Sponsored by:

New Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:26 AM
JJB82
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Tires?

My C7 is a 2014 z51 with 8,500 miles on it. They are the original tires that came with the car. The tread looks good, but I was thinking that I should replace them due to their age. Would that be a waste of money? If I do replace them are there any recommendations anyone has? I’m looking more for performance than anything. As you can see from the mileage it’s not a daily driver and I barely drive it in the winter. In the winter I’ll take it out once a month or so when the roads are clean, but as far as the winter goes that’s about it.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

^^^
If you want to spend money on the car, find something else! If you are Tracking might consider but my street rod tires are 19 years old, I examine carefully an no indication of side wall cracks etc visible. It is in the garage when not at Shows so no UV sun damage.

If you want to buy new, and are driving when it's over 40F don't consider anything other than the OEM Michelins, IMO! GM and Michelin spent a lot of time and money matching the tires to the C7. They took the business away from \Goodyear, who tried, but lost! Frankly I was a bit concerned when I goy my September 2013 built Z51 that it had the same width tires as my C6 Z51! The engine had more hp and most important with variable came timing in the LT1 more low end torque. Sure enough found it was traction limited BUT so is my 2017 Grand Sport I replaced it with and it has 335 section with rear tires versus the 285 in the 2014 Z51.

However I was getting significantly higher lateral "g" force and folks have reported 20,000 to 25,000 tread life and some more. Being used to ~15,000 with my other 3 Vettes, IMO you can't find a better performance tire. IF you were driving frequently below 40F than an all-season tire might be a choice. BUT I drove mine last year when it was 24 F an did braking tests. It stopped better than the trucks and SUV's around here! However when it's below ~35 F I usually drive the wife's SUV but in Eastern SC that is infrequent when I need to drive. When it is

Last edited by JerryU; 03-11-2019 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:11 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I my self am looking at as3+ to try them. I currently have cup2 that i like alot due to it traction but the wheel chatter drives me nuts
Old 03-11-2019, 08:12 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd
I my self am looking at as3+ to try them. I currently have cup2 that i like alot due to it traction but the wheel chatter drives me nuts
The AS3+ are great, only wish I got the RF version but not sure if they are good on track like OP mentioned..

Last edited by V Vette; 03-11-2019 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by f1reb1rd
Yep, I had chatter with my September 2013 built 2014 Z51 the first cold day backing out of my garage turning full lock to go down my driveway. Did the research to find out why it was much worse thatn my C7 Z51 with the same width tires. It's the race car type construction on the Michelin tires, very low slip angels. This is a PDF of what I found: http://netwelding.com/Wheel_Chatter.pdf

Since then and in my current Grand Sport I simply turn the wheel less and make a "K" turn when below at 45F. In the little time it takes I think of the smiles those tires put on my face when hitting 1.2 "g" lateral acceleration peak around the large fountain at the end of my street!

Yep if you have to drive often when it's below 40F getting all-season tires makes some sense! BUT IMO if you're driving mostly when above 40 F (as I am in Easter SC) why did you but a Z06 (which I assume you have or the Z07 package) ?

Foolish to let "Chatter" drive you crazy when the workaround is so easy! Wish I could say that about the MS and Dreamweaver software I use every day!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-11-2019 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:42 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

I'll run my OEM tires till they wear out.
The following 2 users liked this post by orca1946:
Bavaria (03-11-2019), Rebel Yell (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:47 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The experts say you should replace tires at 6 years regardless of mileage. But since yours has been garaged most of the time and out of sun, etc. I wouldn't change them. You could go 10 years. Just my opinion, but I think I'm spot on.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:08 PM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

Rubber compounds are considered safe to store for up to 8 years from the day of production. That means as of today, tires produced in 2011 should still be considered road worthy if they're stored correctly. I.E. no constant uv exposure, no extremes of temperature swings, etc.

Extreme heat and extreme cold (unless it's winter tires) shortens this supposed storage life, as does exposure to the sun. So if the car's parked OUTSIDE all the time, or if it's tracked heavily (extreme heat) or exposed to winter storage under freezing temperatures, you CAN consider replacing the tire by carefully examining the sidewalls and tread surfaces for tell-tale signs of age related damage*. If not (i.e. car's parked indoors, under mostly above freezing temperatures, and never tracked)? Those tires are probably still good for at least another 3-4 years, if not longer**.

* Obvious signs of age related damage: Cracks and splits in the rubber compound, splicing of compound, exposed cords...etc. Look at both the inside and outside sidewall. Look for small cracks that would catch your fingernails. If any exist, they're a sign that the tires have aged out and you should consider replacing.

** The above time rule relate mostly to storage of unused tires. If your tire has seen some heat cycles, i.e. the tire ha gone from cold up to fully warm, operating temperature, and done so repeatedly, the molecular bonds of the rubber reform inside the compound and they tend to last much, MUCH longer than their storage life. Although from the tire manufacture industry they'd probably recommend you replace the tires every 5-8 years REGARDLESS just to be on the safe side. Being that I no longer work in that industry, I would probably just keep a close eye for signs of aging and keep using it, especially if you do not intend to track the car.

*** None of the above rules apply to r-comps like the Cup 2 tires, by the way. They age out much faster and 3 years is the limit for storage for r-comps. I made the mistake of putting on a set of slicks that was stored for about 3 years, and from the time the tires were mounted on the wheels, until I drove the car home, the tread near the sidewall started to split and delaminate. They're pretty much JUNK after 3 years.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:21 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

I'm with the others. I would not replace 2014 tires if they are not cracked. They're not yet 6 years old, the recommended replacement interval. Also, I had planned to ride the tires on my 2014 C7 until the tires were 7 years old as my C7 is stored in a garage when not on the street.

Get notified of new replies

To New Tires?

Quick Reply: New Tires?