Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumped a curve - Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:03 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,232 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JerryU
Side skirts are a good suggestion as I would not drive a C7 without them.

But suggest buying a filler designed for composites. Then sand and paint, then add side skirts! This is my 2014 that I added full length side skirts. Protected the rockers from rocks thrown by the from front tires.

PS: If you're not a DIY person, look for a body shop who will fix by filling and painting just that section of the rockers. They could install the side skirts for you as well.
I agree. I would get it fixed as it would bother me knowing that it was there. A repair combined with side skirts is a good solution.
The following users liked this post:
w0rM (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 06:57 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by w0rM
Thanks for all the advice. Super helpful.

I'm going to do some research on doing basic repair myself and probably add side skirts. Personally, I like the look of the side skirts. There actually are some aerodynamic benefits even for the narrow body design. It preserves some of the down force that's created by the car.
FWIW this is a PDF on the side skirt install on my 2014 Z51: http://netwelding.com/Side_Skirts.pdf

May find some useful tips.
w0rM (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 07:05 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 4thC4at60
Every car I've ever owned, other than the Ferrari, is a depreciating asset.... I just drive 'em, maintain 'em, and let the trade or sale fall where it may..... obviously your mileage varies...
Yep, before "I got up in age" I kept some cars but now I find it's easier not to deal with potential problems and I get a good price when I sell on my own when 4/5 years old.

I have kept my street rod now for 18 years as I can work on that carbureted engine! It only has a few microprocessors (digital dash, remote doors/windows, alarm system, remote sound system controls) that don't control how it runs!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:15 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

RPI Stage One for a subtle side skirt:

w0rM (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 11:03 AM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Yep, before "I got up in age" I kept some cars but now I find it's easier not to deal with potential problems and I get a good price when I sell on my own when 4/5 years old.

I have kept my street rod now for 18 years as I can work on that carbureted engine! It only has a few microprocessors (digital dash, remote doors/windows, alarm system, remote sound system controls) that don't control how it runs!
My Ferrari is old tech - but I choose not to work on it. Got a really great tech who charges reasonable hourly rates - $75.00. Biggest problem with a limited production _old_ car is parts..... sigh...

How old are you Jerry? I'm 77.

Joel
Old 02-10-2019, 11:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hi Joe, 76 but as I say, "going on 19 when I get in the Vette!"

In SC we have a Property tax on cars, mine last year for the 1 year old GS was $1300! Now if I had a $10,000,000 Ferrari 330P4 (if you could buy one) it would cost nothing! Nor would a 1985 512BB as once it's 25 years old and there is no Black Book price published the cost is zero!

Recall I was working in Danbury CT in 1985 and there was a shop with several 512BB's outside. Turned out he was taking Gray market cars and getting them to pass emissions and US regs. Started chatting and he was very pleasant until I asked if he would sell just the intake and exhaust he was using! At the time looked like a car to own but had an overseas friend with one and it was a maintenance headache!

FWIW our SC sales tax on cars was just raised but it's only $500 max. So they key when I buy my C8 is timing. If I get it just after I pay the tax for the year on the 2017 and transfer plates, I can use that tax for the year and then pay on a depreciated 1 year old C8 the following!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-10-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:53 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,301 Posts

^^^
Hi Joe, 76 but as I say, "going on 19 when I get in the Vette!"

In SC we have a Property tax on cars, mine last year for the 1 year old GS was $1300! Now if I had a $10,000,000 Ferrari 330P4 (if you could buy one) it would cost nothing! Nor would a 1985 512BB as once it's 25 years old and there is no Black Book price published the cost is zero!

Recall I was working in Danbury CT in 1985 and there was a shop with several 512BB's outside. Turned out he was taking Gray market cars and getting them to pass emissions and US regs. Started chatting and he was very pleasant until I asked if he would sell just the intake and exhaust he was using! At the time looked like a car to own but had an overseas friend with one and it was a maintenance headache!

FWIW our SC sales tax on cars was just raised but it's only $500 max. So they key when I buy my C8 is timing. If I get it just after I pay the tax for the year on the 2017 and transfer plates, I can use that tax for the year and then pay on a depreciated 1 year old C8 the following!

Biggest problem with Ferraris is people don't drive them.... the things LOVE to be driven.....and they like to be driven hard. They're really not all that finicky when driven.

It's like many cars that don't like to sit. Stuff dries out, gets hard, sometimes leaks - starting, etc. Most of the time mine is as dependable as a Toyota. Go to the garage, hit the key, it goes brrrrmmmmm (nothing like a Tubi exhaust in the morning!).... fuel mileage is about 20 on highway - but in '88 who worried about mileage? And, too, never owned a car before that appreciated while driving it.

I've enjoyed all my Vettes: C1, C4, C6, C7 (and a lot of seat miles in C5s).... but for sheer fun over the years the cars were: MGTF '54, Porsche 356C, and the F-car..... general rule of thumb: need a trunk for a trip? C7. Don't need the trunk? 328....long trip? C7 - medium to short trip? 328....

The Ferrari is a hands on car. It's old tech, twitch the wheel it's going in that direction... road feel is marvelous.... wanted a Ferrari for 60 years.... worth the wait, but wish I'd done it years earlier....
JerryU (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 03:00 PM
Mayor111
Melting Slicks

Received 1,950 Likes on 937 Posts

My buddy had a worse scrape on the same area of his car - you needed to be on the ground to "see" it...but he got some GM touch up paint, we sanded it somewhat flatter, and here are the before and after shots - is it perfect - nope, but it's basically under the car and honestly, you'd have to search to even find it now:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
The following 4 users liked this post by Mayor111:
Foosh (02-10-2019), owc6 (02-10-2019), V Vette (02-11-2019), w0rM (02-10-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 08:07 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,880 Posts

Excellent ^^^^ fix and advise.
V Vette (02-11-2019)
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM
w0rM
Pro

Received 336 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Run over a curb with the drivers side so it matches.
Originally Posted by Mayor111
My buddy had a worse scrape on the same area of his car - you needed to be on the ground to "see" it...but he got some GM touch up paint, we sanded it somewhat flatter, and here are the before and after shots - is it perfect - nope, but it's basically under the car and honestly, you'd have to search to even find it now:

BEFORE:

AFTER:
I'm kind of surprised at how good that looks. Nice job and thank you!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Mr.owc6 curbed our 2005 on the right rocker panel, and all I did to it was touch it up. You couldn't see it even after you bent down and knew where to look.

After someone wiped out the left side in a parking lot, we finally had it "fixed." $350 (our responsibility ) added to the body shop bill (to the other guy's insurance company).

It was never visible unless you got on your knees, so had we not gotten hit, it would have never been fixed, and no one would have ever known.
w0rM (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:13 AM
krwunlv
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dork
I was a professional painter. My c7 is black, because I bought it used. Ifn I could have afforded to buy it new, black woulda been my second-to-last choice over white. But the painter in me makes me OCD. So... here's my advice. If that was my car, I'd choose one of two methods to "repair" it myself:

1) Clean the entire lower portion of the rocker panel with a light rubbing compound. Clean that with a good car wash soap. Dry.

2) I'd go to an auto paint supply house and purchase a roll of 1" and 2" masking tape.

3*) I'd meticulously mask as closely as I could to the specific damage areas so that I could paint just the damages and the area BELOW the body line that runs just below the horizontal door seam. 1" tape to butt "exactly" against the damages, 2" tape to meld the 1" masking tape high enough to cover the rocker panel. If you understand and performed what I've written to this point, you should have the damages exposed but bordered with 1" tape and 2" tape overlapping the 1" tape so that you've got ~2-1/2" masked border above your damages. Stripe another layer or two of 2" tape so that the entire rocker panel is covered. Then mask from wheel to wheel with paper and cover all the entire lower (from about below the knee) panels from wheel to wheel.

Then (because hopefully your pictures show a black car) I'd spray the entire area with a can of gloss black paint. Spray sparingly; EXACTLY when you can't see the white fiberglass from any angle, you're done. (If you spray too much, you'll build a paint edge that might bother you.

Give your psyche a month of looking at this repair. If you can live with it, you're done for not much money. If you can't, take the car to a pro and pay the freight.

There's a second way to "blend" the repair so's a paint edge might not build up... substitute this method for #3* :

3b) Buy the narrowest roll of masking paper available. It's been a loong time since I was in the bidness--I think 9" was the narrowest available in my time... whatever is cheapest will work; even butcher paper, wax paper, aluminum foil, etc., but masking paper is the accepted norm... use one LOONG piece of paper that will run from wheel to wheel--run a strip of 2" tape along the edge of the paper so that you have 2" tape on paper with exposed tape that you can stick to the car. Now, sticky side against the car, tape side HIGHER, paper side lower, stick the 2" tape along the horizontal body line below the door seam--so that the paper hangs down and covers the damaged area when you're through applying the 2" taped edge to the car. If you've done this correctly, the 2" edge will run the length of the body line. Starting from the left, lift the paper just enough so it curls back to the door panel and use a 3-4" strip of 1" tape to tape the paper to the door. Move ~12" to the right and repeat, over and over until you get to the rear wheelwell. The goal is to have the 2" tape "roll" down from the horizontal body line and then back up towards the door--this way, you won't creat a sharp edge where the painting stops. After you've rolled the paper and taped it to the door panel, use more paper and paper farther up the fender, door, and quarter panel, to guarantee that as you spray "up" from below, you don't overspray the panels. You'll have to cover at least 2 feet of paneling--to about door handle height. If you understand and performed what I've written to this point, you should have the entire rocker panel exposed but bordered along that lowest body line so that you've got ~2-12" masked border rolled along the body line. Now you can feel free to spray with the same goal--stop as soon as you don't see white fiberglass. However, this method of masking will help reduce the possibility of a sharp and built-up paint edge. The disadvantage is, you'll be spraying your canned paint on undamaged virgin paneling.

Either way, give yourself a month or so and figure out if you're satisfied. If not, take it to a pro.
This guy! Nice write up man.

As everyone has said, even if you cant see it and it doesn't bother you, moisture will start to seep in and possibly swell causing more issues. Seal it up as best you can (above) and even put some skirts on it to really give it that extra protection and add to the look.
w0rM (02-11-2019)

Quick Reply: Jumped a curve - Need advice