Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 03:50 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,713 Likes on 2,998 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I don't think that I would have done that with either of my daughters, especially the oldest one
Old 02-01-2019, 04:30 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

I helped my kids get their first car...used, and I paid the insurance. I made them pay (finance) their first new car as well as pay the insurance. Established credit in their name. I never just bought them a car. Could have but did not. And it turns out they took much better care of the car when they paid for it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Vet Interested:
kenownr (02-01-2019), NortonCO (08-17-2021), V Vette (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Different strokes for different folks. No way in the world would we have purchased a brand new, high powered sports car for our two sons or daughter - especially while they were in HS! We had the means, but what would that have accomplished? Instead, here's what we did (maybe we're just bad parents?):

When our oldest son was old enough to drive (our next son was 1.5 year behind him, and our daughter another 2 years behind), we purchased a Chev Corsica from our friend who owned the car since new. It was his salesman car, and was in great shape with about 60k miles on it. Ran great, and cost $2500. If it got wrecked, which we figured virtually all teenage drivers will do somewhat since they are very inexperienced), it would not be a big deal financially - but it was also a safe car mechanically and with safety features for the time). We put a personal plate on it (lived in VA at the time) that was CTR RDA. The RDA were the first initials of each of their names. They all asked what the CTR stood for. We said "choose the right" - if you choose the right, the car is there for your use; if not, it'll sit. By 'choose the right', we referred to decent grades, no drugs or drinking, honoring us and each other, etc. It sat periodically when the boys were going thru HS. By the time our daughter was driving, we got rid of the Corsica and purchased a 4 year old Grand Prix - nice car, but same plates.

And we were into the car scene too. We've owned over 130 cars, used to show them in the ISCA, ran SS/D and MP drag racing, youngest son and I crewed together for Stavola Bros in Winston Cup, etc. For us, a car for our HS aged kids was not a right - it was a privilege to be earned, and no way would it be a high powered rocket.. But, as stated at the first, to each their own.

Last edited by Hopper12; 02-01-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Mrvettt
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 19 Posts

That would be neat. There was a girl 2 years ahead of myself in high school that had a new Corvette. She seemed very careful with it. If your daughter is the same way, no problem. As an aside , I drove through Effort several times a week when I worked for the gas pipeline company.

Rick
Old 02-01-2019, 05:00 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

Going to be one of the unpopular opnions here but i think it is wonderful that you are able to do something for your kid on this scale. It sounds like your daughter is responsible and an upstanding citizen. 2 jobs at 17? Not too many 17 years old do that. You are also in an area with car scene you said. This is something thar you can cherish with your daughter years to come.

ALSO im going to steal your idea. Bribe your daughter into no dating till 30 rofl
Old 02-01-2019, 05:01 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I bought my son an old POS Ford Fairlane that ran good and for the time period looked pretty good. He said it would beat taking the HS bus to school. He totaled it the first day!! Fortunately he didn't get hurt or hurt anybody. He drove into a ditch and hit a cement culvert while messing with the tape player. The next car HE bought!!
Sorry OP, no way I'd buy a kid a rocket car while still in HS. No disrespect intended; your're just trying to be a good dad and that's a good thing -- tom
Old 02-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by NashvilleGrandSport
Get her signed up for a high performance driving school run by professional instructors.

We took our daughter to one when she was 3 months shy of getting her license at age 16 (she had a permit and they agreed to let her attend if I signed off) and she's now 27 with no tickets or accidents.

She had her car (1999 Mitsubishi Gallant GTZ at the time) up to 110 at the track during the class at the Nashville Superspeedway! The instructor, after getting out of the car on her last track run, told me "she has big b*lls!" LOL!
.That is great advice.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:06 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Short answer: no.

Long answer: no, unless she has proven capable in performance cars in some sort of junior racing series, and is otherwise sane and trustworthy and competent, in which case I'd still think very long and hard about it.

Beyond the obvious issue of giving a 17 year old a performance car, remember there is plenty of other things they are still learning. The car is going to be dinged up in school parking lots, there is a real likelihood of low speed collisions while parking and driving tight areas. As others have mentioned, the risk that friends are going to drive exists, exposing you to that risk. Like it or not, high schoolers play pranks on each other, and cars were seemingly never off limit when I was in school. Nothing wrong with buying a high schooler a nice car, but it is never a great idea to buy them a flashy fast car. Save it for a college graduation gift, IMO.

Originally Posted by dbaker
IMO,if you start them out driving a car with power they will learn to control it earlier.
It's the kids that drive a Civic,then move up to power are many times the ones that have wrecks.

\db2
Which is exactly why stock car drivers start out in 850hp Cup cars, not stock four bangers at the local dirt track...

There is zero logic in presuming that someone with no driving skills being handed the keys to a performance car is going to handle it better than someone with skills in a lower powered car.
The following users liked this post:
owc6 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:08 PM
Allpro
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Will she be posting on the Corvette Forum? Also car pictures would be nice.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:38 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

You know your daughter better than we do. Would I do it, absolutely not. Even if I could afford it.
All 3 of my daughters started off with functionally safe, but otherwise "bumper cars". I had my reasons.
I was a NYC firefighter for 20+ years and saw my share of young driver accidents.
You want to put your 17yr old daughter behind the wheel of a car some more experienced drivers have problems handling.
Keep her in the Lexus. You have to grow into a corvette.

Last edited by Fcal; 02-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.
owc6 (02-02-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
Short answer: no.

Long answer: no, unless she has proven capable in performance cars in some sort of junior racing series, and is otherwise sane and trustworthy and competent, in which case I'd still think very long and hard about it.

Beyond the obvious issue of giving a 17 year old a performance car, remember there is plenty of other things they are still learning. The car is going to be dinged up in school parking lots, there is a real likelihood of low speed collisions while parking and driving tight areas. As others have mentioned, the risk that friends are going to drive exists, exposing you to that risk. Like it or not, high schoolers play pranks on each other, and cars were seemingly never off limit when I was in school. Nothing wrong with buying a high schooler a nice car, but it is never a great idea to buy them a flashy fast car. Save it for a college graduation gift, IMO.

Which is exactly why stock car drivers start out in 850hp Cup cars, not stock four bangers at the local dirt track...

There is zero logic in presuming that someone with no driving skills being handed the keys to a performance car is going to handle it better than someone with skills in a lower powered car.
I guess you missed the part were the OP said his daughter has been driving around in a Lexus RC350 for the past year.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:15 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Too much temptation ....and there will be too much peer pressure..."how fast can you go?"
NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:16 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
IMO,if you start them out driving a car with power they will learn to control it earlier.
It's the kids that drive a Civic,then move up to power are many times the ones that have wrecks.

\db2
i agree with this. I started with a new ‘69 Roadrunner 383. Been moving up a lot since then.
Same is true for older guys buying a Harley that didn’t ride as a kid.
Old 02-01-2019, 07:22 PM
90eclipsegsx
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can understand helping your kid get a car but this seems way to far. My first car was a 1990 Mitsubishi eclipse gsx that I bought on my own. I think having to earn your first car builds character. I took pride in my car and knowing that I was not just given it as well as it being easily the fastest car in the parking lot.

Last edited by 90eclipsegsx; 02-01-2019 at 09:17 PM.
NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-01-2019, 07:27 PM
Red Devil Z51
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

I'm sorry to say this but i think it's stupid to give kids a car in high school. We had 2 cars when i was in high school but the 2nd car was there for 1 reason only.
That was for me to drive my mom anywhere she wanted to go or needed to go.
Other than that it sat in the garage.
Fact is it would have needed new tires every month if dad let me have it LOL.
NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-01-2019, 08:03 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,690 Likes on 5,591 Posts

Young new drivers have enough danger/risk to contend with without adding 460HP in the mix.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kevin A Jones:
NortonCO (08-17-2021), owc6 (02-02-2019), V Vette (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

So, as a now adult My instinct is to think buying kids cars like this is more than ridiculous. However when I was 17 I got a brand new crossfire and then upgraded to Crossfire SRT-6. About 40 and 50k for a high schooler in 2004/2005. I did some dumbass things in them and the SRT was super fast, but never had accidents, made great grades, etc. So I think you have to make the decision of “is my daughter really going to be okay in a car this fast”. The RC350 is a nice car, but it doesn’t have the speed/power of the Vette. If you truly think she’ll be okay then I say why not, it’s your money and your daughter.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 for teenage daughter

Old 02-01-2019, 09:25 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18330
I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy but wanted some feedback. I bought a 19' 2LT for my daughter but didn't take delivery as of yet because I'm having second thoughts. She's only 17 and has been driving a Lexus RC350 for a year. She really wants a corvette but I don't want to be doing something wrong. She's had zero issues with her driving. I monitor her driving through an app that alerts me to high speed, rapid acceleration, hard stops etc. I figured all cars can go fast and we live in south Florida so there's so much traffic you can't really do much. I don't know just looking for some thoughts.
I bought mine a Mazda 323. Later sold it and gave her my truck. Lead foot would Never have gotten a vette; I want her alive.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:37 PM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

I would NEVER buy my 17 year old child a High Performance car! If something happens to her in that car you will never forgive yourself!
The following 4 users liked this post by wonka12_98:
CocoVette (02-02-2019), FunDriver (02-03-2019), owc6 (02-02-2019), Yatagon41 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 10:56 PM
FormerBiker
Race Director

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

If you decide to buy the car for your daughter, put the car into valet mode and give her the code/password when she turns 25.

Quick Reply: C7 for teenage daughter