Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C7 for teenage daughter

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:19 PM
m3incorp
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

You could be right The pic was only to lighten things up a bit.

Originally Posted by Parcival
like the pic !

But not sure why a pic taken by automobile photographer Chester Ng of the Hong Kong (where he's based) supercar club pre-Sunday Morning Drive event matters for a post about a dude (if real) buying a C7 for his daughter... Unless her life looks like the movie "Crazy Rich Asians."
Then again the dude wouldn't be posting here.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:19 PM
c6vette03
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jefnvk
You mean, autocross? They do all the time. Bonus: you can bring your buddies and have an objective measurement of who is better!

Not to be too blunt, but that "I know it" attitude is part of the reason why inexperienced drivers should not have performance cars. You might know your CURRENT limits, but unless you've had the car on a track or otherwise closed course, you don't know the CAR's limits. Odds are, YOUR limits are going to expand, probably a lot faster than you ever planned. That is not a bad thing, until they surpass the car's limitation, in which case it is a really bad thing. That is not to say that you specifically are inexperienced, that is to say all new drivers have a lot to learn, unless as I mentioned before you have shown competency in some sort of junior racing series.

Not to mention, I've yet to meet a single sixteen year old when they have a friend or two in their car (and don't laugh, when I bought mine from an 18 year old he just brought it back from the car wash with one of his buddies in the trunk area) who can resist kicking the back end out or lighting up the tires at a stop sign when they get goosed from said friends. This despite all swearing they are the most responsible drivers ever
I totally get what you're saying and I know many people who really shouldn't have any car because of that. And I'm not at all trying to be a wise guy here, but basically in a nutshell i'm not trying to get myself killed by being an idiot. (not saying I don't have fun sometimes ) I've also ridden dirt bikes, atvs, farm equipment, many vehicles, semis. I've learned a lot about the physics of cars by driving those for many years. Once again, not trying to be a know it all.

Last edited by c6vette03; 02-04-2019 at 08:28 PM. Reason: need to make corrections
Old 02-04-2019, 10:58 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette03
I totally get what you're saying and I know many people who really shouldn't have any car because of that. And I'm not at all trying to be a wise guy here, but basically in a nutshell i'm not trying to get myself killed by being an idiot. (not saying I don't have fun sometimes ) I've also ridden dirt bikes, atvs, farm equipment, many vehicles, semis. I've learned a lot about the physics of cars by driving those for many years. Once again, not trying to be a know it all.
No worries. I could drive a tractor before I could drive a truck, which I was only delayed til about 10 because I couldn't reach the pedals, so I understand the feeling. Now having reached the age where I have been driving solo longer than I haven't, having a performance driving certification from a major OEM, I can tell you there is still a lot that even I can learn about today's monsters, let alone everything I learned only after a few years of driving.

Since you already have the car, get yourself to some autocrosses and learn to properly handle it, and remember if I could do donuts if I tried hard in an 80hp Dodge Ram at 16, that Vette will do them for you even if you don't!
The following users liked this post:
c6vette03 (02-05-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 11:07 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,804 Likes on 4,236 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

As someone who had fast cars in my teens (Mustang GT, Z28, TransAm) & who now has 2 teenagers myself, there is no way in the world I would let my kids drive a new C7. The first part of this is buying anything of great expense for for a kid or teenager (a $60k car being something of pretty great cost) is that they don't learn how to work hard for something, earn & appreciate it. Working two jobs as a teenager is not enough to afford a $60k car. My parents gave me $1,500 toward the down payment on my Mustang which was brand new & that was because I was a perennial honor student who also excelled in athletics & worked a job in the evenings & weekends. The car payment, insurance & maintenance was up to me, not to mention gas money that was wasted every weekend "cruising" in the small town I grew up in. When I thought I was being cool attempting a donut & hit the curb bending my wheel - $700 for a new wheel at my uncle's Ford employee discount + the $250 for the new tire had to come out of my pocket. You can bet I didn't do any more donuts in that car. When I wanted to upgrade to the faster Z28 - that was all me. My parent's didn't even co-sign. I learned the hard lesson of high interest rates for little to no credit history & I learned to work by butt of for things that I wanted & how to take great care of them because nobody was going to hand me $ if they broke down.

The second part is no matter what app you're using to monitor her driving, that doesn't make up for her lack of driving experience. Teenagers brains are not fully formed yet, and they don't have the reaction and/or judgement skills of an adult (hell most adults can't handle a C7). Coupled with lack of actual time behind the wheel, putting in her in a high performance vehicle, unless she's been racing go-carts all her life, is putting her in a very dangerous position. Ask yourself how you would feel if she were in an unfortunate accident and was seriously hurt or killed because the car was just too much for her? I know I could never live with myself if something were to happen to my children & I contributed to it. There was a story by me just last year & my kids knew the kids involved. 16 year old girl whose parents had given her a Porsche Macan turbo for her birthday was driving with 2 friends & just couldn't handle the car. They got in an accident and all of them passed.

I tried teaching my son to drive stick in my GS and he said he has no desire to learn to drive the Vette until he has a lot more experience driving and is better able to understand the power & handling of it. Now that's a smart kid. You're going to do what you're going to do, but you asked for opinions.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:54 AM
Stoplight
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by brian18330
I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy but wanted some feedback. I am thinking about getting my daughter a 19' C7 but I'm having second thoughts. She's only 17 and has been driving a Lexus RC350 for a year. She really wants a corvette but I don't want to be doing something wrong. She's had zero issues with her driving. I monitor her driving through an app that alerts me to high speed, rapid acceleration, hard stops etc. I figured all cars can go fast and we live in south Florida so there's so much traffic you can't really do much. I don't know just looking for some thoughts.
There is a reason why you are having second thoughts. She also drives a Lexus RC350, which is a luxury car, and is also slow compared the C7. Hell, it’s slow compared to the RC-F, which is a heavy car. Instead of getting her a C7, try the Honda S2000. An enthusiast’s car, that is going up in value. It’s a two seater as well.

And then there is if she really WANTS a Vette, then she can buy it herself when she has to money to afford it. Does she NEED a C7 at 17? And really, how long will she revert back to wanting to be coddled in the cushy Lexus RC350? It’s reliable, and let’s face it, the Lexus dealership experience is a lot nicer than the Chevy dealership experience.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:07 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

You have to keep in mind that on any public forum an open ended question like this is going to draw out a majority of those that were irresponsible youth's posting their experiences of near death and/or simply idiotic behavior. Any car in the hands of an irresponsible youth can injure or kill the driver, passengers or other people around them. I had plenty of friends that totaled their first vehicles and were injured, some of them seriously. The worst of these offenders totaled several family vehicles. None of those auto's would be considered high performance by today's standards. All of the parents of these worst offenders just kept handing keys to vehicles and did not spend more than a few seconds making sure their teen had sufficient or appropriate disciplinary actions taken upon them in the event they acted irresponsibly. In short, the parents were a direct enabler of and primary source for their stupid behavior.

Your daughter sounds like a responsible teen and you have taken measures to keep tabs on her. Technology that just did not exist when those posting stories of lunacy decided to do something really dumb. Spend your money how you see fit, keep doing what you are doing WRT teaching her responsibility. Lay down the law (just like my parents did when I purchased my first car). Post up some pictures of the car and then please follow-up on this thread with her progress. I have a feeling she will do just fine and prove all posting about their irresponsible youth's will likely be proven wrong.....

Last edited by JDSKY; 02-05-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:21 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Reminds me of the story of Hansel and Gretel.
Here kiddie kiddie kidde, come have some ginger bread, cakes candy and a c7 …
Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 AM
dhirocz
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No way in hell. Itll turn her into a sausage magnet, and I wouldnt want the car to be how much I find out how much I can trust her at an age where she is trying to develop a personal life. Not to mention, I refuse to withhold the opportunity for my kids to learn the value of hard work and a dollar by giving them something nice they didn't have to work for. Not in this day and age.

I love my daughter and I trust her. That's why I won't do it. Being a dad isnt always about doing what is cool and certainly isnt about what 'feels' right... at that age, its about taking one last moment before cutting them loose in the world and teaching them every lesson you can. I dont want to think I did everything as good as I could have. I want to KNOW. And I know that fact and logic, not feelings, tells me not to do this. This is what a job flipping burgers and civics are for.

My $0.02, nobody has to agree, but my kids have turned out great, all get great grades, shun typical millennial stupidity, and are career oriented so there has to be some merit to it.

If you raise them the same as everybody else, they will turn out like everybody else. Raise them to be smarter than everybody else...

Last edited by dhirocz; 02-05-2019 at 11:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dhirocz:
Malum1 (02-05-2019), NortonCO (08-17-2021)
Old 02-05-2019, 12:16 PM
JayhawkCPA
Racer

Received 134 Likes on 96 Posts

Where's my pop corn...

Her driving it would not be my first concern, friends, boyfriends... anyone else who could get behind the wheel.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
She’s going to be very popular.
It all depends on what the other kids are driving!!!!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoplight

There is a reason why you are having second thoughts. She also drives a Lexus RC350, which is a luxury car, and is also slow compared the C7. Hell, it’s slow compared to the RC-F, which is a heavy car. Instead of getting her a C7, try the Honda S2000. An enthusiast’s car, that is going up in value. It’s a two seater as well.

And then there is if she really WANTS a Vette, then she can buy it herself when she has to money to afford it. Does she NEED a C7 at 17? And really, how long will she revert back to wanting to be coddled in the cushy Lexus RC350? It’s reliable, and let’s face it, the Lexus dealership experience is a lot nicer than the Chevy dealership experience.
S2000.....

Really...

Those things are soooooo prone to spinning. Hell no
Old 02-05-2019, 03:41 PM
csf
Melting Slicks

Received 207 Likes on 128 Posts

A brand new C7 for a 17 year old girl in South Florida ? Sure, go for it. Totally normal.

I'd recommend a convertible as it is Florida. Hopefully she got her nose job at 13 and got her breast implants for her 16th birthday.
And I'd recommend a lighter interior color to compliment her Louis Vuitton pocketbooks and her Cartier gold watch.

But, as the father of two grown daughters, I will tell you she won't be able to take any of her important stuff (like 40 pairs of shoes or 20 pairs of jeans with holes in the knees) to college at The University of Miami in that C7. So you may need to get her a Range Rover in a year or two. . . . no big deal.

And of course, when you do allow her to begin dating, make sure she picks only boys who got Porsches for their 17th birthday . . . you don't want her slumming it.

Can't wait to see the photos of the new ride on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter. Congratulations.

PS - I am also fortunate to have two good kids. And honestly I could have easily got them each a new Corvette. But when they were 16 I bought my oldest daughter a RAV4 and then my youngest a Mazda 3. They both seemed so happy. But now I am thinking maybe not. Damn, did I screw that up ? Who knew ?

CocoVette (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Houston Z33
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Mayor111
May I ask what your daughter did to earn a Corvette at 17 years old? Did she get accepted into a top tiered college with a full ride? Did she get accepted into the Olympics? Or is Daddy rich and this is the next toy for his daughter? I say this with no disrespect. Im not faulting ANYONE for what the do for their children - there are way too many deadbeat parents out there these days, so I commend you for being a loving parent that obviously provides outstandingly for his family...but did you ever think what's next for her? Let's fast forward 10 years from now when Daddy isn't paying for her toys anymore and she's working a real job that maybe can't afford the next hot new sports car, or shoes, or spa day... What is your daughter going to feel then? What will she be excited to work towards or look forward to, because at 17 she already had one of the best cars on the road...?

I grew up in a very wealthy town, and my father did extremely well for himself...but he taught me to EARN the finer things in life, so I would learn to appreciate them. To me you have to EARN a high priced toy like a Vette...or you will NEVER appreciate it.

We can lock the thread up right here folks.
Mayor111 (02-06-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 04:03 PM
c6vette03
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will for sure look into entering an autocross. My dad has gone several times to some in his 911, so he would be glad to take me in the vette. ( and yes we do have a rivalry going.) Thanks for your input!
jefnvk (02-05-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Over9K
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
You know... I think it would be beneficial for everyone if cops allowed a closed down parkinglot and let people do donuts and drifts so they could understand the limits of their cars...

It's frowned upon but honestly that was some of the best learning of how to handle a car in a skid..

Similarly, my friends and I would screw around in snow covered parking lots (not in my Camaro or Corvette) and learn how to drive in slippery conditions. I think it's a great learning exercise
Who exactly would be insuring this stupidity? The parking lot owner?
jefnvk (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:53 AM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

I know some of you are going to think I'm crazy but wanted some feedback. I am thinking about getting my daughter a 19' C7 but I'm having second thoughts. She's only 17 and has been driving a Lexus RC350 for a year. She really wants a corvette but I don't want to be doing something wrong. She's had zero issues with her driving. I monitor her driving through an app that alerts me to high speed, rapid acceleration, hard stops etc. I figured all cars can go fast and we live in south Florida so there's so much traffic you can't really do much. I don't know just looking for some thoughts.
when my daughter turns 16 she is getting a 3/4 ton suburban. Nothing smaller.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:13 PM
tychoaussie
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

My daughter started out with a rusty 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. Then, moved onto the teen-car friendly Buick Rendezvous (that my son now drives). Once she got her own job in college, she went out and bought her own super low-mile, looks like showroom new, 2012 Mustang. She dotes on that car. Keeps it covered at night. She used her own money, is paying her own insurance and is making her own accelerated car payments. I think that maybe, giving them something less costly to drive that's already a bit dog-eared so that if they bump it, it's not a huge deal. Follow up with encouragement to dream. When they can shop for real, encourage them to consider something fun to drive, on their own dime. They'll have more overall joy with their cars that way. Just like our parents did for us.
jefnvk (02-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 for teenage daughter

Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Trihawk
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for all the input. We are very much into the car scene here and attend a lot of car events that she can now be more a part of. She would never let anyone drive her car. We actually have a rule that she is not even allowed to have anyone in her car now. The last thing I want is distractions and the liability of her driving around friends. She loves the Lexus but the lease is up and she has to get something else. I am going to look into more of a performance driving course. Thanks for the advice!
Brian,
It is a credit to you that you are seeking out opinions. As a 17 year old, your daughter's highest risk of dying from any single thing is from a motor vehicle accident. Please contemplate the graphic below. Although it is unlikely she will die that way, since death (or injury/disability) is a high consequence outcome I recommend a more cautious choice. Although she sounds like a conscientious person, she still lacks experience. A driving class is no substitute for years of seat time. As a surgeon, I have had to deliver the bad news to parents of dead children from trauma (including car accidents). I know what they would tell you also.
Good luck

The following 2 users liked this post by Trihawk:
CocoVette (02-07-2019), Ih2lose (02-07-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 01:38 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly1119
when my daughter turns 16 she is getting a 3/4 ton suburban. Nothing smaller.
The corollary: while big might (theoretically) keep them safer, if/when they screw up and hit someone else, they do a lot more damage to others.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:44 PM
pauly1119
Drifting

Received 401 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'11

Originally Posted by jefnvk
The corollary: while big might (theoretically) keep them safer, if/when they screw up and hit someone else, they do a lot more damage to others.
understood but with guidance and proper teaching we would hope that would not happen but if it does I’ll take my chances with the larger vehicle.

Quick Reply: C7 for teenage daughter