Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 for teenage daughter

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 04:55 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

If she parks here, it should not overly stand out and cause the jocks to be all over her . I'm sure OP is not the first parent to buy their teenager a new car; his and her choice of which car. Again, many teenagers are driving cars with 460 hp or more.

Last edited by m3incorp; 02-03-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-03-2019, 05:09 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by m3incorp

If she parks here, it should not overly stand out and cause the jocks to be all over her . I'm sure OP is not the first parent to buy their teenager a new car; his and her choice of which car. Again, many teenagers are driving cars with 460 hp or more.
I wish this was my motor court & my only decision was which one do I drive today.
The following users liked this post:
m3incorp (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 06:20 PM
brian18330
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if she parks here, it should not overly stand out and cause the jocks to be all over her . I'm sure op is not the first parent to buy their teenager a new car; his and her choice of which car. Again, many teenagers are driving cars with 460 hp or more.
👍👍
Old 02-03-2019, 07:10 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

like the pic !

But not sure why a pic taken by automobile photographer Chester Ng of the Hong Kong (where he's based) supercar club pre-Sunday Morning Drive event matters for a post about a dude (if real) buying a C7 for his daughter... Unless her life looks like the movie "Crazy Rich Asians."
Then again the dude wouldn't be posting here.

Last edited by Parcival; 02-03-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:21 PM
TOO Z MAXX
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

If you buy her a Vette, take her autoxing a few times so she can take the car to its limit and learn how to drive it. This will be the best thing you can do.
jefnvk (02-03-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:59 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
You know... I think it would be beneficial for everyone if cops allowed a closed down parkinglot and let people do donuts and drifts so they could understand the limits of their cars...
You mean, autocross? They do all the time. Bonus: you can bring your buddies and have an objective measurement of who is better!

Originally Posted by c6vette03
I'm a sixteen year old with a c6. I learned right away what my limits were and stuck to them and will never go past them. I would say that's totally fine as long as she has respect for the car and it's capabilities.
Not to be too blunt, but that "I know it" attitude is part of the reason why inexperienced drivers should not have performance cars. You might know your CURRENT limits, but unless you've had the car on a track or otherwise closed course, you don't know the CAR's limits. Odds are, YOUR limits are going to expand, probably a lot faster than you ever planned. That is not a bad thing, until they surpass the car's limitation, in which case it is a really bad thing. That is not to say that you specifically are inexperienced, that is to say all new drivers have a lot to learn, unless as I mentioned before you have shown competency in some sort of junior racing series.

Not to mention, I've yet to meet a single sixteen year old when they have a friend or two in their car (and don't laugh, when I bought mine from an 18 year old he just brought it back from the car wash with one of his buddies in the trunk area) who can resist kicking the back end out or lighting up the tires at a stop sign when they get goosed from said friends. This despite all swearing they are the most responsible drivers ever
Old 02-03-2019, 10:01 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Buy her a C4. Better to wreck a $7000 car than a $70,000 car. Lucky girl, either way!
Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18330
I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy but wanted some feedback. I am thinking about getting my daughter a 19' C7 but I'm having second thoughts. She's only 17 and has been driving a Lexus RC350 for a year. She really wants a corvette but I don't want to be doing something wrong. She's had zero issues with her driving. I monitor her driving through an app that alerts me to high speed, rapid acceleration, hard stops etc. I figured all cars can go fast and we live in south Florida so there's so much traffic you can't really do much. I don't know just looking for some thoughts.
I would! No reason not to. Give her the thrill of choosing color, all the options and whether she wants hatchback or convertible when ordering it. Congratulations! !
Old 02-04-2019, 09:01 AM
shootervince
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I could be someones teenage daughter, Just sayin
Old 02-04-2019, 09:25 AM
zcobrausa
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Driving is the most dangerous thing your child will do in their life. Not sure why you would put a maturing child in the seat of a vehicle that adds a lot of extra issues that they might not be able to process fully.
There’s a reason you don’t start flying in a jet when you first learn to fly. Also as we know the C7 is a very easy car to drive. That invites speed. Peer pressure is very real and powerful amongst teens.

I actually started my kids in a 4 cylinder Jeep with a 5 speed. Plus it has a full roll cage standard. They are always steering and shifting. No time to be on the cell phone or radio. Plus you feel speed in it which curbs how fast you will go. While they are still young they can take my car out during an HPDE in a controlled environment.
csf64ss (02-09-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 AM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 363 Posts

Im still not mature enough to own a vette and I graduated high school in 1975. She needs something to look forward to- no harm in using a car as transportation at 17 and not having it as an accessory. Whats the upside on giving her what she wants? Being a parent is more than be a friend and/or a bankbook.
The following 2 users liked this post by plmmd:
csf64ss (02-09-2019), NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:26 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

knew plenty of girls in HS whos parents bought them new vettes, Camaros, TA etc not one of them got in trouble.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:46 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

My Dad offered to match every dollar I made and spent purchasing my first car. I learned how long it took and how much effort I expended to earn each dollar (something that appears to be lost on today's kids).

When I finally got that car (1967 Chevy Impala 350/325HP) in 1969, I had skin in the game and knew the value of a dollar. I knew what it took to earn 1/2 the purchase price and took care of it accordingly.

My buddy had a 17 year old daughter that wanted a new car, he gave her his older Thunderbird. Car was pristine, but she never appreciated it, she put zero effort into getting it. Never assigned any value to it, since it was free. She never washed or cleaned the interior (my buddy was **** about keeping his cars perfect and it drove him crazy to see the car he had degrade) and finally she rolled it a corn field outside Springfield Illinois (under mysterious circumstances). Then she looked to dear old Dad to buy her something else (which he did).

As much as we think our kids are the best and most deserving, you do them no favor by giving them things without any contribution from them. Getting good grades or not taking dope is not "skin in the game". You do those things because they are expected and not something extra. Getting a job after school and working weekends and saving for something is "Extra" and shows initiative and dedication ..

Personally, if it were my daughter, I tell her to get a job and I'd would match her dollar for dollar. My guess is she would settle for a Cruze @ 1/2 price rather than go the distance for a new Corvette. Either way, the amount of effort it takes to work and save is a lesson well learned. Lets not even talk about insurances and maintenance costs and how that would factor into cost of ownership.

There is a reason so many older people finally own and drive a Corvette. They saved and know how long it takes to afford one, and with that in mind, they take care of them like a "new born".

If you think I am wrong, fine, we agree to disagree, but just look at all the free government programs and their unintended consequences. .
NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55 AM
zcobrausa
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont disagree but I dont think it's a money thing. Money is relative. For me it's a safety and maturity thing. That is a lot of car unsupervised even with the nanny apps in a maturing childs hands. #1 killer of teenagers is cars and you ratchet up the temptation and emotion with a C7. That danger is squared in the formula.
The following 3 users liked this post by zcobrausa:
jefnvk (02-04-2019), NortonCO (08-17-2021), owc6 (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Jpena229
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
You should put her on the track in a Miata to learn how to drive at the limit before handing over a car that can kill you if you don’t understand and respect its capabilities.
There's a thread here titled "what happened here" (videos), If you want to see what happens when you put somebody without the necessary skills behind the wheel of a high power car check it out, it's an eye opener.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM
Jpena229
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zcobrausa
I dont disagree but I dont think it's a money thing. Money is relative. For me it's a safety and maturity thing. That is a lot of car unsupervised even with the nanny apps in a maturing childs hands. #1 killer of teenagers is cars and you ratchet up the temptation and emotion with a C7. That danger is squared in the formula.
Amen !!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:09 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by zcobrausa
I actually started my kids in a 4 cylinder Jeep with a 5 speed. Plus it has a full roll cage standard. They are always steering and shifting. No time to be on the cell phone or radio. Plus you feel speed in it which curbs how fast you will go. While they are still young they can take my car out during an HPDE in a controlled environment.
To be fair, a Wrangler (I presume its a Wrangler from mentioning the roll cage) is also something I wouldn't start a young driver off in. Same goes for Samuaris, Trackers, etc. They are not stable vehicles, at least the pre-ESC ones, it is really easy to tip over when other cars would just spin out, and those roll cages are more appropriately known as style bars for a reason.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 for teenage daughter

Old 02-04-2019, 01:58 PM
shootervince
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Perhaps something without a back seat
Old 02-04-2019, 03:45 PM
Krusty84
Drifting

Received 367 Likes on 280 Posts

Nope, no way.

Well... Unless you got FU money. Then who cares. But.... For the mass majority of us, it definitely isn't smart to give or partially give a teenager such a large depreciating asset.
The following 2 users liked this post by Krusty84:
jefnvk (02-04-2019), NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-04-2019, 03:57 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 874 Posts

My wife was not crazy about the idea when my 19 y/o daughter asked if she could take one of Dad's Corvettes to College with her. She wanted my 1988 C4 and it would be a great car for a college kid, 250 hp and killer looks. Instead she talked her Mom into a 2011 Camaro with a Six Cylinder and six speed all in that BRIGHT Yellow with the 21" Chrome rims. When she started driving around and picking up friends all the other parents freaked out and would not let their children ride in the Camaro. The fact it has a six cylinder was good for Mom and the argument for the car. It was not till later Mom found out that it made 313 hp and came with Direct Injection, Variable Valve timing and even posi-traction along with the six-speed gearbox. The car is a blast to drive and has a decent safety record and is easy for a Corvette guy to maintain. It gets 30 mpg and has a killer stereo so why not?

My daughter is finishing her second year at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona Beach, Florida. She is studying Aerospace Engineering and has the makings of a great engineer when she is done. She is a "Car-Girl", she knows cars better than lots of guys her age. She has been around Corvettes since birth and loves to help dear old Dad working on my 1968 C3 L71 and the 1988 L98 coupe. She has put in lots of hours of loving labor on my cars and she is allowed to drive the 1988 C4 without me. She is a very responsible driver and always liked performance cars. Not too mention the simple rule of my household, you get a ticket and you find your own insurance and buy your own vehicle!

I have spent HER lifetime training her to be smart, careful and analytical. She had always shown a great interest in Corvettes and plans on buying her own after she gets a job. She is doing an excellent job in her schoolwork and has high grades to boot. She comes home and spends the summer taking killer classes so she can get to her intended career sooner. She has "earned the right" to drive a nice car and since she goes to school 800 miles from home it helps her to have a reliable semi-performance car. By keeping her GPA above 3.0 she earned a discount from my insurance company for the Camaro.

I do agree that kids driving training is not very advanced so I am going to take her to a drivers class where she can learn to drive a performance car to it's fullest. Advanced training is always a good thing if you want your child to stay alive on the roads. I took her out on a rainy afternoon and turned off the nanny controls so she could feel the car get loose and recover using her skills instead of the dumb car nanny taking care of you.

It all boils down to one thing, TRUST! I trust my daughter with the Camaro. It is the "other" drivers that I fear!

Quick Reply: C7 for teenage daughter