Sponsored by:

OnStar detects an ECM tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 12:01 PM
bluekey28
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Default OnStar detects an ECM tune

I'm sure this has been asked but a search of posts comes up empty. My On-Star connection seems to know everything about my '17 Z06. Will it detect if I download a tune from a Diablo Sport tuner. Not looking for anything radical tune wise, just bumping up the efficiency after installing a CAI. Any proof out there or just speculation? Thank you.

Popular Reply

02-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Zymurgy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

It doesn't really matter if OnStar can detect it or not. If you have a significant powertrain issue, they will check the ECM and they WILL find the tune has been done (even if you "undo" it) and a warranty block will be placed on your powertrain.

The basic process is:

Dealer can get the complete history of all the GM Approved Calibrations and CVNs (Calibration Verification Numbers) from the TIS2WEB site using the VIN and choosing the ECM.

Calibration Verification Procedure — Using the Tech 2®

Compare each: Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) from your Tech 2® to the corresponding Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen of TIS2WEB to ensure that they are ALL an EXACT MATCH.

If ANY of the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) when compared to the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen, DO NOT MATCH, then non-GM calibrations may be present.

GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

If a non-GM calibration is found, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS.
I believe the tool used on 2014 and newer is now called GM MDI/GDS-2.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:26 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

It doesn't really matter if OnStar can detect it or not. If you have a significant powertrain issue, they will check the ECM and they WILL find the tune has been done (even if you "undo" it) and a warranty block will be placed on your powertrain.

The basic process is:

Dealer can get the complete history of all the GM Approved Calibrations and CVNs (Calibration Verification Numbers) from the TIS2WEB site using the VIN and choosing the ECM.

Calibration Verification Procedure — Using the Tech 2®

Compare each: Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) from your Tech 2® to the corresponding Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen of TIS2WEB to ensure that they are ALL an EXACT MATCH.

If ANY of the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) when compared to the Calibration ID Part Number and Verification No. (Number/CVN) listed in the TIS2WEB GM Vehicle Calibration Information screen, DO NOT MATCH, then non-GM calibrations may be present.

GM recommends performing this check whenever a hard part failure is seen on internal engine or transmission components, or before an engine assembly or transmission assembly is being replaced under warranty. It is also recommended that the engine calibration verification procedure be performed whenever diagnostics indicate that catalytic converter replacement is indicated.

If a non-GM calibration is found, the remaining powertrain and driveline warranty will be cancelled and notated in GMVIS.
I believe the tool used on 2014 and newer is now called GM MDI/GDS-2.
The following 10 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
Avanti (02-15-2019), chuckrbt (02-14-2019), Corvette ED (03-18-2019), Foosh (02-14-2019), owc6 (02-15-2019), Pablotheartist (02-14-2019), r00t61 (02-15-2019), Rebel Yell (02-14-2019), Vegas1500 (02-15-2019), Yaupon (02-14-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-14-2019, 03:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yep, you better really want that tiny bump in HP because it WILL cause your powertrain warranty to be blocked should you ever need it. You can't hide it because the fingerprints will remain, no matter what you try after loading a non-OEM flash.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:12 PM
bluekey28
Racer

ZYMURGY;
Thank you for the detailed info. I now recall reading a similar response to the same question several years ago. At the time my previous Vette was out of warranty so my concerns were less.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:17 PM
bluekey28
Racer

Thank you for the valuable info. My Z has only 800 easy miles on it. Do not plan on tracking or hard driving the car. My thinking is any failures or warranty would not be due to hard usage. In any event, leaving well enough alone would be the prudent thing to do.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:32 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,634 Posts

A Diablo is the only tuner that does not alter the tune log file , get a custom tune from Diablo Lew and your gains in HP and drivablity will be significant over the can tunes that are included

Absolutely 100 % undetectable ......PM Mike at Diablo ...

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 02-14-2019 at 10:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
bluekey28 (02-15-2019), C7/Z06 Man (03-18-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yep, you better really want that tiny bump in HP because it WILL cause your powertrain warranty to be blocked should you ever need it. You can't hide it because the fingerprints will remain, no matter what you try after loading a non-OEM flash.
Not when u use a Diablo ......

It does not leave any fingerprints .....the CVN file remains unchanged no matter how many times you upload or restore the original tune ...

Dave
The following users liked this post:
C7/Z06 Man (03-18-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:51 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Dcasole

Not when u use a Diablo ...... It does not leave any fingerprints .....the CVN file remains unchanged no matter how many times you upload or restore the original tune ...

Dave

Dave, are you sure about that?

Has anyone verified this to be correct?

Would hate to see one used, and then find out later that it is detectable, and end up seeing a blocked warranty.

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 02-14-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:58 PM
HorsePower Junkie
Safety Car

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts
St. Jude Donor '20-'21-'22-'23

If I recall correctly I seem to remember that a C6 original ECM could be replaced with one that would be tuned, and then later the original reinstalled.

Can the original C7 ECM be removed, and replaced with one that is to be tuned and modified, and then later reinstall the original ECM that is free of traces that are detectable of any modifications?

Last edited by HorsePower Junkie; 02-14-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
Are you sure about that?
Has anyone verified this to be correct?
Would hate to use it, and then find out later that it is detectable, and end up with a blocked warranty.
Oh yes I am 100% sure about it , let's just say I have a friend that had a catastrophic failure and this failure had absolutely nothing to do with a tune but the first thing that was checked was the tune file....the CVN file was an exact match .....

There are thousands of diablo tuners out there not just for GM but Chrysler's and Ford also , you don't think that with all those tuners out there and with the Diablos Claim that their tunes cannot be detected, that it would not be all over the internet forums if the statement was not true .

Then there are the claims that the Handhelds like the Diablo are not worth it ..... do a custom mail order street tune with CMR software is no different than street tuning with HP tuners or EFI live ......log the car. Make changes , log car .. rinse and repeat. Plenty of well known tuners offer mail order tunes , the difference only being that a Diablo uploaded Tune is undectable....

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 02-14-2019 at 11:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
C7/Z06 Man (03-18-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 PM
Indy Jim
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the Range device that disables 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode leave a 'finger print'?

Last edited by Indy Jim; 02-14-2019 at 11:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-14-2019, 11:14 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HorsePower Junkie
If I recall correctly I seem to remember that a C6 original ECM could be replaced with one that would be tuned, and then later the original reinstalled.

Can the original C7 ECM be removed, and replaced with one that is to be tuned and modified, and then later reinstall the original ECM that is free of traces that are detectable of any modifications?

Nope , because the milage in the ECM will not match the mileage held in the speedometer cluster , when a new cluster is installed there is a procedure to have it read the mileage from the ECM . You can not do the update but there will be the mismatch in milage which is also checked . Later ECMs have been encrypted by GM to try and stop the ECM from being modified
This will only lead to Add On Devices. I can buy a add on control unit for my AMG that will add 50 to 75 HP for only 300 bucks ...

Dave
Old 02-14-2019, 11:16 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Indy Jim
Does the Range device that disables 8 cylinder to 4 cylinder mode leave a 'finger print'?
No , you are not modifying the tune file in any way with a range , you are just tricking the ECM into thinking that the conditions for going into 4 cylinder mode are not met , this keeps the car in V8 mode

Dave
The following 2 users liked this post by Dcasole:
C7/Z06 Man (03-18-2019), Indy Jim (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 01:11 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,292 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yeah, would not be worth it to me as I would want the warranty in place.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Dcasole
Nope , because the milage in the ECM will not match the mileage held in the speedometer cluster , when a new cluster is installed there is a procedure to have it read the mileage from the ECM . You can not do the update but there will be the mismatch in milage which is also checked . Later ECMs have been encrypted by GM to try and stop the ECM from being modified
This will only lead to Add On Devices. I can buy a add on control unit for my AMG that will add 50 to 75 HP for only 300 bucks ...

Dave
Mileage on the C7 is stored in the cluster and the BCM. But there are other security functions that prevent you from swapping ECMs back and forth.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:49 AM
fishpick
Instructor

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

There are totally ways to swap ECM / PCM and any other module including the cluster - you just have to have the right tools. In the Ford world you can find a Chinese VCM2 knockoff with a cracked IDS application on eBay for about $100... the real versions are like $1200 + IDS subscription... and you can reprogram anything with any version from anywhere... this is not tuning, it's swapping clusters, changing ABS, flashing factory PCM data, changing build codes to add or remove options.

GM has the same tools for their techs that do the same things... I don't know about Chinese version or availability - but I'm pretty sure they are out there - like with anything - where there is a will there is a way!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=Jeff V.;1598882569]Mileage on the C7 is stored in the cluster and the BCM. But there are other security functions that prevent you from swapping ECMs back and forth.[/QUOTE

Yes but they all can be worked around as you have to program the ECM and any module that connects to the ECM anyway ...there are guys that are doing now but there is still a mileage gap

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To OnStar detects an ECM tune

Old 02-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fishpick
There are totally ways to swap ECM / PCM and any other module including the cluster - you just have to have the right tools. In the Ford world you can find a Chinese VCM2 knockoff with a cracked IDS application on eBay for about $100... the real versions are like $1200 + IDS subscription... and you can reprogram anything with any version from anywhere... this is not tuning, it's swapping clusters, changing ABS, flashing factory PCM data, changing build codes to add or remove options.

GM has the same tools for their techs that do the same things... I don't know about Chinese version or availability - but I'm pretty sure they are out there - like with anything - where there is a will there is a way!
I am not saying it can't be done , there are guys who have what I am saying is you cant change the milage in the old ecm as it will be detected, the speedometer will have one reading and the ECM the other .

First you would need that subscription , then your flash from the TIS web site will be logged , this will be the instant tip off that you changed out the ECM as the CVN file in the old unmodified ECM will not match what GM has on record, it will also show that the dealer did not pull the file down .....then you have to program each module in the car .....

Just buy a Diablo and be done with it all lol lol ......

Dave

Last edited by Dcasole; 02-15-2019 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:48 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Dcasole: Everything He Said About DiabloSport .

DITTO.. From what I have read/seen & experienced.

This seems to be a on going battle here; But not for me.

Just remember to re-install the 'stock tune' before taking your vehicle to the dealer for 'anything'. Why? because the dealer may install an update to your ECM/PCM while its there.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 03-18-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Re-flashing the OEM tune makes does you no good if you have an engine problem requiring warranty work. They will find the fingerprints of your previous non-OEM flashes, your warranty claim will be denied, and your powertrain warranty will be blocked.

As long as you never have an engine problem, or never put in a warranty claim on engine or powertrain-related issues, you'll be fine. However, as soon as you install a non-OEM tune, you have effectively ended your powertrain warranty.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-18-2019 at 02:59 PM.

Quick Reply: OnStar detects an ECM tune