C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bra needed?

Old 03-19-2019, 06:05 PM
edweiler
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a Colgan bra and also the Colgan mirror bras for my 2015 Z-51 Vert. They fit like a glove in my opinion. I leave mine on all the time. I live in N.E. Georgia and do a lot of rural driving and almost always encounter small debris or pebbles due to the morons mowing there grass outward toward the road or farm related dirt and debris being dragged out onto the roads from adjoining dirt roads. I purchased the car used and it already had a few very very minor chips in the front and one of the same on the mirror...so I didn't feel comfortable with the clear applications. I get a lot of compliments on the way the Colgan products look...
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

REALLY depends on what you are attempting to protect against.

1. Protection against small to medium rocks requires a very heavy duty canvas or leather bra that rocks will bounce off of. It will protect against front bugs, but not on the interior like the radiator. The downside is that they are quite ugly and distracting. Plus they may abrade the paint through rubbing and are difficult to put on and remove. $$

2. Protection against minor rocks and bugs can be had with a Novistretch. It prevents bugs on the interior and exterior and protects against very small rocks. It will not protect you against medium or large rocks. It's very easy on/off and washes up in the washer. Very inexpensive. $

3. Xpel type coatings will protect against small to medium rocks and bugs, and will wash off easily with soap and water. The upside is that they are pretty much invisible. They don't protect against bugs on the interior. They are very expensive. $$$$

Last edited by mschuyler; 03-19-2019 at 09:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Coach32 (04-16-2019)
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM
zcarmaniac
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts

I love my Novistretch ,,,I track this car 3 or 4 times a year plus long trips,,,,,I never take it off,,,never a problem,,,Easy to clean after ,,,Save The Wave
Old 04-01-2019, 03:07 PM
jmmoh
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Novastrech saved me from collecting a bunch of grain that was spilling out on the interstate
Old 04-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Power Hawk
Burning Brakes

Received 217 Likes on 153 Posts

I installed the Novistretch bra on my 2016 one week after I bought it. So far, so good with 8,000 miles on it. I take it off a couple times a year when washing my Corvette. Other than that, I leave it on. I like the look. .
Old 04-01-2019, 05:38 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,444 Likes on 753 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

My bodyman told me never use a bra on a car. He has fixed many cars that used them. They may protrct from chips, but wear paint off on the ridges. Nowadays go clear bra like Xpel.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:48 PM
anderdea
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
A coating won't protect your paint from chips. A bra is a little better for that if you don't mind the looks. Paint protection film like Xpel will protect you from chips. I have 3M clear bra and over 90,000 miles on the car and not one chip on the front. So I'll recommend that. Where I lived when it was installed was $763. All the front and the up past the vents on the bonnet. Mirrors, and door handle cups.
With Xpel type products how it is installed is the key. The products are all very good to excellent.
I just purchased a 2014 LRG, 3LT, Z51 Convertible. It has what I’m assuming (I purchased from a second owner) that from what he said and showed me is a 3M protective paint film on the entire hood, fenders and back of the mirrors. I saw the film terminated under the front windshield side of the hood. A long description leading up to a couple of questions.

Q1: should I wax the film?
Q2: I’ believe the original owner installed it when new. How long can I expect the film to last. It’s been on for about 4.5 years. The car has been garaged and I will also garage it. I purchased the 3M car wash but not sure about wax. It only has 18,000 miles.

Last edited by anderdea; 04-13-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:54 PM
boss2k
Burning Brakes

Received 249 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by anderdea
I just purchased a 2014 LRG, 3LT, Z51 Convertible. It has what I’m assuming (I purchased from a second owner) that from what he said and showed me is a 3M protective paint film on the entire hood, fenders and back of the mirrors. I saw the film terminated under the front windshield side of the hood. A long description leading up to a couple of questions.

Q1: should I wax the film?
Q2: I’ believe the original owner installed it when new. How long can I expect the film to last. It’s been on for about 4.5 years. The car has been garaged and I will also garage it. I purchased the 3M car wash but not sure about wax. It only has 18,000 miles.

Sure you can wax over ppf intact its recommended by installers for longevity, I do it all the time

Congrats on a very nice car , dont see this color often

Last edited by boss2k; 04-13-2019 at 07:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
anderdea (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 07:56 PM
Psychodo
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by boss2k
Sure you can wax over ppf intact its recommended by installers for longevity, I do it all the time

Congrats on a very nice car , dont see this color often

Beautiful car btw!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bra needed?