C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GS owners-do you wish you had bought the Z06?

Old 02-03-2019, 09:16 AM
DALE#3
Le Mans Master

Received 3,129 Likes on 1,828 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudz
I wish I would have bought the z06. I have a 17 GS convertible and at times it just doesn’t have power I had hoped it would.
Curious to how you are shifting your tranny.If leaving in D and simply flooring it? What is your MOD On the MRSC Dial?
Try manual shifting at 5500 rpm. and report back.
Not picky on how your driving just curious on your accuracy of power.

Old 02-03-2019, 10:27 AM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Modding a GS makes zero sense - it diminishes the value of the GS, makes it much harder to sell later and voids the warranty; and the mods (presumably adding a blower) would save you very little over just spending the additional $12k for the Z06.
I wouldn't necessarily agree with you there. A lot of people seem to have issues with the small (1.7L) supercharger on the Z06 as well as some heating issues that may or may not be there.

Throwing a procharger on the Grand Sport would be an option. And I've heard of Z06 owners removing the stock supercharger and adding a procharger, that to me, makes no sense. If you're going that route you may as well purchase a GS right?

I don't know, trying to throw some ideas around
Old 02-03-2019, 01:54 PM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

^^^^ The Z06 has forged internals and CR set up for FI, so it’s a much stronger motor for higher HP FI...LT1 was not set up for same.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:04 PM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

why would you want a sheep in wolves clothing ???? I had a 14 Z51... to start .... the the Z is so much more fun its not even close......
Old 02-03-2019, 02:40 PM
DanMan35
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
why would you want a sheep in wolves clothing ???? I had a 14 Z51... to start .... the the Z is so much more fun its not even close......
It's not necessarily that I would prefer the GS to the Z06, and in fact, I said I'm the type who wants the most HP available usually. But I am concerned with the smaller blower on the Z06 and how much power it can put out. If the small blower would have issues giving me 750rwhp then an option could be getting a GS and throwing a procharger on it. That is what I'm trying to find out here, if 750rwhp is fairly easy to attain.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:23 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by RFBHD
sheep in wolfs clothing to some. All talk, no game for others (impressive stats- can’t keep itself cool on the track)
Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Sometime I wish I had gotten the Z06, but I like NA cars and the GS is probably the perfect balance of handling, braking and power. The Z06 is a lot more likely to wrap itself around a telephone pole.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:01 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by DanMan35
It's not necessarily that I would prefer the GS to the Z06, and in fact, I said I'm the type who wants the most HP available usually. But I am concerned with the smaller blower on the Z06 and how much power it can put out. If the small blower would have issues giving me 750rwhp then an option could be getting a GS and throwing a procharger on it. That is what I'm trying to find out here, if 750rwhp is fairly easy to attain.
This doesn't make sense to me at all. If you are after high HP, Z06 is very clearly the much better choice with its engine literally bullet-proofed for high output and boost (forged internals, lower compression ratio, etc.). A similar application on LT1 would likely be on a leased life. If this is what you're after, the answer is very obvious.

FYI, many change the blower on Z06 to bigger displacement units, and it's literally a bolt-on.

Last edited by X25; 02-03-2019 at 05:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RFBHD (02-19-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,963 Likes on 2,873 Posts

If they were the same price? The Z06 would be the preferred choice between the two. It's more about money, than preferences.
The following 2 users liked this post by Skid Row Joe:
Corgidog1 (02-08-2019), dvilin (02-09-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 12:17 AM
Pzilly
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Buy the GS, if you find out later you want more HP elderbrock can take care of that and still have a warranty or A&A is a sweet unit too. I walked into a dealership last dec in Ohio ( i live in PA) for a reason, he had a black z51 stingray, a black GS and it was winter, and he threw me killer numbers on all, I mean killer, what I was not expecting was his sudden offer to me for a Watkins grey z06 w track pack and ceramic brakes and all the options, I had not even considered a Z06 especially decked out w z07 package, but a 78k price put it in play. I literally had to go take an hour and evaluate my choices and here's why i left w the Z51.

I could afford the payment on any of them, i had 43k I was putting down, so I would be leaving w a loan for roughly $7000 z51 $15500 GS or $35000 Z06. As much as my mind saw me in the z06 on the track I had to remind my self part of why I was buying this car was to throw the keys to my 69 year dad for a week here and there to see him smile, since he used to throw me the keys to his new 88 vette when I was only 17. I typically have to make several 500 mile round trips that I would like to use the car on. The GS and Z06 were manuals and the z51 was an A8,, now again I could see myself shifting gears in the M7 on the track, but reality is even though its not my DD traffic sucks, my left leg often goes numb from an accident and again my 69 year old dad could out shift anyone in his hay days but today is different, plus resale, and from light to light the A8 is quicker. Then there are tires, insurance etc. So as I said I left w the Z51 and it was the right choice for me and in the end it was easier to nix the Z06 then the GS out of my decision. Plus did I mention it was December, in ohio w a 4 hour drive back to PA and the Z06 had cup 2's on it LOL.

Lastly my wife works for corporate at manheim auto auctions, the largest in the world which owns KBB and auto trader, after she ran numbers I bought my Z51 for same price as used ones were running at auction w 5k avg miles on them. Also their speculation with the c8 coming is that the Z06 is going to end up in a rough spot for resale, while the stingrays and GS will take hit they will fall into a price point w a larger buying pool then the Z06, the Z06 is likely to end up at a point where it's still a bit out of reach for the larger buying pool, and guys that could pony up for a lightly used Z06 may just go for a base c8 to be in the new style. This of course is car speculation.

In the end I love my Z51, it turns heads, runs amazing, and handles awesome, i dont think you can make a bad C7 decision depending on your goals for it, hell my buddy has a GS M7 car and from light to light it's a toss up, if good traction my A8 usually takes him, if traction is a little sketchy and he shifts perfect his wider tires take me, and my other buddy's hellcat takes both of us, until we hit the windy roads, and that thing looks like every rental car I have ever had w bigger rims and LED head lights LOL. So I sometimes find myself wishing I had the GS larger tires, and I may someday do the Z06, but this past year was awesome I made the right choice, we all had a blast w it, plus early last summer I ran across an RV dealer who accidentally ended up w 6 of the same monster toys hauler and was liquidating the first 2 at cost, we honest to God bought a 59k RV, new for 34k and if I had bought the Z06 that probably would not have happened, and we spent 7 weeks in that thing last summer and as a bonus the vette just fits in there :-)

I think you'll be happy w either, i get it, I am same as you, bigger, badder, faster, but then again they are all pretty bad ***, and for as much as I love my Z51 your going to be ecstatic in a GS, but if money is no object and the SC motor makes ya smile maybe go that route. Sorry this got long, but I hope it helps another speed freak think it through hahaha.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:13 AM
VENOM ACR
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 114 Posts

If someone gave me the option to choose between both cars, obviously I'd take the Z06 (same price). But no, I don't wish I got a Z06. I had a budget, I got a good deal on my new GS, it's a Collector Edition, so if I want more power I'll spend $5K on a super charger and call it a day.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 AM
krwunlv
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

These threads always get the most attention simply because everyone has an opinion. However, none of that will matter the moment you get into a GS for a test drive or a Z06 for a test drive. Go to a dealer and find a couple of used ones on the lot and take them out for a ride. An everyday ride, not a day at the track ride, because that's how you are going to drive it 95% of its life. Then, make the decision on what is right for you from your experience. I will tell you, that no matter what car you get, you will always be chasing that extra gain. For 6k you can put a SC in a GS and have better reliability than some of the earlier Zs. If you get a Z, you will change it, again chasing that extra gain. Perhaps you will look at the Z and think, man I should have waited and gotten a used ZR1. Hell, sometimes I think I want a blonde vs a brunette. Perhaps the ZR1 is the redhead? :0)

For me, I wanted to Z06, then I found the perfect (for me) color combo in a GS limited edition (watkins glen grey and tension blue) and I never looked back.

All that aside, find a couple on the lot and give them a drive, either way you will always have a grin on your face when you start it up and put the accelerator down.

Good luck sir! Let us know what you decide.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:52 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,463 Likes on 1,020 Posts

FYI, earlier Zs do not have reliability issues as far as I know. If you mean overheating at the track, you can always install (retrofit) the OEM secondary radiator yourself. I'd imagine a Z06 would always be much more reliable than a supercharged GS with its much beefier bottom end, etc.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:05 PM
franknbeans
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts

I had a 2010 Camaro with 600 hp. Supercharged.

I really wanted a N/A motor but still think the GS motor should of been tweaked a bit to set it apart. I am considering getting a nice cam in it. Looking for 500whp.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:52 PM
csf64ss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default just got the GS 2017

Old 02-08-2019, 05:04 PM
csf64ss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as far as im concerned, I was happy w/my 08 base vert that we traded yesterday, but the wife said go for it ....so WE did.....it is a completely different "animal" the likes of which I have never owned nor driven before. way more horse power than i'll ever need around central florida.....BUT !...I am enjoyin all of it on selected roads......I love the car.the styling, the body, interior, its soo much more than I had before..and I thank my Wife Amie for that. now as to a super charger.....no thank you, don't have a desire for more or even the thought of havin it under the hood......charlie
Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 PM
Vette Ski
Melting Slicks

Received 1,072 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
lol. I was there for that... Z06 or not what he did was the cause. Not the power. He's my best friend. He wears that one proudly lol

You know whats fun about having a Z06? See the Lambos in those pics? We beat them with these cars. And with his Z06 being modded he put buses on them. I was surprised my CAI stock tune Z06 could beat a Huracan but to my amazement it did. Multiple times. Just pulled away from it. LT4 AND the A8 amazes me.

that's the thing that makes me happy. KNOWING you can do it having done it. Because had I owned a GS and got pulled (which it would have been a slaughter) i would have a blower on it next time and why bother? Spend the money now and be done.
Was it ever told how much damage was done to the white 'vette that lost it during the burn out? All I saw was the bent rims and blown tires ?
Rich

Get notified of new replies

To GS owners-do you wish you had bought the Z06?

Old 02-08-2019, 09:35 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Was shopping for a GS and convinced myself it was the "perfect" balance between form, function and price.

Due to a number of Divine interventions, the cars I was looking at fell through leading me to a car that had a couple of options I hadn't considered but in my price range. One of the very few options I hadn't considered happened to be the Z06 package. It was an option I didn't think was for me, but after driving it I was sold. I have read and to a degree understand the additional power is not "usable" but I bought my car as a 10-month daily driver and it fits the bill exceptionally well. The two are very different despite outward appearances, the only way to really judge is to drive both and get a personal feel for their differing personalities. I think Hertz still has an option to rent a Z06 so if you already own a GS go rent the Z for a few days then decide...

Not knocking the GS by any means but the Z06 really is a different beast. Owning a Z was not an accident but a surprise- the difference is an accident is something you didn't expect and didn't truly want. A surprise is something you didn't expect but made your day (and subsequent days) better. A year and a half later, I would opt for the Z again without hesitation and wouldn't straight up trade my '17 for a comparable new GS even if it included $10k cash in the GS's glove box.

Allen
The following users liked this post:
RFBHD (02-19-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 03:54 PM
Soonere39
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 41 Posts

15 months with my 2018 GS and still no regrets. I seriously considered getting a used Z06 instead of the new GS at the time, but I've never needed or missed any additional power.
Both are great cars. If you are concerned that 0-60 in 3.6 isn't enough, then get the Z car. You won't regret that either.

Last edited by Soonere39; 02-09-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:28 PM
Opossum
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

OH MY GOODNESS! As the proud new owner of 2019 Grand Sport 3LT convertible If I "smile" any more my danged face is gonna explode! This vehicle is a BEAST as it is. The supercharger would be nice for the track, but I'm not goin there, so the GS is PLENTY for me!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GS owners-do you wish you had bought the Z06?