C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty or not

Old 03-10-2019, 08:07 AM
KOSletten
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

I recently purchased a 2016 Z51 that is out of the factory 36 month 36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. This is my first Corvette and will most likely be the only Corvette I ever own so I wanted to have an extended warranty on it.
The only quote I had for an extended warranty before I bought the car was from Dennis Fitchner who came in at $4153 for the Platinum $0 deductible 84/70000. The selling dealer offered me $50 deductible 84/75000 plan through Ethos Group for $2363 so I went with the dealers plan. After getting home with the car and researching the Ethos Group and reviewing the plan some more I decided to give Todd Sutherland at MacMulkin Chevrolet a call and I am glad I did, he was $2250 less for the Platinum $0 84/70000 plan that DF quoted me. So I signed up with Todd Sutherland and canceled the plan I purchased from the dealer I bought my Corvette from.

KO
The following 2 users liked this post by KOSletten:
bjones7131 (03-10-2019), Jetman2017 (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 09:47 AM
Frankb10
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 118 Posts

Another Happy Ending.....it pays to shop around.......
ENJOY your Corvette...
Old 03-10-2019, 10:53 AM
neogenesis
Burning Brakes

Received 580 Likes on 250 Posts

Just got my GMEPP from Dennis. He is great to work with. Like others have said, whether or not it is “worth” it is up to your individual risk aversion as well as your use case scenarios. Agree that for those that only drive the car on a sunny weekend for 3-4000 miles/yr, probably not worth it. For myself, I use this car as a daily driver and average 15-18000/yr. I also plan on keeping the car to 100,000K+. So I got a 6yr/100K. I chose the $100 deductible option because the price difference between the two plans (in my case) was about $400. I figured I’d have to have 4 claims under GMEPP to be at the break even point and that was a gamble I was willing to take. The other thing that pushed me to do it was the fact that this is officially backed and serviced through GM. I have had 3rd party extended warranties on used vehicles I have purchased in the past and between the hidden exclusions, and almost ridiculous hoops they make you jump through to actually get work done, most often they’re not worth the paper they’re written on.
Old 09-03-2019, 09:40 PM
NYVette2112
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Fichtner
I guess I have had enough of people undercutting my prices for warranties. I work every day for this forum community to dig into and answer questions about concerns they have, the last being the do it yourself maintenance which I went right to the source of my GM rep for warranties and also right to A.M.T. the administrator of the plan itself and I got the answer.

I don't see any of these other guys working for anyone on the forum other than undercutting and giving away a warranty. I state in my letter to everyone I will match or beat anyone but I am not able to sell a warranty for a loss or $50 profit when I also eat a credit card fee of $25-$50 per transaction. Everyone is entitled to this business but please consider what I have done for this forum for 16 years now. I guess I am a little upset but such is life and competition is not a bad thing unless it is just stupidity on someone's part. I am working towards possibly getting back into California so stay tuned for that one, that really hurt loosing about 40 warranties a month minimum.

Next time anyone talks with this Todd ask him about the in depth workings of this warranty and if he even owns a Corvette, I am on #12. I live and eat this forum and I think most of my friends(not customers) agree I work my tail off for each and every one of you. I believe everyone is entitled to a fair profit on cars, trucks, warranties, etc but again I am limited by management as to what I have to make on each warranty. I could sell them for no profit all day long but it would only be one day and I wouldn't be here tomorrow.

Enough of the rambling, hopefully some of my great customers will chime in and comment on how they have been treated for 16 years now, some of them have purchased 10-15 warranties from me and I am now serving their kids and grandkids.
Hi Dennis,
I will be reaching out to you within the next couple of days for my 17 Grand Sport.
Thanks for your loyalty to the forum,

Chris
Old 09-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Dallas007
Instructor

Received 132 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by desibaba
Get it especially if you have A8 or a z06. It will pay for itself
In what way will it pay for itself if you have an A8? It’s my understanding that the new fluid has resolved the A8 issues. I’m not doubting you but haven’t read of anyone spending money on a transmission repair/replacement that would exceed the cost of the extended warranty. Thanks in advance and again I’m not doubting you I’m just interested in knowing.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:01 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas007
In what way will it pay for itself if you have an A8? It’s my understanding that the new fluid has resolved the A8 issues. I’m not doubting you but haven’t read of anyone spending money on a transmission repair/replacement that would exceed the cost of the extended warranty. Thanks in advance and again I’m not doubting you I’m just interested in knowing.
I believe your understanding that the new trans fluid has "solved" the A8 issues is incorrect. It has temporarily mitigated the shifting, shudder and torque converter problems in some cases, not all. Some have had the transmission & TC flush, some have had to replace the torque converter, others have had to replace entire transmission. There have been other A8 owners told to go pound sand. It may be wise to eliminate your exposure by purchasing a reputable service contract since it covers far more than the factory 60 mo./ 60 K. mile powertrain warranty.
I am a believer in automotive extended warranties. I have one on each of the eight cars & trucks in my garage and driveway. They have all paid for themselves either with eliminating repair costs, peace of mind or partial refunds upon selling prior to contract expiration. A person has to be careful and shop around to protect his own financial interest. Anyone who claims to be doing you a favor or giving you a better deal by charging you more for the same thing is simply not being truthful. Dealer personnel get incentives for volume, penetration rates and overall profit.It is not smart to pay anyone more money for the identical product (very important) because of some nebulous loyalty, similar interest (fellow Corvette owner?) or friendship issue. Regardless of who is selling the warranties, who is really acting in the customer's interest? The person who charges you more for a warranty because he "promises" to give you better or "special" service in the future, entitling him/ her to greater profit, or the person to whom you have no such claimed connection charging you minimal markup for the exact same protection product. Would you pay more for the vehicle, collision and liability insurance or for your family groceries for the same innocuous reasons? I can see why DF is pissed off at other dealers undercutting his prices. It is more difficult to take advantage of unsuspecting Corvette owners because of the stiff competition.Evaluate the reasons he feels he is entitled to more profit, it's just a sales pitch. If they are the same warranties, they are administered elsewhere by the same rules and conditions. The person who sells it, regardless of his/ her profit level, has zero effect on how claims are paid. Anyone who believes otherwise is being naive. I just purchased through my dealer an Ally 84 mo./ 56K zero deductible extended service plan on my 2019 ZR1/ ZT A8 for $1737. GM offered me a free "goodwill" 60 mo. 60K GMEPP to resolve some paint defect issues on my ZR1. I refused the service plan because it would put me in a position of having to purchase a very expensive used car service plan at the end of the 60 months.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by ROBWILKER
I just purchased through my dealer an Ally 84 mo./ 56K zero deductible extended service plan on my 2019 ZR1/ ZT A8 for $1737. GM offered me a free "goodwill" 60 mo. 60K GMEPP to resolve some paint defect issues on my ZR1. I refused the service plan because it would put me in a position of having to purchase a very expensive used car service plan at the end of the 60 months.
Not sure of how your math works. Get the 5 year GMEPP for free or purchase the Ally plan for 7 years for $1737. I have been through that route before when my Corvette had too many miles to qualify for the 7 year plan and I had to settle for a 4 year plan followed by a 30 month extension. The extra $30 months was nowhere near as expensive as the first 4 years although it did include a $50 deductible. Not even sure why you selected the Ally plan now since you could have waited till near the end of the B2B warranty and added the 7 year plan then. Sure a little more expensive purchasing at the end of the B2B warranty but you actually get 7 years of coverage instead of 4 or 5 depending on when you purchased the Ally plan.

Bill
Old 09-06-2019, 02:59 PM
ROBWILKER
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure of how your math works. Get the 5 year GMEPP for free or purchase the Ally plan for 7 years for $1737. I have been through that route before when my Corvette had too many miles to qualify for the 7 year plan and I had to settle for a 4 year plan followed by a 30 month extension. The extra $30 months was nowhere near as expensive as the first 4 years although it did include a $50 deductible. Not even sure why you selected the Ally plan now since you could have waited till near the end of the B2B warranty and added the 7 year plan then. Sure a little more expensive purchasing at the end of the B2B warranty but you actually get 7 years of coverage instead of 4 or 5 depending on when you purchased the Ally plan.

Bill
Bill, I'll explain my math and other reasons for doing so. I was speaking in terms of my specific case without recommendation to anyone that they should do the same.First, my dealership, who I have been doing business with for the last 55 vehicles, is where I was conducting my business. Second, it was initially proposed, after a year of remediation efforts for paint defects on my 2019 ZR1, that GM provide a 7 yr., $0 deductible extended warranty for me to forego pursuing further warranty claims for the defects. I agreed to this arrangement, and much to my dismay when I received the email from GM confirming their "goodwill" resolution to this matter, I discovered the terms I had agreed to had been reduced to a 60 mo,/ 60 K mile plan. The reason I was told for the change was that they (GM) do not offer an 84 mo. plan for my vehicle. Since I plan on keeping the ZR1 quite a long time, and because it already comes with a 60 Mo./ 60 K powertrain factory warranty, I felt offended the way they handled the situation. If I accepted that, I would be put in a position of purchasing an extension (if there were no existing mechanical problems at that time.) The last time I did this, I lost two months of the new vehicle warranty and 1K miles of new vehicle coverage in addition to paying more ($2400) for an additional two years of coverage than I originally paid for the new vehicle protection plan coverage. The other option would be for me to purchase a used vehicle plan from the dealer or open market after 60 mos. I find those uncertain costs and coverage loopholes unacceptable. I have had experience with Ally plans on other Corvettes, Camaros, trucks and SUVs have and found their coverage to be as good or better than GMEPP. Also, with Ally, you do not wait 1000 miles and a month for coverage to take effect. Last May, I discussed the exclusionary mileage and periods at the beginning and at the end for an extension of GMEPP with GM representatives and they provided no legitimate reason(s) for doing this, at least in my opinion. Also, plan terms can be significantly modified with increased costs being a virtual certainty. Next, the longer one waits, and higher the existing mileage, to purchase the extended warranty plan during the bumper to bumper coverage the more expensive the the extended service contract becomes. I guess what I am saying Bill is that this is not my first time doing this. I would never be stupid and undercut myself financially or otherwise. Keep in mind GM's changed "goodwill" terms would still require me to stop pursuing the paint defect warranty claims on my new ZR1 hood. I had already planned to purchase an Ally 84 mo. extended plan before GM's proposal. I feel confident in doing so because I have been personal friends with my dealer for fifty years, I buy my plans from his F&I Manager, who is also a personal friend. I also have access to the dealer cost figures for the extended plans and I feel confident I am getting the best "fair" price anyone can get. After I have seen the sales pitches for loyalty, "working their *** off", many years of experience, and of all things being a fellow Corvette enthusiast etc., being offered as a reason for overcharging unsuspecting forum members for extended "warranty" contracts, I would never rely upon the advice of anyone else without doing the research myself. The flaw in your advice, as I see it, is that you suggested I accept the 60 mos. of GMEPP, drop thousands of dollars in potential paint defect warranty claims, then purchase the Ally 84mo. plan for the $1737.00. The Ally 84 mo., nor any other new vehicle extended mechanical protection plan, with comparable comprehensive coverage, is not available after 5 years and certainly not at the same lower cost. The expense is not what you say in your reply " Sure a little more expensive purchasing at the end of the B2B,,,,,," The cost would be, dependent on vehicle class, condition and mileage, double the cost of the initial coverage or more. The bottom line is that I feel quite comfortable with the prices I paid for MY vehicle extended coverage in my personal situation. I do appreciate your concern, experience and advice on matters in this forum and I hope that remains the same.

As a side note: Many years ago, in a former life a dealership employee, I sold the old GMPP plans. I believe in the extended warranty coverage on new vehicles and then I had a 75% penetration rate for selling the GM plans. I was successful doing this because I believed in the coverage and I sold them at fair prices. I didn't get fired for this; I was one of two people in my state GM awarded a free trip for two persons to the Super Bowl. That was Super Bowl XXIII in Miami; that's how long ago it was. I discussed with my trusted dealership friend all the experts, Gurus and critics who know what's best for everyone else and who think they have the best prices for all things automotive. All I can say is: "Do what is best and feels right for you."
Old 12-11-2019, 07:58 AM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

So is there basically just the 2 guys, Dennis and Todd, to buy an Extended Warranty from?

Have any of you bought an Extended Warranty from anybody else?

Old 12-11-2019, 01:22 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
So is there basically just the 2 guys, Dennis and Todd, to buy an Extended Warranty from?

Have any of you bought an Extended Warranty from anybody else?

Plenty of people. Almost all dealerships will sell plans. But these two are the only vetted good guys and have reasonable prices. I talked to my local dealer about buying a plan and they wanted almost 2k for the same plan Todd sold me for 900.

At 2k I wouldn't buy one.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:43 PM
The Successful Plumber
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 358 Posts

Buying a extended warranty is like you betting the money the extended warranty costs you, in the belief that your car is going to brake so badly, that it is going to cost you more than the cost of the extended warranty. I’d rather keep my money and take my chances.

Last edited by The Successful Plumber; 12-11-2019 at 10:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (12-12-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 10:35 PM
RWDonly
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by The Successful Plumber
Buying a extended warranty is like you betting the money the extended warranty costs you, in the belief that your car is going to brake so badly, that it is going to cost your more than the cost of the extended warranty. I’d rather keep my money and take my chances.
I generally don’t opt to buy extended warranties either (fortunately the previous owner of my C7 already purchased an extended warranty that I was able to transfer)... but at the $1,000 or less that many on this forum reported having paid for their extended warranties, it wouldn’t take a very “bad break” for that warranty to pay for itself.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by The Successful Plumber
Buying a extended warranty is like you betting the money the extended warranty costs you, in the belief that your car is going to brake so badly, that it is going to cost you more than the cost of the extended warranty. I’d rather keep my money and take my chances.
Normally I agree with you. But cars today, especially corvettes, are basically computers. And any given control module already nears 1k in just the parts themselves. 1k for 5 years of protection, I can live with that. You will pay more in car insurance. Even your registration fees are more expensive.

If this was a mustang or outback, I wouldn't do it.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:29 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Dennis Fichtner
I guess I have had enough of people undercutting my prices for warranties. I work every day for this forum community to dig into and answer questions about concerns they have, the last being the do it yourself maintenance which I went right to the source of my GM rep for warranties and also right to A.M.T. the administrator of the plan itself and I got the answer.

I don't see any of these other guys working for anyone on the forum other than undercutting and giving away a warranty. I state in my letter to everyone I will match or beat anyone but I am not able to sell a warranty for a loss or $50 profit when I also eat a credit card fee of $25-$50 per transaction. Everyone is entitled to this business but please consider what I have done for this forum for 16 years now. I guess I am a little upset but such is life and competition is not a bad thing unless it is just stupidity on someone's part. I am working towards possibly getting back into California so stay tuned for that one, that really hurt loosing about 40 warranties a month minimum.

Next time anyone talks with this Todd ask him about the in depth workings of this warranty and if he even owns a Corvette, I am on #12. I live and eat this forum and I think most of my friends(not customers) agree I work my tail off for each and every one of you. I believe everyone is entitled to a fair profit on cars, trucks, warranties, etc but again I am limited by management as to what I have to make on each warranty. I could sell them for no profit all day long but it would only be one day and I wouldn't be here tomorrow.

Enough of the rambling, hopefully some of my great customers will chime in and comment on how they have been treated for 16 years now, some of them have purchased 10-15 warranties from me and I am now serving their kids and grandkids.
I will chime in to say you and many years ago Ken F have sold me terrific warranties at terrific prices with excellent assistance when choosing which one to buy. I will be contacting you again in late 2020 to extend the warranty on my 2019 Z06 purchased 4/19.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:56 PM
airforcex
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

No.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extended Warranty or not