Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's with all the M7's for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 06:15 PM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

I'm looking for a late model M7 vert and having a hard time finding what I want...
Old 02-08-2019, 06:36 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
I just counted Grand Sport Coupes and 23 out of 60 were M7s. That is what I looked at the other day, their big seller (as well as GMs.).

They had no Z51s as they have not had for a few years. Today the Grand Sport is preferred for not much more money if you want MRC.

Of the base car, 17 M7s out of 44. Again over 35% much more than they had in the past.

Didn’t look at Verts or Z06.
It's not so much that the Grand Sport is preferred over the Z51, it's that the technically uninformed new buyer thinks that's the one they want. And since the dealer can sell a higher priced, higher margins car, they're happy to oblige that uninformed market. It's also why so many of em are 1LTs, the market is tapped out financially after spending $11,000.00 more on the GS. An M7, only saves these people what, $1,800.00? If they're buying the M7, it's because they DON'T want the auto. Market driven stock @ Kerbeck Chev.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:39 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by naylor99
I'm looking for a late model M7 vert and having a hard time finding what I want...
The Internet should uncover a lot of em. Especially used ones. Pick up a nice used M7 Z06 vert! Tons of em were online when I was shopping used C7s!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 PM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The Internet should uncover a lot of em. Especially used ones. Pick up a nice used M7 Z06 vert! Tons of em were online when I was shopping used C7s!
Lots of Z06s, and a number of GSs, lots of Yellow Vettes, Very few 2LT M7 Stingrays with NPP and MSRC... I'm sure I will find one. I will get serious about it in late March. If I get too impatient I can order one...but don't really want to spend that much $$$.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by naylor99
Very few 2LT M7 Stingrays with NPP and MSRC..
Prolly why mine sold so fast last August!
Old 02-08-2019, 09:37 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,688 Likes on 5,590 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
It's not so much that the Grand Sport is preferred over the Z51, it's that the technically uninformed new buyer thinks that's the one they want. And since the dealer can sell a higher priced, higher margins car, they're happy to oblige that uninformed market. It's also why so many of em are 1LTs, the market is tapped out financially after spending $11,000.00 more on the GS. An M7, only saves these people what, $1,800.00? If they're buying the M7, it's because they DON'T want the auto. Market driven stock @ Kerbeck Chev.
Your comment sounds as though it's coming from a technically uninformed not so new buyer.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:43 PM
OneFastVette19
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 46 Posts

When I was looking over the summer for my C7 I had such a hard time finding a M7 in dealers inventory. Ended
up ordering my car as chrome wheels with a M7 seemed to be impossible to find lol.
The following users liked this post:
Outlaw Joe (02-24-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 10:56 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvet6
I disagree. My experience has been just the opposite. YMMV.
It’s okay to disagree. However manuals are rare these days so that would be the reason. Our other vehicles are all autos. As well as my parents, my sister and in-laws.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:24 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastVette19
When I was looking over the summer for my C7 I had such a hard time finding a M7 in dealers inventory. Ended up ordering my car as chrome wheels with a M7 seemed to be impossible to find lol.
Not new. When I bought my 1st Vette, a 1988, it was ordered (as were all 5) because no way would I find the combo of HD features, colors, transmission, wheels etc I want. After negotiating with the local dealer sales manager he said, I'll have to ask for a non refundable $2000 as I could not sell a standard shift around here if for whatever reason you don't want it when it comes in.. Thought it was strange but no problem for me.

When I brought it to work my youngest product manager, who had a 1984 Vette, looked inside and said jokingly, "Too cheap to get an automatic?" I chuckled to myself and didn't even tell him that Doug Nash 4 speed with a two speed overdrive activated with a button on top of the shift **** was the same price as an automatic. He would not understand that this old gearhead has never had other than a standard shift for my DD now in 60 years of driving!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-08-2019 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:07 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

^^^^ He's looking for a late model USED C7.

Were I not looking for a NEW one, I'd have likey settled on a used Z06, equipped with everything that I bought new for -$20K less!
Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 AM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

I was told by a dealer friend they get many Z06 manual transmission cars back. Comment from the unprepared drivers is basically: “That car tried to kill me”.

Insert comments about:

1) Should have to pick up car after mandatory Spring Mountain session
2] Cars should ship with A/S 3+ tires with optional order for track tires on separate wheels

I let my brither drive the ZR1. At the first stop light the rear broke loose. We damn near slid into car next to us. I explained “You must warm up these tires”. He finally understood.

So I would say 20% of the buyers are totally unprepared for Z06 and ZR1. They take it out the first time and say “Oh ****”.

That be why so many are for sale.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:47 AM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I would have gotten a '17 M7, but I had to consider an additional driver, who could drive a manual, but didn't like having to use the clutch to shift.
I'm a fan of motorsports and have been watching as super high performance driving associations have gone to paddle shifting.
My thought was, as I was ordering my GS when the question was posed, "manual or automatic?", "I guess if it's good enough for Formula 1, maybe I should check it out". What I found out was/is I could NEVER shift as fast with a stick and clutch pedal as I can with the paddles. It's a new technology that's IMO better and faster than the old. If you drive around a track in auto mode then try to match or outdo the auto time in manual using the paddles lap after lap, you quickly find out how slow your brain to hand reaction time is.
It's a new system, (like a new computer OS), and IMO it takes time and skill to master. (Not to mention mastering the reliability of such a sophisticated consumer mechanical system, don't want to go into that now, cause my A8 is good KOW).
So anyway, maybe now one reason or part of the reason there are a lot of M7's available is because people are discovering they can shift faster with an automatic Just look at how slow the emoji is shifting!!

Sly

Last edited by Groovepusher Sly; 02-09-2019 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:10 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Hmm, having 2 C7s both M7s when they were hard to find I stock I found this an interesting and relevant Thread.

However I find some posts on even great Threads- useless!
About as relevant as someone noticing that a majority of Vettes for sale in a certain publication were white. Why are so many White Vette owners selling them?
Old 02-09-2019, 08:27 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

My millennial status might be in play here but I don't get the point of a manual. My corvette is an automatic and I've never got comments one way or the other.

Now a days autos are faster.
When I'm driving (DC area) I would be exhausted from driving. I've driven a car with a manual, no power brakes, and no power steering. It's stressful.
It feels fun for a few hours on the weekend but then just gets boring and tedious for driving all the time.

As for power windows who needs them. My 85 S-10 is just fine with out them.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 02-09-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:32 AM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,193 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingbunnys
My millennial status might be in play here but I don't get the point of a manual. My corvette is an automatic and I've never got comments one way or the other.

Now a days autos are faster.
When I'm driving (DC area) I would be exhausted from driving. I've driven a car with a manual, no power brakes, and no power steering. It's stressful.
It feels fun for a few hours on the weekend but then just gets boring and tedious for driving all the time.

As for power windows who needs them. My 85 S-10 is just fine with out them.
For many of us the Corvette is a toy and supposed to be fun. I personally enjoy driving my M7. The auto is completely boring and not fulfilling for me. All of our other vehicles are auto so I drive them to get from point A to B.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Judgment Day
Burning Brakes

Received 218 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by OneFastVette19
When I was looking over the summer for my C7 I had such a hard time finding a M7 in dealers inventory. Ended
up ordering my car as chrome wheels with a M7 seemed to be impossible to find lol.
That's the route I went; ordering. It's always nice to see a C7 when you're at the dealership, but I figure for that price, you might as well get exactly what you want (barring any manufacturing parts shortages/outages). Once I found out that my dealer could allocate an order, I pulled the trigger, which was almost 2 years ago. Though the Grand Sport CEs that I saw were tempting, I went forward with the original plan. But that's my situation - I can't speak for others.

Originally Posted by ricks327
Too funny! Amazing how we can get use to all of the convenience/luxury items on our new cars that are standard.
It'd be crazy if the C7 had roll up windows...! I should joke around and bring that up to my dealer the next time I get my Grand Sport serviced. On the flip side, C7 still has AM radio. So there's that at least.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Try finding a M7 vert in a dealers lot. Few and far between.

I ended up buying a used z51 M7 coupe. When I want to go top down I just drag out the old Miata

Get notified of new replies

To What's with all the M7's for sale?

Old 02-09-2019, 07:14 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

Originally Posted by spinkick
More enthusiasts prefer m7 and are more likely to post on a corvette forum so you see a disproportionate amount of cars for sale on here?
Another delirious M7 owner, no doubt. I just love some of these posts.
The following users liked this post:
hummiscorvettetaken (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
In 2014 autos made up 64% of the total C7 sold. Not sure about other years. Compared to vehicles in general this is huge percentage of manuals... because race car. Overall in the auto industry 97% sold in the USA are autos. This doesn't explain the listings but autos don't completely dominate the C7 landscape.
Not sure what you mean by the term "... because race car". Is there a word or words missing here?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:19 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by hummiscorvettetaken
Or, I'm sure there are others out there like myself, that prefer the best of both worlds? When I feel like having the manual experience I take out my 4spd 59 C1 - when I just want to sit back and cruise or drive in the city then the C7 auto fits that need fine. There is no right or wrong answer to why some owners have M7 and some A8.
I don't think that was the original poster's question. He wanted to know why there seemed a disproportionate number for sale that were M7 not who prefers an auto to a M7.

Quick Reply: What's with all the M7's for sale?