Sponsored by:

Magnetic Ride - need it or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:23 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Question :Mag ride is only for suspension adjustment? Otherwise the suspension adjusts according to drive mode touring, sport etc ?
So with Magnetic ride can u adjust the suspension to comfort or sports mode irrespective of the drive mode?

without Mag Ride, there is no adjustment at all to the suspension. The mode selector only changes throttle and steering response, as well as exhaust tone, if equipped with the performance exhaust. Without Mag Ride, you either get the relatively soft base springs and shocks, or the firmer Z51 version.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JMII
This sums it up nicely. I for one recommend mag-ride too because it allows you to adjust the car to the conditions. Rough road? Switch over to Tour. Normal road? Sport. Fun time? Track. While many of the Z51 features are track focused I feel mag-ride is something every C7 should have because it is that good. Same goes for the performance exhaust. I consider these two options "must haves", but its just personal taste really.
i agree heartily! One of the best features of the Mag Ride is its ability to almost instantaneously adjust the shocks to road irregularities, allowing a much better handling suspension than could be achieved just through stiffer components. My Z06 would be an uncomfortable handful to drive on the street without the Mag Ride Suspension all three of the higher end Vettes come with standard.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:05 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Question :Mag ride is only for suspension adjustment? Otherwise the suspension adjusts according to drive mode touring, sport etc ?
So with Magnetic ride can u adjust the suspension to comfort or sports mode irrespective of the drive mode?
If you have mag ride, you can link the mode selector to the mag ride setting or you can manually override the mode selector and set it to tour, sport or track which is done in the settings screen in the infotainment system.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:36 PM
FormerBiker
Race Director

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Before you decide, look up the cost for mag ride shocks vs "standard" shocks and determine if you will keep the car long enough to need replacing them.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:53 AM
joseanMD
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockandroll
Had 2001 Vette for 16 years and 450k miles.
Bought 2017 Stingray L2 w Mag Ride and Perf Exhaust.
Comparison in ride not close.
2017 just totaled so getting 2019 Stingray L2.
Since I used the Sport setting minimally on the 2017, and would only use the Tour mode in the 2019, do I really need the Mag Ride option?
ie, is the Tour mode the default suspension on the L2 Stingray equipped without Mag ride?
If you are getting a Stingray, no, they come with teh softest shocks and suspensions that you can get (Like a caddy!). If you are getting the Z51, GS, Z06 or ZR1 package, then yes, those car are more track oriented and suspensions are stiffer, so mag ride control will help if you want the suspension stiff or smooth. However, for the base Stingray you don't need MRC.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:36 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
Go fpr 3LT interior
Why? They wanted $4000+ for a bit more leather, since the actual options are the same. (and it's not even that much better leather..lol)
Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 AM
Aramis76
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

If you get a Z51, I would get the mag ride as the Z51 non-mag suspension is stiffer all the time.

At least with mag-ride you can soften it up when you want.

If not getting a Z51, it's not as critical in my opinion.
The following users liked this post:
V Vette (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 01:59 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FormerBiker
Before you decide, look up the cost for mag ride shocks vs "standard" shocks and determine if you will keep the car long enough to need replacing them.
unless the shock is damaged, it doesn’t need periodic replacement. Shocks online are more than conventional, but less tha $450 ea.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:17 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

For those who are saying "you don't need it," did you come to that conclusion after you got it so you actually know what the differences are, or are you simply saying you are content with the ride without it at all? I got it with the car, and I also got the upgrade. The difference was noticeable and affected a lot more than just suspension, including steering, for example. Although it is a slightly different issue, there is a poll here on how people who got the upgrade felt about it and it was overwhelmingly positive. One guy even has an app that shows the differences in the ride over railroad tracks before and after the upgrade. I also noticed a clear difference driving over the terrible streets of the Seattle waterfront. Although I am comparing MSRC prior to upgrade and MSRC after upgrade, rather than non-MSRC compared to MSRC, the point is that it does make a considerable difference on a standard Stingray without Z51. Whether it is enough to prompt you to get it is an open question.
Woodson (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 04:52 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 419 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by c54u
Did you get the software update for the mag ride that was available last year? The 2019's have the new mag ride programming. My base 2017 has mag ride with the new software update and it made a big difference in the ride. The car feels more planted on the road and handles much better in my opinion. The mag ride minimizes the rear end squat on acceleration, dive on braking and lean on cornering. I drove a non mag ride base Stingray and found that it was not the ride I wanted. It felt a little too floaty to me. I recommend you take both versions out on a test drive and then make your decision.
Is there a charge for the upgrade if your under warranty?
Old 02-11-2019, 05:14 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
Yes. It's supposed to be $300, though some dealers apparently have not got the memo.
V Vette (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 05:26 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

...getting 2019 Stingray...

Since I would only use the Tour mode in the 2019, do I really need the Mag Ride option?

The answer is to your question is, no.

A base Stingray has a beautiful ride.

Mag ride is not needed on a base Stingray, it has excellent ride quality as is.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 02-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Why? They wanted $4000+ for a bit more leather, since the actual options are the same. (and it's not even that much better leather..lol)
Actually, the price includes the NAV/PDR which is about half the $4K difference. If you buy a 2LT or Z and add the NAV/PDR option you are halfway to the 3LT or Z price anyways.

Bill
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Had 2001 Vette for 16 years and 450k miles.
Bought 2017 Stingray L2 w Mag Ride and Perf Exhaust.
Comparison in ride not close.
2017 just totaled so getting 2019 Stingray L2.
Since I used the Sport setting minimally on the 2017, and would only use the Tour mode in the 2019, do I really need the Mag Ride option?
ie, is the Tour mode the default suspension on the L2 Stingray equipped without Mag ride?
From looking at the online configurator it is possible to order the MRC shocks with the standard suspension. There is more to the MRC shocks than the stiffness of the suspension they happen to be coupled to. They also provide better handling in Tour Mode when you are just running down the road on a Sunday Cruise. They aren't just for going to the track.

It has been a long time since MRC was introduced in Corvettes but sometimes it helps to see what they do to improve daily handling over what regular shocks can do.

Here is a link to the GM MRC Promotional Video for the 2003 Corvette when MRC was first introduced. The video shows the difference in how the MRC shocks control the car Vs the stock shocks. The comparison starts at 1:08 in the video.

Bill
Old 02-11-2019, 07:33 PM
c54u
Melting Slicks

Received 682 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
My car was under warranty and I paid $350.00. Car was in and out of the shop in 30 minutes.
V Vette (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 PM
NickG-Z06
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

I went from C5 to C7 Z's and I absolutely love what mag ride does for the car. Just having the adjustability is so nice. From cruising in touring, to sport to track, the car just handles amazing
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 PM
RFZ
Melting Slicks

Received 238 Likes on 119 Posts

mag ride is awesome! PERIOD!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Ride - need it or not?

Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
From looking at the online configurator it is possible to order the MRC shocks with the standard suspension. There is more to the MRC shocks than the stiffness of the suspension they happen to be coupled to. They also provide better handling in Tour Mode when you are just running down the road on a Sunday Cruise. They aren't just for going to the track.

It has been a long time since MRC was introduced in Corvettes but sometimes it helps to see what they do to improve daily handling over what regular shocks can do.

Here is a link to the GM MRC Promotional Video for the 2003 Corvette when MRC was first introduced. The video shows the difference in how the MRC shocks control the car Vs the stock shocks. The comparison starts at 1:08 in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48m1_otpD9c

Bill
I went through similar questions with my C6.. and result a wiser man than me told me to drive two back to back on same road. Aim for imperfections.

Like that video bill posted shows. Its night and day.

Do you NEED it? Nope. But do we NEED all that power? But it sure is nice for it to be there when you do. Jist like the suspension. On a smooth road who cares. Idk about you guys, but around here not many are smooth lol.

You wont regret getting the MSRC car. But if you don't and drive or ride in a MSRC car you are not going to be happy. Just my opinion but I wouldnt own a vette any generation that offered it, without MSRC. You get what you pay for (in this case)
Old 02-11-2019, 10:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
For those who are saying "you don't need it," did you come to that conclusion after you got it so you actually know what the differences are, or are you simply saying you are content with the ride without it at all? I got it with the car, and I also got the upgrade. The difference was noticeable and affected a lot more than just suspension, including steering, for example. Although it is a slightly different issue, there is a poll here on how people who got the upgrade felt about it and it was overwhelmingly positive. One guy even has an app that shows the differences in the ride over railroad tracks before and after the upgrade. I also noticed a clear difference driving over the terrible streets of the Seattle waterfront. Although I am comparing MSRC prior to upgrade and MSRC after upgrade, rather than non-MSRC compared to MSRC, the point is that it does make a considerable difference on a standard Stingray without Z51. Whether it is enough to prompt you to get it is an open question.
Ordered my C7 Z51 without MRC and was happy with the ride as I was with my C6 Z51 that did not have MRC. (Had adjustable shocks on my '93 Vette (yep know it was not MRC) but on our relatively good roads in Eastern SC only used the stiffest setting when taking my favorite 270 degree exit ramp at high "g" but if I forgot to put it back little difference in ride quality.)

Got my Grand Sport and had to drive in Touring to get a ride about what I was used to with my none MRC Z51. However the None-MRC Z51 also has the adjustable steering control, throttle control, NPP control and most important nannie threshold level control with Weather, ECO, Touring, Sport and Track Mode settings. I always drove in Sport or Track for those settings and had NO affect on my ride, it was the same in all settings.

With the Grand Sport I was stuck with the throttle control and nannie control that came with Touring! The throttle response was so slow (compared to what I was used to for 3 1/2 years) I added a Vitesse throttle controller set at 4/5 to match what I was used to in Sport/Track mode I drove in with the 2014! If I set ride control to Track it rattled my teeth even on our relatively good roads. Still was not happy with the nannie response. Did set steering to always Sport and NPP to always Track as they are options.

A year after living with the early nannie response I had the MRC upgrade for $350. Well worth it. I now drive in Sport and the ride is about where it was in my Z51 without MRC. I no longer need the Vitesse throttle controller and am happy with the nannie control, especially noticeable when I pull into 65+ mph traffic on the 4 lane divided highway at the end of my street. I do use Track when making a high "g" turn around the fountain at the end of my street! I also use Weather Mode when it's below ~45 F as I did with my non MRC Z51.

Bottom Line:
IF you have washboard roads, lots of pot holes or Track it would be worth the cost but I would not get the option living where I do if it didn't come with the Grand Sport.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-11-2019 at 10:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:21 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Base model Stingrays have an exceptionally nice ride without it, mag ride is not needed..
This. ^^^^^

...However - if you street race and road race as some do, go with MSRC. It's meant for the aggressive street & road racers...

Quick Reply: Magnetic Ride - need it or not?