C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire ?? Cold, NY What would the experts do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 03:03 PM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Default Tire ?? Cold, NY What would the experts do?

OK,
Here is my question. I am going to head out for Sebring tomorrow with my 2018 Grand Sport (Pilot super sport tires). I live in upstate NY where the temp tomorrow will be like 10 - 15 degrees, no snow so thats good. The car will be in a heated garage overnight. Obviously, once on the road for several hours the outside temp will be increasing going south. I have heard that the tires should not be used in the really cold weather. What do you guys think I should do. The tires will be warm from the garage right off. I don't know, give me some feedback if you would. Thanks
Old 03-05-2019, 03:04 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I wouldn't
The following 2 users liked this post by KenHorse:
Avanti (03-05-2019), vdavenp802 (03-05-2019)
Old 03-05-2019, 03:12 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Had a C6 Z06 and now a C7 with those type tires. IF you just have to go out, drive like you got a state trooper behind you that hates your guts and wants to give you about a 100 tickets.

I live in the Southern Adirondacks and had the cars out in cold weather BE EXCEEDINGLY CAREFUL, car can get slippery real fast. Also put in in the bad weather mode with the console switch.

good luck-
Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 417 Likes on 289 Posts

Foosh.......
Old 03-05-2019, 03:35 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

I'd second not doing this - and I wouldn't with PSS tires. The weather might be good now, but what about the return trip home?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:49 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

You should make it, but taking another car would be a much wiser choice.

The temperatures you are suggesting are well below the glass point of the tires and they will behave as if oiled.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:59 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by georgehafe
OK,
Here is my question. I am going to head out for Sebring tomorrow with my 2018 Grand Sport (Pilot super sport tires). I live in upstate NY where the temp tomorrow will be like 10 - 15 degrees, no snow so thats good. The car will be in a heated garage overnight. Obviously, once on the road for several hours the outside temp will be increasing going south. I have heard that the tires should not be used in the really cold weather. What do you guys think I should do. The tires will be warm from the garage right off. I don't know, give me some feedback if you would. Thanks
Its more than a slippery feel, the tread can actually separate.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:56 PM
georgehafe
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In 1, 2, 6, 8 Veteran

Thanks all, Made the decision to take another car. Thanks again for the feedback. Better safe than sorry
Old 03-05-2019, 04:59 PM
phalse
Burning Brakes

Received 359 Likes on 239 Posts

tires might be warm, at least for a while, but the ground wont. the tires on your car just arent for those conditions, you need some kind of badass all season tire. just square yourself with the fact that based on where you live, you might not get all the juice out of it that you could and would if you were in SoCal or texas or something.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:32 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

OP - unless you track your car, consider getting A/S for it.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

Many posts here that reference and/or reproduce the correct page in your Manual.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:27 PM
phantom1
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

I've done it for many years, with no issues. I'm sure you won't be the only performance car on the road. Enjoy the ride.

Last edited by phantom1; 03-05-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-05-2019, 09:54 PM
Spitfire Mk1
Formula 1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 233 Likes on 140 Posts

Guess I m more belt and suspenders guy. I wouldn’t do it. Tires are to operate in temps at least 40 degrees.

If if rains, gets windy, or worse, you’ll be over the road, no less increased stopping distances. If was only for a very short distance - maybe.

If was me, would change to at least all season tires.
Old 03-06-2019, 12:35 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

OK,
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't do it. I'll be in the Corvette Corral at Sebring the following week, but my new ZO6 will be home in my garage covered up and plugged in until we get a few good rains to wash all the winter crap off the roads, and the temps get over the mid 50's. Plus, my area is forecast for over a foot of snow in the next 36 hours, so that and mid-teen temps are not a good choice for driving a high powered low slung sports car with foot wide summer only tires, things could get sideways really quickly, both figuratively and literally. JetBlue will get me from Syracuse to Orlando in less than 3 hours next Tuesday, and Sebring's a bit over an hour drive from there. Good luck on the drive.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:05 AM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

OK,
I can't tell you what you should do, but I can tell you what I have done. On PSS (which you said, but I'm not sure that it's correct, aren't they Sport cups?).

I was on the way back from Austin to So. MD. I was chasing between storms. I started out from Augusta on my last leg ~600 mi, in the wee hours of the morning before more severe cold came in. 23 degrees F when I left the hotel. It was a bit squirrelly heading out from the hotel (where the car was outside, so the tires were 23 deg). I put it in W, and was very ginger with it, especially getting onto the freeway. It took about 20 minutes before the tires really felt right, but after that, it was fine. I drove through Columbia, SC where the snow was on the ground, and a bit on the road. The tires felt fine. The temps dropped as the front came in and by the time I got to the 95 corridor, it was 9 deg F. Needless to say, I only stopped long enough to pee or gas up, not both at the same time.

As I worked my way back north, the temps rose, but there was blowing snow in VA. Got to Md in sunny conditions, in the low 30s, just in time for a late lunch. Good thing because I was starving and I had to pee again.

My tires did not peel off, nor did they crack.

Last edited by owc6; 03-06-2019 at 01:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by owc6:
JerryU (03-06-2019), phantom1 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 01:40 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Starting out in a warm garage and getting on the road asap there won't be any issue with those tires as they will maintain their temperature. You need to get up to speed (70 mph) asap and keep speed up until the ambient temps get to about 20 degrees. Higher speeds generate more tire heat and help them keep them warm. Other than that you shouldn't have an issue. The Cup2 tire is the one that shouldn't be driven or stored in temps below 21 degrees. Use the throttle gently and you won't have any problem. No different than driving any other car in low grip situations NO SUDDEN CHANGES in throttle, brakes or steering. The Word Is SMOOOOOOTH.

Here is a link to the Michelin Owner's Manual that doesn't mention anything about damage caused by driving in low temps.
https://www.michelinman.com/img/stor...6_REV_0716.pdf

Bill
Old 03-06-2019, 03:18 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
Had a C6 Z06 and now a C7 with those type tires. IF you just have to go out, drive like you got a state trooper behind you that hates your guts and wants to give you about a 100 tickets.

I live in the Southern Adirondacks and had the cars out in cold weather BE EXCEEDINGLY CAREFUL, car can get slippery real fast. Also put in in the bad weather mode with the console switch.

good luck-
What he said. Go easy, don't corner hard, be aware that braking distances will be longer.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire ?? Cold, NY What would the experts do?

Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

Put it in Winter mode and don't hit the gas hard or brake hard.
Everyone on the roads around you only have worn out bald tires and they make it everyday, so you will be OK.

I love my AS3+. Best tires for the Vette in any weather.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

OK,
Aint this a kick in the nuts, New car and cant drive it in the cold. I have a 2018 and its up on my lift in a garage since October till April . Looking forward to wearing out the stock tires and getting a new set that I can use if I chose to in the cooler weather.

When I was a kid I thought I lived in upstate NY (Rockland County NY ) it was only after my first snowmobiling trip to Old forge NY did I realize I lived in southern NY and was considered an uppity city folk to the real upstate people
Old 03-06-2019, 08:07 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 417 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose
Aint this a kick in the nuts, New car and cant drive it in the cold. I have a 2018 and its up on my lift in a garage since October till April . Looking forward to wearing out the stock tires and getting a new set that I can use if I chose to in the cooler weather.

When I was a kid I thought I lived in upstate NY (Rockland County NY ) it was only after my first snowmobiling trip to Old forge NY did I realize I lived in southern NY and was considered an uppity city folk to the real upstate people
Too funny! How about a kid from Brooklyn thinking Rockland County was upstate!
The following 2 users liked this post by V Vette:
Ih2lose (03-06-2019), ZMEGO (03-08-2019)

Quick Reply: Tire ?? Cold, NY What would the experts do?