Race Director

Received 5,202 Likes on 3,451 Posts

No pressure washers on cars, thank you.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
what the heck are you guys getting on your car that an electric pressure washer can't handle? And why are you using pressure instead of soap and rag to wash your car?
OK. This is theory, mind you, but the idea is to not touch the car at all. The foam gun approach covers the car in this special soap and is supposed to emulsify the dirt to the point that it falls off. Rinse to complete the job and blow dry with something like the Air Force Master Blaster. That is, of course, a considerable amount of extra money for all that equipment compared to a hose and a rag. Now, in practice it's not that easy. If your car isn't very dirty, it will work fine, but if you have encountered some serious road grime you will have to touch the car (gasp!) with a more standard mitt. And if time is of the essence, the foam gun approach takes a lot longer with all the set up of hoses and stuff. That's been my experience.
The following users liked this post:
blkvet6 (02-11-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 05:11 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
OK. This is theory, mind you, but the idea is to not touch the car at all. The foam gun approach covers the car in this special soap and is supposed to emulsify the dirt to the point that it falls off. Rinse to complete the job and blow dry with something like the Air Force Master Blaster. That is, of course, a considerable amount of extra money for all that equipment compared to a hose and a rag. Now, in practice it's not that easy. If your car isn't very dirty, it will work fine, but if you have encountered some serious road grime you will have to touch the car (gasp!) with a more standard mitt. And if time is of the essence, the foam gun approach takes a lot longer with all the set up of hoses and stuff. That's been my experience.
I'm not sure that soap and rinse actually takes all the dirt off. The foam "surrounds" the dirt so it doesn't put swirl marks in your paint. That's the general idea. I don't think the idea was foam and rinse. It certainly doesn't work for me and I even have ceramic coating. Most of the dirt does come off with light pressure washing though.

It takes me 30 min start to finish to rinse the car with pressure washer (which takes off most of the dirt). Then I foam cannon and wipe with the microfiber mitten things. Then I rinse with pressure washer and dry it. It took me 35 min this morning for all that (I was watching the time because I had a meeting). That included clean up, though everything is right there in my garage.

I guess it's faster if you just put soap in a bucket, but that's how you get swirl marks.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:11 AM
James Dean
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
I'm not sure that soap and rinse actually takes all the dirt off. The foam "surrounds" the dirt so it doesn't put swirl marks in your paint. That's the general idea. I don't think the idea was foam and rinse. It certainly doesn't work for me and I even have ceramic coating. Most of the dirt does come off with light pressure washing though.

It takes me 30 min start to finish to rinse the car with pressure washer (which takes off most of the dirt). Then I foam cannon and wipe with the microfiber mitten things. Then I rinse with pressure washer and dry it. It took me 35 min this morning for all that (I was watching the time because I had a meeting). That included clean up, though everything is right there in my garage.

I guess it's faster if you just put soap in a bucket, but that's how you get swirl marks.
Really the foam is just used to help add a lubrication to your paint and aid in not scratching the surface. Using the two bucket method, microfiber mitts, and the back-forth (no karate kid stuff) you lower the chances of paint damage.

While I haven't had my C7 long enough to wash it, the principals apply to every other car too. I go a bit further and use an electric blower to help get water out of areas and minimize drying contact. Then using a pluffle towel I do the glass, then body top down to the lower portion. Then I do the bumpers, and finally the lower portions. Even without a coating I don't add many if any swirl marks. The right coating can make it so you don't even need to really hand dry the car.

Just blow it off, spray some coating aid and wipe dry-ish.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:34 AM
51 stovebolt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I went electric (Greenworks) perfect for a car. If you need a high pressure gas powered washer for your car you may want to rethink how you are cleaning it. The deciding factor for me is ease of use, I don't wash it that often (not driven much) so it will take longer to get the damn gas powered running than it will to wash the car. Gas setting too long etc.. not worth the hassle if you ask me.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I normally take the Z to a local "Do-It-Yourself" Car Wash and drop in 10-12 quarters in for 10 minutes worth of time.

Since I do not drive in inclement weather or any days with a forecast of rain, the dust/dirt is very light.

I start out using the pre-soak on everything and do two passes.

My second step is to "rinse" the pre-soak solution off only using the Clearcoat Protectant.

Third and final step is rinsing off the Clearcoat Protectant with the "Spot-free Rinse."

Been doing this since purchased 5 years ago and I rarely, if ever, have to put a soapy wash mit on the car.

However, every 90 days or so, I will.

Z looks great. It's the damn dust that gets in underneath the garage door that irks me and I am too lazy to cover it with an indoor car cover.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 AM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't use either. Everything is done by hand ONLY. Soft pad, car wash soap, and elbow grease, I love it.
Been doing it this way for 50 years.....
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM
BudgetPlan1
Le Mans Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 608 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Don't mess with an electric pressure washer. You will regret it.
Buy a gas engine pressure washer.
I have yet to find the SunJoe SPX300X come up wanting. 2030psi @ 1.76 GPM.

For a foam cannon, psi takes a backseat to gpm anyway; with the right orifice (1.1 for that flow rate) the MTM PF22 does just fine.

As for the PSI I'm shooting at bodywork, 2030psi is plenty.

Rinse, foam, rinse, bucket wash, flood rinse, air dry. For your driveway guy, no need for gas-powered King Kong psi if all yer using it for is cars.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 PM
mitchydkid
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 85 Posts

I started with a gas pressure washer. I just knew I needed the power and no puny electric toy was going to handle my demanding needs. The thing did a great job, but fiddling with gas was a bit of a pain. Then, the damn tires rotted and popped. I bought new tires. Then the thing stopped running. I rebuilt the carburetor and it STILL did not run. I replaced the carburetor and now it will run for 10 seconds. I need to learn how to tune small engines.

So, I bought a SunJoe SPC300X. This thing makes PLENTY of foam and that is all I want it for. No way I'm going to use a pressure washer to BLAST the dirt on my car further into the paint. My electric PW sets up fast, works every time, does a great job, etc...

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
BudgetPlan1 (02-14-2019)

Quick Reply: Electric Pressure Washer