Sponsored by:

Chevrolet building more Corvettes than dealers can sell

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 07:12 PM
abusdriver
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
With the 2019 version of my car at 52K... And my car worth 30K. I see someone happy to buy mine in a few months.
There are no differences from 2015-2019 on a 1LT. No one not on this forum knows the difference between a base and a Z06.
They are all just Corvettes. You can only drive 55 on the highways.
Where the HELL do you live? Lots of highways around the country that are 75 MPH and even one in TX that's 85 MPH.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:43 PM
naylor99
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by VNAMVET
That such an ugly combination you'll never find one and you will have to order it.
What color combination would you prefer I get?

Good grief.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:45 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Colt Turbo was cool.
i had a GLH (Omni).
That was a good post btw.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:19 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,206 Likes on 3,453 Posts

Geez, we got nasty with our Bro C7ers, didn't we???

( and, wonder why the "wave" disappeared so many places)
The following 4 users liked this post by Avanti:
kenownr (02-22-2019), ladder13 (02-22-2019), naylor99 (02-21-2019), tonysz06 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 08:43 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Every single Corvette on a dealer's lot is a "sold car." The dealer is GM's customer. The dealer bought and paid for it. GM does not build Corvettes on spec. The dealers buy on spec.
While I understand what you are saying, it is kinda of/sort of not true. First of all, when auto "sales" are reported as numbers sold, they are not counting the dealer inventory. Secondly, the cars in dealer inventories have not been titled. There is a reason the manufacturers give dealers incentives on cars that the dealers have "bought" for inventory.

The dealer is the sales arm for the manufacturer. It's really not a sold car. They have just taken over financial responsibility for the inventory, most of which are floor planned using the manufacturers financing.

Where we do agree is that GM does not build cars unless a dealer orders them.

Last edited by jschindler; 02-21-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:07 PM
JDMvette7
Burning Brakes

Received 553 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by abusdriver
Where the HELL do you live? Lots of highways around the country that are 75 MPH and even one in TX that's 85 MPH.
Everyone is taking his comment wayyyyy to seriously. Lighten up Corvette community
The following 3 users liked this post by JDMvette7:
kenownr (02-22-2019), OntarioOrangeC3 (02-23-2019), tonysz06 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:34 PM
naylor99
Pro

Originally Posted by JerryU
I never understand how anyone looks for any length of time at dealer inventory for a specific car they want. Perhaps they really don't want one and are just like looking!

I have ordered all 5 of my Vettes "Built Just for Me" at Bowling Green. Particularly if one wants a standard shift (which is all I have every driven.)

With the number of specifics you want it's like winning the Lottery!

Just call Kerbeck and in 10 minutes (with down payment check) you'll have exactly what you want at currently about a 15% discount from MSRP! Easy no negotiations as they will offer you about the discount that they are giving for cars in stock. That is how long it took for me to order my Grand Sport. In my case, found a small dealer 30 miles away who would accept Courtesy Delivery. Came directly from Blowing Green in ~6 weeks to that dealer. Their fee, a flat $250. Below the decimal point for what I saved at Kerbeck.

You're choice.
Yes, you have firmly grasped the context of this thread, yet the reason for it seems to have eluded you completely. Let me see if I can help;

a) You said: "I never understand how anyone looks for any length of time at dealer inventory for a specific car they want." The thread title tells you that there is currently a glut of Corvettes. Draw a line between these two things. Given the implication that a very good deal might be found close to home for most folks shopping for a Corvette, you have your answer.

b) You said: "With the number of specifics you want it's like winning the Lottery!", I disagree about that, completely. But I was answering a question, which was "What is it that you are looking for?".

c) You said: "Just call Kerbeck and in 10 minutes...". Brilliant. No one knew that until you said so...... OK, that is not true. I suspect everyone in the market who visits this site would have a hard time NOT knowing that Kerbeck and Criswell and a few others make it easy to order what you want and give a reasonable discount. But that wasn't really the point of this thread. There are other considerations. Maybe someone has a trade in. Maybe someone can't wait the 6 weeks it takes for custom order.

I've belonged to several forums like this over the years. Most of the time, most folks are helpful. Most participate as positive, contributing members of a community - a community centered around a common interest. I've not been here long, but have found the same to be true here. Most folks are positive, helpful, and willing to share information and knowledge. You could be like them, if you wanted.

Your choice.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:54 PM
TXSteveF
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 94 Posts

I personally think Jerry has been as helpful as anyone on this site and has shared more than most. Dig around and see what you find. Just my .02.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-23-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:48 PM
naylor99
Pro

Originally Posted by TXSteveF
I personally think Jerry has been as helpful as anyone on this site and has shared more than most. Dig around and see what you find. Just my .02.
I have no doubt that’s true. Just not in this particular case.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:15 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
While I understand what you are saying, it is kinda of/sort of not true. First of all, when auto "sales" are reported as numbers sold, they are not counting the dealer inventory. Secondly, the cars in dealer inventories have not been titled. There is a reason the manufacturers give dealers incentives on cars that the dealers have "bought" for inventory.

The dealer is the sales arm for the manufacturer. It's really not a sold car. They have just taken over financial responsibility for the inventory, most of which are floor planned using the manufacturers financing.

Where we do agree is that GM does not build cars unless a dealer orders them.
The dealer does not "take over financial responsibility". The dealer buys and pays for the vehicle before it is ever shipped and the manufacturer is not ever buying it back. The dealer may or may not floor-plan with the manufacturers captive as there are a number of floor-plan sources available to those qualified. The only reason the manufacturer offers the dealer or the public incentives is simply to encourage sales so they can replace that inventory. The key to the manufacturing process is keeping the factories running. They do not get bonus dollars for "reported sales"!
Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Dealers are ordering to get C8 allocation. GM will eventually rebate whatever is necessary to sell them.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (02-22-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 AM
speed4tu
Drifting

Received 372 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalDDP
glad I sold mine when I did
Lucky, I wish I had sold mine already.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:52 PM
MATTBEAVER
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by naylor99
2LT Convertible, M7, arctic white / kalahari, kalahari top, mag ride and performance exhaust. You get a gold star if you can find one, new or used. I've been looking. If any dealer has one they are hiding it well.
Would you order at Triple NET?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:56 PM
MATTBEAVER
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 364 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by raosterkamp
I cant find what I want as well: convertible,2LT,7speed,elkhart blue,blue top,kalahari interior,body colored exterior vents,carbon fiber dash and motorsport CHROME wheels( yes,I am on old fart)!!!

Would you order at triple NET?
Old 02-22-2019, 06:58 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

could the dealers be ordering c7's because if/when people come look at and drive the c8,they might not think its the car for them and buy a c7?

a mid-eng car isn't for everybody
Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
could the dealers be ordering c7's because if/when people come look at and drive the c8,they might not think its the car for them and buy a c7?

a mid-eng car isn't for everybody
IMHO, Yes, that's a very real possibility. Some are speculating the C7 will continue for at least a year after the C8 is introduced for this same reason. The mid-engine design is not a mild change, it's huge. Not everyone is going to want it. If the C7 is discontinued when the C8 is introduced, there will be a contingent that want to buy the last of a legend, the last front ICE engine Corvette. I don't think dealers will have a hard time selling off the last remaining inventory.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:31 PM
naylor99
Pro

Originally Posted by MATTBEAVER
Would you order at Triple NET?
What is triple net?

Get notified of new replies

To Chevrolet building more Corvettes than dealers can sell

Old 02-22-2019, 08:32 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Dealers are ordering to get C8 allocation. GM will eventually rebate whatever is necessary to sell them.
When the C7 came out, not all dealers could order them. For roughly the first 6 months of production, only dealers who sold a certain number of Corvettes in 2013, could place orders for the redesigned 2014's. Since demand is always strong for a new model of the Corvette, it's quite likely GM will do something similar with the first allotments of C8's.

Additionally, when there is a new model introduced, there is a period when no cars are built, while the plant is retooled for that new model. In anticipation of a period when no cars will be available, manufacturers usually build up inventory, prior to the model changeover. I haven't seen any dates for when the 2019 build out is scheduled to begin, but it's quite possible that GM is building up inventories, in preparation for the 2019 build out.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by naylor99
What color combination would you prefer I get?

Good grief.
Not the point, really. That particular combination of features is not what you would call popular, so a dealer would be crazy to buy one in hopes of selling it. The negatives are 1) Vert, 2) Manual, and 3) Kalahari top on white. If OP wanted a red auto 1LT coupe with black interior he would have no problem finding one. I have no problem with what he wants, but if he really wants it, he's going to have to factory order it.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler

I absolutely agree with you that a car in the deaelr's inventory does not count as a "sold car" as far as reporting goes, but the dealer absolutely did buy that car as far as GM is concerned. GM got paid for it or it did not get shipped. Doesn't matter who the bank is.

However, I think the overall issue has been overblown by the press. While it is true that there are quite a few Corvettes in inventory, the calculation of "how many days worth" is somewhat arbitrary (divided by last 30 days sales) and very misleading. The reason is that when that C8 finally gets revealed there will be more than one reaction. Some people will love it, but history shows that Corvette enthusiasts get angry over the smallest of details. First it was the pop up headlights which disappeared on the C6, and then, of course, the lack of round tail lights on the C7. I'm sure we all remember the hysteria that caused. Some people still have not gotten over it.

So here comes a mid-engined C8 and there will be a vocal group of people who will detest it. There will be plenty of excuses, but high on the list will be golf club storage (if the C8 forum is any indication.) So what are these people going to do? They still want a reasonably priced sports car. Their choice? The pristine C7s still on the dealers' lots. I predict there will be a surge in sales of the C7s once the C8 hits. They will all sell at reasonable discounts while the C8s are MSRP or higher. All the dealers need is some patience.

Quick Reply: Chevrolet building more Corvettes than dealers can sell