Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,424 Likes on 773 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

OK so you can't post up the details. Was the reason for the buyback something you can live with? If not, look for another one. If they're not offering at least double the discount Kerbeck is offering, walk away. My $.02
Old 02-27-2019, 01:48 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by Lurker14
I have the info- read post #34. Big Brother won't let me post it.
That's strange. Just type in why it was a buyback. That should do the the trick.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:53 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Originally Posted by Juniorss
See if the dealer can supply you with a GMVIS. It's the service history of the car.
I agree it has a write up on it every thing that it had be serviced for from GM … Robert
Old 02-27-2019, 02:12 PM
Lurker14
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
OK so you can't post up the details. Was the reason for the buyback something you can live with? If not, look for another one. If they're not offering at least double the discount Kerbeck is offering, walk away. My $.02
This is the best I can sum it up from what I can see:

at 342 miles:
replaced differential

at 2172 miles:
replaced rear compartment release switch
Rough Idle and/or Misfire, DTC P0300 Set

at 2190 miles:
Remote Start Mobile App Fails Intermittently

No branded title, still under full warranty.

So i think that with 4 trips back to the dealer that qualifies as a "Lemon" right? So speculation is that it was bought back under the law, and now it is for sale. Besides "walk away", any comments on the above repairs? They don't look like repeats, or even related, to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lurker14:
CorvetteBrent (02-28-2019), Rebel Yell (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:17 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,146 Likes on 5,983 Posts

My understanding is lemon law is when the car is down for a certain amount of time and/or repeat servicing for the same issue. The misfire code is interesting.... doesn't say what was done to correct that issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
CorvetteBrent (02-28-2019), Rebel Yell (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 02:18 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Oh... and replacing the diff means the whole rear suspension was dropped and re-installed. Unless your dealer has a GREAT Corvette technician who gives a ****, it was probably done half-assed as quickly as possible.
The following users liked this post:
Rebel Yell (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

A new rear at 300 miles worries me and I'm willing to bet the break in wasn't done properly. I'm curious if this was a factory buy back or if the dealer traded the car back in or took the customer out of the car. With no brand it may not be a factory buy back depending on the state. Not every state requires the title be branded for a buy back, but most due.

Dave
Rebel Yell (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:06 PM
Lurker14
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dave@Kerbeck.com
A new rear at 300 miles worries me and I'm willing to bet the break in wasn't done properly. I'm curious if this was a factory buy back or if the dealer traded the car back in or took the customer out of the car. With no brand it may not be a factory buy back depending on the state. Not every state requires the title be branded for a buy back, but most due.

Dave
Interesting take. I sent you a PM. thanks
Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyjames21
What do you think a buyback is? It's a freaking LEMON. Don't walk away, run away. If GM bought the car back without even being forced into arbitration, then there was something seriously wrong with the car. Even if it went through arbitration, the previous owner was willing to go through hell to get his or her money back. Do not buy this car.
Not necessarily true. Some owners are true A$$hxle$ and they sometimes get a buyback over things you wouldn't even consider taking the car to the shop to have fixed. Others can be major items that are fixed once GM has a fix for them. The 1986 antitheft ignition key fiasco is a case on point. When first introduced it was a major PIA but once GM found a true solution they used that system for many years with not issues. Customers that could put up with being stuck for a half hour trying to get their car started got a permanent fix about a year after the car went into production others got a buyback and the car was repaired once the final fix was available.

Other problems are caused by the owners not paying attention to what they are told because they know more than GM.

I have a philosophy look before saying it is a lemon and I don't want it. If the car is a used car because somebody spent a lot of time trying to get it fixed and decided to trade it there is high likelihood it is repaired or if it isn't I won't ever know what was wrong with it because I don't notice the problem. Same goes for the buy back.

What you do have to watch out for is the owner that ruins the car not a Lemon. It is far more likely somebody has really F'd up a car Vs it being a Lemon, buyback for courtesy's sake, etc.

Bill
CorvetteBrent (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:27 PM
GS583
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 200 Posts

Take my advice! I bought one and it is a good car with warranty. BUT when you go to trade/sell it you will take a HUGE hit. The dealers want to sell them as they can get them at reduced rates but do not want them back. I just went through this and am glad to be soon rid of mine. The promises made at purchase time disappear as soon as it is off the lot. If you are buying it to never sell in the future it may be a good value.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Lurker14
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GS583
Take my advice! I bought one and it is a good car with warranty. BUT when you go to trade/sell it you will take a HUGE hit. The dealers want to sell them as they can get them at reduced rates but do not want them back. I just went through this and am glad to be soon rid of mine. The promises made at purchase time disappear as soon as it is off the lot. If you are buying it to never sell in the future it may be a good value.
If is is a good car, why are you glad to soon be rid of it? Because of the hit you will take due to the title, or something else?
Old 02-27-2019, 03:43 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm too skeptical to purchase a buy-back...
Old 02-27-2019, 03:44 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
I'm too smart to purchase a buy-back...
Fixed.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:46 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Received 627 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by hope2
Some of you just panic over buyback, lemon. If you do your homework you can come out very well. For example, I bought a one year old Suburban "GM buyback, Lemon Law" because of vibration when applying brakes. Turned the rotors, done. I have also been involved with buybacks with a major manufacturer. Many are simple buyers remorse, many are three trips to the dealer and no fix. Doesn't mean the car is junk. Buyback especially makes sense if you are keeping long term. Because of the financing issue and the longer you keep it the less relevant buyback is. Lastly, some manufacturers add on to the warranty, sometimes up to 2 years.
Dude, I've had to deal with two lemons, and they were clear lemons, and I had to fight the manufacturer in court to get them to buy them back (and won both). It's pretty freaking rare that you'll get a buyback because the rotors weren't turned on the vehicle, most of the time they are bought back because there is a major issue with the car that they can't remedy.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:48 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by TJC333
All you had to do was turn the rotors? Strange the dealer couldn't figure out that was all the problem was.
Yeah, I gotta call BS on that one.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:53 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lurker14
This is the best I can sum it up from what I can see:

at 342 miles:
replaced differential

at 2172 miles:
replaced rear compartment release switch
Rough Idle and/or Misfire, DTC P0300 Set

at 2190 miles:
Remote Start Mobile App Fails Intermittently

No branded title, still under full warranty.

So i think that with 4 trips back to the dealer that qualifies as a "Lemon" right? So speculation is that it was bought back under the law, and now it is for sale. Besides "walk away", any comments on the above repairs? They don't look like repeats, or even related, to me.
This just makes it more shady - taking it in for 4 different things would not qualify for lemon law. It would have to be in the shop for over 30 days in I believe the first 18 most to 2 years, or if 4 or more attempts were made to correct the same issue in the same time period (it varies slightly by state).

Again, run away man.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:54 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 875 Likes on 587 Posts

Default Greetins from a fellow PNW'er

Originally Posted by Rebel Yell
When I found out they had been holding out the buyback info. I would have said thanks, but no thanks. A shady dealer like that doesn't warrant any more of your time. I would wait on the info, then call one of our forum dealers, Dave at Kerbeck, Mike Furman at Criswell, etc. You'll get a great deal on a 1LT GS that you won't have to worry about. Good luck,.
Their initial response was to not share information which, correctly in their eyes, would make the sale more difficult. That is enough evidence to decide against the purchase of this vehicle. It will color future interactions with them and cause you undo concern as you question their motives/answers even before you ask. In addition, I have found it very important to get to know the service dept. My purchase was heavily influenced by the fact that my dealership (Titus-Will of Olympia) has a mechanic (Mark) who is skilled in the repair/maintenance of Vettes. He has worked there for many years and that kind of stability is an influence on my decision(s) as well. How a dealership treats it's own is an important indicator of how they will treat you. And even though it's an hour south of me (live in Bonney Lake) it is worth the trip. Good luck and looking forward to hearing about a positive outcome.

Last edited by dbirdhouse1; 02-27-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Rebel Yell (02-28-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To 2019 GM “buyback”

Old 02-27-2019, 03:56 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not necessarily true. Some owners are true A$$hxle$ and they sometimes get a buyback over things you wouldn't even consider taking the car to the shop to have fixed. Others can be major items that are fixed once GM has a fix for them. The 1986 antitheft ignition key fiasco is a case on point. When first introduced it was a major PIA but once GM found a true solution they used that system for many years with not issues. Customers that could put up with being stuck for a half hour trying to get their car started got a permanent fix about a year after the car went into production others got a buyback and the car was repaired once the final fix was available.

Other problems are caused by the owners not paying attention to what they are told because they know more than GM.

I have a philosophy look before saying it is a lemon and I don't want it. If the car is a used car because somebody spent a lot of time trying to get it fixed and decided to trade it there is high likelihood it is repaired or if it isn't I won't ever know what was wrong with it because I don't notice the problem. Same goes for the buy back.

What you do have to watch out for is the owner that ruins the car not a Lemon. It is far more likely somebody has really F'd up a car Vs it being a Lemon, buyback for courtesy's sake, etc.

Bill
Have you ever tried to get a car company to buy back your vehicle? They don't do it just to be nice, they only do it if they know for sure they'll lose in court, and even then they usually try to force the consumer to go through the trouble of doing so in hopes they give up. I know because I've dealt with this situation twice. If the car was bought back, 99.9% of the time there is/was a major issue with the vehicle.
RapidC84B (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:03 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by KCV
Why gamble on an unknown reason for a buyback when there are so many other good fish in the sea?
Because those “fish” still cost “x.” And, if OP can get one for “x” less “enough” of a discount to offset the risks, then they get more Vette for less money! A much bigger “fish” if you will.

I cannot speak to Lemons, but I can speak to branded titles. Best ever deal I got was an R-titled Z06. Bought it at about 70% of “clean title” price and sold it 15 months later for $1K less than I paid. It had receipts, photos, etc. Get informed, buy cheap, enjoy it, sell cheap.

It’s not much of a risk with the right info and a low enough price. That’s what OP, obviously a rational person, is sorting out. All these “I wouldn’t do it” opinions don’t have nearly enough info to give that advice. The Kerbeck guy, OTOH, is actually adding value to this discussion.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 02-27-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Lurker14 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM
kennyjames21
Drifting

Originally Posted by Laguna Fred
Because those “fish” still cost “x.” And, if OP can get one for “x” less “enough” of a discount to offset the risks, then they get more Vette for less money! A much bigger “fish” if you will.

I cannot speak to Lemons, but I can speak to branded titles. Best ever deal I got was an R-titled Z06. Bought it at about 70% of “clean title” price and sold it 15 months later for $1K less than I paid. It had receipts, photos, etc. Get informed, buy cheap, enjoy it, sell cheap.

It’s not much of a risk with the right info and a low enough price. That’s what OP, obviously a rational person, is sorting out. All these “I wouldn’t do it” opinions don’t have nearly enough info to give that advice. The Kerbeck guy, OTOH, is actually adding value to this discussion.
The fact that we still don't know why the car was bought back is more than enough reason to run away from this car. If the issue were minor, the seller would be talking about the minor issue all day long because then the car would be an easy sell.
Rebel Yell (02-28-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2019 GM “buyback”