Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 for teenage daughter

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 04:40 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Go ahead, spoil her rotten, it's your kid and your money.

Personally I would never buy my kids a new corvette. I wouldn't buy them a new car at all. I'd consider getting a used practical car that's cheap and easy to replace, easy to work on and which can be used in the winter season as well. If they want a corvette I might let them use my c4 occasionally. Unlike some people I never expected my parents to pay for things like that and I hope my kids adopt that attitude.
The following users liked this post:
NOMOREWORK (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 01:18 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

The C7 is too low to be a daily driver for a 17 year old. I have to be careful not to scrape the front. The hood is longer than the typical car and the driving position is also too far back for an inexperienced driver who will hit most curbs when pulling in to park.

Last edited by fumbling; 02-09-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:49 PM
boxster99t
Burning Brakes

Received 248 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
We don't know your daughter and her character so we can't make an informed judgement but I'll say this... If my father gave me a Corvette at 17 I'd be dead before my 18th birthday. At that age my ability to make sound judgement decisions, and foreseeing the consequence of those decisions, was so underdeveloped I would have been doomed from the start. Hell, I'd street race my Mom's 6 cylinder Ford Fairlane. Sounds like your daughter probably has a better head than I had at that age.

Just google C7 crash, and see how much trouble one can get into with these cars. Only you know your daughter, and while most cars these days can do well over 100 mph, it's a bit different in a car that goes 0-60 under 4 seconds. I won't post the pictures here, but I'm reminded of years ago (if you were active on car boards you probably saw the official crash photos) of a teenage girl who apparently had some fight with her parents, left in Dad's Carrera Cab, lost control, side swiped two cars, and hit a toll booth. Killed her on contact, her face was peeled from her skull and the car was almost unrecognizable. Ladera Beach California.

I let my daughter drive my 06 Club Coupe when she was 30. 17, no way, no how. That's just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:21 PM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Did I miss it, or hasn't the OP made his final decision yet? Is the Corvette in the garage or not?
Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM
Lpe403
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes - do it. Teenagers need fast sports cars - Please do it - it will make the world a better place.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:59 PM
csf64ss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default you asked.......

there are so many things WRONG with this I can't even begin to start.......im sorry but you are either a filthy rich self centered ******* who doesn't like to say NO , or you get off on spoiling your Daughter for all the world to see. God forbid something should happen to Her behind the wheel of a Corvette, you Sir will be forever know as the one responsible for it ?.............I have a 30 yr old Daughter and shes a goofball !.......I wouldn't allow Her to drive my G S with me in it !.........SAVE THE GIFT FOR A MORE APPROPRIATE TIME.....LIKE COLLEGE GRADUATION, GETTIN MARRIED, ETC...........ALLOW HER TO MATURE FOR CHRIST SAKES !...........now I will apologize to you for insulting you....BUT, YOU ASKED ON A PUBLIC FORUM......SO I ANSWERED...........
NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-09-2019, 09:28 PM
csf64ss
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Spot on !
Old 02-09-2019, 10:07 PM
oldmantex1
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, the girl that is still my brothers wife had a 65 Impala 409, then traded that in for a 66 GTO. Both bought by her father. She was a very responsible girl at a young age. The same father bought her younger sister a 69 Vette. Neither of them had problems with tickets or the law. I say if she it responsible, and you can afford it, I would roll with it. Just my opinion.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:58 PM
ByRiver
Safety Car

Received 613 Likes on 422 Posts

I agree with the person who recommended she take the performance driving school first. There is nothing wrong with driving fast, but you need to learn how to hit the apex in turns when going fast. And know what to do when you get too hot in a turn. Lifting off the gas in a fast curve is the WRONG thing to do, for example. That's how you lose the rear end. And know about inside and outside turns. The knowledge and some practice will go a long way in keeping her safe. I practice this every time I ride my motorcycle and drive my Corvette. Practice makes perfect once you have the fundamentals down.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:56 AM
GTs 58
Melting Slicks

Received 71 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ByRiver
I agree with the person who recommended she take the performance driving school first. There is nothing wrong with driving fast, but you need to learn how to hit the apex in turns when going fast. And know what to do when you get too hot in a turn. Lifting off the gas in a fast curve is the WRONG thing to do, for example. That's how you lose the rear end. And know about inside and outside turns. The knowledge and some practice will go a long way in keeping her safe. I practice this every time I ride my motorcycle and drive my Corvette. Practice makes perfect once you have the fundamentals down.
Yah! That will teach her how to handle that car in city traffic or on the freeway along with her daily commutes that's packed with a bunch of morons in front, behind and next to her. Learning how to go fast in a corner or on a track is exactly what she needs to be safe on the streets. WTF!!!!!!!!

Lets hear what the OP has decided to do so that we can put an end to this.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:11 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18330
I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy but wanted some feedback. I am thinking about getting my daughter a 19' C7 but I'm having second thoughts. She's only 17 and has been driving a Lexus RC350 for a year. She really wants a corvette but I don't want to be doing something wrong. She's had zero issues with her driving. I monitor her driving through an app that alerts me to high speed, rapid acceleration, hard stops etc. I figured all cars can go fast and we live in south Florida so there's so much traffic you can't really do much. I don't know just looking for some thoughts.
Your right....I think your crazy. But that doesnt make you a bad person. It just makes you a Father that wants the best for his kid. Try to resist your daughters "please Daddys" because this is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Clif
Old 02-11-2019, 08:29 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

well did you buy her the vette yet????????????????????????????????????
Old 02-11-2019, 09:58 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Performance driving school isn't what she needs. If you think she needs to learn how to handle the car at high speeds, don't buy her a C7. With TC on, it's pretty hard to spin out or whatever and the brakes are outstanding. If she crashes, it shouldn't be because she didn't know how to trail brake into an on ramp.

Here is the other thing about "performance driving" schools. Yeah, they teach you what to do, but unless you practice it regularly and often, what they taught you won't be your natural instinct. You're still going to jump on the brakes in a panic situation in a turn and understeer into a wall (or worse). You're still going to overcorrect when it gets lose. etc. You can't just go to a 2 day driving school and think you've developed any real instinct or reaction. If you insist on this and think this will someone how make things better, make her go karting (real karts, not amusement park) every weekend for 4 months and do an hour a day.

With that said, I wouldn't, simply because it's a hard car to drive. Visibility is crap and it's easy to bottom out/scrape. It's asking for it for with an inexperienced driver, regardless of maturity.

Last edited by village idiot; 02-11-2019 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:03 PM
70RT440
Racer

Received 223 Likes on 104 Posts

Dude

You know your daughter better than anyone. In a year or less, she'll be an adult. Is she "there" yet? Is she someone you could trust to resist temptation? Is she someone who can be trusted not to endanger other drivers?

Let me remind you that any car, in incapable hands, will cause destruction and heartache. I am amazed that I survived my teens, and I was driving a 95HP Dodge Shadow.

Let me point you to a good resource:

https://putonthebrakes.org/

That is the "B.R.A.K.E.S." Safety school put on by former drag racer Doug Herbert. Doug lost two sons to a horrible traffic accident. An accident caused by his son when he tried to pass another car.

Doug decided to use his this tragedy to teach kids about driving safety...the RIGHT way. It mixes (some) high performance driving with things like accident avoidance, defensive driving, skid control, etc. I have a daughter her age. My daughter doesn't want to drive, but she will because she has to. Before I let her loose on the streets of Charlotte, she WILL take this class, along with a pure high performance driving course. Driver's ed just don't cut it.

It would be more than worth it for you and your daughter to take the trip to this area for her to take the course.

In any case, I say give her the Vette if you want to...but remember that she will be driving a 3000+ pound missile capable of going almost 200MPH. Make sure that you are putting that missile in capable hands.

***EDIT*** I didn't realize this, but he will be holding two classes in Orlando this year. I believe one of them is already full, but there's one in September.

Last edited by 70RT440; 02-11-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:09 PM
Tom Bunch
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

what universe are you guys living in even thinking of getting a teenager a corvette? Most teenagers can't concentrate on anything for more than 10 seconds, they think they're invincible and they don't know how to drive, Please don't. 25 should be the minimum age and thats stretching it. you buy a Vette to go fast and thats the last thing teens should be doing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom Bunch:
boss2k (02-19-2019), NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 PM
brian18330
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
well did you buy her the vette yet????????????????????????????????????
Just got it delivered! I'll get it cleaned up and give it to her tomorrow. Very sharp with the red calipers and red interior. I'll get some better pictures of it with her tomorrow. Thanks for all of the advice. I got a motosafety device that plugs right into the obd port and is specifically designed for teen drivers. She does a FL virtual school so she doesn't have to worry about a school parking lot and such. She will be fine and if there is any issues then she'll lose the car and I'll just have to drive it 🤔🤔!
JDSKY (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:17 PM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,197 Likes on 592 Posts

Awesome!! In the minority based on all the gloom and doom posts in this thread but I think she will be just fine. Post progress reports so we can follow along on her Vette journey through HS. Love the white!!

Get notified of new replies

To C7 for teenage daughter

Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

In 1976 I was in 12th grade and a week before graduation I bought my first Corvette a 1967 Corvette convertible. The price was $3,700 I had the down payment and was working at the local Chevrolet dealership. I needed my parents to cosign for me. They did and I got the car. I kept it for about two years and sold it to buy my neighbors one owner 1969 Corvette coupe 427/435HP 4-speed side exhaust with 18,000 original miles. I paid $4,500 for it and didn't need a cosigner because of my payment record at the bank on my previous Corvette loan. Talk about a car with too much power for a 19-year-old to own? The difference for me was if I did something stupid and smash it I knew I could never get another Corvette for 3 years because of the insurance. I have always owned a Corvette since my first one in 1976 at 18 years old and now on my 26th Corvette. In all the years of ownership, I only had one wreck not my fault a new 1985 Corvette somebody ran a stop sign and totaled me.

Your daughter can go 100mph in a C7 or she can do the same thing in an SUV? I see you bought the car and I hope it was the right choice good luck with your decision I think it will work out for you.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:44 PM
brian18330
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDSKY
Awesome!! In the minority based on all the gloom and doom posts in this thread but I think she will be just fine. Post progress reports so we can follow along on her Vette journey through HS. Love the white!!
Thank you!
Old 02-11-2019, 08:46 PM
brian18330
Instructor

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
In 1976 I was in 12th grade and a week before graduation I bought my first Corvette a 1967 Corvette convertible. The price was $3,700 I had the down payment and was working at the local Chevrolet dealership. I needed my parents to cosign for me. They did and I got the car. I kept it for about two years and sold it to buy my neighbors one owner 1969 Corvette coupe 427/435HP 4-speed side exhaust with 18,000 original miles. I paid $4,500 for it and didn't need a cosigner because of my payment record at the bank on my previous Corvette loan. Talk about a car with too much power for a 19-year-old to own? The difference for me was if I did something stupid and smash it I knew I could never get another Corvette for 3 years because of the insurance. I have always owned a Corvette since my first one in 1976 at 18 years old and now on my 26th Corvette. In all the years of ownership, I only had one wreck not my fault a new 1985 Corvette somebody ran a stop sign and totaled me.

Your daughter can go 100mph in a C7 or she can do the same thing in an SUV? I see you bought the car and I hope it was the right choice good luck with your decision I think it will work out for you.
Great story. You were a lucky kid lol. My parents wouldn't cosign for a sears card so I could get tires when I was 18!! Lol

Thanks!

Quick Reply: C7 for teenage daughter