Sponsored by:

Why not a C7 & C8?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 09:03 PM
HARVEY T.GLUCK
Drifting

Received 651 Likes on 151 Posts

Default Why not a C7 & C8?????

Not sure if this has been presented before———But Why not a C8 and a Refreshed C7....,??? To me it makes complete sense for at least 2 or 3 Years or at least till the present Senior Generation lose there Drivers Licenses.....
GM could eliminate a few of the C7 models——-keep the low end C7 and top of the line........ The low end to get the younger generation into the market assuming that the C8 is up there in Price.....Also keep the better selling model be it the Grand Sport or ZO6... whatever markets the best....
I find it very hard to believe that GM pourerd all That GREEN into. Bowling Green to Build just One Car.......The economics do not work...
I personally feel there is a market for the Rear Driving Corvette especially those Buyers who are Unhappy with No Manual in the C8 for now.....One Caveat being a necessary Face lift of some kind in the C7.....
So what you say from a. VERY HAPPY ZR1 Owner.................Harvey.....
The following 2 users liked this post by HARVEY T.GLUCK:
Mike Furman@Criswell (03-09-2019), Rebel Yell (03-08-2019)
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Car & Driver and Don Sherman agree with you that the C7 will continue on after the C8 is introduced. During the planning for the plant expansion by the panel supplier they made reference to the C7 and ME car being manufactured at the same time. The also stated that GM was planning a new car to be released around 2022 but didn't know what that car was. It was to begin production shortly after the C7 production was ended in 2021. Some believe that car will be the continuation of the FE Corvette in a new skin and possibly new power plants. But that's just pure speculation. Personally, I believe the C7 will be here for at least one more production year (2020) even if the ME car is introduced later this year for production as a 2020 model year car.
The Don Sherman discussion was presented over on the C8 forum. Here's a link:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ecap-here.html
Old 03-07-2019, 09:45 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,422 Likes on 1,597 Posts

“Why not” indeed. Speculation will continue until details are released.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:07 PM
Toombs
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

You’ll get yelled at in the C8 forums if you insinuate that a FE Corvette will be available along with a ME Corvette. By the mean people on this forum. Just a heads up.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:51 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

OK......so the C7 wannabes, would still have a shot at a downgraded budget priced C7 then?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:52 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I think this will depend on the projected price of the C8 and how well the new design goes over with potential buyers. Right now there is a huge inventory of C7s sitting on dealers lots, so sales seem to be slowing down, perhaps in anticipation of the C8. If the C8 is priced considerably higher than what the C7 goes for now, I could see the C7 returning to a hot selling car for those that do not want to shell out a bunch more money on the C8.

But then again, buyers can be fickle people so who knows what will end up happening.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Yep, I'm sure some might even like a "New C7" with a nastalgic 427 cid engine and even a side pipe options! That demand is NOT sufficient to justify GM building the limited number. IMO the base C8 will be priced at a point where most current Vette owners who buy new ones will purchase it. For those who currently buy only used Vettes or can't afford a new one, there will be used C8s!

As Andy Pilgrim said "it's a risk" but IMO GM doesn't have a choice. They can't continue to sell an old tech, lager cid pushrod engine in the current World environment. No matter how much gasoline is taxed, even if it gets to the $10/gallon like Europe to reduce use and "force folks to buy more efficient cars or EV's" (which would be terrible but anticipate it could happen) some will have the money to buy it. In fact I'll still buy gas for the 502 cid Chevy BB engine in my street rod that gets ~10 mpg! But not for a DD!

The World is changing and as much as I like a standard shift (all I have ever had in ~60 years of driving) I'll "learn to accept and enjoy" an efficient DCT! (BTW would NOT buy a slush box for my DD, especially an A8 or A10, so glad the C8 will at least have an efficient DCT.) Bring on a 4.2 Liter (or less,) double overhead cam, twin turbo Blackwing engine being built in Bowling Green (just like Ferrari builds it's engine in the "assembly plant" (which is why Bowling Green was expanded in addition to getting a much larger modern paint line.) Add a 160 hp FWD electric hybrid as Andy Pilgrim, an "insider," was allowed to leak!

Yep I'll even spring for the extra cost hybrid variant to get a system that recovers some of that wasted braking energy that is about 1/3 of what gets to the rear wheels to power the car! I'll also appreciate that short duration hybrid similar in power to what Alpha is adding to the 2.9 Liter 505 hp Giulia to get a combined 645 hp in a 4 door sports sedan. Although I like the current large cid NA engine (even prefer it to one with a energy wasting supercharger) I'll be happy to have some of the 30% energy that is wasted out the exhaust being used in turbocharger to provide more power.

I think there will be enough other's like me to make the C8 viable!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-08-2019 at 01:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cowboy casey (03-11-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:45 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,401 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

GM sold only 800 C7's last month. There are over 9,000 sitting on lots waiting to be sold. BG is producing 93 a day.

Doesn't sound very conducive to having the C7 parallel the C8 to me

Last edited by KenHorse; 03-08-2019 at 01:46 AM.
CP (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

"for at least 2 or 3 Years or at least till the present Senior Generation lose there Drivers Licenses."

not to be rude,,but screw you.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:31 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Toombs
You’ll get yelled at in the C8 forums if you insinuate that a FE Corvette will be available along with a ME Corvette. By the mean people on this forum. Just a heads up.
True, but I'm still here. They did twist my arm to the point that I had to get rotator cuff surgery but I'm recovering nicely.
JerryU (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 11:54 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, I'm sure some might even like a "New C7" with a nastalgic 427 cid engine and even a side pipe options! That demand is NOT sufficient to justify GM building the limited number. IMO the base C8 will be priced at a point where most current Vette owners who buy new ones will purchase it. For those who currently buy only used Vettes or can't afford a new one, there will be used C8s!

As Andy Pilgrim said "it's a risk" but IMO GM doesn't have a choice. They can't continue to sell an old tech, lager cid pushrod engine in the current World environment. No matter how much gasoline is taxed, even if it gets to the $10/gallon like Europe to reduce use and "force folks to buy more efficient cars or EV's" (which would be terrible but anticipate it could happen) some will have the money to buy it. In fact I'll still buy gas for the 502 cid Chevy BB engine in my street rod that gets ~10 mpg! But not for a DD!

The World is changing and as much as I like a standard shift (all I have ever had in ~60 years of driving) I'll "learn to accept and enjoy" an efficient DCT! (BTW would NOT buy a slush box for my DD, especially an A8 or A10, so glad the C8 will at least have an efficient DCT.) Bring on a 4.2 Liter (or less,) double overhead cam, twin turbo Blackwing engine being built in Bowling Green (just like Ferrari builds it's engine in the "assembly plant" (which is why Bowling Green was expanded in addition to getting a much larger modern paint line.) Add a 160 hp FWD electric hybrid as Andy Pilgrim, an "insider," was allowed to leak!

Yep I'll even spring for the extra cost hybrid variant to get a system that recovers some of that wasted braking energy that is about 1/3 of what gets to the rear wheels to power the car! I'll also appreciate that short duration hybrid similar in power to what Alpha is adding to the 2.9 Liter 505 hp Giulia to get a combined 645 hp in a 4 door sports sedan. Although I like the current large cid NA engine (even prefer it to one with a energy wasting supercharger) I'll be happy to have some of the 30% energy that is wasted out the exhaust being used in turbocharger to provide more power.

I think there will be enough other's like me to make the C8 viable!
Im with you JerryU! I want a C8 and btw, you have many graphical nice posts! Thank you.
JerryU (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 01:37 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Because all the dealership has been ordering C7 to keep their allocation up in preparation of the C8, Yes they will be plenty of C7 available when C8 are all sold out.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Fogboundturtle
Because all the dealership has been ordering C7 to keep their allocation up in preparation of the C8, Yes they will be plenty of C7 available when C8 are all sold out.
However, I found two things re Kerbeck.

1st There have been no GM incentive discounts and have recently listed a number of cars in stock with an extra $1000 incentive! Is GM getting close to a C8 anmpumcment??

2nd, They were not taking hold money to get in line for a C8. There were not doing that for the C7 for months after a few dealers were. I was able to put hold money on a C7 with a very large Vette Dealer at an agreed to price based on whatever MSRP would be before there was pricing and ~5 months before the 1st production started. Not sure if Kerbeck is taking “hold a spot” money for a C8 but you could call and ask!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-08-2019 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:57 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

They would not hit the sales numbers. They are tanking as is. GM has almost a years supply sitting on lots right now.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:58 PM
Fogboundturtle
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 81 Posts

Even my local dealership, which is sponsoring the local corvette club, has been telling us they will be very aggressive with the C8 and their current C7 inventory. They want to keep their number up.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:36 PM
Superstar555
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I hope the C7 prices start dropping. Mine is only a year old, but I'm already planning my next.

C8 = DCT ONLY = NO THANKS.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:46 PM
dbirdhouse1
Safety Car

Received 876 Likes on 588 Posts

Default Agree with a legend

When Mr. Gluck discusses Vettes it's like the old EF Hutton ads, you must listen. There is no one on this site who represents
the Corvette more than Harvey Gluck. And he happens to be correct.....would I follow Moses across the parted waters, yes, the same with
Mr. Gluck!

Get notified of new replies

To Why not a C7 & C8?????

Old 03-08-2019, 04:07 PM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU

2nd, They were not taking hold money to get in line for a C8. There were not doing that for the C7 for months after a few dealers were. I was able to put hold money on a C7 with a very large Vette Dealer at an agreed to price based on whatever MSRP would be before there was pricing and ~5 months before the 1st production started. Not sure if Kerbeck is taking “hold a spot” money for a C8 but you could call and ask!
I received an email from Kerbeck's earlier this week stating that I could send them a "refundable" $1000 to get my name on a list for a C8 when they become available.
JerryU (03-08-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 04:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spinkick
They would not hit the sales numbers. They are tanking as is. GM has almost a years supply sitting on lots right now.
Guessing how long they will be in the pipeline is a crap shoot! Recall when I ordered my Grand Sport built in Bowing Green from Kerbeck. It was early in 2017 and winter discounts were very good. My concern was what would happen to the many cars they had in stock as the shut down to Bowling Green occurred in the summer for renovation. Appeared to be a question how long it would take. And the physical additions were very large and from y experaince would likely be delayed. Kerbeck discounts were somewhat less when the shutdown started. Theu quickly reduced further as the cars in inventory reduced!

Why not! Selling ~1200/year; ~25/week meant they had to guess on their desired inventory level or be out of cars. Soon the 1LT's were gone and discounts for the higher optioned cars reduced further. You only have so many cars- why run out before the new ones you have on order will be in inventory!

C8 Possibilities
When folks who have been waiting for dealers "to give the C7's in stock away" and the C8 MSRP price comes in even as little as 10% higher (could be more, even for the base car) and there will be no discounts for some time on C8s! So that hoped for $45,000 new C7 may never happen (See Kerbeck has a new 2019 now for $47,000.) When the 1LTs are gone that leaves higher optioned cars and perhaps colors fewer folks want. Discounts may get even less if enough folks, for whatever reason, don't want a new C8.

When the realization that there is no standard shift hits may be those scurrying to get the last new Vette with a standard shift! Cars in stock may move quickly! Perhaps my 2017 Grand Sport M7 used car price will go up! Not concerned either way as when I am ready to buy will sell mine on my own at whatever the market dictates!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-08-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:42 PM
BELVIN20
Burning Brakes

Received 517 Likes on 305 Posts

Watch this segment of Autoline Detroit, segment is about 30 min long but great info on the C8

http://www.autoline.tv/journal/?cat=1513
fsvoboda (03-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Why not a C7 & C8?????