Sponsored by:

Bad dealership experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:22 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 416 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The car is paid for by the dealer before the car ever leaves the factory. They own it. The transport company is responsible for any damage found between the time they inspect it when loading and when the dealer inspects it upon delivery. The manufacturer is responsible for any defects in workmanship both mechanically and appearance. The dealer is the authorized repair station for these defects contractually.

In most every state there is a threshold amount when damage must be reported to the purchasing customer. The dealer is under no obligation to disclose anything up to that amount or any cosmetic repairs that are warranty. In all reality, what would you do with the vehicles that have damage or need cosmetic warranty corrections? The cars are certainly not throw-away items and easily replaced. We are realistically talking about thousands of cars yearly of every make and model...not just Corvettes. Obviously we would all be paying more for the merchandise if all damaged ones were just thrown away.
..and the potential buyer has the right of rejection and as in most States gets his deposit back. I would not take a new car that was damaged that is the dealers problem as to what he does with it, I walk away, period, You're right, they own the car so get me a new one. As I mentioned before, the folks on this forum are firm Vette owners and Ill be shocked if you or anyone else here takes a damaged car. Its the dealers problem.

Last edited by V Vette; 03-08-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:26 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Over the last fifty years I have often heard two entirely different and opposed claims regarding service departments:

1. Service departments are at best break-even propositions. They are there as a required convenience.
2. Service departments are the real money-maker for dealers. It's car sales that don't make much money.

Perhaps both are true, depending on dealer.
Service departments are extremely complicated to make function efficiently and profitably. In the past generations the dealer principles primarily came up from the sales end of the business and had little experience with the service end. A number of dealers did great buying and selling but struggled with the servicing part.

There are a number of areas in a dealership that have great potential and it depends on an operators talents as to where it works best. There have been folks in the past that did great with parts and did it very profitably. There are stores that are great in the F&I end and a number who are very good with used cars. It does make a great story to tell the buyer of a vehicle that we really make all our money servicing cars and just try to break even selling them. How can you argue with that?
Old 03-08-2019, 03:41 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by V Vette
..and the potential buyer has the right of rejection and as in most States gets his deposit back. I would not take a new car that was damaged that is the dealers problem as to what he does with it, I walk away, period, You're right, they own the car so get me a new one. As I mentioned before, the folks on this forum are firm Vette owners and Ill be shocked if you or anyone else here takes a damaged car. Its the dealers problem.
That is very true. The purchaser can always back out of the deal before taking delivery. Your attitude, while very valid, is also the reason dealers don't automatically tell everyone who walks in, the car needed $1000 of work to get it right...also valid for them by state law in most cases.

The first new Corvette I ever bought was 1976 C3. When it came off the truck, it was terrible as most all of them in that era. It went straight to the body shop where it was stripped, all the bonding strip re-done, and completely painted. It was nearly perfect when finished. A year later I sold it when I bought a Ford store and there were Vette lovers lined up wanting it because it was so well done. The same treatment today and people on this forum would declare it worthless and it should be crushed!
The following users liked this post:
WKM (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 03:43 PM
dklumpp
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

..and the potential buyer has the right of rejection and as in most States gets his deposit back. I would not take a new car that was damaged that is the dealers problem as to what he does with it, I walk away, period, You're right, they own the car so get me a new one.
Semi true. Dealer does not technically own the vehicle until it's invoiced which happens once the vehicle is on ground not once it's built. This is done so dealer is not paying flooring charges on a vehicle that hasn't arrived yet and may be delayed due to weather, damage in transit, vehicle stop sales, etc. In the case of factory defects upon delivery it's not the dealers responsibility it's on the manufacturer to remedy or take the vehicle back. All manufacturers require a pre delivery inspection to be performed by the dealership prior to vehicle being available to the customer to find and address any concerns found during inspection. In most instances a manufacturer will not take the vehicle back for minor imperfections as most have specific guidelines as to what is considered acceptable condition
Old 03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 416 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by dklumpp
Semi true. Dealer does not technically own the vehicle until it's invoiced which happens once the vehicle is on ground not once it's built. This is done so dealer is not paying flooring charges on a vehicle that hasn't arrived yet and may be delayed due to weather, damage in transit, vehicle stop sales, etc. In the case of factory defects upon delivery it's not the dealers responsibility it's on the manufacturer to remedy or take the vehicle back. All manufacturers require a pre delivery inspection to be performed by the dealership prior to vehicle being available to the customer to find and address any concerns found during inspection. In most instances a manufacturer will not take the vehicle back for minor imperfections as most have specific guidelines as to what is considered acceptable condition
I like your explanation and good info, however bottom line, the customer does not have to take the car. Where are the forum dealers on this as it would be interesting to see how they handle these issues

Last edited by V Vette; 03-08-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM
dklumpp
Pro

I like your explanation and good info, however bottom line, the customer does not have to take the car. Where are the forum dealers on this as they know. Thanks
You are absolutely correct. I'm just trying to correct the record that everyone seems to think it's the dealers fault when in fact it's the manufacturers responsibility to remedy any imperfections and vehicle issues upon delivery to the dealer. We can only do what the manufacturer approves and if they don't feel it's warranted they will not approve the claim or repair. Nothing we can do at that point accept try to remedy the situation as best we can which usually means letting the customer walk or try to get them a different car. One thing I've learned over the past 20 years working in dealerships is that there are certain customers who are never satisfied no matter what you do and sometimes it's better to let them go elsewhere
V Vette (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:31 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

The dealers account or the floorpan source is drafted for the vehicle before loading on transportation. There is a provision in the process where the dealer is not charged interest on the vehicle for the time of delivery which was 10 days. If the vehicle is delivered late, the dealer can file for the charges. As you know, every car comes with a floorpan credit from the factory to begin with.

I am curious about your scenario on factory defects found on the car and saying it is the manufacturers responsibility to cure. Those defect possibilities are the basic reason for the factory paid PDI. Those and certain adjustments, clean-up, and installation of some accessories. By the Sales and Service Agreement the dealer is the authorized servicing agent and while the factory's responsibility is to pay, the dealer is responsible to manage the work. Are you saying something has changed?
Old 03-08-2019, 05:10 PM
dklumpp
Pro

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
The dealers account or the floorpan source is drafted for the vehicle before loading on transportation. There is a provision in the process where the dealer is not charged interest on the vehicle for the time of delivery which was 10 days. If the vehicle is delivered late, the dealer can file for the charges. As you know, every car comes with a floorpan credit from the factory to begin with.

I am curious about your scenario on factory defects found on the car and saying it is the manufacturers responsibility to cure. Those defect possibilities are the basic reason for the factory paid PDI. Those and certain adjustments, clean-up, and installation of some accessories. By the Sales and Service Agreement the dealer is the authorized servicing agent and while the factory's responsibility is to pay, the dealer is responsible to manage the work. Are you saying something has changed?
You are correct we do facilitate the repair but only what's covered under the pdi inspection. If a problem is found during inspection we will fix it and manufacturer does pay however fit and finish and paint issues are on a case by case basis requiring pictures and sometimes an inspection by a manufacturer rep before any repair is done. We once had a grill that had partially melted and when the rep came out he said it was because of the way the truck was parked that the sun reflected off the showroom window and acted like a magnifying glass and melted it. Did not pay for it lol

Old 03-08-2019, 05:46 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

You are correct we do facilitate the repair but only what's covered under the pdi inspection. If a problem is found during inspection we will fix it and manufacturer does pay however fit and finish and paint issues are on a case by case basis requiring pictures and sometimes an inspection by a manufacturer rep before any repair is done. We once had a grill that had partially melted and when the rep came out he said it was because of the way the truck was parked that the sun reflected off the showroom window and acted like a magnifying glass and melted it. Did not pay for it lol
Thank you for your response. Early on before buying my first store I was a Service Director in a large Chevy store. I know first hand just how difficult they can be.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

You are absolutely correct. I'm just trying to correct the record that everyone seems to think it's the dealers fault when in fact it's the manufacturers responsibility to remedy any imperfections and vehicle issues upon delivery to the dealer. We can only do what the manufacturer approves and if they don't feel it's warranted they will not approve the claim or repair. Nothing we can do at that point accept try to remedy the situation as best we can which usually means letting the customer walk or try to get them a different car. One thing I've learned over the past 20 years working in dealerships is that there are certain customers who are never satisfied no matter what you do and sometimes it's better to let them go elsewhere
The customer's only interface is with the dealer. Therefore, who is he supposed to blame for the defects? The dealer would have needed to step up and make the car right. That didn't happen. The dealer ended up blaming the customer. That wasn't right.
V Vette (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:57 PM
Bondojohn
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmhornz71
If I read the OP post correctly this car was a Callaway so it didnt come right to dealer it went to Callaway first and could have been damaged there or in transit form CT to the dealer. If Im wrong I apologize
Your right. 2nd car went to Callaway first. Doubt the bubble in decal and sand like grains and runs in paint happened there.
Jmhornz71 (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 PM
Jmhornz71
Drifting

Received 476 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Bondojohn
Your right. 2nd car went to Callaway first. Doubt the bubble in decal and sand like grains and runs in paint happened there.
Thanks for the reply, I deleted the post when I realized I misunderstood. No those didnt happen at Callaway
Old 03-09-2019, 08:59 AM
dklumpp
Pro

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The customer's only interface is with the dealer. Therefore, who is he supposed to blame for the defects? The dealer would have needed to step up and make the car right. That didn't happen. The dealer ended up blaming the customer. That wasn't right.
The dealer offered to fix the problem which was to repaint the door but the OP refused the repair instead he wanted ANOTHER new special order vette. I love how gm employees who build and design these cars are considered American hero's (they even have their own national holiday) yet those of us on the ground who have to deal with the all headaches and problems associated with the product they designed and built and the sale of their product are considered liars and thieves and "bubba"s.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:05 AM
justplainjim
Drifting

Received 355 Likes on 220 Posts

The dealer offered to fix the problem which was to repaint the door but the OP refused the repair instead he wanted ANOTHER new special order vette. I love how gm employees who build and design these cars are considered American hero's (they even have their own national holiday) yet those of us on the ground who have to deal with the all headaches and problems associated with the product they designed and built and the sale of their product are considered liars and thieves and "bubba"s.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:49 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by justplainjim
I accepted two defective products fixed improperly and wasn’t accepting a third. Anyone that orders a car today has the right to turn it down and get there deposit back. It’s been done millions of times. If I’m a bad guy than millions of people are bad also. If more people do this maybe some of the auto companies would get ther act together, do better quality work and inspections and fix them at the factory before they leave. I feel bad for the dealers having to accept these cars with things wrong with them and dealing with customers not willing to accep them. But that’s our right. They aren’t
eval persons. The cars I accepted and the last one had very obvious paint problems that should of been caught and fixed at the factory. Dont blaim the customer for a deceive product. It’s not our fault. Some say the Corvette is a bargan. So we should overlook obvious defects. I don’t care how much of a bargain it is it should be done right. Or don’t send it out.

Last edited by Bondojohn; 03-09-2019 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:01 AM
ricks327
Race Director

Received 1,613 Likes on 901 Posts

I'm having a hard time believing this thread is still going on, and on, and on.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:15 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by ricks327
me too. I tried to put and end to it but members keep posting. Does anyone know how long the longest thread ever posted. I’ll bet this is one of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad dealership experience

Old 03-09-2019, 10:15 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ricks327
It appears its about a ego trip, and its not going well, so more is added to prolong it!
WKM (03-10-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 10:29 AM
Bondojohn
Pro

Originally Posted by 6spdc6
It appears its about a ego trip, and its not going well, so more is added to prolong it!
🤦*♂️
Old 03-09-2019, 11:19 PM
LuisZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 404 Likes on 203 Posts

Quick Reply: Bad dealership experience