Sponsored by:

Frustration with the Museum

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Gary Bass
Heel & Toe

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Frustration with the Museum

When I got my 2017 Z51, someone on this forum told me that it was a 1 of 1 due to the equipment ordered. Someone else told me that you could order a letter from the museum so I called, paid them $35 and they said they would request the information from the factory. I have been waiting a while so I called and found out that the factory has lost the production numbers for all years before 2018.

I spoke to Betty, who is the coordinator at the museum library, and she tells me that there is no possible way to verify production numbers. I told her that the charts were readily available online and I could send them to her. I then asked if she could send me a sample letter so I could make my own letter for framing and she said she could not help me counterfeit a letter. I had to laugh, its not currency.

The fact that I, and many others like me, are willing to pay $35 for a piece of paper that only has sentimental value with all proceeds going to the museum and they are willing to shut down the program due to some computer glitch completely boggles my mind.

I will contact the executive director to offer possible solutions, and I will let you know what response he gives me.

Popular Reply

03-11-2019, 12:56 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The entire "My Corvette Is Rare" comment is totally overdone. The truth is, unless it's a performance option, no one cares about whatever option makes anyone's Corvette rare, especially paint options. When I was looking at used Corvettes, as soon as I saw the word "rare" my thoughts immediately went to "overpriced" and I'd move on.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:47 AM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,163 Posts

Default Just the Facts

For us, our Museum delivery was like a clown car. One laughable thing after the other. Although none were funny. Nor fun.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:00 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
For us, our Museum delivery was like a clown car. One laughable thing after the other. Although none were funny. Nor fun.
Really, what happened?
Old 03-11-2019, 12:00 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

First World Problem. The fact that you have the data and are willing to "send it to Betty" so she can send you back a letter saying your car is unique strikes me as ludicrous in the extreme. Given the number of options you can choose on a Corvette, having a unique car is not unique. Apparently for them to send out a computer-produced letter for you to treasure requires access to factory records which they no longer have. Now you want them to put together one by hand on data you already have and could just as well do yourself? If you got such an official letter from the museum, which did not build the car, what would you do with it? File it away along with the build sheet until you sold the car, then try to use that as a reason to ask more for it. It's like blaming the museum for the fact that they can't do factory tours right now. Accept the fact they can no longer provide this 'essential service' with grace and move on. It's not the end of the world.
The following 15 users liked this post by mschuyler:
2vettefamily (03-11-2019), 4thC4at60 (03-11-2019), Big Lebowski (03-11-2019), Blu-Beast (03-11-2019), Bumpnrun (03-11-2019), dyoung (03-11-2019), Kent1999 (03-12-2019), Kevin A Jones (03-11-2019), Maxie2U (03-12-2019), nickTsandman (03-12-2019), owc6 (03-16-2019), Pablotheartist (03-12-2019), snappy2u (03-11-2019), Steve_R (03-11-2019), VNAMVET (03-12-2019) and 10 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2019, 12:56 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

The entire "My Corvette Is Rare" comment is totally overdone. The truth is, unless it's a performance option, no one cares about whatever option makes anyone's Corvette rare, especially paint options. When I was looking at used Corvettes, as soon as I saw the word "rare" my thoughts immediately went to "overpriced" and I'd move on.
The following 10 users liked this post by roadbike56:
4thC4at60 (03-11-2019), BEAR-AvHistory (03-11-2019), dvilin (03-11-2019), Kent1999 (03-12-2019), lancekl (03-14-2019), Maxie2U (03-12-2019), Pablotheartist (03-12-2019), rogergcam (03-12-2019), Steve_R (03-11-2019), VNAMVET (03-12-2019) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Gary, sorry to hear about these issues.

What makes mine rare is not what it was ordered with, but what it has on it now!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve Garrett:
Pablotheartist (03-12-2019), snappy2u (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 01:23 PM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
My NCM experience was everything I could ask for, what happened at your delivery?

Last edited by fumbling; 03-11-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Ih2lose
Melting Slicks

Received 330 Likes on 196 Posts

Well I got my letter, It was a waste,

I was expecting a letter that said

Of the XXXXX number of convertibles built in 2018 only XXXX had the 3LT package
Of the XXXXX 2018 convertible with the 3 lt package only XXXXXXX were yellow ,
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with the 3 LT only XXXXXX had the Performance exhaust
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow convertibles with 3 LT and performance exhaust only XXXXXX had Sueded interior option
Of theXXXXX 2018 Yellow convertibles with 3 LT and performance exhaust,sueded interior only XXXXXXX had the automatic
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with 3 LT and auto trans and performance exhaust with sueded interior XXXXXX had the Machined wheel
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with 3 LT and Auto trans and performance exhaust with sueded interior and the Machined wheel only XXXXXX had the carbon Flash package
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with 3 LT and Auto trans and performance exhaust with sueded interior,Machined wheels, carbon Flash package Only XXXXXX had the Jake stripe on the hood

This is what I was expecting , Instead i got a letter saying the car was special its one of one and the day it was built,

I can scan my letter to show it to you, I love the museum and what it does, but consider your self lucky they lost the info and you are 35.00 richer then me and we both have the same info .
Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,471 Likes on 766 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I agree with some comments above. Just because it is 1 of 1 does mean that much, unless it was a factory error or the like. Beyond that these kind of things typically only matter at such point the car is 25 yrs old or more. The two things that dictate price later is rarity and desireability, so just because it is rare does not always mean something unless very disreable. E.g. I knew a guy that had a very rare 1962 Rambler that he felt would be worth tens of thousands at least. No one ever offered more than $4k. I attend a lot of shows and I see a lot of showers with displays saying things like "1 of 20" etc, but the option that makes them rare is some obscure thing typically that really doesnt matter. I have also seen cars that would worth less possibly even though rare. E.g. odd, ugly, color combos of interior, exterior, etc. If it is ugly, desireability drops considerably. If you want cars that will be worth most latter, buy the most highly optioned, top model cars, and be prepared to hold them for years, unless they are something like serial #1......
Old 03-11-2019, 02:32 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Originally Posted by Ih2lose

Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with 3 LT and Auto trans and performance exhaust with sueded interior,Machined wheels, carbon Flash package Only XXXXXX had the Jake stripe on the hood

This is what I was expecting , Instead i got a letter saying the car was special its one of one and the day it was built,
Seriously? Do you have any idea at all what you are asking for here? What your list represents is a massive database of every option contained in separate data elements of a massive database for hundreds of thousands of cars subject to a query search that could pull all these options out in a cross-correlated manner to give you your list. To expect the museum to maintain such a massive database is unreasonable. Undoubtedly GM has such a database, but for them to grant access for that data to the museum is highly unlikely. The irony here is that GM publishes the raw data every year. It's not cross-correlated to your specific car, which is the hard part, but the information is there for you to do it yourself. This is published every year for the BASH and has always been available on the NCM web site, though I remember it as being kind of buried. It is also inevitably published on this very forum. So all you need to do is wait for the 2018 numbers to be published. You could easily "prove" you had a unique car by implementing a few equations.

Care to do the math?
The following 3 users liked this post by mschuyler:
09ZR1 (03-12-2019), 4thC4at60 (03-11-2019), VNAMVET (03-12-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 02:46 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I have the only 2014 Limerock Green with Adrenaline Red Interior with yellow brake calipers with blue stitching and the grey top option. Selling the car.... PM me if interested.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidC84B:
Majorhavok (03-12-2019), owc6 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,282 Likes on 13,960 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with the letter to the Executive Director. Let us know how it turns out. If it were me, and it bothered me that much, I would just ask for a refund of the $35 and move on. If you have the data from another source, create your own stat sheet based on that.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:15 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

Agreed. I maintain a registry for the GSCE's from 2017. Granted, I had to manually collect the data which I would think GM would be able to spit out pretty easily (with some development work) but even once you get that data together it becomes pretty complex the way people are looking at it. There are TONS of option combinations that very easily could make a car 1 of 1 and is it even really worth going to that level. When I look at the combinations available for folks that ask I focus on body style, transmission, if it has Z07 package or not and then maybe I go down to some of the high ticket items like GFX kits and stuff like that (since all of the GSCE's have the same colors and other options, that makes it a little easy). If people want, I can filter it down to how many have red calipers, or Jake center caps, etc., but those are easily swapped and replaced so to me they are not as relevant. And even with the things that can't easily be changed out that I'm filtering on, 1 of 1 is not like it used to be....it's not going to impact the value of the car unless you're selling to someone that really has no clue and those particular options are important to them.

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Seriously? Do you have any idea at all what you are asking for here? What your list represents is a massive database of every option contained in separate data elements of a massive database for hundreds of thousands of cars subject to a query search that could pull all these options out in a cross-correlated manner to give you your list. To expect the museum to maintain such a massive database is unreasonable. Undoubtedly GM has such a database, but for them to grant access for that data to the museum is highly unlikely. The irony here is that GM publishes the raw data every year. It's not cross-correlated to your specific car, which is the hard part, but the information is there for you to do it yourself. This is published every year for the BASH and has always been available on the NCM web site, though I remember it as being kind of buried. It is also inevitably published on this very forum. So all you need to do is wait for the 2018 numbers to be published. You could easily "prove" you had a unique car by implementing a few equations.

Care to do the math?
Old 03-11-2019, 03:39 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
I have the only 2014 Limerock Green with Adrenaline Red Interior with yellow brake calipers with blue stitching and the grey top option. Selling the car.... PM me if interested.
Oh man. I was almost there. I’m holding out for a blue top. Everything else is perfect !
The following users liked this post:
RapidC84B (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Rare can also mean a mistake that makes things worse from a valuation standpoint. I used to know a guy that had a rare numbers matching 57 fuelie that wasn't worth as much as other 57 fuelies despite being in excellent shape. He had everything except it had been ordered with the standard 3 speed manual transmission instead of the optional 4 speed. A very rare car and totally uninteresting to any collector.

Bill
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder

Good Point!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Gary Bass
Heel & Toe

Default scanned copy

Well I got my letter, It was a waste,

Of the XXXXX 2018 convertible with the 3 lt package only XXXXXXX were yellow ,
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with the 3 LT only XXXXXX had the Performance exhaust
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow convertibles with 3 LT and performance exhaust only XXXXXX had Sueded interior option
Of theXXXXX 2018 Yellow convertibles with 3 LT and performance exhaust,sueded interior only XXXXXXX had the automatic
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with 3 LT and auto trans and performance exhaust with sueded interior XXXXXX had the Machined wheel
Of the XXXXX 2018 Yellow Convertibles with 3 LT and Auto trans and performance exhaust with sueded interior and the Machined wheel only XXXXXX had the carbon Flash package

I can scan my letter to show it to you, I love the museum and what it does, but consider your self lucky they lost the info and you are 35.00 richer then me and we both have the same info .
If you could send me a copy of yours, I may try to mimic it in some way, thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Frustration with the Museum

Old 03-11-2019, 03:57 PM
boxcar18
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I received my letter stating it was 1 of 1 in October of 2015 for my 2014 Yellow convertible with black top & stripes. It just said I am pleased to tell you that you have the one and only 2014 Yellow Convertible with black top and the exact options as shown on Vin #xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Congrtulations on having 1 of 1 in 2014.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:05 PM
Gary Bass
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mschuyler
First World Problem. The fact that you have the data and are willing to "send it to Betty" so she can send you back a letter saying your car is unique strikes me as ludicrous in the extreme. Given the number of options you can choose on a Corvette, having a unique car is not unique. Apparently for them to send out a computer-produced letter for you to treasure requires access to factory records which they no longer have. Now you want them to put together one by hand on data you already have and could just as well do yourself? If you got such an official letter from the museum, which did not build the car, what would you do with it? File it away along with the build sheet until you sold the car, then try to use that as a reason to ask more for it. It's like blaming the museum for the fact that they can't do factory tours right now. Accept the fact they can no longer provide this 'essential service' with grace and move on. It's not the end of the world.
I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but I didn't invent the program, someone else did because there is obviously a market for it. The revenue goes to the museum and helps them pay the bills. I am not only concerned with getting mine, I want to see the program live on and generate revenue for the museum. To answer the only legitimate question you asked...I planned to frame it and put it in the garage with the poster, build sheet and window sticker. Its just a conversation starter, its not like I was going to list it on ebay as a rare version.

For those of you that are actually interested in the real topic here...I spoke to the executive director of the museum today and he said, "I'm not really a Corvette guy, I'm more into the finances". He told me to write the curator, who overseas the library, and has better visibility on these type of things.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Elk
Le Mans Master

Received 3,257 Likes on 1,723 Posts

. . . i got a letter saying the car was special its one of one and the day it was built
Everybody gets a ribbon for participating!

Quick Reply: Frustration with the Museum