C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Out of state dealers — normal to require proof of registration to release the car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 05:59 PM
dekaliber
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Out of state dealers — normal to require proof of registration to release the car?

Frustrating experience with out of state dealer continues... This is my first experience buying a new vehicle out of state so I have no idea if this is typical, so I'd love to get some input from someone else. Ideally a dealer outside of California who frequently sells to California customers, or someone from California who has bought a new car from out of state. Dealer I'm working with is located in MA in case that's an important detail.

So, I received the paperwork from them yesterday and everything looked good. I got the checks together and sent it back with the signed paperwork, which they received it this morning. My carrier informed me that they could have the car picked up Tuesday or Wednesday, so I get the dealer on the phone to confirm that everything is good to go.

Turns out they actually need me to register or title the car in California before they can release the vehicle to the carrier, and are overnighting notarized copies of the completed paperwork so that I can do so. Apparently they require some sort of proof that the car is intended for use in California or else they could get hit by fines from Chevrolet in case I end up shipping the car overseas or something. Is that a legit requirement from Chevy?

I haven't tried to do this yet but from what I'm seeing online at the dmv.ca.gov website, I'm not even sure I can register a vehicle from out of state without the vehicle being present, since a physical inspection is supposedly necessary. (FWIW, I don't remember having to do this with the cars I brought when I moved here initially, but that was 7 years ago and my memory is pretty foggy)

I called the dealer back and they said I should at least be able to get a CA title from the DMV after paying the taxes on it, and that would be enough proof for them to release the vehicle. I guess I'll try that tomorrow, but it seems like a really *** backwards process and a bunch of hoops to jump through.

Has anyone else had a similar experience with an out-of-state purchase of a new vehicle? Dealers selling to out of state customers, is there a requirement to see proof of use within that state before releasing the vehicle?
Old 03-08-2019, 06:09 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

No you cannot get either registration or a title in California without the vehicle being inspected by Ca DMV or at a CA AAA office. The two things they must check are the emissions sticker which must state Ca emissions and they also check the vin against the paperwork. All cars produced for US sale for the past 6-8 years have both Fed and Ca emissions numbers under the hood, nevertheless that must be physically verified by a DMV official or DMV has authorized AAA to do it also.

Sounds like they have never shipped a car to California before. See if they will ship it to a local dealer for you to pick up there. The local dealer will do the paperwork. It is called a courtesy delivery. Lots of dealers won't do it but some will. Check around with your local Chebby dealers.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:14 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

One other thing is that you must actually have a smog station smog test the car prior to registering it if you buy out of state. Again a local dealer could do it but there is a catch. The current pcm in the Corvette will not show the Catalyst monitor complete until the car has over 1000 miles on it. And you can't put 1000 miles on it without a smog sticker. Cal dealers know this. There is a workaround. You can go to a DMV referee and they understand the problem and will smog the car and sign off on it without the monitor showing complete. But a smog shop cannot do that. Do a search here and you will find the actual form and places you need to take it to get that sign off. The EPA has approved the car with this limitation so everyone knows about it but the old rules just run you into this Catch 22 situation. Hence the referee station workaround.

BTW, you may get out of that smog test requirement if you do a courtesy delivery as that delivery may qualify the car as "bought in California." Check with a local dealer. The additional smog test requirement is for cars bought out of state and shipped directly to you.

Last edited by pkincy; 03-08-2019 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:26 PM
dekaliber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pkincy
Sounds like they have never shipped a car to California before. See if they will ship it to a local dealer for you to pick up there. The local dealer will do the paperwork. It is called a courtesy delivery. Lots of dealers won't do it but some will. Check around with your local Chebby dealers.
Is courtesy delivery a thing for cars that are not being shipped directly from GM? This is for a new 2018 car that was still on an out-of-state dealer's lot, for what it's worth.

I mean, I've already purchased the car, and I think the sale is already is recorded in their system. If I pay for the car to be shipped to a local dealer, how would the paperwork work? Since I own the car, in theory couldn't I just pick up the car from the local dealer and go to the DMV myself from there? I guess I'm not sure how this solves the inherent problem of them not trusting me to actually register the car once I get it (which seems ridiculous).

Would I have to pay that local dealer to handle the paperwork? (Assuming yes)
Old 03-08-2019, 06:31 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Too late for courtesy delivery. That's from the factory to a local dealer not the dealer you ordered from.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:33 PM
dekaliber
Intermediate

One other thing is that you must actually have a smog station smog test the car prior to registering it if you buy out of state.
Wait, I thought the smog requirement is waived for new vehicles (under 6 years old)?

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1...dmv/vr/smogfaq

My car is new. Am I still required to get the biennial smog inspection?
Vehicles registered in areas subject to the biennial smog certification program are required to submit evidence of a smog certification every other renewal period. Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification. The registration renewal notice mailed to you by the department will indicate if a smog certification is required. If a smog certification is required and you have not had a smog inspection, you may still pay your registration fees to avoid any late fees. However, you will not receive your new registration or year sticker until the smog information has been received by DMV.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:49 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

True, unless you buy the car out of state. Then you need to bring a smog certificate to DMV or AAA to title and register your car. You don't have to get it smogged again until the 6th year.
Old 03-08-2019, 07:02 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Read this thread. It is a California registration of a new ZR1 bought from McMulkin and shows what he did and what McMulkin did to help him.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alifornia.html
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
dekaliber (03-09-2019), ImpliedConsent (03-09-2019)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:20 PM
USCG
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Any truth to the dealer claim that the dealer is fined by Chevy if the title/registration not properly documented by that particular dealer?
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM
Jgreg0912
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

Most states it’s dealers responsibility to assure the manufacturer that the vehicle is properly titled. It is in the dealer agreement that no new vehicles will be transported overseas.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 PM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes in Washington state I had to do the emission test then take the paperwork to register it and finally title it !!! In Kansas I had to take my car to the state highway patrol where the only check the paperwork to see if it matches the vin on the car so they are only looking to make sure the car is not stolen !!!! Wayne
Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM
dekaliber
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wgood
In Kansas I had to take my car to the state highway patrol where the only check the paperwork to see if it matches the vin on the car so they are only looking to make sure the car is not stolen !!!! Wayne
Wait, if they're checking the VIN on the car, doesn't that mean you have the car in your possession? In my situation they are refusing to release the car unless I show them registration, which is impossible without having the car.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:14 PM
dekaliber
Intermediate

So after doing some research and calling around to DMV-licensed vehicle registration services, it sounds like I can at least initiate a registration, pay the registration fees, and get a "receipt of deposit fees" (RDF) that shows that I've posted fees as part of the registration process. From my conversation with them yesterday it sounded like this would be good enough to ensure them I'm not some sort of exporter, but I guess we'll find out.

To post fees, the applicant must:
 Be a California resident or the vehicle must be located in California (see Section 5 on the Application for Title or Registration [REG 343] form).
 Present a completed REG 343.
 Present at least one of the following:
—A completed Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form.
—A document showing the applicant is connected to the vehicle.
—A Statement of Construction (REG 5036) form, if the vehicle is a homemade trailer.

NOTE: Documents include, but are not limited to, the documents listed in the VR 2015-23 Out-of-State Temporary Permits memo (out-of-state one trip, drive out, or temporary permit, dealer purchase order, invoice, or bill of sale).
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/co...df?MOD=AJPERES

Read this thread. It is a California registration of a new ZR1 bought from McMulkin and shows what he did and what McMulkin did to help him.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...alifornia.html
Thanks for that link. I guess smog is yet another fun thing to look forward to once the car actually arrives, and this is really helpful to know what to anticipate for that.

Last edited by dekaliber; 03-09-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 04:03 PM
WFP
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't got my car yet but I believe this is how it is working for me. I paid the dealer for my state tax and I get a temp tag from the dealer to drive the car. They then cut a check for the tax made out to the state and give it back to me, this proves that they did not ship it overseas. They then ship it to me. I then take car and the dealer check to the state dmv for registration and pay any differences that may be due. Maybe??

Get notified of new replies

To Out of state dealers — normal to require proof of registration to release the car?

Quick Reply: Out of state dealers — normal to require proof of registration to release the car?