C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just ordered my Range AFM disabler!

Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 PM
DGA3
CF Senior Member

Default I just ordered my Range AFM disabler!

Spring is slowly coming here in central Ohio, and the temps are beginning to stay at 40+ degrees, so I'll be getting my 2017 Z06 out from under its cover soon, unplugging the battery tender, and starting another year of awesome Corvette driving!

I'm always looking to make improvements on my vehicle and have read a lot on this forum about the Range AFM disabler and how well it works, so I ordered one today. I have absolutely no desire for my "Z" to run in 4-cylinder mode, and the Range should take car of that for good.

One question - is it necessary to see the small power light (or whatever the light indicates)? I ordered the blue, thinking it would be the least noticeable, but I was also thinking that I could cover the lighted strip with a piece of electrical tape (or something similar).

What do you think? Does the light serve a purpose? Would it hurt anything to cover it up?

Regardless, I'm sure my unit will be here in a few days (I purchased it directly from Range). At that time, I will plug it in and begin to enjoy my "fulltime" V8!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 PM
bjones7131
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DGA3 View Post
Spring is slowly coming here in central Ohio, and the temps are beginning to stay at 40+ degrees, so I'll be getting my 2017 Z06 out from under its cover soon, unplugging the battery tender, and starting another year of awesome Corvette driving!

I'm always looking to make improvements on my vehicle and have read a lot on this forum about the Range AFM disabler and how well it works, so I ordered one today. I have absolutely no desire for my "Z" to run in 4-cylinder mode, and the Range should take car of that for good.

One question - is it necessary to see the small power light (or whatever the light indicates)? I ordered the blue, thinking it would be the least noticeable, but I was also thinking that I could cover the lighted strip with a piece of electrical tape (or something similar).

What do you think? Does the light serve a purpose? Would it hurt anything to cover it up?

Regardless, I'm sure my unit will be here in a few days (I purchased it directly from Range). At that time, I will plug it in and begin to enjoy my "fulltime" V8!

You want notice it or at least I don't but I seldom drive at night. I think it goes into sleep mode after car is turned off and light goes out. I think light comes on just to show its powered up.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:14 PM
Michael T*
CF Member

I have the blue LED and is not very noticeable at night.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:23 PM
NashvilleGrandSport
CF Senior Member

Mines red. Not really noticeable.

I can't see (pun intended) where it would "hurt" to cover it if you wanted.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:24 PM
Roastum1
CF Member

I have the red light on mine. Not hardly noticable the light faces down so it may give you a little footwell lighting.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM
joemessman
CF Senior Member

Thanked 1,391 Times in 933 Posts

I can't see my blue light unless I hold my hand under it to see the reflection.
Old 03-11-2019, 02:28 PM
DTOM
CF Senior Member

Congrats - you're going to love it and wish you would have purchased it sooner.

I also have the red version to match the other red colors in the Z06.

While very, very unnoticeable, I did put a piece of electrical tape over it.

You won't need to see the light for anything. Just plug it in and forget about it.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Rebel Yell
CF Senior Member

Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,459 Posts

Mines red, and like Joe I have to hold my hand over it to make sure it's on. Also, you and your car will be happy that you bought the Range unit.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:12 PM
vader86
CF Senior Member

Mine is red and is not at all noticeable.

Hopefully yours will work correctly, as mine does not and they haven't gotten back to me on the issue.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:34 PM
dyoung
CF Senior Member

Just got mine in the mail. Only 5 working days for shipping to Canada.

Went out for a test ride. It might shift a bit more solidly.

I didn't have a problem before so time will tell.

It doesn't go in to V4 mode even in eco.

Last edited by dyoung; 03-14-2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 PM
jversluis
CF Senior Member

I got mine late last year and drove with it quite a few times in the 40 plus weather. I have a 17 z51 and it shifts like a different car. No more searching, going in and out of V4. Just very smooth and crisp. Its made a huge diff. I was starting to experience some weird shift patterns and maybe some mild shudder at times. So I will get the fluid update in spring for piece of mind but still run with the range. Mine is yellow and don't notice the lights as they point down and alittle towards your feet. You will love it.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 PM
KenHorse
AOC = All Out Communist
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Aurora, OR by way of Maui, HI. I have the heart of a Progressive - I keep it in a jar on my desk
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

I have an M7. No LED
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 AM
jbrickert

I have the yellow, unnoticeable during daylight, hardly noticeable at night.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:35 AM
DGA3
CF Senior Member

This is all positive news - thank you so much!
The Following User Says Thank You to DGA3 For This Useful Post:
Rebel Yell (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:04 AM
jimmie jam
CF Senior Member

Just ordered mine. there is a 10% discount with free shipping right now so take advantage of it if you are thinking about ordering one...FWIW. With 1,050 miles on the clock i'm hoping to start out right....
Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 AM
wrwillcox
CF Member

We have had the Range device for a little over a year now and have had no trouble. I also wondered about the lights, so I covered them with black tape and there is no noticeable difference in the operation of the device. After a while, though, you get used to the lights. I agree with the others, it eliminates that annoying V4 nonsense and it is worth the investment as far as I am concerned.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:23 AM
quickblue02
CF Member

Mine is ordered and arriving on Wednesday. I ordered if from the Range site with the 10% discount and free shipping. Looking forward to no more V4 mode. Plan to put tape over the blue LED's.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 AM
Demnos
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '19

when you plug it in the lights will flash a sequence that tells you what version of firmware that it has which can be helpful if you don't have the box anymore and need to know what version you have. Other than that I am like others in that i need to put my hand over the device to make sure that the light is on, otherwise i don't notice it. One other thing I noticed is if you plug it in without starting the car the light will stay on continuously after it does the sequence. Once you start the car and then turn the car off the light will go off. So normal operation seems to be flashing sequence when you plug it in, light stays on while driving around (or just having the car running), shut the car off and the light goes off.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Demnos For This Useful Post:
dyoung (03-12-2019), Formula52 (03-13-2019), joemessman (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 01:26 PM
Rayland

DGA3

The Range AFM disabler is a great supplement tool for inferior engineering.

Mine has red leds and I am not distracted by the lights at all. (V8.6R1-01/17/2019)

Caveat! As our cars age, we must subject them to emission controls performed by our State governments?

Our Forum members with the 2014 C7 are now beginning to require to pass state government emission regulations.

These members are complaining that the needed to remove their Range, for a short period of time in order to pass the test? (Cycling through several miles)
(Stating the obvious, you must remove in order to perform the emission test, LOL)

Moreover, others have reported Onstar indicating that the users has something plugged into their diagnostic port?

*Note, I have already pulled the Onstar fuse in my case.*

Many thanks,

Ray
Old 03-12-2019, 01:32 PM
Tool Hoarder
CF Senior Member

Considering an A8 purchase for the wife. Is there a way to have V4 available in eco mode, but locked out in the other mods; how the M7 is from the factory? I would like to use eco mode for road trips, but not around town in tour/sport/track mode.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: