Sponsored by:

Do your own maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Six Corvette - approaching 800,000 miles over 29 years this month - always dealer serviced = zero complaints: Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Florida, New Mexico, Oregon, Virginia, West Virginia, Tennessee, Washington State....
Originally Posted by Zjoe6

I think I’ve seen you post this a few times. Either you’re really good at picking dealers or very lucky. This is not the norm.
One thing that helps me is I'm not some Corvette-owning jackass with a sense of entitlement. Word gets around quickly in a dealership if the customer is an _Adam Henry. My Corvette, like my Ferrari, is just a car.

Last edited by 4thC4at60; 02-05-2019 at 01:27 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 02-05-2019, 05:57 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by sTz
I generally perform my own maintenance, and save the receipts, but I’ve never experienced a situation where I needed to show them for warranty matters. Oil changes are probably the most popular, but rarely do modern engines fail during the warranty period. If there is a catastrophic failure, it’s typically unrelated... but certainly good to maintain records just in case.
Same as above for me, too. I keep a database of everything I do to the car, even fluid-level checks, and keep receipts in an orderly manner where I can put my hands on any one of them in a few minutes. I've never been asked for evidence of maintenance but I'm ready if I am.
Old 02-05-2019, 10:11 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Frodo
I do my own maintenance and in addition to receipts from the parts store I always take pictures of the odometer, the new oil and filter sitting on the engine with the date written on the containers with a Sharpie, and a picture of the date and time displayed on my TV. I guess one could also include pictures of the old oil flowing out and the old filter sitting beside the old oil. If they want documentation I can give them plenty. A simple receipt doesn't mean you actually put the oil in the car, just that you bought some. You might haver taken it back for a refund or put it in another car. This won't necessarily get you by a policy rule that requires a shop receipt but it should improve your chances as an owner doing his own work.
You could go a step further and take the photos of the odometer, oil, and filter with the daily newspaper in the shot...
Old 02-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Dennis Fichtner
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 80 Posts

RichieRichZ06 has pretty much covered everything in this post, he is a parts & Service director at a big store in Rio Vista, Ca and sells lots of these plans as I do in all states but his so I reiterate what he states throughout. Why chance not getting something covered especially an engine just for the price of an oil change.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:32 PM
eseibel67
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 108 Posts

No pre-apprentice is going to change my oil for free. Let him hang all of his 140 foot pounds on someone elses drain plug.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:12 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Fichtner
RichieRichZ06 has pretty much covered everything in this post, he is a parts & Service director at a big store in Rio Vista, Ca and sells lots of these plans as I do in all states but his so I reiterate what he states throughout. Why chance not getting something covered especially an engine just for the price of an oil change.
My 2016 ZO6 B-to-B warranty expires in May, and I have fully intended to buy one of your plans. However, this wrinkle will probably cause me not to buy. I do all my own simple maintenance and sooner than factory intervals, but have not kept all reciepts for supplies. I don't want my local dealer touching my car unless I can't do something myself. My selling dealer (Coughlin/Conti) I trust much more, but they are 250 miles away.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Received 754 Likes on 394 Posts

I agree. There is a much higher chance that I will have a problem due to a dealer's mistake than if I do my own maintenance. I keep my receipts, take pictures and keep a log. In a previous post Dennis said that was more than sufficient. I have a plan from Dennis and recommended him to others that have purchased plans from him and this isn't making me feel like I made a good decision. If I lived near a dealer that did a lot of Corvette work and had a good reputation things might be different, but I don't. The price of an oil change isn't the reason I perform my own maintenance. I also change my transmission, differential and coolant fluids. I've never had an issue and I have changed my oil since I was 16. I did take one of my DD to the dealer for an oil change and they forgot to put oil in the car. I made it out of their parking lot before I realized and shut it down immediately. It had never burned a drop of oil to that point, afterward I had to add oil every 1000 miles and the dealer said that was normal.

Last edited by George_L; 02-06-2019 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:14 AM
Frosty
Burning Brakes

Received 247 Likes on 155 Posts

I enter everything that I do in My Chevrolet.com under maintenance and keep my receipts.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:18 AM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Frosty
I enter everything that I do in My Chevrolet.com under maintenance and keep my receipts.
I also enter records into MyChevy.com and into Carfax.com.

Last edited by George_L; 02-07-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 AM
LarryFL
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by George_L
I also enter records into MyChevy.com and into Carfax.com.
How does one enter their OWN records into CarFax? I want in on that
Old 02-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

In addition to saving all of the receipts for oil and filter, and writing down the mileage/date into a logbook, I also get a used oil analysis done on every oil change in my C7. So that's another piece of evidence that could be presented to a dealer if they question how often I have been changing my oil.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:18 PM
N875ED
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I perform all maintenance on my airplane, and the FAA requires log books for the airframe, engine and propeller. My approach to C7 maintenance is similar...create a log entry for each task performed, including receipts, dates, mileage, work performed along with a few photos documenting the effort. I can't imagine anyone (insurers) would argue with those. Overwhelm them with data!
The following users liked this post:
fnbrowning (02-10-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
George_L
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LarryFL
How does one enter their OWN records into CarFax? I want in on that
When I was looking for my car I created an account and paid for several CarFax reports. After I purchased the car I logged into the account and added my car. My access to the reports had expired. Now, after logging in, I click on the maintenance tab and it has a link to add service. After entering the service date and mileage it asks for the shop name but up above it has a link for self service. Then you search on a service and add it along with any "Personal Notes". You can also upload a receipt but it has to be in jpeg form. Mine are all in pdf format so I have not tried that function. Eventually I'll convert my receipts to jpg and upload them. You can edit your service at any time. I don't know if you can just create an account and add all of the necessary info or not. I also don't know exactly what a potential buyer will see. I assume he will see everything except the personal notes.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:34 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Fichtner
Haven't you been here long enough to read the dealership oil change horror stories?
> Do you pay any attention to the multiple stores of Z51 dry sump oil change errors at Chevy dealerships?
> Do you not understand that most dealerships don't put the A team mechanics on oil change detail?
> Are you aware of the arguments forum members here have had with dealerships to get the recommended Mobil 1 oil used in the oil change?
> Do you understand that a number of us do oil analysis on our motor oils, and we can and do choose engine oils that exceed the General Motors fil oil for viscosity, detergency, and wear resistance?

I'm interested in your answers to a few of these questions.
The following users liked this post:
Frosty (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:34 AM
LimeyC5
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 72 Posts

For the life of me, I cannot understand why more dealerships don't do what my local dealer does: the Corvette tech runs his own appointment book, is the only one to drive customers' cars, even from the check-in line and back again. He has two service bays to himself, has his own supply of Mobil 1 of the appropriate grades, and welcomes calls on his cell phone. The only time I interact with the dealership proper is at the check-in and check-out and to make any payments. Effectively he has a business within a business.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by eseibel67
No pre-apprentice is going to change my oil for free. Let him hang all of his 140 foot pounds on someone elses drain plug.
And if somebody actually does that they will cover the repair. However, if you actually screw up the same thing due to what ever reason (and screw ups do happen especially if you are distracted for an instance) you pay for the repair. Not worth doing for one oil change per year that lets the service department see the car while doing the oil change. The oil change may cost twice what it would cost me if I did it myself but that again is only once per year and I don't have to get rid of 10 quarts of oil after the oil change is done.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
4thC4at60 (02-11-2019), Carvin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:25 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,921 Likes on 1,302 Posts

$58.00 at the dealership I've used for more than 20 years.... Corvette tech is a friend for 30.....

Get notified of new replies

To Do your own maintenance?

Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryFL
Great responses so far. My reason for the thread is to see if anyone ever had actual push back when making a claim against power-train or GMEPP warranties.

As far as protecting from warranty disputes, I like some of the ideas above. I don't think its a bad idea to just take pictures of your receipts. As long as the quantity, viscosity, date and your name are on a series of receipts, you are pretty safe. They would have to argue that you took all the time to buy the right oil at the right intervals and take the pictures, and after all that, didn't bother to actually put it in your car. Not a strong argument.
Never had a dealer change oil in my 5 Vettes starting with an '88. Yep there were 4 free ones with my 2014 Z51 (not 5 as that GM bulletin saying change the factory oil fill at 500 miles until 13 months after I got my C7 Z51!) Also 3 "free" with my Grand Sport but for a number of reasons I'd rather do it myself and know it's done right.

Always kept my own log dated and initialed by me in the Owner's Manual for oil changes, Clutch/Brake fluid changes (Ranger method now for Clutch,) air and cabin filters. With the C7 have started to keep my oil receipts as no longer have to send them into Mobil to get the $12 rebate/5 quart jug. Use only the proper AC filter and have original dated receipts for those, just submit on their website.

Have had GM pay for a broken clutch plate and more recently reimbursed me for an AC condenser in my C6 that had a hole, which could be caused by a rock per GM rules. Showed (with a short report including pic) that it failed from the inside 6 months after I bought the Vette new and was reimbursed the full $800 I paid. I suggested they could look at the failed condenser to validate what I found but was just given a check by the Chevy dealer after the local GM service manager agreed with my analysis.

Had not had a failure of anything requiring a look at my log or receipts.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,148 Likes on 2,248 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06
GM is OK with customers doing their own maintenance and keeping receipts while under factory bumper to bumper or power train warranty. GMEPP and nearly every other EPP will not allow owners to do their own maintenance and most have the requirement for a shop to perform maintenance in the contract. I've had several "close calls" with various EPP companies that either denied or came very close to denying a large claim due to lack of maintenance receipts. Usually they want a shop (doesn't have to be a dealer) to perform the maintenance and record the date, mileage, VIN and part numbers for filters/fluids used.

IMO it's not worth taking the risk of a claim being denied to change your own oil if you have an extended warranty.
Sorry but that is simply NOT TRUE. I just reread my GM extended warranty and it states the following.

“Properly Maintain Your Vehicle and KEEP THE RECEIPTS – Keep copies of all receipts (oil changes, lubrication, etc.), as proof of maintenance MAY be required when you file a claim.”

So doing your own maintenance is not a problem just keep the receipts. On my receipts I also make not of the mileage.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 02-11-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 PM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
You could go a step further and take the photos of the odometer, oil, and filter with the daily newspaper in the shot...
I believe when you take photos with your phone these days the date is recorded. So when you view the photo you can also view the properties of the photo which will show the date the picture was taken.

Quick Reply: Do your own maintenance?