Sponsored by:

Corvette popularity in future generations

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

Default Corvette popularity in future generations

I was reading an article a while ago about Harley Davidson exploring different concepts as they delve into the future to be competitive in the marketplace in the US and around the world. The demand for the low riding, loud sounding, chrome equipped Harley is not what it used to be as the younger generation is being brought up with light streamlined crotch rocket machines and electrification at their doorstep! Hence the reason why Harley is taking orders for their new Livewire electric motorcycle. The article basically said as the old "die hard" Harley owners slowly fade out into Buick territory what is it going to take to keep Harley on track with its new generation of Harley owners? My reason for this post... do you think we need to worry about this with the future of the Corvette? Can this happen? Will it happen? Is it already happening?
I'm 63 years old and grew up with 57 Chevys, souping up cars for the street and drag strip, and always the desire to own a Corvette!!! When one drove by I would stop in my tracks and stare at it as it drove by. In my mind it just didn't get any better than that!!! I can tell you I just retired from teaching high school automotive technology for 28 years and many of the students coming through my program had no idea what a 57 Chevy was and many times confused a Corvette with a Camaro. However, everyone of them could tell me in great detail what a Subaru WRX or Honda Civic was and the modifications that are popular on them. I hope the day doesn't come where the two cars I just mentioned are the dream of the future car enthusiasts and a Corvette is just something they remember hearing about their grandparents owned.

Popular Reply

02-27-2019, 10:37 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
I see it as their problem if any of these little snowflakes drove a C7 they would wet themselves.
I’ve owned, modded, tracked a plethora of cars mentioned here as “kid’s” cars. My first car was an Acura Integra. The quintessential FnF “ricer” if you will. Even we’ll into my adult years I’ve owned a variety of cars coveted by the “younger” consumers, alongside my BMWs. I’ve had a Fiat 500, Subaru WRX wagon, and Hyundai Veloster.

Each have had their enthusiast followings. And I’ve been active in each and every make and model’s community. Part of the fun and pleasure is meeting like minded people of diverse backgrounds and age. No matter which brand, make, and model, I’ve found car enthusiasts to be generally welcoming of others.

Except Corvette owners.

Don’t get me wrong. THIS community has been very accommodating of my BMW obsession. And I find other Corvette owners to warmly welcome other Corvette owners. And unlike Porsche owners, who tend to truly be elitist sometimes, Corvette owners don’t tend to look down upon you if you own an older, cheaper Corvette (probably because older Porsche’s are not cheaper, but quite the opposite).

From my outsider perspective, Corvette enthusiast population seems to be far more “homogeneous” than just about any other make and mode. BMW ownership, for example. Young. Old. Male. Female. White. Brown. Yellow. Same with Subaru, Hondacura, etc. Sure the population may be skewed one way or another (younger, Asian, whatever) but you’ll find 45 year old white guy in an Integra or a 24 year old Indian in a BMW quite often.

In my experience same can’t be said of the MAJORITY of Corvette ownership. It’s mostly white, conservative, old. I’m Asian, and I know of no other Asian in my huge circle of acquaintances that would EVER dream of owning a Corvette. Not because there’s anything wrong with the car, but the stigma that’s associates with said ownership.

It’s real.

So to OP’s point? In that regard Corvette is very much like Harley Davidson. The ownership and demographic of each are in lock step with the brand image each portrays. As old, conservative, white males start to get older and die out, they’re not managing to bring in a younger and wider audience to supplement said shrinking demographics, because, well...Most people can’t look past the middle aged, suffering from mid-life crisis, middle manager with self esteem issues and balding skull image that’s associated with HD ownership.

And when old, white, semi-retired white folks with disposable income that’s been fans of the Corvette since they were old enough to not wear diapers for the first time decry that the square tail-lights on the car or lack of flip-up lights or no more push-rod V-8 or mid engine design as sacrilege and “un-Corvette,” as if they’re some sort of progenitor of what IS Corvette? Well, just like the struggles HD is facing, the shifting demographics and buying habits of those that are in the prime of their purchasing powers will leave the brand and the make exactly where HD is finding themselves, but all too late, IMO.
Old 02-27-2019, 09:47 AM
Dyn
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Corvettes were never for kids. Honda's, Subaru's, and even Camaro's are for kids. Corvette's are refined and VERY expensive. The only evolution I see possibly necessary would be electrification. And, as an owner of an all electric car, this is not as big a tragedy as everyone makes it out to be.

Also important, Corvette's are not bothersome to other people. They are, for the most part, polite cars.

Which brings up to Harley bikes. Harley bikes are a different sort of phenomenon. They are the embodiment of the "f-you" mentality that was cool in the 60s-90s. Yes, being a giant douche on a loud obnoxious machine is going out of style. I won't miss them running up and down mainstreet making my ears bleed while trying to enjoy conversation with my family on a restaurant porch. I won't miss the mini-heart attacks as they pass me on the freeway. And most of all, I won't miss the late night and early morning wake up calls as the tear up and down our neighborhood streets.

Full disclosure: The guys in my neighborhood that own them, do a preety good job at being gentle on the throttle in the off hours. But I still hear the freakin' things.
The following 4 users liked this post by Dyn:
Art17 (03-02-2019), edzvet (02-27-2019), ptalar (02-28-2019), Slynky (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:59 AM
ArtClassShank
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 100 Posts

Pretty sure it was a design goal of the C7, to modernize and evolve the look into something a younger buyer would prefer. The average age of a Corvette buyer is 61, and that's up from 54 a decade ago.

I think the C7 was a success to some degree, it certainly evolved the look into something more sleek and "European". I also believe car enthusiasm in the younger generation has waned, stuff like Uber, Lyft, and the thought of impending driving automation has weakened the idea of owning any car, much less an impractical gas sucking sports car. Plus, driving is expensive, between insurance, a car note, and gas/repairs, it has to provide a ton of value to be worth it. Tesla seems to have created a lot of hype among my generation though, even with their faults. Electric torque and power is very interesting, it's the "cool" car to have at the moment.

Corvette will have to evolve, just as it always had, the nameplate is too important to ever discontinue, but stuff like electric motor systems/hybrid systems will most definitely seep into the Corvette. The C8 will give us an idea of where GM is going, but it's certainly going to be something very different from the C7.

I'm turning 25 in a week, and the stigma of owning a Corvette is definitely apparent. People my age see a Corvette as an old man mobile, going 55 in the right lane, wearing a Hawaiian shirt, hair white as snow. Growing up, I was never too interested in Corvettes, the only reason I even considered one was the Y body platform. Finding a lightweight V8 sports car with a decent suspension setup and good weight balance is hard, being a Corvette is just a byproduct. Parts are cheap, initial purchase price is cheap, and they perform great. I've got friends with Challengers and 5.0s, but the bulk of them are into Japanese/German cars. Corvette certainly doesn't mean much to them...
The following 2 users liked this post by ArtClassShank:
BRussell (02-27-2019), fsvoboda (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:04 AM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank
Pretty sure it was a design goal of the C7, to modernize and evolve the look into something a younger buyer would prefer. The average age of a Corvette buyer is 61, and that's up from 54 a decade ago.

I think the C7 was a success to some degree, it certainly evolved the look into something more sleek and "European". I also believe car enthusiasm in the younger generation has waned, stuff like Uber, Lyft, and the thought of impending driving automation has weakened the idea of owning any car, much less an impractical gas sucking sports car. Plus, driving is expensive, between insurance, a car note, and gas/repairs, it has to provide a ton of value to be worth it. Tesla seems to have created a lot of hype among my generation though, even with their faults. Electric torque and power is very interesting, it's the "cool" car to have at the moment.

Corvette will have to evolve, just as it always had, the nameplate is too important to ever discontinue, but stuff like electric motor systems/hybrid systems will most definitely seep into the Corvette. The C8 will give us an idea of where GM is going, but it's certainly going to be something very different from the C7.

I'm turning 25 in a week, and the stigma of owning a Corvette is definitely apparent. People my age see a Corvette as an old man mobile, going 55 in the right lane, wearing a Hawaiian shirt, hair white as snow. Growing up, I was never too interested in Corvettes, the only reason I even considered one was the Y body platform. Finding a lightweight V8 sports car with a decent suspension setup and good weight balance is hard, being a Corvette is just a byproduct. Parts are cheap, initial purchase price is cheap, and they perform great. I've got friends with Challengers and 5.0s, but the bulk of them are into Japanese/German cars. Corvette certainly doesn't mean much to them...
I see it as their problem if any of these little snowflakes drove a C7 they would wet themselves.
The following 3 users liked this post by GARYFINN:
Corvette ED (02-27-2019), flynbulldog (03-01-2019), repo czar (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:05 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Not sure where the furure lies for the Corvette, it has been around a long time but no doubt it's faced with some real challenges. I believe the C8 will be a huge factor on the future of the Corvette. There is no doubt the C8 will have to attract a new demographic of owners or it could be doomed.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM
gmarcucio
Drifting

Received 603 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by ArtClassShank

Thanks for chiming in! It was great to hear a younger persons feedback on this topic! And I agree with you on Tesla being hot material right now as is the electrification of the automobile. In addition to my 2019 Stingray I own a full electric 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV and the torque is amazing!!!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:37 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GARYFINN
I’ve owned, modded, tracked a plethora of cars mentioned here as “kid’s” cars. My first car was an Acura Integra. The quintessential FnF “ricer” if you will. Even we’ll into my adult years I’ve owned a variety of cars coveted by the “younger” consumers, alongside my BMWs. I’ve had a Fiat 500, Subaru WRX wagon, and Hyundai Veloster.

Each have had their enthusiast followings. And I’ve been active in each and every make and model’s community. Part of the fun and pleasure is meeting like minded people of diverse backgrounds and age. No matter which brand, make, and model, I’ve found car enthusiasts to be generally welcoming of others.

Except Corvette owners.

Don’t get me wrong. THIS community has been very accommodating of my BMW obsession. And I find other Corvette owners to warmly welcome other Corvette owners. And unlike Porsche owners, who tend to truly be elitist sometimes, Corvette owners don’t tend to look down upon you if you own an older, cheaper Corvette (probably because older Porsche’s are not cheaper, but quite the opposite).

From my outsider perspective, Corvette enthusiast population seems to be far more “homogeneous” than just about any other make and mode. BMW ownership, for example. Young. Old. Male. Female. White. Brown. Yellow. Same with Subaru, Hondacura, etc. Sure the population may be skewed one way or another (younger, Asian, whatever) but you’ll find 45 year old white guy in an Integra or a 24 year old Indian in a BMW quite often.

In my experience same can’t be said of the MAJORITY of Corvette ownership. It’s mostly white, conservative, old. I’m Asian, and I know of no other Asian in my huge circle of acquaintances that would EVER dream of owning a Corvette. Not because there’s anything wrong with the car, but the stigma that’s associates with said ownership.

It’s real.

So to OP’s point? In that regard Corvette is very much like Harley Davidson. The ownership and demographic of each are in lock step with the brand image each portrays. As old, conservative, white males start to get older and die out, they’re not managing to bring in a younger and wider audience to supplement said shrinking demographics, because, well...Most people can’t look past the middle aged, suffering from mid-life crisis, middle manager with self esteem issues and balding skull image that’s associated with HD ownership.

And when old, white, semi-retired white folks with disposable income that’s been fans of the Corvette since they were old enough to not wear diapers for the first time decry that the square tail-lights on the car or lack of flip-up lights or no more push-rod V-8 or mid engine design as sacrilege and “un-Corvette,” as if they’re some sort of progenitor of what IS Corvette? Well, just like the struggles HD is facing, the shifting demographics and buying habits of those that are in the prime of their purchasing powers will leave the brand and the make exactly where HD is finding themselves, but all too late, IMO.
The following 15 users liked this post by The HACK:
ArchitectMike (02-27-2019), Bigredwing (03-02-2019), Corgidog1 (02-27-2019), Corvette ED (02-27-2019), dvilin (02-27-2019), fsvoboda (02-27-2019), golden2husky (02-27-2019), jefnvk (03-01-2019), JMII (03-01-2019), lancekl (02-28-2019), MHE-Plex (02-28-2019), ONEOF137 (02-28-2019), rrajamani (02-27-2019), Slynky (02-28-2019), tonysz06 (03-01-2019) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:44 AM
Exia
Burning Brakes

Received 844 Likes on 351 Posts

I think GM's goal will be to try and maintain or further push the Corvette to the younger demographic. The C7 was designed in part for this. I think future generations will continue this trend.

Yes, Corvettes aren't cheap and I'm sure the average age isn't going to drop from 60 to 40 but they want those 35+ year olds who consider BMW, AMG, Audi to consider a Corvette where in the past they normally wouldn't.

Just like most people now who grew up loving Corvettes because they saw one when they were a kid and now bought one at 50, GM needs to keep that going. No 10 year old is going to look at a C5 or C6 and go wow in todays age, but a modern, stylish Corvette that caters to todays generation just might make them fall in love and purchase one when they are also 50.

As for me, I'm in my mid 20s and I have never liked the C4, C5 or C6. I love the C7. GMs push towards targeting a younger audience and captivating a younger generation is working, I'm proof. GM finally made something that doesn't look outdated after 3 years. It looks great both inside and out. This car really hit the mark for me and if GM keeps this up for future generations then I'm sold and will keep buying Corvettes.

I'm not a badge snob. I don't care if its a Chevy a Kia or a Ferrari. I just want 4 things from my sports cars. A modern, stylish exterior, a nice sporty looking interior, a good exhaust note and 2 seats. I don't care if it goes mid engine, AWD, hybrid or whatever else it needs to keep up with the modern era. As long as it meets those 4 criteria I will always consider it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Exia:
billiam01 (03-01-2019), kenownr (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 10:54 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

V8 or v6 with elec motors seem to be the wave of the future and I'm sure Vettres will follow at some point!
Old 02-27-2019, 11:10 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

In general I believe all muscle and sports cars will go by the wayside gradually over the years. Being around teenagers and younger people, they are just not interested nearly as much as us older guys and gals are. In fact a lot of them don't even have, nor want drivers licenses. My grandson and granddaughter and their friends have absolutely not interest in the cars. My son has a Z06 manual. I taught them to drive it, being a stick and all. Still no interest. Just text for a Uber!
The following 3 users liked this post by joemessman:
fsvoboda (02-27-2019), kenownr (02-28-2019), rmorin1249 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:33 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Everything has to evolve or become extinct. Cars just have to do it quicker. One bad model cycle can nearly kill the whole line.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

The C7 definitely attracted a whole new generation of corvette owners (myself included). I'm sure whatever the C8 is will disenfranchise some but attract others.
The following users liked this post:
fsvoboda (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 11:58 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

Average age of buyers buying new from dealer is going up because that's the demo with the disposable income. That won't change any time soon. GM's not trying to attract 20 year olds, but trying to steal some of those 35-50 year olds with money buying other marques. From what I've seen of the C7 they did a very good job with it.

C8 will be awesome and things will go on. I'm 37 and on my 5th Corvette FWIW.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:24 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

I dunno man. The ratio still seems disproportionately high:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...full-time.html

Almost 50% of C7 owners are RETIRED. Compare to other makes and models that require moderate disposable income, I suspect it'll be closer to 25% if not less. For example, NONE of my Porsche owning friends are close to being retired. I don't know of ANY Porsche owners in my circle that's retired, nor do I know of any BMW owners in my circle (except 1) that's retired.

Maybe I just don't know a lot of retired people, but it seems 50% of owners that are retired doesn't bode well to "attracting new generation of buyers" IMO.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM
bankers1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

ORCA is right. Engine options: 8, 6, Electric would help.

If the C8 tanks our Vettes value will also tank......It better be GOOD. But it is in the right direction with a Mid-Engine, they could add "wing doors" at the factory for an upcharge of
less than $ 1,350. a car to compete with the real exotics. JMHO.

The imports are cheap, have a plethora of matching parts, great economy, has a back seat for friends to party (if there are no subwoofers there) and available at every used car dealer
in the world, lot's to choose from. The Vette is usually only expensive, very part specific, the economy of a Truck, limited seating and not as much to choose from out there.

We better have a Road and Track favorite C8 review......
Old 02-27-2019, 03:52 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxpowers
The C7 definitely attracted a whole new generation of corvette owners (myself included).
What specifically made the C7 of interest, when earlier generations were not?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:17 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by The HACK
I dunno man. The ratio still seems disproportionately high:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...full-time.html

I would take the forum poll with a grain of salt. I would expect a lot of the working people to spend less time on forums doing polls. Hard to say.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette popularity in future generations

Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Elk
What specifically made the C7 of interest, when earlier generations were not?
When I bought my C7 it was a DD. Having come from my prior S5, the interior and electronics of the C6 didn't cut it for me as a DD. The C7 was such a jump in style inside and out. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate the C6
The following 2 users liked this post by Maxpowers:
Elk (02-27-2019), RapidC84B (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:23 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I've been a Corvette fan my entire life, but the sentiment above is what I often heard about the C5/6... i.e. we know they perform, but we don't care because we want a nicer interior. This doesn't apply to me as I valued performance on track over anything, but I guess I'm not the norm.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
bfit (03-01-2019), Maxpowers (02-28-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:12 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
The tail light complaints seem to have calmed down, flip-up lights have been illegal for years, the V-8 turns out to be surprisingly efficient (my last tank of gas was 30 mpg), and the mid-engine should be a plus for younger buyers.

I think that the real question is whether younger buyers will ignore the old-guy stigma and see the real plus qualities of Corvette. I'm not sure. I've got a C7 (cheaper than many pickups); I might buy a C8 if it doesn't bust the budget, but that would probably be my last Corvette. (I'm 69.)

If it dies out, it dies out.

Stuff changes. Adapt or die.

Quick Reply: Corvette popularity in future generations