to SC 35 years ago. Couldn't keep any car in "Great Condition" in CT although a bit better than where we moved there from NE OH!

In Eastern SC it's not hard! At 76 still hit redline in 3rd gear several times a week on a 3/4 mile road past farm fields near my home with no houses or traffic! Also hit 1+ "g" lateral acceleration around the fountain at the end of my street! Car is still in "Great Shape!"
JerryU (01-27-2019)
Old 01-27-2019, 11:55 AM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,448 Likes on 755 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

They hanfled mine all online with pictures, etc.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:03 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by gliot1
They hanfled mine all online with pictures, etc.
How'd they get your old car? Did you ship it to them via the same carrier that delivered your new one? Did you have to ship your old car to them before they shipped the new one? These are the details that are never addressed. Thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying out of state

Old 01-27-2019, 01:02 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I bought my car from Criswell Chevrolet (Mike Furman) in Maryland and I live in Virginia. Piece of cake. I had to take a Lyft ride up there to get it, but she was ready, willing and able to be driven home by me that same day. I factory-ordered it in early December and it was ready for me a week ahead of when it was promised. He is very helpful about getting you the car you want at a competitive price. Give him a chance to earn your business. You will not regret it.

Their dealership essentially gave me a "temporary" paper license plate and then my regular Virginia plates were mailed to me about three weeks later. The only thing that Criswell (located in Maryland) could not do for me is the state inspection that Virginia requires. I drove it to a local shop - where I only had about 300 miles on the car by then - and let them do a state inspection. The car was new, so they basically walked around and made sure my lights worked properly. Nothin' to it.

Typically, dealerships are accustomed to out of state buyers - especially those near the edge of a state line. The biggest issue you might have is the inspection decal if your state requires it.
Old 01-27-2019, 03:53 PM
AnalogKid
5th Gear

Originally Posted by mdolandese
trailered to my detailers shop in Glenview Il by Plycar for $1200.00 [ to get the entire car wrapped in PPF ].
Thanks for the reply. This is what I am hoping to do as well. The detail shop I frequent is also in Glenview (Chicago Auto Pros)
I will reach out to Mike.

-joe
Old 01-27-2019, 03:55 PM
AnalogKid
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JK 23112
Typically, dealerships are accustomed to out of state buyers - especially those near the edge of a state line. The biggest issue you might have is the inspection decal if your state requires it.
Thanks for posting.
Luckily. Illinois does not require an inspection.

-joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying out of state