Sponsored by:

Mice in the car

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 12:31 PM
Jibber82
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mice in the car

I purchased a beautiful 2016 Z06 this past November drove it once and put it up for the winter in my garage (I live in NH). I put Irish Spring soap chunks zip tied inside dryer sheets on top of each tire and inside the car on the floor mats as mouse repellent. Yesterday I noticed one of the dryer sheets was lying on the garage floor under the car but there was no soap. So I pulled the cover off and checked inside the car. Sure enough those little bastards had gotten inside the car and ate the soap on the floor mats too and left some droppings. So then I popped the hood and sitting right on top of the engine cover was a big chunk of Irish Spring covered in chew marks along with some acorn shells. Upon closer inspection with a flash light I also found a nest right up against the firewall. The nest was mostly made up of some blue cotton like material. Those little bastards actually chewed through the dryer sheets to get to the Irish Spring and then brought a chunk of it "home" with them right next to their nest under the hood. Luckily I didn't spot any visible damage to the car besides some corrosion on the engine cover from their ****. Although I wont know for sure until I take her for a drive in the spring. Now I'm debating whether or not I should actively try and trap them. I don't like the idea of providing any kind of food source near the car even if its a bit of peanut butter on a trap.

Last edited by Jibber82; 02-12-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:42 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

By all means trap them. They can do more damage than you think. I had one car that when I turned on the blower in the spring the inside of the car became covered with bird seed that they had brought into the garage and stored in the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTFD2:
Jibber82 (02-12-2019), V Vette (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Been dealing with car winter storage for a number of years. I've tried a lot of different methods at first, trying to stay away from poison. When I finally started using Dcon, it was effective but discouraging to find that it takes awhile before being effective. I've found it scattered about in my engine compartment and in my car. I finally started using sticky traps. I put them at every wheel and at the lowest points (mice can jump). I also put them near any access points to/from the garage. This has been the best solution so far. Good luck, I feel your pain..
Old 02-12-2019, 12:46 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Trapping is almost a must do, in combination with any type of repellent you might want to try. Been there done that. Ended up using our regular exterminator company's bait stations outside, traps and repellent inside.

Take a look at "mouse magic". Several members reported good results during the C6 years. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:53 PM
Jibber82
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flenn
Been dealing with car winter storage for a number of years. I've tried a lot of different methods at first, trying to stay away from poison. When I finally started using Dcon, it was effective but discouraging to find that it takes awhile before being effective. I've found it scattered about in my engine compartment and in my car. I finally started using sticky traps. I put them at every wheel and at the lowest points (mice can jump). I also put them near any access points to/from the garage. This has been the best solution so far. Good luck, I feel your pain..
I put 2 sticky traps under the car next to the 2 drivers side tires and one next to the back door. I did catch one next to the back door but that was a couple months ago. I will order some more and put more under the car.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

Fresh Cab works. Can get it at a local farm supply store, online, or possibly Walmart. I put a pack on front drivers and passenger floor, one in the hatch, and 2 on the engine. Haven't had a mouse problem using it. Last winter couldn't get it so used dryer sheets. End up costing $$$$$ to take the dash apart and clean up the mess.

Last edited by xtroms; 02-12-2019 at 01:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jibber82 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
flenn
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I buy them by the case at Amazon. More is better

Last edited by flenn; 02-12-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Jibber82 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:11 PM
decco
Heel & Toe

Received 33 Likes on 7 Posts

We had this same problem with a travel trailer we had. We used the Irish Spring, laser lights, strip lights, virtually everything we could think of. Then finally I found an electronic mouse trap in Ace hardware, and that was the end of the problem. It's a little pricey at about $44.00, but it works. it's blue in color, about a foot long, and about 4 inches high. Put dry bait way in the back, and when 'the little bastard' goes to get it, he steps across 2 metal plates and it electrocutes him. Just dump him in the trash, reset the button, and it's good to go for his little sister. Takes 4 aa batteries. Good luck. PS it lays on the ground OUTSIDE the car!!
Jibber82 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:18 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Jibber, I have one suggestion until you rid yourself of the vermin. Raise your hood when you park the car. I had those aggravating creatures chew up the hood liner to build their nest in my car. The little bastards built their nest on the cabin air filter. Good luck.

Last edited by Rebel Yell; 02-12-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Jibber82 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 01:23 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,419 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Better than, “...rats in the kitchen, what I’m goin do...”

I agree, try to trap them.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:05 PM
carcrazysammy
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Your lucky if they are mice. Compared to the roof rats in my area mice are stupid and easy to catch.

I have been trying to get this guy for a couple weeks. He set off 2 traps before this one got him. 4 traps are set by each wheel baited with cat food.

Jibber82 (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 02:33 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 414 Likes on 287 Posts

Default Mouse traps..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VDRVRV
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

We had a c-5 a few years ago. Wife came home saying the car smelled like burnt garbage, when it got hot. I could smell it coming from the exhaust, I took it out ran it up to a 100 a couple of times, watched the rear view, little hard pieces of dog food was flying out the back. They had packed the mufflers full of dog food. That cleaned it out, I put traps on the floor boards, engine compartment, and trunk. It was a roadster. And put empty soup cans over the tail pipes when it was parked. They will eat the insulation off of the enjectors, make nest out of the interior, **** and **** everywhere. We also got a mouse hunter a big *** cat. Problem solved. If you find one there will be more real quick they reproduce faster than a rabbit! And are able to reproduce at only a couple of months old.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:00 PM
Majorhavok
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone make use of a CarCapsule (http://carcapsule.com/indoor-carcapsule/) with feedback regarding mice?
Old 02-12-2019, 03:09 PM
Taevon lee
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have rodents in your cars, they will be all over your property. My suggestion is hire a pest control to deal with them if you don’t get them all they will be back, no if ands or butts. It’s not just a one time kill, they have to be terminated. Even after you see no more signs of them, keep treating for at least a month, or you will not kill the off spring.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:29 PM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Majorhavok
Anyone make use of a CarCapsule (http://carcapsule.com/indoor-carcapsule/) with feedback regarding mice?
I have my C6 Z06 currently in a Car Capsule. Best buy that I have made for protecting car in winter. I also put rat and mice bait traps on the floor of the capsule just in case. The capsule is tight and no ease of entry unless you would happen to tear a hole in it. It has proven itself so far. Will let you know in the spring if it was 100% effective. I think it will be.
The following 2 users liked this post by MiamiCowboy:
DeutschZ06 (02-15-2019), Majorhavok (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 04:15 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Default Rat Safari

Pack rats have been around for a million years or more. And we have been trying to kill them off for that long. Truth, they are the ultimate survivors. If bait is not your deal, then traps are not going to work. In our garage, I have Gopher Mix in make shift containers in each corner. Gopher Mix is pelletized grain laced with either arsenic or cyanide. Upside kills them pronto fast. Downside kills cats dogs and kids too. We don't have any of those so I'm good to go. You'll need to find a farm store or similar to buy gopher mix. Used by ranchers, farmers etc pour it into field holes to keep rodent excavation to a minimum. They will eat up to the surface and be DOA.

I recycle 32 oz cottage cheese plastic containers. Any kind of plastic container will work. Rinse out the tub. First cut away half the lid inside the snap on rim. You'll have a half moon opening. Install the lid then duct tape the lid to the container to secure it. Wily to the max, they like the security of sticking there nose in without getting in. Put a small rock or similar in the container to keep if from rolling around. If you want to get fancy, before taping on the lid nail or glue the tub to a foot long piece of 2x4. This provides the stability Then put the lid on. Add a cup or so of gopher mix. Doesn't take much. One pellet will kill them. I put them in inaccessible nooks in all the corners and under the car in the back. Opening down. But places I can get to with a modicum of effort. Every couple of months, I check them and refill as needed. Rats will die before getting back to their nest. You'll find them on the floor, often around the garage door, under the car. Merciless but the rats are winning so I play for keeps.

Got dogs, cats, little kids, there is a real risk to using cyanide. I'd bite the bullet on food baits and get a Rat Zapper Brand electronic trap at amazon. Uses a couple of kibbles of dry dog food and D cell batteries for frying juice. They die in situ so no hunting smelly corpses. A blinking light tells you when you got a dead body. Expensive, but easy to place and easy to monitor.

Good hunting.

Last edited by papillion; 02-12-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Mice in the car

Old 02-12-2019, 04:57 PM
GTFD2
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Majorhavok

I have been using them since 2014. No problem with mice or anything else getting in. Just make sure to keep the filter on the intake fan or you will pull a bit of dust inside. Also put windows down a few inches to stop humidity.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:01 PM
Gvnski
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't like the idea of providing any kind of food source near the car even if its a bit of peanut butter on a trap.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are feeding them Irish Spring!
Old 02-12-2019, 05:40 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

If they like to eat the Irish soap then why did you use it as "repellent"?
You might as well kill them because once they found something they will never leave.

Quick Reply: Mice in the car