C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS owners-do you wish you had bought the Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I have a car that can be a race car if I choose, the 88 has a 398 in it with open exhaust. It is actually faster than the GS, even though it has much more problems puttin the power down.

I wanted a convertible cruiser, and years of driving the 500+ HP 398 have taught me that 460 is more than enough. I had no desire to buy a Z06 or ZR1 whatsoever and didn't give it a 2nd thought.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

I think about it every now and then; had the budget for it, but definitely no regrets. I came in with the intent to do a customer order, especially after seeing the Collector's Edition Grand Sport online when it was unveiled to the public. I didn't get a CE, but I pretty much got everything I wanted out of the Grand Sport during the ordering process. Plus, I just don't see myself using the 600+ HP that comes with it.

Now, if the Grand Sport was never released for the C7 series, my decision between the Z06 and Stingray would pose as a better question...
Old 01-30-2019, 02:20 PM
toddhale010
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carvin
I kept browser tabs open for Cars.com and Car Gurus almost all the time. I saw many Z's for sale with about 5K miles. A "Z" really was never a consideration. Then one showed up a few miles away at a high end used dealer with 30K miles
at a big discount. I had it inspected by Chevy and never looked back. The title of my 1st post in the Z section actually was "I Never Thought I'd Be Posting Here".
I'm actually doing the same thing now hoping to stumble across that killer deal on a nearly new Z but I think I'm looking for to close to new to find the deals. We will be putting plenty of miles on this car so I'd like to start the odometer as close to 0 as possible. I've found a couple of nice Z's with around 15K miles on them but the price is to close to new and their not the exact combinations we're looking for.
The following users liked this post:
Carvin (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

I had a tough time deciding between the Z and GS. Having more power is great but the practical side of my brain was focused on "usable power". Most of the time when I see a Z owner goose the throttle I watch the tires lose grip and then the nannies kick in. While this is fun at first, it starts to become a bit annoying. You have all this power but you have to go through the checklist first prior to using it. Tires warm, check, road conditions acceptable, check, pointed straight, check, distance between me and the others, check, blast off. I really think with this much torque and horsepower the car should really be AWD.

The other thing to factor in for M7 drivers are the gear ratio differences between the cars. I enjoy rowing through the gears. The gear ratios of the Z are much taller than the Z51/GS. They need to be in order to handle the additional torque. The downside for someone like me is you just can't wind out much of a gear in the Z on the street. 1st gear, even as tall as it is will just roast the tires and it takes you to 65mph if you can even hook up. 2nd gear takes you to 93mph. So, maybe a long on-ramp if you are lucky. Now, the LT1 is also too much power for the street but at least with the shorter gearing you can wind it out a bit more. With the GS and its Z06 rubber you have a better chance to hook in 1st and since it is shorter it will take you to about 44mph, 2nd gear is at 71mph and 3rd about 100mph. So, the shorter gearing in the Z51/GS offers a lot of torque and more opportunity to wind out gear a bit more if that is what you like. Some folks like to short shift into 2nd and then just point it straight, mash the pedal and take it to about 93mph. The GS is the better balanced package and why it gets such great reviews and is often to referred as the "sweet spot" in the C7 line-up. The Z06 takes it to the next level with power but IMO it exceeds the tire threshold. Considering the lightweight of the Corvette already I would have rather seen a naturally aspirated Z06 making about 550hp/tq.

So, as much as my heart said get a Z06 for the power, my brain said you will never be able to use all the power in the GS so why spend $14k more for the Z. If I was in my 20s or 30s I would be driving the Z but now approaching 50 my brain prevailed on this one. I stuck to my budget and ordered an arctic white GS convertible with M7 trans. I think I get more enjoyment putting the top down, rowing my own gears and listening to the NPP exhaust than I would exploiting the limits of tire grip.
The following 2 users liked this post by falcon5619:
Judgment Day (02-03-2019), toddhale010 (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:38 PM
toddhale010
Advanced

Thanks for all the responses. I think we've pretty much ruled out the new Z06 but we will be keeping our eyes open for a killer deal we can't pass up. We won't ever be tracking the car it will just be taking scenic road trips and pure enjoyment driving. The wife will occasionally drive it to her office and I feel better with her in the GS since she gets a little panicky at times (definition of little = completely freaks out and can't function in a bad situation). It seems to be a pretty consistent agreement that the GS drives/handles as good or better than the Z and that's ultimately what will matter for our use. We're still on the fence about convertible vs coupe and we like each for different reasons but I think that's going to come down to whichever we get the best deal on. Right this moment are favorite choices are

All of these would be GS with 2LT trim
1. Torch Red convertible with black interior, chrome wheels, Carbon flash hood stripe, CF fender stripes, and maybe CF mirrors
2. Long Beach Red with black interior, chrome wheels, CF hood stripe
3. Artic white with adrenaline red interior, chrome wheels, red calipers, CF hood stripe, and CF mirrors
4. Torch red coupe with transparent top dressed same as convertible
5. Long Beach Red coupe with transparent top dressed same as convertible
6. Artic White coupe with transparent top dressed same as convertible

Last edited by toddhale010; 01-30-2019 at 02:53 PM. Reason: added trim pkg
Old 01-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by toddhale010
Thanks for all the responses. I think we've pretty much ruled out the new Z06 but we will be keeping our eyes open for a killer deal we can't pass up. We won't ever be tracking the car it will just be taking scenic road trips and pure enjoyment driving. The wife will occasionally drive it to her office and I feel better with her in the GS since she gets a little panicky at times (definition of little = completely freaks out and can't function in a bad situation). It seems to be a pretty consistent agreement that the GS drives/handles as good or better than the Z and that's ultimately what will matter for our use. We're still on the fence about convertible vs coupe and we like each for different reasons but I think that's going to come down to whichever we get the best deal on. Right this moment are favorite choices are

1. Torch Red convertible with black interior, chrome wheels, Carbon flash hood stripe, CF fender stripes, and maybe CF mirrors
2. Long Beach Red with black interior, chrome wheels, CF hood stripe
3. Artic white with adrenaline red interior, chrome wheels, red calipers, CF hood stripe, and CF mirrors
4. Torch red coupe with transparent top dressed same as convertible
5. Long Beach Red coupe with transparent top dressed same as convertible
6. Artic White coupe with transparent top dressed same as convertible
I would take DOOR # 2, beings that you don't have my 'vette there, Black On Black, chrome wheels ,2 LT
Old 01-30-2019, 03:44 PM
toddhale010
Advanced

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
I would take DOOR # 2, beings that you don't have my 'vette there, Black On Black, chrome wheels ,2 LT
My last C5 vette was black on black with chrome. Beautiful but spent more time dusting it off than driving it.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:01 PM
KnightDriveTV
Supporting Vendor

Received 2,316 Likes on 990 Posts

The Z06 RPO was dead to me, when they put a supercharger in it. The Z06 and Grand Sport were legacy names back to the roots of Corvette and neither should have a forced induction/non track worthy trait, so for the sake of purity/driver car, it's GS now. That was NOT the case in C6, as the Z06 was a proper car. Had the C7Z really made that supercharger act as if it were N/A...I think they could've swayed me but...as the Z06 clearly showed it couldn't handle the heat generated by 650hp I realized that the Z06 RPO had lost its soul. Frankly, I wish they would've discontinued the Z06 for C7 and resurrected another RPO for the car, holding off Z06 until some aero/naturally aspirated motor could be put together.

With C7, GS is the closest they got to building the car I wanted.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:24 PM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

I get ya man, When I got in mine brand new and started it up at MacMulkin, I thought I was dreaming. It's just that cool.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:06 PM
2cnd Chance
Melting Slicks

Received 976 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by K.I.T.T.
The Z06 RPO was dead to me, when they put a supercharger in it. The Z06 and Grand Sport were legacy names back to the roots of Corvette and neither should have a forced induction/non track worthy trait, so for the sake of purity/driver car, it's GS now. That was NOT the case in C6, as the Z06 was a proper car. Had the C7Z really made that supercharger act as if it were N/A...I think they could've swayed me but...as the Z06 clearly showed it couldn't handle the heat generated by 650hp I realized that the Z06 RPO had lost its soul. Frankly, I wish they would've discontinued the Z06 for C7 and resurrected another RPO for the car, holding off Z06 until some aero/naturally aspirated motor could be put together.

With C7, GS is the closest they got to building the car I wanted.
I agree with this. If the C7 Z06 had an NA 427 it would have been my choice.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:51 PM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by devnull

and here I’m bending rims just by looking at them wrong!
A Definite Kick In The Nuts from GM..Here ya go for being Loyal
Had to get a bad Batch?
I pay strict attention were all wheels are all the time.
Sucks to drive like that.Treat it like being on the Harley I guess
The following users liked this post:
devnull (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 11:14 AM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by 2cnd Chance

I agree with this. If the C7 Z06 had an NA 427 it would have been my choice.
^^^This right here^^^ I am a fan of high revving naturally aspirated engines. C7 Z06 goes in the wrong direction for me despite the added power. After a weekend at Spring Mountain I learned that ALL of the instructors preferred the Grand Sport over the Z06 because of the improved balance when transitioning from hard braking into a corner to trail braking to the apex.

I looked at Z06s but ended up with my 2019 GS and have been very happy with it. I may consider a heads/cam/intake/exhaust package, but I am waiting to see what the C8 looks like.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:35 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

No, the GS was enough of a $$$ indulgence…….
Old 02-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Very Happy with my GS, if I had a Z06, I don't think I would be around to post.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:48 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,076 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Allpro
Very Happy with my GS, if I had a Z06, I don't think I would be around to post.
allpro,
Nah, you (we) could easily do ourselves in with a VW bug if we didn't have (use) common sense!
Rich K ( Vette Ski )
Old 02-01-2019, 07:24 PM
Dlogan
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great questions and insight. I have had my eyes on a GS since Iven been able to expense a Vette. Recently, a buddy has been influencing me to purchase the Z06 for resale and power. After talking to a mature knowledgeable sales rep, we warned me of having all that power and not being able to use it unless I was tracking and that I am not.. Thanks for helping me make a decision.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:06 PM
phil hunter
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I thought about it long and hard, before deciding on the GS. At the time I bought my GS, GM was having overheating issues with the Z06 and there were two class action lawsuits filed against them. In any event, I'm happy with my decision now.

Phil

Get notified of new replies

To GS owners-do you wish you had bought the Z06?

Old 02-01-2019, 10:54 PM
Oh4GTO
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 131 Posts

At first I did but then I quickly got over it. Remembered that I did that to stay N/A and do heads and cam. Maybe 427 if the stars align properly.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:58 AM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Ski
allpro,
Nah, you (we) could easily do ourselves in with a VW bug if we didn't have (use) common sense!
Rich K ( Vette Ski )
Rick

Last time I checked a VW bug could not hit over 180, did something change?
Old 02-02-2019, 01:44 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 309 Likes on 201 Posts

I must be the odd man out in this thread. I presently have a 17 GS coupe but just ordered a 19 Z06 convertible. My past Corvettes have all been of the higher performance versions and I enjoy that luxury. It isn't like you "have" to use the power. FWIW I am making the switch to an automatic due to double knee replacement issues. Being an older fellow has disadvantages but it also has the advantage of having learned to use power with discrimination, the skinny pedal does not have to be all the way down unless you want it there.

Quick Reply: GS owners-do you wish you had bought the Z06?