C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfortable C7 ride

Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM
corvettesmoochie
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again, you guys are great. Thanks again for all the great information. Pretty much think a base model convertible with a 2Lt or a 3Lt option if I can find one will be the ticket especially with the Michlin run flats. Like one of you gentleman said, nothing worse than a flat on a Harley in the middle of nowhere. Been there done that have the t-shirt and don't want to do it again. Thanks so much I'll let you know what I find. The hunt is part of the fun.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

That would be a deal breaker for me, no Z51. Been there done that!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:53 AM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

But it should not bend and break wheels, jar your teeth out, or feel like your frame has just been hit with a sledge hammer!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:17 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

We have a base model convertible with 3 LT interior and use it for touring. The ride is much more smooth than the C5 (I owned one of those in days gone by) so that is much better. I am trying to alleviate the cabin noise which can be annoying on some roads. I am planning to put some noise reduction insulation in before we travel to the Corvette Caravan this summer. The noise level is a little lower with the convertible than the coupe though. You would think it would be opposite, but the trunk contains some of the noise. The C5 was similar in terms of cabin noise. Overall, I think you will love the C7 as a road-tripper.

Originally Posted by corvettesmoochie
Brand new to the forum. Have been a Corvette owner on and off my whole life. Now doing the bucket list thing. Have 99 C5 selling and want a used C7 convertible with the most comfortable ride so my wife and I can tour the country. Your best suggestions would help. Thanks
Old 02-15-2019, 05:19 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crawfish333
We have a base model convertible with 3 LT interior and use it for touring. The ride is much more smooth than the C5 (I owned one of those in days gone by) so that is much better. I am trying to alleviate the cabin noise which can be annoying on some roads. I am planning to put some noise reduction insulation in before we travel to the Corvette Caravan this summer. The noise level is a little lower with the convertible than the coupe though. You would think it would be opposite, but the trunk contains some of the noise. The C5 was similar in terms of cabin noise. Overall, I think you will love the C7 as a road-tripper.
New tires will help quiet it down some but as they wear the noise returns
Old 02-15-2019, 05:32 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bjones7131
Had a 16 base stingray with no MRC or Z51 and it rode pretty darn good. Now have a 17 GS and much prefer the 16 base ride, seemed more nimble without the stiff suspension and huge tires. Good luck with whatever you get
I have said it here before when I get out of my 14 stingray vert and into my 17 Z06 vert the car rides like sh-- and feels like a tank, does not always go where you point it, Or grab the pavement...……. but when it does wow!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:01 AM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettesmoochie
Brand new to the forum. Have been a Corvette owner on and off my whole life. Now doing the bucket list thing. Have 99 C5 selling and want a used C7 convertible with the most comfortable ride so my wife and I can tour the country. Your best suggestions would help. Thanks
Get the base Stingray, not the z51. I have the C7 Stingray in manual transmission. When I got new tires, I got michelin non runflat and it's night and day comfort and more traction and more responsive and brakes shorter and accelerates quicker. I added a seat cushion from RELAX THE BACK to get the comfort of a Mercdes E and S class plushy seat.

Last edited by ptran00; 07-16-2019 at 12:17 AM.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,421 Posts

You’re wasting money buying a Z51 with MRC if comfort is your priority. Follow the advice of many here. Just get a base model and whatever trim level makes you happy. Easy peasy.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,117 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I would agree that if your first priority is ride comfort and you don't do any spirited driving that a Z51 with MSRC is a waste of money. But if you enjoy both ride comfort and spirited driving then the Z51 with MSRC is worth the money. In Tour mode you get almost the same ride comfort as the base but have the advantages of the Z51 package with a twist of a **** during spirited driving. If you come across a good deal on a Z51 with MSRC I wouldn't write it off because of a ride comfort concern. But don't get a Z51 without MSRC if ride is a priority.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:49 AM
Emerald Eagle
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

Mag ride with AS3+ tires and the factory update on the ride calibration and you will have great ride and the ability to take up a notch for the twistys. Also the weight of luggage smooths out the ride as well.
I don't think the base cars have rear sway bars so the Z51 corners flatter.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:41 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,357 Likes on 785 Posts

Don't screw around with Z51, GS, etc. Based on your needs, get a base and get all season tires. That will be the softest ride.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodson
Don't screw around with Z51, GS, etc. Based on your needs, get a base and get all season tires. That will be the softest ride.
Tadge in answering a question at the 1st C7 Bash answered a ride question this way:
Softest: Base C7
Next Softest: Z51 with MRC set at Touring
Next Softest: Z51 Non MRC
Next Softest: Z51 MRC set at Sport
STIFF: Z51 MRC set at Track

Yep shocks can make the ride stiffer!
Recent forum info says the Base with MRC makes ride stiffer in Sport and Track.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-16-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:01 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 239 Posts

base car for sure, 2LT is nice, 3LT doesnt get my vote, instead id use that money for an exhaust.

"base" seats are very good and known to be a little softer/comfy-ish than the upper level competition seats. base seats are called grand touring, blahblah, the usual.

base suspension also well known to be softest of all, even tho very capable. Z51 maybe worth it, maybe not, if youre not gonna really get on it, on a semi regular basis, then probly a waste in your case. mag ride not quite as soft as base suspension but now its close, with updates.

if your knees are good, consider the fun factor of the manual. change the fluid as the factory fluid is crap and good to go. i love my manual base 2LT non-mag stingray. probly keeping it forever.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:23 PM
Rayland
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

corvettesmoochie 2-14-19;

Clarification on classification: 1LT, 2LT, 3LT: The model denotes the performance package, while the trims denote the interior package. Each model (Stingray, Z51, GS, and Z06) can be acquired in either 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT trims, and each trim adds progressively more leather, carbon fiber and sued microfiber to the interior. (Source Wallace Chevrolet).

Comparing models to actual spring rates: (Stiffness is measured in force per unit length(newtons per millimeter or N/mm), and is equivalent to force constant in "Hooke's law".(Source Structural engineering theory).

2017 stingray front spring rate=92.4; while the rear=153
2017 Z51 front spring rate=92.4/79.1; while the rear=165/127
2017 GS front spring rate=117; while the rear=145/177

(Source, X25 Corvette Forum Member, 9-6-16, 3:05 P.M. Pacific time, many thanks!)

Take away: Shock choice disproportionately effects ride quality, when comparing spring rates, between the different model? .

Many thanks,

Ray

"Save Harley Earl's front engine Corvette".

Note: The rear spring value of the Grand Sport?
Old 07-17-2019, 02:16 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,117 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Rayland
corvettesmoochie 2-14-19;

Clarification on classification: 1LT, 2LT, 3LT: The model denotes the performance package, while the trims denote the interior package. Each model (Stingray, Z51, GS, and Z06) can be acquired in either 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT trims, and each trim adds progressively more leather, carbon fiber and sued microfiber to the interior. (Source Wallace Chevrolet).

Comparing models to actual spring rates: (Stiffness is measured in force per unit length(newtons per millimeter or N/mm), and is equivalent to force constant in "Hooke's law".(Source Structural engineering theory).

2017 stingray front spring rate=92.4; while the rear=153
2017 Z51 front spring rate=92.4/79.1; while the rear=165/127
2017 GS front spring rate=117; while the rear=145/177

(Source, X25 Corvette Forum Member, 9-6-16, 3:05 P.M. Pacific time, many thanks!)

Take away: Shock choice disproportionately effects ride quality, when comparing spring rates, between the different model? .

Many thanks,

Ray

"Save Harley Earl's front engine Corvette".

Note: The rear spring value of the Grand Sport?
My takeaway:
The Z51 package adds stiffer shocks, slightly stiffer rear spring (165 vs 153), stiffer front sway bar, and a rear sway bar over the base. The front spring rate stays the same.
However, when MSRC is added to the Z51 the spring rates are reduced to lower than that of the base (79.1 vs 92.4 front and 127 vs 153 rear). I've read that the Z51 w/MSRC has slightly stiffer sway bars over the Z51 without MSRC. The softer spring rates are what allows the Z51 w/MSRC to have a ride similar to the base in tour (even with the sway bars) but MSRC is used to stiffen it up in sport and track modes.
With the wider tires and stiffer spring rates on the GS you will not be able to get a ride similar to the base Stingray even though it has MSRC.
The stiffer rear spring rate value on the GS is for the Z07 package.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comfortable C7 ride